Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Mr.Egg, I’m staying in Hinterglemm from the 11th to the 20th December. Arrive Salzburg at 2pm, will be on the first available transport out to S/H - I use the ÖBB app for Route and to buy ticket. Let me know if you’d like to meet for a beer and a chat and/or ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@Mr.Egg, I shouldn’t worry. Any noise tends to be concentrated around the Schattberg Xpress lift station.

Or in Otzi, Bobby's, formerly Crazy Deer or spitz if Mrs T gets going
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kb36, those precious few weeks before Christmas are generally peaceful and idyllic - probably what skiing used to be like before it was discovered by mass tourism (as well as like most of last season). Mrs TT doesn’t get into après party mode until Boxing Day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello all,

First time poster long term lurker and reader of this thread and its previous incarnations in particular.

Couple of things I'm hoping people can help with - we visited Saalbach in 2020 just before things went wrong and really enjoyed it and are planning to head back there in January. Unlike previous skiing trips it is just likely to be me and Mrs B-H so we are going to stay in a hotel for a bit of luxury with a spa etc.

This thread has me sorted for recommendations of hotels but I was wondering what the luggage situation was likely to be on check out day - I'm planning to sort early flights on arrival day so we can sort out ski hire the day before and take advantage of the after 3pm day before bonus on the lift pass but does anyone know how realistic it is for a hotel to store our bags on departure day until mid/late afternoon if we went onto the slopes?

Second, my father in law turns 70 in March and is a skier so we are planning a family ski trip to Zell am See to celebrate. Given S-H and Zell am See are covered by the same lift pass I'm trying to work out whether purchasing the season ticket makes financial sense. I think there's not a huge amount in it from looking at the figures so tempted to go for two week passes in case for some reason we have to cancel one of the weeks. We are unlikely to be able to make a third trip unfortunately.

@tatmantours I've seen many people ask for your guide, is there a chance I can hold of it at all?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 14-10-21 15:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TomBH, welcome as a poster!

Hotels are usually set up for some degree of luggage storage on a temporary basis, even if it's just in the corner of the restaurant after breakfast, but this depends on the space they have and the number of guests they have in at the time. here's an example - https://www.tristkogel.at/home---en/rooms-prices/useful-information/
Quote:
Departure: in the same way that on arrival you would like to encounter a room that is ready for you, we ask that you vacate your room by 10.00. Please let us know if you would like to have breakfast earlier on your day of departure. There is the possibility of luggage storage facilities being available for your use on your day of departure, and also shower facilities for after your sporty antics of the day.

As an alternative, the ski lockers at several of the lift stations have double or quad lockers which will easily fit suitcases - see e.g. https://www.bruendl.at/en/services/shopping-experience/ski-depot.

For the season pass question, the break-even point is around 15 days, so two weeks of 6 days each is cheaper with individual 6 day tickets. On the other hand, the season pass is an incentive to fit in a long weekend or two wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr wrote:
@TomBH, welcome as a poster!

Hotels are usually set up for some degree of luggage storage on a temporary basis, even if it's just in the corner of the restaurant after breakfast, but this depends on the space they have and the number of guests they have in at the time. here's an example - https://www.tristkogel.at/home---en/rooms-prices/useful-information/
Quote:
Departure: in the same way that on arrival you would like to encounter a room that is ready for you, we ask that you vacate your room by 10.00. Please let us know if you would like to have breakfast earlier on your day of departure. There is the possibility of luggage storage facilities being available for your use on your day of departure, and also shower facilities for after your sporty antics of the day.

As an alternative, the ski lockers at several of the lift stations have double or quad lockers which will easily fit suitcases - see e.g. https://www.bruendl.at/en/services/shopping-experience/ski-depot.

For the season pass question, the break-even point is around 15 days, so two weeks of 6 days each is cheaper with individual 6 day tickets. On the other hand, the season pass is an incentive to fit in a long weekend or two wink

Thanks very useful. Now to work out how to tag people properly in posts!

I could just buy the season pass and see how it goes...... wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TomBH, you can quickly tag people by clicking on their name in the left hand column beside their post. Note click - not drag, as that scares the security hamsters by adding a JavaScript link…

Or simply bold their name and add an @ sign, as that’s all the click does
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ousekjarr, thanks - fully mastered now!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

tatmantours I've seen many people ask for your guide, is there a chance I can hold of it at all?

@TomBH, certainly, just send me a PM (click on the + symbol next to my moniker in the left-hand margin) with your email address.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

tatmantours I've seen many people ask for your guide, is there a chance I can hold of it at all?

@TomBH, certainly, just send me a PM (click on the + symbol next to my moniker in the left-hand margin) with your email address.

Thanks - have sent!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Autumn seems to be going according to plan, with a dusting of snow above mid-station, and (after a few days of warmer, autumnal weather) snowfall forecast for next weekend. The first lifts are expected to open on 26th November. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking at Zell webcams they’ve been firing the cannon on the sunny Red runs whatever that area is called. Hochgurgl going full blast for the last 2 or 3 days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tatmanstours, Hi I arrive in Hinterglemm on the 11th December, do you know which Huts, restaurants, bars etc will be open then?
Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Yorksboy,
Quote:

Hi I arrive in Hinterglemm on the 11th December, do you know which Huts, restaurants, bars etc will be open then?
Thanks

I can't be specific, but I'd guess that most will be open by then - certainly enough to cater for your needs. I have a feeling that mid-December might be busier than usual, although obviously nowhere near as busy as during the main season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tatmanstours wrote:
I have a feeling that mid-December might be busier than usual, although obviously nowhere near as busy as during the main season.

Just out of curiosity, why?

We’re (Dachstein West) scheduled to open around the end of the first week in December. One of my favourite times for skiing as its almost like having one’s own private ski resort Toofy Grin
snow report
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

tatmanstours wrote:
I have a feeling that mid-December might be busier than usual, although obviously nowhere near as busy as during the main season.

Just intuition, based on the impression that so many people seem to be rattling for skiing, like
the addicts that they probably are. I’ve gained that impression from the many messages and enquiries I’ve had during the last six months, and from the level of enthusiasm here in the resort, and evident on Facebook. “Can’t wait” just about sums it up.
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:

We’re (Dachstein West) scheduled to open around the end of the first week in December. One of my favourite times for skiing as its almost like having one’s own private ski resort Toofy Grin

Bergfestival on the 10th, Rave On Snow on the 14th
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, thanks for the reply. I’ve skied in January since 2006 and often in March as well. I did a week in December 2018 and had a great time on very quite slopes with plenty of snow - mind you it was in the run up to “snowmagedon” .

None of the big apres bars had started up, but most huts were open.

Don’t really want to dwell on COVID, but it’s obviously going to have an effect. I’ve managed to order and receive my season pass. It looks like the Austrian government are firming up their plans for winter tourism. I just wondered what the thoughts were from the businesses in the area. Last year must have been tight, hopefully we can offer our support by giving our custom this season.

I too thinks that December could be busier than normal. Not sure how many brits will get out before Xmas week as it looks like a lot of the very early season flights are being cancelled - I’ve had to rebook a few!

Anyway, I’m looking forwards to getting back in the mountains soon.
latest report
@Yorksboy, I don’t think anyone knows how it’s going to pan out, but the local businesses that depend on tourism are obviously eager, if not desperate, for a return to relative normality, and a lot of them wouldn’t be able to afford any more lockdowns or closures.
snow report
@tatmanstours, Sent you a message!
latest report
Just pulled the trigger on a trip to Leogang, 15-22 Dec. Got everything crossed that we are allowed to go!
snow conditions
Hi folks, started following the thread again. Our trip to Saalbach end March last year was cancelled so looking now and also considering a pre Xmas visit - backing up your theory @tatmanstours Very Happy
snow report
Does anyone have a view yet on changes to number of flights in and out to Salzburg etc. Starting to look at trip logistics and assume a few things may have changed from last / a normal year?

Last time we'd booked to fly into Munich (as way cheaper at the time), need to check if that's now difficult with Covid rules crossing borders etc. Anyone already done the research (he says lazily) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Rowlski, here are the flights into Salzburg, ignore BA from Gatwick they won’t be flying out of there until the end of next summer
https://ypsilon.net/flightplan/salzburg/szg.pdf
ski holidays
@Rowlski, this thread is quite active on entry into Austria https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&start=3120
latest report
Thanks @radar, I am only just getting back into Snowhead mode and haven't found all the useful threads so ta for pointing me in the right direction!
snow report
@Rowlski, as far as flying into Munich is concerned there should be little issue assuming you are fully vaccinated (this excludes the remote possibility that inhabitants of the plague ridden island are banned again). Those with teenage kids might face more of a problem. No issue travelling to Austria, not been any checks for many months. Once you are in Austria you will need a "green pass" ie an app proving you are vaccinated etc. (certainly for bars & restaurants, maybe for hotels, possibly for ski lifts). Again no issue for vaccinated adults & kids under 12 but potentially painful for teenagers (might have to have daily tests). There does seem to be an "issue" with NHS vaccine certs but this is supposed to be getting fixed in the near future.

Returning from Munich should be straight forward. My business partner flew Lufthansa to Manchester and said it was easy, documents checked at the gate with no issues. However there have been reports of having to troop off to some remote spot to get a stamp to prove you have the right bits of paper.
ski holidays
Hmmmm ... @munich_irish, I fall into the troublesome category then as will have a 13 year old in tow. Reading the thread @radar posted that does seem to be a bit of a faff but probably doable. Definitely needs more careful planning with the teenager Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rowlski
Have you investigated your flight options?
Easyjet, Austrian Airlines, BA, Jet2 are all probable options. Guess being in oxfordshire you could prob easily get to Bristol & B’rum
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, all flight information in one place, from the Salzburg Airpot newsletter https://ypsilon.net/flightplan/salzburg/szg.pdf, ignore BA Gatwick it's fiction Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi all (again),

Having taken some of the recommendations from here, read some reviews and got them priced up it's come down to two hotels (partly availability and partly price). One in Hinterglemm, Hotel Glemmtalerhof and one in Saalbach, Hotel Kendler. Kendler will be £400pp more expensive though for the week.

I've read a lot about H v S and I think for us there's not much in it given for this holiday we are more likely to enjoy a quite evening in/in the spa than to head out to the bars (we might do some night skiing which favours Hinterglemm but Saalbach is perhaps a bit better located for lifts etc etc) so it comes down to whether we can justify the 25% uplift in cost for what looks like a marginally nicer hotel. I don't suppose anyone here happens to have stayed in both recently?!
ski holidays
25% less & get the free bus
snow conditions
@TomBH, Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a wonderful time in Saalbach-Hinterglemm; I have skied there for many years.

If you have not already done so, then do take the horse-drawn sleigh one evening up the valley from Hinterglemm.

It’s completely magical, and then you have dinner in a converted farmhouse. And then the sleigh back again at the end of the night.
ski holidays
@TomBH, the Glemmtalerhof is 50m from the Reiterkogel lift, and about 100m from the U-bahn. Go for it - bank the €400pp difference for beer and meals out Cool
ski holidays
@TomBH, I’m not surprised that the Hotel Kendler is relatively expensive. Two good hotels within 50-100 meters of the Kendler, which are likely to be cheaper, are the Kristiana and the Panther (but there are many others in Saalbach village centre). I realise that it’s a question of availability.
latest report
Thanks all.

Kristiana and some others we tried in Saalbach were also unavailable and we are coming out of peak season at the end of Jan - a sign of popularity and/or limited availability for the season I suspect (we have chosen to book through a independent travel agent this year for ease if anything goes wrong with covid).

In the end went for Glemmtalerhof and the savings can pay for some private ski tuition to improve what is very much a work in progress technique as well as some beers. We will just have to come again in 2023 and stay in Saalbach!

Looking forward to it already and it's not even November!
ski holidays
@TomBH, cannot comment on the Hotel Kendler, but as pretty much all hotels in the area I would be sure its good. A big thumbs up for the Glemmtalerhof though. We have stayed here many times in both winter and summer - its our go to hotel. Spotlessly clean, great rooms, great food and friendly staff. Lovely Spa area with a swimming pool. The location is as good as you could get in Hinterglemm, right bang in the middle of the village with very easy access to the slopes, including the night skiing slope - out of the ski room, 2 minute walk to a lift which drops you at the bottom of the Ubahn lift and the floodlit slopes - perfect! Not sure how apres will pan out this season but there are plenty of bars around, including the Goastall, all within walking distance. Let me know if you need any more info - happy to help
snow conditions
@summerseat, thanks and good to know it has a vote of confidence!

I won't look at this for a little while simply to avoid plunging more cash into something that until I'm there I won't quite believe it will happen but is there any reason not to rent skis (have boots) and a snowboard (Mrs B-H!) from Snow and Fun? They seem to get good write ups but we didn't use them last time we were in S-H for this. I'd probably look to book a morning private lessons with them too given they were really good on that in 2020 so for ease would do everything in one place.
snow report
@TomBH, For rentals you have quite a choice. Nothing wrong with Snow and fun, a 5 min walk up the main street. There is also Gumpold sports just across the road from the Glemmtalerhof ( Gumpold also have a bigger shop on the outskirts of the village). This is really convenient for you, and you also get a discount if staying at the Glemmtalerhof. Loads of others , Hervis and Intersport also in the village
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I've sent you a PM requesting your guide. It will be gladfully received. Thanks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy