Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double wheelie ski bag - compressible when stored

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm after a double wheeled ski bag. I know the Dakine Fall Line is popular on here.

Trouble is that I need the bag to be compressible when not in use. Most double sku bags take up a lot of space when not in use.

I don't know how small the Dakine or other similar bags fold up?

The Douchebag seems to do the job, from its advertisement, but it's pretty expensive for a ski bag.

Appreciate your thoughts

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use n Ellis Brigham double team roller. I open up the zip and fly then fold again, inside the remaining 1/3rd. I then use the remaining flaps to wrap around this and zip up. I end up with a bag the size of a cabin suitcase.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a douchebag. As advertised, it is very useful to roll up and store.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the 190cm Dakine Fall line - when not in use it is simply folded over. Might not be great for the protective padding at the fold, over time. Mine sits flat in the attic with skis inside during off season.

Douchebag does sound like the best thing for your needs - and while pricey, you'll never need to buy another bag should your quiver change (longer/shorter skis in the future) and it's resale value won't plummit as much if you decide to part ways..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Douchebag (god I hate the name) rolls up small enough to not take up too much room in the loft (or in gamsbock and snowpenguin’s cellar, which is where mine is right now). It’s very big when in use tho. I actually prefer my non-wheeled over the shoulder dakine bag most of the time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rossyl wrote:
......The Douchebag seems to do the job, from its advertisement, but it's pretty expensive for a ski bag.....

and its durability is rubbish.

At the recent trade show I had a play with the new version of the Scott Ski Wheel Premium Bag which now completely rolls up but unfortunately it's not available until the Autumn. It's excellent and at circa £135 it's well worth the wait if you can survive without this season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personal experience on the durability of the Douchebag?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take a look at the one Decathlon sell, £80. I have one and it's fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But does it fold up really small for storage?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rossyl wrote:

I’ve only flown with it 3 times (this season) but I can see some evidence of the reviews I’ve read - one or two of the plastic spine bits starting to wear on the material. No holes yet, and at worst this would only be cosmetic in the outer material (I hope).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rossyl, I have one of these, https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Rossignol-Soul+Short+Haul+Wheel+190+Ski+Bag-492086/

This video shows how it folds, not quite the same bag,http://youtube.com/v/20qqm6-MEDc

Have used it for two trips and seems to be OK
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Double sporttube, telescopic and excellent hard casecprotection forc2 pairs of skis, like this:
https://m.tiso.com/blue-sptu-1139814/sport-tube-series-2-double-ski-case-black-blue-sptu-1139814/100000303836/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo-LXvcmw2QIV4bvtCh363g-uEAQYASABEgKHbPD_BwE

And I have a used one for sale £50 pick up in Sheffield or arrange delivery
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rossyl wrote:
But does it fold up really small for storage?
Down to about a third of the full length.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
Double sporttube, telescopic and excellent hard casecprotection forc2 pairs of skis, like this:
https://m.tiso.com/blue-sptu-1139814/sport-tube-series-2-double-ski-case-black-blue-sptu-1139814/100000303836/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo-LXvcmw2QIV4bvtCh363g-uEAQYASABEgKHbPD_BwE

And I have a used one for sale £50 pick up in Sheffield or arrange delivery

Sorry, but possibly the least suitable suggestion for the OPs quest in looking for “a compressible ski bag”. This is the exact opposite (I have one also, in addition to the douchebag)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
radar wrote:
@rossyl, I have one of these, https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Rossignol-Soul+Short+Haul+Wheel+190+Ski+Bag-492086/

This video shows how it folds, not quite the same bag,http://youtube.com/v/20qqm6-MEDc

Have used it for two trips and seems to be OK

Thanks very much. For some reason I cannot get your video link to work.
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:
rossyl wrote:

I’ve only flown with it 3 times (this season) but I can see some evidence of the reviews I’ve read - one or two of the plastic spine bits starting to wear on the material. No holes yet, and at worst this would only be cosmetic in the outer material (I hope).

Thanks very much. It doesn't need to be pretty, but as you say, if it wears through then it's definitely not worth it. Be grateful if you could update if you take it abroad again. Thanks
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
rossyl wrote:
......The Douchebag seems to do the job, from its advertisement, but it's pretty expensive for a ski bag.....

and its durability is rubbish.

Not in my experience. My bag has done 5 or 6 trips MEL-ZRH-StA, and is only showing cosmetic scrapes and scratches.

Very happy with it. Takes 2 pairs of skis, plus a heap of other gear, easily.
snow report
+1 on the decathlon double bag (which takes up to 4 pairs of skis). I think it folds to similar/slightly larger than the douchebag.
ski holidays
+2 on the Decathlon double bag, it folds in thirds and one of the straps clips to hold it in that configuration. Obviously not as foldable as the DB but then a lot of reports on the poor durability of the DB. Better packing down compared to the Dakine Fall Line (I have the 190cm version which I'll be selling) and adjustable length so no redundant space at the top.
snow report
@rossyl, sorry just picked up your note, if you copy and paste the link into the browser you should be able to see it, my bag is the smaller 2 ski version
ski holidays
Just got one of the new 18/19 Scott #267445 Ski Wheel Premium Bags in for evaluation. L210cm x W30cm x H20cm, only 2.36kg in weight & it rolls up pretty snug. List is £160 but I'll have them for £135. Here's a few pics:

snow conditions
As long as they write 190cm on it in big letters for the benefit of airline desks it'll be fine
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
As long as they write 190cm on it in big letters for the benefit of airline desks it'll be fine

Not an issue as you simply roll/shorten it down to the length of your skis Cool
latest report
spyderjon wrote:

Not a great help to a man who has 191cm directors...

Like Dave, I'd prefer to have a bag which claims to be 190cm long even if it's not...
snow report
No issues with my douche bag on multiple trips.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Just got one of the new 18/19 Scott #267445 Ski Wheel Premium Bags in for evaluation. L210cm x W30cm x H20cm, only 2.36kg in weight & it rolls up pretty snug. List is £160 but I'll have them for £135. Here's a few pics:

Jon - does it sag in the middle when loaded without skis?
Guessing as it has no structure that it would?
snow report
dp wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Not a great help to a man who has 191cm directors...

Like Dave, I'd prefer to have a bag which claims to be 190cm long even if it's not...

I've no idea what you're talking about. And AFAIK there isn't a ski bag on the market that has its length printed on it.

The new Scott bag is as long or as short as you want in to be, depending upon the length of your skis.
latest report
@spyderjon, my Dakine Fall Line has '190cm' printed on the outside, however to @dp point, my 191 Directors comfortably fit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
AFAIK there isn't a ski bag on the market that has its length printed on it.

Conversely, practically every ski bag I've ever come across has had it's length printed on the side. My double EVOC bag certainly does (I blacked it out because it annoyingly states 195cm in bright white letters, when the airline maximum is 190); and as @big_ben points out, the Dakine Fall Line range preferred by a lot of snowHeads also features the length written on the outside.

Hence why, I think it'd be nice if manufacturers of bags larger than 190cm long would write 190cm on them anyway, and refrain from pointing out in huge white letters on the side of a black bag that it is oversize.
ski holidays
I got a double Lokker (locker.co.uk) which I was stunned when it arrived in a tiny box.
Very light too, though that does then mean it is low on padding. However I just pack clothes in it to fill out the weight. Sorted.
latest report
@dp, Have you used your EVOC, ie problems at check in ??
snow conditions
@dp, seen your post on another thread.
Quote:

To be honest, even most off-piste skis these days are within 190cm so I suspect your issue is a fairly niche problem.
That said, my ski bag is 195cm long and has travelled on about 10-12 BA flights in the last 2 years, and has never been rejected.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 25-05-18 16:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
dp wrote:

Conversely, practically every ski bag I've ever come across has had it's length printed on the side. My double EVOC bag certainly does (I blacked it out because it annoyingly states 195cm in bright white letters, when the airline maximum is 190); and as @big_ben points out, the Dakine Fall Line range preferred by a lot of snowHeads also features the length written on the outside.

Hence why, I think it'd be nice if manufacturers of bags larger than 190cm long would write 190cm on them anyway, and refrain from pointing out in huge white letters on the side of a black bag that it is oversize.

Buy label from shop. Print 189cm in big letters on it. Stick to bag. Win.
latest report
@rossyl, +1 for Douchebag, excellent product.

The SCOTT looks pretty good too from Jons photos above, although i'd question those fastenings that the shoulder strap is fastened to. look a bit flimsy, albeit i'd probs take that strap off anyway so long as it has a pull handle.
snow report
@dp

Quote:

I have an Evoc roller bag which easily does 4-5 pairs of skis, or 2 pairs plus clothes etc.

How do you get 4-5 pairs of skis in it, I make that approx 30-35 kg ??
snow conditions
bruisedskier wrote:
@dp

Quote:

I have an Evoc roller bag which easily does 4-5 pairs of skis, or 2 pairs plus clothes etc.

How do you get 4-5 pairs of skis in it, I make that approx 30-35 kg ??

????? Flew to and from Japan with 4 pairs + one pair of boots @23kg
snow conditions
@bruisedskier, typical weight of skis IME - between 1.5kg and 2.5kg per ski, so between 3 and 5kg per pair.
So 5 pairs at the lighter end of the scale would be 15kg, and 25kg at the heavy end.
To get 30-35kg, you'd need to be doing 7kg a pair which would be 3.5kg per ski.

I have Whitedot Ragnarok Trads which are 190cm long, 118mm underfoot and wood core, and come in at 2.3kg per ski... so if you're doing 3.5kg per ski I can only presume your skis are either 2 metres long and 180mm underfoot; or made of lead.
latest report
Bindings, raceplates. My Fischers are teeny tiny toothpicks but weigh the same as a small black hole.
ski holidays
@dp, I weighed my new Evoc bag with 2 pairs of skies, total weight 19 kg, not much room for clothes.

Next up I was thinking of putting the bindings in my carry on bag.
snow report
I know this has probably been asked loads of times - but if travelling with 23kg allowance on EJ can you carry skis/ poles in these type of roller bags and surround with clothes etc and so long as you keep to 23kg allowance then don't have to pay ski carriage as an extra?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy