Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar query

Poster: A snowHead
Heads up. The trains from Paris to the Alps for half term go on sale on Wednesday at 5am.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have recently seen headlines online, that a Spanish train provider is looking to run trains through the tunnel, from London to Paris, using spare slots.

if this is true, cannot find where i read it now, then hopefully a bit of competition will mean competitive prices, and further services to the alps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
terrygasson:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/27/spanish-rail-reveals-plans-for-high-speed-london-to-paris-link
https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/10/28/spain-is-planning-to-launch-a-high-speed-train-service-from-london-to-paris
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
terrygasson wrote:
hopefully a bit of competition will mean competitive prices, and further services to the alps

Or at the very least, the Pyrenees Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From gov.uk

From 1 November, those travelling from the UK to France by Eurostar who are not fully vaccinated will be asked to take a Covid-19 test upon arrival at Gare du Nord. Anyone testing positive for Covid-19 will be subject to mandatory self-isolation for 10 days (‘Entry requirements’ page)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yey Eurostar and French trains now booking for jan (might even be into feb)
£220 per head return. Decided to book a cheap £60 travel lodge near kings cross and get the early train.
Excited!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lucywuk, just booked for 8 of us on the same basis.
(but we're paying a bit of an uplift to get the 1st class on the SNCF - with the idea that we can use lounge access at Gare de Lyon, there being a 2 hour layover between E-star arrival and TGV departure, and it only takes 30 mins to cross town). Likewise excited!

And, looks like they're booking SNCF until 27th March.

Travel-lodge sounds a good idea for that early start at St P
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooh artic roll. Hmm £50 more gives us standard premier on E* and first class on TGV What do you get at gare de Lyon?
Btw found a cheap studio free cancellation at KingX nicer than travel lodge same price!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lucywuk, not sure, but lounges I've used at Euston and Manchester Piccadilly are similar to airline lounges - food, booze, peace and quiet... Will report back at the end of Jan. But the opportunity for a bit of sanity in a busy rail terminus is always appreciated!

(There's no table service on the 1st class SNCF on at Saturday - there is throughout the week - which is a shame, but if we can blag it at the station then so much the better)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As one can take the car on the train to Calais, is there a service to take it further south towards the Alps? A massive point against taking the train is the cost of hiring a car the other end & it would be nice to be able to be greener at a competitive price.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gordyjh wrote:
As one can take the car on the train to Calais, is there a service to take it further south towards the Alps? A massive point against taking the train is the cost of hiring a car the other end & it would be nice to be able to be greener at a competitive price.
There used to be, but not for a long time. We used it once IIRC, on an overnight service to Moutiers, but the Motorail service hasn’t run to the Alps for 20 or 30 years.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gordyjh wrote:

I guess most people who take the train choose resorts with easy/short transfers and use buses/taxi/funicular up to their accommodation. The transfers are so much shorter than from the airports to so many resorts, so no need to hire cars. We’ve done Val d/tignes/les arcs/la plagne/3 valleys all by train. A couple of times as packages and transfers included. A couple with chalets and they also offered transfers and a couple with funicular. So easy.

This year will be taxi. Which is the most £ per
Mile. Lol
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My particular thought was regarding going to Serre Chevallier. I normally drive as it’s only a short-head between flying/hiring a car or driving the whole way for 2 of us, 1 of whom hates flying. It seems impossible to go by train unless you win the Euromillions multiple rollover!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gordyjh, Serre Chevalier may be one of the few places in France for which train travel is reasonably practical, as I think there is still an overnight couchette service to Briancon - just a short taxi ride away
latest report
@Gordyjh, You have the choice of the Briancon sleeper or the TGV to Oulx which is linked by Resalp bus to Briancon.

If there are only two of you it must be cheaper to get the train than drive. I expect the TGV option would work out cheapest as if you were to get a sleeper compartment for 2 you would probably be charged an underoccupancy fee.
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:

We have been to lots of ski resorts by train and the only time we hired a car was to get from Annecy station to Les Saisies.
There are public buses to most of the tarentaise resorts from Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice stations.
We took a Resalp bus from Oulx station to Montgenevre.
There is a bus from Annecy to La Clusaz.

Sometimes we have treated ourselves to a private transfer as we are a family of four with a lot of luggage as we have our own skis etc. However the cost of a private transfer from Bourg St Maurice to La Rosiere for example would be much less than a private airport transfer.
snow report
Le Shuttle return ticket £252 round trip 1530 miles @ £.45 per mile £688.50 = £940.50

Train return for 2 Bury St Edmunds to Briancon £860 car hire for 1 week £288 = £1108 not including taxi to/from BSE

Obviously driving won’t be £.45 per mile, more like 1530 miles @ 40 miles to the gallon = 38.5 gallons @ £6.80 per gallon = £258.40 as road tax/insurance are already paid for in normal usage, so the round trip costs just over £500 + maybe £300 for overnight stop & dinner each way. The train isn’t even at the races!

Plus the convenience of having your own car to get to the various places on the SOPiB, lovely drive through France etc & driving looks very attractive!
snow report
You have forgotten tolls too.
For me the relaxing journey, rather than drive is a massive plus. You can leave lunchtime Friday and be at Briancon early Saturday. The sleeping time is spent travelling. Driving that far (for me ) is 2 days. Also car park costs at resort (some places for underground at least)

But each to their own. I’ve done all options and never used my car once in resorts.
latest report
@Gordyjh, not quite sure how you get to £860 on the train - we're paying £239 each return to Bourg, and that's including first class upgrade on the SNCF part of the journey, and 'refundable' uplift, it's not like we've gone for the no frills use ot or lose it chancer option. OK, I need to add on the £23 to get to/from London... so £262.

Is Briancon really an uplift of +50% on that? I'm surprised.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Rome to Rio gives 1-way price of "from £215" so I x4 for 2 people return. I see today it's £218 each way. This would include BSE-London via Cambridge but not getting across London from Kings X to St Pancras as I believe they're quite close.

@Lucywuk, I have indeed forgotten tolls but not the stress/boredom of travelling on public transport. Particularly stressful is having to change stations in London, then again in Paris. The whole expedition has the makings of a complete nightmare!
latest report
Gordyjh wrote:
...but not getting across London from Kings X to St Pancras as I believe they're quite close.....Particularly stressful is having to change stations in London...

Kings Cross - St Pancras is effectively one station - you just follow the arrows and appear at the Eurostar (though to be fair it is marginally quicker to ignore the arrows, go up to street level and walk across the road).
snow report
@DJL, just goes to show you can't trust London, giving the 1 place 2 names! It's very confusing to those of us who want nothing to do with the place!
snow report
Gordyjh, treat the journey as a fun adventure, give yourself plenty of time, enjoy each successful step, then sit back in the comfort of the French train (1st class, of course) and congratulate yourself on being so clever.
latest report
@Gordyjh, Interesting. and I can see why with that price you'd need to think hard.

Or maybe try a different broker Very Happy we use Rail Canterbury, as advised on here many moons ago and have never paid in excess of £300 return
ski holidays
@Jonpim, I can do that in the comfort of my own car with my best girl by my side and some great sounds on the stereo! We can stop as & when we like, get some decent food etc. The words "fun adventure" & "London" don't belong on the same page - there be dragons there! - & it doesn't seem you can catch the train at Ebbsfleet any more. At one time we did trips from Ebbsfleet to Avignon or Nimes without even having to change train.
latest report
Having traveled to london this morning on the same time train I was planning to get from village when I go skiing in Jan….. I have now decided to get the MUCH earlier train (a whole 1.5 hours earlier), which means I’ll be at St Pancras with loads of time, and probably without eating.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere in St Pancras (or “airside” even) that will do a decent breakfast?
ski holidays
Loads of places at St Pancras both sides. The better ones if it’s a full meal are before the checking in. But there’s deffo breakfast/coffee etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, don't go "airside" as there's not a whole lot of choice there. There's a much wider choice before you enter the Eurostar part of the station, and I think most of it is open from early.
latest report
Thanks guys. We’ll get to St Pancras just after 8am for a 10:22 train, so hopefully plenty of time for a big eat before we go through passport control.
ski holidays
Regarding the Paris Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon transfer, is the metro a feasible option with big ski bags, or should it be avoided?
latest report
skiing_snerrick wrote:
Regarding the Paris Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon transfer, is the metro a feasible option with big ski bags, or should it be avoided?

Personally I think so as long as they have wheels (imho)
Make sure your Eurostar seats are as forward as possible - shorter walk off Eurostar.
Try to get metro tickets in advance - previously we’ve bought from the Eurostar buffet 4 tickets (enough there and back) at a slight premium, but only pennies.
Straight off the train there are escalators no stairs, and escalators down to the metro. Biggest issue is through the gates if you have skis and case.
2 stops on the RER
Off the other end

Obviously if you are juggling cases, skis, children, or others who cannot be self sufficient and carry their own luggage, then it’s a pain. But as long as you are an adult and can carry whatever you are taking. Eg skis and a bag or rucksack - you’ll be fine.

We rent skis as decided even flying the pain and additional cost meant rentals are easier for us. So we have one big roller bag each with boots and helmet in the bag. Plus small rucksack/handbag for the journey
snow conditions
skiing_snerrick, if you approach the Nord-Lyon transfer Mary Poppins style, then you'll be fine.
Give yourself enough time (at least an hour) and treat it as a bit of fun.
I've done the trip with suitcase, bootbag and skis.
There are escalators: most of them work most of the time - if you meet one not working there is usually another further on.
The tricky bit is getting throught the gates without being caught in the jaws, and working out just how the luggage gates work.
See https://www.seat61.com/changing-stations-in-paris.htm
latest report
Thanks both! That's assuaged some fears of the train for me.
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:
...Make sure your Eurostar seats are as forward as possible - shorter walk off Eurostar. ...

But offset by a longer walk at St Pancras! Definitely worth doing if you only have a short time (say under an hour) before your Gare du Lyon departure, but otherwise it doesn't make a lot of difference in aggregate.
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, when I was in Paris in September there were testing kiosks everywhere. Would be astonished if there wasn’t one at the Gare du Nord - there were 2/3 at Gare Montparnasse and PS wasn’t required for public transport at that point.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy