Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zauchensee - a few questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

After much deliberation earlier this year, we've booked into Zauchensee for Feb half-term (19th to 26th Feb). We're starting to look at some of the details (am feeling mildly optimistic we'll be able to travel).
Travelling with friends, so 2 families of 4 people. We're staying at the Zauchenseehof.
Kids are aged 6, 6, 8, 10 and never been skiing before - this is our first time skiing as a family. One adult never been before, another adult is a pretty nervous skier. Two adults are competent on reds (though not outstanding and may have the odd private lesson).

I've done a bit of research, but still have a few key questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience of the Schischule Walchhofer ski school - this seems based in the hotel.
2. Any advice on the best way to get transfers from Salzburg airport? We're arriving separately as flying from different airports. Would rather avoid hiring a car if possible, as don't expect to use it once there. A reasonably priced private transfer would be ideal.
3. How busy can we expect it to be for Feb half term? I think Upper Austria have school holidays, but not Salzburg region or Vienna (nor the main German areas for that matter). I've been scared off by stories of manic busy French pistes, so hoping this will be a bit queiter.
4. Looks like there has been a recent new Panorama Link between Flachauwinkl and Flachau - in theory opening up the available ski area considerable. However, to get across the motorway at Flachauwinkl, what's the best way to do this? Is it connected, or is there a bus? Is it worth the better skiers heading over to that area, or is Zauchensee / Flauchauwinkl sufficient (recognising we won't be racking up miles being tied to ski school times).
5. Any tips on sledging etc for the kids in the area?
6. Any recommendations on mountain restaurants?
7. In balancing convenience of ski school, nice pistes, hopefully quiet-ish for half-term, I recognise that the village is rather small and therefore apres-ski a bit lacking. It's a family trip, so no big deal (I have a long weekend planned in Morzine late January). However, if a couple of us wanted to head out in Flachau for some nightlife, is it possible to get taxis there and back?

Any other advice would be warmly received. There isn't piles of information about Zauchensee out there.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pippo9, what sort of nightlife in Flachau? Yes you can easily get taxis

There is a little shuttle bus to get across the motorway but you then have to get ...I think...3 lifts to the panoramabahn. If you are pretty tied to ski school times zauch and Flachauwinkl is probably enough, but if not give it a go...but Flachau will be rammed at half term. You can also get the bus to Flachau from the bottom of the highport lift, doesn't take long but then you've got 3 lifts to the top so probably 6 and 2 3s.

You should be able to get a private minibus transfer very reasonably. Check out Huber Reisen or ask your hotel. Most taxis advertise fixed prices .. try Google. The prices to Flachau haven't changed in 10 years.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. The ski school is owned by Michael Walchhofer's family (as is the hotel). The only other ski school I know in Zauchensee is Balla. But sorry, never used either.
2. Plenty of taxi companies arrange transfers in winter. Try habersatter-reisen.com or taxihuber.at, but there are others.
3. February is busy, but the busiest week tends to be the first week when Vienna and NÖ have school break. The week you mention is holiday for OÖ, but also Fasching so Bayern will be on holiday.
4. The link between Flachau and Flachauwinkl (Panoramabahn) opened last season. There will be a gondola link between Zauchensee and Flachauwinkl, but not until the season 2022-2023. For now there is a regular bus shuttle at the bottom.
5. Lots of sledging, firstly in Zauchensee itself, but also in Altenmarkt, Radstadt and Flachau.
6. Adlerhorst and Rauchkopfhütte.
7. The village of Zauchensee is very small, but there are a number of hotel bars. Taxis to Altenmarkt and Flachau are available.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pippo9, Zauchensee is one of my favourite places, and it has the advantage at half term of being very quiet in the evenings as there’s not a lot of nightlife.

For intermediate to advanced skiers it has a lot to offer, especially with Flachauwinkel easily reached. For beginners, much of that is out of reach or just plain scary, but there is still enough to keep the learners happy. Forget Flachau and Wagrain - they’ll be much busier and while some of the skiing is good, it’s not worth the effort of getting there at busy times.

For mountain restaurants my favourite is Gamskogelhutte, both due to the location, atmosphere and views, and the food. Standard Austrian fare, but done very well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Burgstall Hutte on the way down to Flachauwinkl is great
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Does anyone have any experience of the Schischule Walchhofer ski school - i have done only private course but really enjoyed.
2. Any advice on the best way to get transfers from Salzburg airport? We're arriving separately as flying from different airports. Would rather avoid hiring a car if possible, as don't expect to use it once there. A reasonably priced private transfer would be ideal. - https://www.tirol-taxi.at/ you dont need a car. Zauchensee is ski in ski out
3. How busy can we expect it to be for Feb half term? I think Upper Austria have school holidays, but not Salzburg region or Vienna (nor the main German areas for that matter). I've been scared off by stories of manic busy French pistes, so hoping this will be a bit queiter. -- i will be busy...but not as the next week : 26 Feb till 5 March.
4. Looks like there has been a recent new Panorama Link between Flachauwinkl and Flachau - in theory opening up the available ski area considerable. However, to get across the motorway at Flachauwinkl, what's the best way to do this? Is it connected, or is there a bus? Is it worth the better skiers heading over to that area, or is Zauchensee / Flauchauwinkl sufficient (recognising we won't be racking up miles being tied to ski school times). - phuii....really dont know. Depend on your level
5. Any tips on sledging etc for the kids in the area? - already answered
6. Any recommendations on mountain restaurants?- already answered
7. In balancing convenience of ski school, nice pistes, hopefully quiet-ish for half-term, I recognise that the village is rather small and therefore apres-ski a bit lacking. It's a family trip, so no big deal (I have a long weekend planned in Morzine late January). However, if a couple of us wanted to head out in Flachau for some nightlife, is it possible to get taxis there and back? - there is not a village. There are a bunch of 4-5 Hotels and Appartmentes. Except a 3* Hotel all the others are 4 ot 4* superior
You will be on the best hotel (or one of the bests) in Zauchensee. Why bother to go to Flachau? Except that there are a couple of bars near your hotel. However you could find a taxi if you want
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
turms2 wrote:
1. Does anyone have any experience of the Schischule Walchhofer ski school - i have done only private course but really enjoyed.
2. Any advice on the best way to get transfers from Salzburg airport? We're arriving separately as flying from different airports. Would rather avoid hiring a car if possible, as don't expect to use it once there. A reasonably priced private transfer would be ideal. - https://www.tirol-taxi.at/ you dont need a car. Zauchensee is ski in ski out
3. How busy can we expect it to be for Feb half term? I think Upper Austria have school holidays, but not Salzburg region or Vienna (nor the main German areas for that matter). I've been scared off by stories of manic busy French pistes, so hoping this will be a bit queiter. -- it will be busy...but not as the next week : 26 Feb till 5 March.
4. Looks like there has been a recent new Panorama Link between Flachauwinkl and Flachau - in theory opening up the available ski area considerable. However, to get across the motorway at Flachauwinkl, what's the best way to do this? Is it connected, or is there a bus? Is it worth the better skiers heading over to that area, or is Zauchensee / Flauchauwinkl sufficient (recognising we won't be racking up miles being tied to ski school times). - phuii....really dont know. Depend on your level
5. Any tips on sledging etc for the kids in the area? - already answered
6. Any recommendations on mountain restaurants?- already answered
7. In balancing convenience of ski school, nice pistes, hopefully quiet-ish for half-term, I recognise that the village is rather small and therefore apres-ski a bit lacking. It's a family trip, so no big deal (I have a long weekend planned in Morzine late January). However, if a couple of us wanted to head out in Flachau for some nightlife, is it possible to get taxis there and back? - it is not a village. There are a bunch of 4-5 Hotels and Appartmentes. Except a 3* Hotel all the others are 4 or 4* superior
You will be on the best hotel (or one of the bests) in Zauchensee. Why bother to go to Flachau? Except that there are a couple of bars near your hotel. However you could find a taxi if you want

ps i love the place. We go for summer holidays every summer since 2016 (i think). Was my first resort in Austria sometime in 2007... Razz
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winkelalm on the flachauwinkl side, at the top of the first lift (sunshine shuttle)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pippo9, one to remember ( especially for improving children ) as your week goes on is that no more than a few minutes on the ( free ) bus down the valley is Radstadt-Altenmarkt. A delightful little hill with a handful of cracking pistes and more than a couple of great huts !

You'll have a great week
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timberwolf, excellent suggestion
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pippo9 wrote:
Hi all

After much deliberation earlier this year, we've booked into Zauchensee for Feb half-term (19th to 26th Feb). We're starting to look at some of the details (am feeling mildly optimistic we'll be able to travel).
Travelling with friends, so 2 families of 4 people. We're staying at the Zauchenseehof.
Kids are aged 6, 6, 8, 10 and never been skiing before - this is our first time skiing as a family. One adult never been before, another adult is a pretty nervous skier. Two adults are competent on reds (though not outstanding and may have the odd private lesson).

I've done a bit of research, but still have a few key questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience of the Schischule Walchhofer ski school - this seems based in the hotel.
2. Any advice on the best way to get transfers from Salzburg airport? We're arriving separately as flying from different airports. Would rather avoid hiring a car if possible, as don't expect to use it once there. A reasonably priced private transfer would be ideal.
3. How busy can we expect it to be for Feb half term? I think Upper Austria have school holidays, but not Salzburg region or Vienna (nor the main German areas for that matter). I've been scared off by stories of manic busy French pistes, so hoping this will be a bit queiter.
4. Looks like there has been a recent new Panorama Link between Flachauwinkl and Flachau - in theory opening up the available ski area considerable. However, to get across the motorway at Flachauwinkl, what's the best way to do this? Is it connected, or is there a bus? Is it worth the better skiers heading over to that area, or is Zauchensee / Flauchauwinkl sufficient (recognising we won't be racking up miles being tied to ski school times).
5. Any tips on sledging etc for the kids in the area?
6. Any recommendations on mountain restaurants?
7. In balancing convenience of ski school, nice pistes, hopefully quiet-ish for half-term, I recognise that the village is rather small and therefore apres-ski a bit lacking. It's a family trip, so no big deal (I have a long weekend planned in Morzine late January). However, if a couple of us wanted to head out in Flachau for some nightlife, is it possible to get taxis there and back?

Any other advice would be warmly received. There isn't piles of information about Zauchensee out there.

Cheers.

#Been to Zauchensee a number of times. And it is a really great place to learn to ski, particularly for kids. For us we wanted the children to be keen, so accommodation proximity to the slopes and ski school was key. So a really good choice.

1.Schischule Walchofer is excellent, both of my kids learned with them over a couple of years, Michel Walchofer's sister taught my son to ski. I skied with one of the instructors on a couple of occasions, A seriously good ski school in my opinion.
2. Salzburg airport is pretty close, we just booked a taxi each time. You really don't need a car.
3. I never really saw any queues.
4. There is a free bus which runs from the bottom of the Highliner across (under) the motorway) to Flachauwinkl. Ultimately it depends on your level and how you structure your day, on any day with freshies you won't want to go anywhere else!
5. ski them hard and they'll just want to sleep anyway. But Altenmarkt and Radstadt have tobogganing, Radstadt is I think a little longer, but why not do both.
6. WE try and get around them all, favorite for hot choc of the way home in the evening in the children's 1st year was Rosskopfhutte. on my last visit I wasn't impressed by Sonnalm, the menu was poor. otherwise, I have always been happy with mountain restaurants, and those in the arena. As you can ski easily down to Zauchensee its self the hotels are a pretty good place for a break or lunch as well.
7.Yep it is a pretty quiet place, If for some reason you crave a bit of nightlife, taxis are always available to Flachau, Radstadt, Altenmarkt, Schladming. or relax and enjoy the hotel facilites.

We still make a point of spending a day atleast in zauchensee if we are in one of the nearby resorts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone - some really useful suggestions and advice. Also encouraging to read some positive feedback that makes me believe we'll have a great time.

Here's hoping it all goes ahead, but that it's not too busy on the pistes when we're there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zauchensee is also a great place to propose to one’s prospective wife. Just thought it worth mentioning, just in case anyone has this as a question… Laughing snowHead Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
Zauchensee is also a great place to propose to one’s prospective wife. Just thought it worth mentioning, just in case anyone has this as a question… Laughing snowHead Very Happy

Given I'm going with the incumbent wife, I don't think it'll be a good idea for me to propose to the prospective wife on this particular trip.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pippo9 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Given I'm going with the incumbent wife, I don't think it'll be a good idea for me to propose to the prospective wife on this particular trip.....

Laughing
ski holidays
Oh, the shuttle bus between Zauch and FW is every 10 minutes.
latest report
We had a trip to Flachau that included a lovely day or two skiing in Zauchensee a few years ago - the kids in the group would have been age about 6-11 at the time - so am sure you'll have a blast, I can see how you could easily spend a week there with young children and more novice skiers. Enjoy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy