Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
buchanan101 wrote:
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@tatmantours, the temps seem fairly cold during the day aswell at present, this is based on my barometer of the cam showing what’s melting at the Wildenhutte at top of schonleiten lift ! With no snow forecast, are they cranking the cannons up to top the pistes?

Don't see why they'd need to crank up the cannons - plenty of snow at the end of last week; more than my previous two trips to Saalbach. They may not be able to anyway - my instructor in Zell last week said that many cannons had already been put away, and there are legalities about dates after which they are allowed to use them

There certainly are in my neck of the woods. I think I’m right in saying that from February, snow cannons are not used. Certainly the non-fixed cannons at Dachstein West were gathered up ready for Summer storage about 3-4 weeks ago.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
travelling 12 March to Saalbach? Holiday Shuttle are showing three scheduled transfers. I noticed the other day that they had one at 10.30, now they have added more, I would imagine that they are bringing people to the airport and don’t want to go back empty.

EDIT: the 21.00 is no longer showing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 4-03-22 8:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ldj226 snowboarding and skiing are so different that she may well have to start with the complete beginners! I tried snowboarding for half a day and it was pure frustration. Just couldn’t do it and I’m a competent skier. This was on a super flat blue. Good luck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
@Ldj226 snowboarding and skiing are so different that she may well have to start with the complete beginners! I tried snowboarding for half a day and it was pure frustration. Just couldn’t do it and I’m a competent skier. This was on a super flat blue. Good luck!
it looks like all the groups are full anyway so we’ll see how we go when we rock up Monday. In Brisbane waiting for our flight at the moment
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ldj226, @Yorksboy,has experience of ski schools and private instructors, might be able to help
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You’re coming a long way to go skiing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

ski schools and private instructors, might be able to help

For Snowboard lessons and ski lessons I have the details of some good instructors
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Starting to get silly excited! - flying out tomorrow morning....first time back since March 2020, and my aborted (covid positive test) in January this year!

Bags all packed.....lunch stops booked, like a kid at Christmas....only better because this has snow and beer!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ldj226,

I can recommend Penhab Ski school.

http://www.penhab.at/skischule/

Reini the owner and chief instructor is also able to guide off piste if that’s for you.

Where are you guys staying?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A bit more on the freeride festival

https://www.saalbach.com/en/events/freeride-testival_e_326402
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
New rules from today, I will still be wearing an FP2 mask in a gondola

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived Thursday to brilliant conditions and this morning it is superb ,.seems as if the pistes have been kept in excellent conditions .Yesterday over to leogang and return via bergeralm happy hour .Today just about to set off on an anti-clockwise trip will see how far we get .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can thoroughly recommend an afternoon stop at the Simalalm. Top of the blue 2b. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I commend to this thread this video (by Jimmy Petterson, who’s here at the moment). It shows aspects of Saalbach that many might miss.

http://youtube.com/v/CouveBx499c
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
You’re coming a long way to go skiing!
parents and brother live in England so meeting them there. I normally ski Japan or Canada but do Austria or France to ski with family.
latest report
Yorksboy wrote:
@Ldj226,
I can recommend Penhab Ski school.
Where are you guys staying?
I’ll check them out. I won’t do lessons just my wife. We are staying at Alpinresort as my parents absolutely love it there.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, enjoyed the video, is he the guy that wrote the book?
ski holidays
Quote:

@tatmanstours, enjoyed the video, is he the guy that wrote the book?

@radar, yes, I was chatting to him in Bobby’s this evening and may ski with him tomorrow.
He wrote “Skiing Around The World” Vols. 1 & 2 (highly recommended!), and holds the world record for number of countries skied in. What a life! (As a globe-trotting ski bum, writer, journalist, and singer/guitarist!) Saalbach is where it all started for him and remains his favourite resort.
snow conditions
Another blue sky morning .covered more miles yesterday than was good for my old legs but piste conditions make for faster runs even run 2 at 3 pm was good Today heading to fieberbrun though will detour down 85 which is usually empty of others as there is a few yards of up hill walking to do at the top of the lift up from Saalbach or the one from fieberbrun
latest report
Anyone in Saalbach and interested in free riding , https://instagram.com/stories/freeride.testival/2787239984294356222?utm_medium=copy_link

https://instagram.com/stories/skicircus/2787116632547609873?utm_medium=copy_link
latest report
Hinterhag re opened this afternoon albeit outside on the patio with Vladimir the guy who took over from Joseph singing the usual for a couple of hours and a limited choice of refreshment but it’ is making a return . Never made it to fieberbrun as enjoyed burning up and down around hinterglem piste conditions fast and with less folk so that will be the plan tomorrow
snow conditions
Quote:

Hinterhag re opened this afternoon albeit outside on the patio with Vladimir the guy who took over from Joseph

His name’s “Radim”.
ski holidays
Report from today (06/03/22):

With the lifting of most pandemic restrictions yesterday, it seems that not only the Hinterhag Alm, but also the later evening après spots - Castello and Taverne - have opened for business. It looks as if March may be lively!

Having said that, today marked the tail end of Fasching holiday week, and already many of the pistes were quieter. I anticipate (with relish) that the coming week will be a lot quieter than the relatively hectic Fasching period.

The Soul House (formerly Bäckstätt Stall) spent last summer creating a revamped après-ski area, with a large covered stage. I went on Thursday and Friday, and it was rocking! Like the Hinterhag x 10! People going mental and dancing on the bars. Great Swedish band, led by singer/guitarist Peter Thederan, whipping the crowd into a frenzy. Spacey also performed on Thursday, and stood in for the band on Friday (which he’s also been booked to do tomorrow), and he went down very well, as always.

It remains to be seen whether the Hinterhag can reclaim any of the après-ski business that it seems to have lost to the Soul House, or whether the latter will henceforth be Saalbach’s premier venue.

On the skiing front, the weather is currently sunny, but unusually the air temperatures are unseasonably cold - like early January. The pistes are generally hard-packed, with a light covering of powder. I skied anti-clockwise round the main valley today and (excluding last year) have never, to my recollection, seen the pistes better in early March - it made for some fast skiing, especially with the reduced number of people (as mentioned above), despite being Sunday. I have certainly not seen piste 2a looking so good for a long time.

I know that some of you will be hoping that 168 stays open. Last time I went that way on Friday it was in fantastic condition as far as the (wonderful) Hecherhütte, but more variable lower down - not lacking in snow, but certainly challenging for a less competent/confident skier, especially the final 50m drop to the valley floor, which was chopped up, slushy and mogully. Hopefully I’ll take another look at it tomorrow or the next day. The current cold temperatures will help to preserve it.
snow report
@weezer, have followed your lead and booked austriatransfer for our outward trip.

www.austriatransfer.com
Schedule, https://www.gasteintaxi.com/images/content/shuttle-transfer/airport-transfers/low-cost-info/airport-shuttle-sahi.pdf
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
[quote
His name’s “Radim”.

Ha ,just put the mistake down to multi tasking whilst watching the news still fun to be back there .sun coming out over the mountain tops so heading to fieberbrun this morning unless another change of plan
snow report
The Freeride World Tour is coming to Fieberbrunn.

“From 10 to 15 March 2022 the Skicircus will again become the centre of the international freeride scene. Fieberbrunn is the only stop of the freeride premium class - the FREERIDE WORLD TOUR - in Austria and Germany. The world's best freeriders have to climb about 40 minutes to reach the peak of Wildseeloder where they drop down a slope of 620 metres from the start position at 2,118 m altitude. There, they have to overcome a slope gradient of up to 70 degrees. Please follow Freeride World Tour on Facebook to stay up to date. “

https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/freeride/freeride-world-tour
latest report
I too was looking forwards to the post Fasching week. Last week was great skiing with blue skies. Sunday was noticeably quieter - well as much as I experienced. Coming down the Bernkogal on the relatively flat section just below the chairlift I managed to bounce out of a hole just below a snow cannon and landed with a 100 kg thud on my shoulder, as soon as I sat up I realised that it was dislocated (I see loads in my job). After getting my wind back and getting up on my feet, I skied my last run of the season. Then walked through Saalbach to Dr. Schnell. I must say they were very efficient and after X-rays it was put back in place, all within about an hour of my fall.

I managed to book a flight home today from Munich and am sat in departures waiting on Eastjet.

I had 5 weeks skiing planned for this year, managed 3 weeks in January and just over a week this time, looking forwards to getting back to the ski circus in December.

Enjoy the unlimited Apres from now on Very Happy
snow report
@Yorksboy, sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you were fixed up pretty well, and the doctor is well named. Now for the rehab... best of luck getting back on the piste
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ousekjarr wrote:
@Yorksboy, sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you were fixed up pretty well, and the doctor is well named. Now for the rehab... best of luck getting back on the piste

Thanks, I was very impressed with how they handled it. It’s not how we do it in the nhs!
Shame I can’t enjoy the wonderful conditions this week, but will be back next season.
ski holidays
Arrived on Saturday. Managed a short ski on Saturday afternoon, then had 2 days of lovely weather. As @tatmanstours, says it's pretty chilly for March, but at least there's no wind to speak of.

Skied Bernkogel, Reiterkogel and Kohlmais yesterday. Generally very nice skiing, although a fair amount of hardpack showing through. They are standing up well to the traffic though. A little top up and the pistes will be perfect.

Today was Zwolferkogel and Schattberg. 7a off Schattberg West was in great condition and most things we skied were again in good nick. Finished with 2a and a nip up Schonleitenbarn to ski back across to Bauers Schi-Alm. A really good day, but some tired kids by the end.
snow conditions
Today morning and lunch in fieberbrun not as warm as yesterday and visibility more due light wasn’t perfect but not far off .Came back to Saalbach through leogang and just got to bergeralm in time for a happy 20mins before enjoying a fun hour on the patio of the as yet not fully open hinterhag and then back to base with a short visit to one of the bars on the strip . Tomorrow the plan is zell but that will depend on breakfast time
snow conditions
Quote:

just got to bergeralm in time for a happy 20mins

@ski for fun, I was there too today - being happy inside.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
[
@ski for fun, I was there too today - being happy inside.

We only had the one ,actually2 bit chilly outside but at 9euro for 2 large beer and a couple of shorts can’t go past without stopping, ho ho
T o day the plan is zell if we get going early enough sun coming over the mountain and clear sky
snow report
I'm arriving on Saturday. I'm going with my wife but she's not reaĺy a skier so will largely be skìng on my own. If anyone else is in the same situation I'd be happy to meet up for a ski.
ski holidays
@Corky,
Quote:

I'm arriving on Saturday. I'm going with my wife but she's not reaĺy a skier so will largely be skìng on my own. If anyone else is in the same situation I'd be happy to meet up for a ski.

You’re not the only one in that position. It’s given me an idea. I already have a Facebook Messenger group for British residents in Saalbach and also a few friends who visit regularly. There are about 30 people in the group, and it’s been very useful. Whenever anyone’s in Saalbach, skiing or après-skiing, and fancies some company, they only have to add a message to the group, saying where they are or where they’re headed, and anyone else in a similar position can arrange to meet up with them.
My idea is to start a similar group on Messenger for solo Snowheads. So any existing Facebook friends, just message me and I’ll add you to the group. And anyone else who wants to be added, just send me a friend request (“Richard Saalbach Tatman”). Better explain who you are to weed out any persona non grata.
snow report
@tatmanstours @Corky I also am travelling to Saalbach on Saturday 12th as a solo skier ! Have already agreed to possibly meet @corky for a day or so skiing but would also be happy to join your messenger group and meet up with any like minded skiers/boarders.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours @Corky I also am travelling to Saalbach on Saturday 12th as a solo skier ! Have already agreed to possibly meet @corky for a day or so skiing but would also be happy to join your messenger group and meet up with any like minded skiers/boarders
latest report
EFFI is back on the patio of the hinterhag
latest report
@ski for fun, EFFI?
snow conditions
@RetroBod, Effi is the owner of the Hinterhag Alm, I think it was meant as a shout as it's a surprise to see her given she lost her son unexpectedly last year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy