Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
It’s actually spelt “Evi”, but pronounced “Effi”. She genuinely thinks she can sing (and apparently takes it very badly if anyone suggests otherwise), but , objectively speaking, she sounds like a cat being strangled.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I remember a night 2 years ago in the Hinterhag. I thought she was selling up though? But that convo might have been lost in translation / beers!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-03-22 22:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
radar wrote:
@RetroBod, Effi is the owner of the Hinterhag Alm, I think it was meant as a shout as it's a surprise to see her given she lost her son unexpectedly last year.

I was there on the patio the singer was singing ,effi came along got up on the stage and to much adoration from the crowd explained to all what has happened over the last couple of years .Then sang along for a few whilst still throwing her little hearts .I found it particularly moving (I’m a hard bitten yorkshireman)made even more so when she recognised us from years gone by ,she then offered all and sundry a drink in memory of her son and vowed to revive the hinterhag because ——-she loves us all .We will be there if possible tomorrow
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We will be there if possible tomorrow

On the other hand, Spacey’s on at the Soul House (as he was this evening and yesterday - and in great form)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi folks

Please can anyone who has visited recently advise what check in/time to get through security is like at Salzburg, do you need extra time. Seeing some reports of people at a number of uk airports finding 3 hours before departure is touch and go?

Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
Hi folks

Please can anyone who has visited recently advise what check in/time to get through security is like at Salzburg, do you need extra time. Seeing some reports of people at a number of uk airports finding 3 hours before departure is touch and go?

Thanks

If you’re departing from Salzburg on one of the next few Saturdays, 3 hours ought to be absolutely fine. Any other day and an hour and a half would be ample.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ribblevalleyblue, we went through in late January, not sure if that’s recent enough, no issues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The last couple of days has been brilliant ,the run down to the link to zell was in as good a nick as we’ve ever seen it .The trip over to zell wasn’t as successful due to a lift closure and that’s our third visit and Mrs ski for fun has said it will be her last ,a lot of folk on the slopes and the biggest queue s.However leogang was lovely and lunch at the kraller alm at the bottom in the sun was excellent and easy to get a table. The hinterhag continues its resurgence a big and growing crowd all joining in the revelries even spacey was there helping and stepped in whilst others had a short break .It certainly is a marmite experience but most there seem to enjoy their marmite spread thickly.Today the sun is shining and another blue ski ,the plan is to head in the anti-clockwise direction from Saalbach
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definite transition today to full on spring conditions. Had great fun off Reiterkogel / Spieleck in the rapidly softening snow, lovely lunch at Rosswaldhutte and then went to Zwolferkogel and Schattberg later on.

As a group we've been enjoying Thurneralm for a drink up the hill before skiing down.

Last day tomorrow, at the end of a week of blue skies. Our first time to Saalbach / Hinterglemm and we'll definitely be coming back. Great lift system and two great villages. We've had a fantastic week. I'll try and write a bit of a trip report next week, although I'm not sure I'm going to add much to the fantastic info that's already here from tatmanstours, radar, et al.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RobMcQ, many thanks (but sssshhhh...don’t tell everyone! wink )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RobMcQ, Cheers . looking forward to the Mpreis wine review Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thoroughly enjoyed Fieberbrunn today, especially piste 110a, and lunch at the Wildalpgatterl.
Perhaps the biggest revelation for me in the last week has been the ascendancy of the Soul House as perhaps Saalbach’s premier après-ski venue.
With Peter Thederan’s excellent Swedish band, and Spacey (standing in for the band over the last few nights), it really has been excellent.
Mind you, the Hinterhag has also been creaking into action (albeit all outside), and the Bergeralm and Spitzbub have been full to capacity. In fact it would seem that the Spitzbub has been doing so well recently that it’s dispensed with its usual live après-ski entertainment (courtesy of Spacey).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If anyone needs a transfer from the Saalbach, Zell or Kaprun area to Salzburg Airport tomorrow morning (Sat 12th), we have space for up to three people. Aiming to get to the airport around 12.15pm. €30 per person. Please message me if interested.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saalbach Solo Snowheads
A new Messenger chat group

I don’t know if this is a good idea or not, but a similar chat group on Messenger has worked quite well for a few Saalbach residents and regular visitors to Saalbach.
The intention is that anyone who is a member of Snowheads and also on Messenger, and who is skiing alone in Saalbach and would like some company for skiing and/or après, can communicate via this group chat.
It remains to be seen whether it’s a good and useful idea, and whether more recruits will be added to the few people I’ve invited to form the embryonic group.

Just message me if you want to be added.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We used Austrian Transfer for the first time using the shuttle service, there were lots of Rudigier (who operate the service) drivers doing private transfers to Saalbach.

We got to the desk 10 minutes before departure time at 2pm and there were a few other’s waiting, by 10 past I thought I would give them a call as everyone of their drivers was doing a private one, a very nice man answered the phone and said he would call the driver who appeared shortly after, he was probably running late, but as we were nervous first timers though it best to double check.

There were eight of us in the mini bus, so fully loaded, six to Saalbach and two to Zell who were dropped of first, they were on the Saalbach side of Zell. Then on to Saalbach we were the last drop off, we are near Die Sonne, arrived at 4.15pm.

The driver was very pleasant and chatty, you pay the driver either cash or card at Salzburg airport.

We thought it worked out well , we have had the experience with Holiday Shuttle when they split the passengers up in Saalbach of heading down to Jausern and back up again and it’s taken longer.

Would I use them again, yes. If you are a group of four then the private transfer is exactly the same cost as the shuttle.

I do think Holiday Shuttle are missing a trick , our flight was delayed so we arrived at the same time as a number of flights, it’s was the busiest I’ve seen passport control and the baggage hall, when we walked out there must have been at least half a dozen Rudigier drivers waiting to go to Saalbach.

http://www.austriatransfer.com/
snow conditions
Sadly our Saalbach trip this week is off due to offspring No1 contacting the dreaded ‘Rona 3D ago. But having found and booked Austria Transfer a few weeks ago, via this thread, it’s worth mentioning how graciously and promptly they cancelled our booking. Will book again in future
!
(Ski school/hire and hotel a close second in service stakes but required a copy of “official” test cert so had to faff and get an unecessary PCR)
ski holidays
Just spent my first ever morning skiing in Saalbach and impressed by what I've seen so far. Got the Bernkogelbahn up from the village and played around there. Up Kholmais now and looking forward to some apres. It's been a while.
ski holidays
Went down piste 168 today as we thought probably only chance this week as temps will melt the bottom. So glad we did, millionaire skiing on perfect empty piste until hettcherhutte, might last another day given temps , be surprised if it survives 2. Given temp thought would be more slushy but pleasantly surprised coming back from leogang at 230 post chicken man. Now in Montana royal, sun, tunes, views, life doesn’t get much better
latest report
God it was hot today and the lower slopes suffered as a result. The last hour wasn't pleasant
snow report
radar wrote:
@Shipleb, Welcome to Snowheads, I ask a similar question a while back of one of the local ski instructors as there was also drag lift shown on the map and another blue run, the answer was that they don't exist anymore and he couldn't understand why they were sill showing them. I added a photo of an old map

If you look at the online map they still show a bit of blue 1c currently closed coming off the black.

The blue I think you are referring to is a track in the summer, I've walked it, long winding (Boring) if skiing it would be a narrow track, then it turns off it towards the Schattberg, when walking you can make out were it used to be and it goes past some house through their plots/gardens we tried to follow it which was challenging .

@Shipleb, was looking at the map for further down the valley and for some reason had google maps in satellite mode and noticed the blue run you asked about, it clearly shows the old blue run through the trees, as I said it wasn't the most exciting walk and i would have been a long road to ski.

snow report
Soul House lived up to expectations with a camio appearance fro Spacey. Legend and not a bad singer/entertainer to boot!! Saalbach I love you.
ski holidays
All good things come to an end as has this years trip ,reckon we’ve skied more than for years helped by the sun and excellent piste management ,haven’t missed out on the apres front either .Cant remember any other trip that has been sunny blue sky s the whole time .On our way home now with the thought it will only be another 50 weeks to go
latest report
Corky wrote:
God it was hot today and the lower slopes suffered as a result. The last hour wasn't pleasant
m

Hard work at 6pm coming down from Panoralm, got cold and was icy
ski holidays
Just got in (3.00am) - quite a day! Went out disgustingly late, and skied to Hochalm and then Zwölferkogel (good snow!), then ski bus to Schönleitenbahn. Après started at the Bergeralm, then Spitzbub, then Soul House (Peter Thederan’s Swedish band and Spacey), then spare ribs at Parma restaurant, then more après at Underbar, Eva Alm, Spitzbub (again) and Ötzi Bar. Never a dull moment in Saalbach!
snow conditions
Good piste skiing first thing and North facing holing up well into the afternoon. Skied 168 yesterday morning, not sure how much longer that will stay open but hats off to the pisteurs. Slightly busier than expected down 168 but enjoying the lack of queues as for the last 18 years we have been obliged to face the Feb half term queues.
ski holidays
Quote:

Skied 168 yesterday morning, not sure how much longer that will stay open but hats off to the pisteurs. Slightly busier than expected down 168

168 is certainly getting very slushy and thin at the bottom, but it’s actually more skiable than last week, presumably because this week isn’t as busy.

By the way, for anyone in Saalbach currently, Spacey is doing a gig from 5.00pm today at the Spitzbub, and he’s performing in the Ötzi Bar on Thursday night (St Patrick’s Day)
snow report
Yeah just met Spacey in the high street, said he was playing at the Spitzpub tonight. Probably after he has peeled the potatoes he was carrying.......
snow report
Off to the zspitzpub now where hopefully, a cold beer or two are waiting
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I hope we can all agree that Spacey’s long-awaited return to the Spitzbub (as a performer, rather than as a customer) was a resounding success. I’d wager that at least half those in attendance were Brits.
latest report
Do any Saalbach restaurants or bars serve food after 10pm? Arriving around that time on Thursday.
ski holidays
@oldschool72, your best bet is Bobby’s Pub - shouldn’t be a problem.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I was there and had a great time.
ski holidays
Re: Bobby's Pub - Thanks, will check it out.
snow conditions
Horrible weather this morning. Pouring with rain
ski holidays
Not pleasant at all but thought the pistes were holding up quite well albeit slightly brown!
snow report
Quote:

but thought the pistes were holding up quite well albeit slightly brown!

Symptomatic of dust-laden rain clouds coming up from the Sahara. Seen it before (in Alpe d’Huez). I noticed that the sky was a very peculiar orange colour yesterday. It needs to get colder, freeze overnight, and preferably snow again.
ski holidays
Wow. Did anyone see Huw at Soul Hiuse just now????????
snow report
No. What happened? Was planning to go but never made it.
latest report
Got wet through this morning, but thank god for goretex. Apart from not being to be able to see the tip of my skis at the top Schattberg found the piste conditions quite good, perhaps helped by less traffic. Interesting to see how many huts are closing for a day, assume because of Covid and it opening up without restrictions so late in the season. Was ready for a beer and dry out at bottom of piste 2 and that bar/restaurant was closed which is in a pretty prime location.
latest report
Just posted a trip report for last week's visit to S/H...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159628

Thoroughly enjoyed our week. Many thanks to everyone on this thread who provided such great information in advance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy