Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Tiefschneetaucher, Clearly they didn't learn on a 'dry' slope in the west of Scotland!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, thank you for the expert guiding around Saabach, I know I say it everytime but I just love it over there, its very different to my corner of the Salzburg ski area! Also, marvellous fun as usual in Bergeralm for the happy hour, I'm still laughing at the swinging lights!
It seemed to me anyway, very quiet there on piste, but again your local knowledge helped find the quiet slopes, can't wait til we pop over again.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@radar, Great. I think I've already got that taxi number from the apartment owner, so nice to have confirmation they're good. How long is the walk to Saalbach? Looks like about 1.5km on the map, so I guess about 15 minutes?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RobMcQ, yes about 15 minutes will get you to the Schattberg , we never do it in ski boots!

The last bus being 5pm is a bit of a pain.

What you can also do is start your day at the Hochalmbhan past Hinterglemm, the blues and reds are nice up there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, Yeah, was definitely planning on the bus in the morning to get to a lift. I expect that we'll taxi back post-apres. Might walk into town in the evening though, once we're in regular footwear.

I was looking at the Hochalmbahn option for first thing. A few of us will probably try for the early lift starts and I think that's on the list, so would work for that too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobMcQ, if you wanted somewhere nearby I’ve been told that non residents can eat at the https://www.barbarahof.at/ which is almost next door to you, we meant to check it out on our last trip but ran out of time.

We recommend to our guests that they download the Saalbach app, good for knowing what’s open and the ski alpin app which can be handy for route planning.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,

Heading to Zell am See in just over 3 weeks to celebrate Father in Law's 70th.

I know it's not quite Saalbach-Hinterglemm but does anyone have any restaurant recommendations? Needs to cater for eight people including an 8 and almost 4 year old so something family friendly would be good. I suspect we would want to early early evening.

Also I'm debating the merits of driving (wife's family are driving from the Czech Republic) from Zell to the Schönleitenbahn to access Leogang verses skiing from Zell via the Zell am See express. Feels like we we would get more skiing time in Leogang this way and not have to worry about last lift back up to Zell. Anyone with any insight? We are staying near the City Xpress gondola in Zell.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TomBH, there’s a very active Facebook page for Zell https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBZellamsee/ probably the best place to get restaurant recommendations

You can certainly park at the Schönleitenbahn and you would get easier access to Leogang, the ski club have days out to Saalbach and drive to the Schönleitenbahn.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TomBH wrote:
Hi all,

Heading to Zell am See in just over 3 weeks to celebrate Father in Law's 70th.

I know it's not quite Saalbach-Hinterglemm but does anyone have any restaurant recommendations? Needs to cater for eight people including an 8 and almost 4 year old so something family friendly would be good. I suspect we would want to early early evening.

Also I'm debating the merits of driving (wife's family are driving from the Czech Republic) from Zell to the Schönleitenbahn to access Leogang verses skiing from Zell via the Zell am See express. Feels like we we would get more skiing time in Leogang this way and not have to worry about last lift back up to Zell. Anyone with any insight? We are staying near the City Xpress gondola in Zell.

Driving makes a lot of sense if you’re happy to miss out on the drinking.

Lebzelter, Hotel Seehof, Kupferkessel, Brasserei Traube and Grüner Baum are all good restaurants in Zell, but not expensive. Grand Hotel has a good kitchen, but is a bit more upmarket. Erlhof across the Lake is really good, but you’d need taxis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Austrian Seagull, thanks. I don't tend to drink on the mountain and save that for once I don't have to put skis back on again so happy to jump behind the wheel if other family members want a lunchtime drink.

Cheers for the restaurant recommendations - I will check them out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@radar, perfect thank you!

I'm very much a subscriber to the do what the locals do sort of tourist where I can so happy to apply that here too!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all, I went to Fierbebrunn the other weekend. Had a great time. I can recommend a very good guide who took us for some Instagram-worthy off piste, was very responsible in dangerous avalanche conditions, and was great fun to ski with. He managed a mixed ability group well. PM me if you are going and want his details. He was €300 per day plus another €20 for each additional person. Maybe if you go to him directly rather than through the ski shop (I’d recommend Wideman ski) it will be slightly cheaper.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@radar, Thanks, will definitely bear that in mind.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TomBH, Piazza Quattro above Mosshammer in the main square is a nice place to eat and will cover lots of menu requirements. You can even get Mosshammer cake for desert if you ask nicely!

The hotel restaurants like the Grunerbaum and Lebzelter can be a bit samey but both have good bars attached. Sportsstube is great for pre dinner drinks and Greens has a cocktail happy 2-hours until 10pm!

I have had some really poor food in the Kuppferkessel and won't go back. Conversely, I've always eaten week in Pizzeria Guiseppi and Restaurant Adria.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TomBH wrote:
Hi all,

If driving round or are up for a harder day you could consider if youve got a good weather forecast and its still open the chance to ski 168 on the home run . Is to drive round park at the bottom of the zell lift then catch the bus to schonleitin a( a few minutes) then up and away to leogang to spend most of the day there allowing time to be at the top of leogang as late as possible to ski back to car . It would then especially if its a nice sunny day possible to have a lunch near the bottom of leogang in or rather on the terrace of the forsthofalm which weve found very pleasant and avoids the crush in the rest areas of the mid station. It also gives you the option of going further towards or past saalbach as the bus down the valley runs frequently back to the zell lift car park which either way increases the slope time or experience. Im planning on doing something similar in reverse to get the most out of a day trip to zell from saalbach
latest report
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn’t see it on the thread.

When we’re in Saalbach in 3 weeks time, one member of our group has a birthday on the Friday (18th). Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for the Friday night? Preferably with a good wine list too. Location wise we’re staying at the Hotel Art & Kristiana but don’t mind a bit of a walk.

Ideally we’d like to book in advance.

Thanks!
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer, @ski for fun,

Thanks both.

Good idea on parking at bottom of Zell gondola if 168 is open.
snow report
@Bianchigray, The restaurant at the Kendler is very good we ate there in January, an new discover and very impressed good wine list too good food and good service https://tinyurl.com/uzhkeyd2. and just down from your hotel, if you don't mind going a bit further the https://www.tirolerbuam.at/en/ we eat there pretty much once every trip and have added to Kendler to our nice meal out list.
snow conditions
Thanks @radar they both look ideal for what we’d want!
snow report
On the subject of après-ski, the Hinterhag has been closed all season - but those early evening party animals had to go somewhere, and, on the evidence of the somewhat rumbustious après that I witnessed yesterday, it seems that the Panorama Alm and the Maisalm have happily picked up the torch.
And if you stay to the end, you will have the added excitement of coming down in the dark and sharing the piste with numerous drunken skiers, showing how they can ski backwards, and the usual out of control boarders, trying to see how many skiers they can knock over.
Whilst writing, I dined at Bauers Schialm this evening, and I can confirm (as was said a few pages ago) that their spare ribs are excellent.
snow report
@tatmanstours, It's a shame about the Hinterhag. We've got our first trip to Saalbach in a couple of weeks and apres at the Hinterhag was on my original to do list. Still, sounds like there are plenty of other lively options and we'll just have to visit again to sample the Hinterhag. Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

on the evidence of the somewhat rumbustious après that I witnessed yesterday, it seems that the Panorama Alm and the Maisalm have happily picked up the torch.

This is good to know and thank you for your updates over the last few month @tatmantours, a group of us are out next week with a few that have never been to Austria or Saalbach and despite the rules I've been keen to highlight that it's a different approach to apres then France!

We'll be landing Saturday lunchtime, getting passes, putting boards/skis in for waxing, then heading to Bobby's Bar to watch the six nations. I take it its the still shown there and popular despite the Covid rules?
snow report
@snorks, Any big matches are likely to be viewable in Bobby's, or the Spitzbub, or the Eva Alm.
latest report
what's the usual snow situation come April in saalbach/hinterglemm. does it hold well?
snow conditions
Hmmmm having skied in some slush this week I would imagine not but happy to stand corrected.

Sad to say we’re back home but made the most of our last day yesterday and finally got to do the full FIS run, the bottom half had been closed every time we were in Hinterglemm. Great fun.

I love Saturday skiing, we had all the gondolas and several pistes to ourselves. Also squeezed in a couple of rides on the Alpine Coaster in Fieberbrunn on Friday, handy that it’s included in the lift pass!

All in all the family agrees we might come back one day but next year it’s the Arlberg for us!
ski holidays
Quote:

what's the usual snow situation come April in saalbach/hinterglemm. does it hold well?

Tiefschneetaucher
user
Sun 20 Feb, 22 16:59
Hmmmm having skied in some slush this week I would imagine not but happy to stand corrected.

If weather were a constant factor, I might agree. However it’s possible to get cold weather and fresh snow in early April, and unseasonably mild weather in January. Some of the best skiing I’ve had in Saalbach has been in early April. But it all depends on the weather.
latest report
@tatmanstours, i arrive on Saturday with 7 guys, we're staying in Saalbach in the Gappmaier Hotel, where's the closest and best bar to watch the rugger? and i wanted my Saalbach virgins to enjoy some decent apres, where's best for Apres at the moment?

Thanks
ski holidays
Quote:

i arrive on Saturday with 7 guys, we're staying in Saalbach in the Gappmaier Hotel, where's the closest and best bar to watch the rugger? and i wanted my Saalbach virgins to enjoy some decent apres, where's best for Apres at the moment?

@gazzaredcruiser, I would say that Bobby’s is the most convenient bar for watching the rugger.
Après starts at Bergeralm or Panorama Alm , continues at Maisalm, then continues some more at Burgi’s or Spitzbub.
Keep an eye also on what’s going on at Bauers Schialm and the Soul House.
Later you have the Off-Piste Bar, the Underbar (both with live music), Bobby’s and Ötzi Bar.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Tiefschneetaucher
user
Sun 20 Feb, 22 16:59

If weather were a constant factor, I might agree. However it’s possible to get cold weather and fresh snow in early April, and unseasonably mild weather in January. Some of the best skiing I’ve had in Saalbach has been in early April. But it all depends on the weather.

what direction are most of the slopes? out of the last 10 years how many times you not been able to ski down to resort? we usually do tignes at Easter for 2 weeks. I'm weening myself off of France
snow report
Thanks so much for the spa recommendations guys. Most places are saying no due to covid. The only one I've found is the unterschwarzach in hinterglemm. Too far for us but might be useful for someone else.
We had THE most fantastic day yesterday. Unexpected beautiful weather. Lovely quiet slopes.
As for today...does anyone have an anyone recommend a good area for heavy snow? Very Happy
snow report
@tatmanstours, thanks for the info, we're really looking forward to the week, the conditions should be perfect Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

what direction are most of the slopes? out of the last 10 years how many times you not been able to ski down to resort? we usually do tignes at Easter for 2 weeks. I'm weening myself off of France

@Mother hucker, As the main Glemm valley runs east to west, and the slopes of Leogang and Fieberbrunn are generally north-facing, I would estimate that up to half of the slopes face south, and at least the other half face in other directions.
The south-facing slopes generally offer good skiing, even in late season, during the mornings. I have never been unable to ski down to the village (and back to my apartments, which are opposite the Kohlmaisbahn lift station) right until the end of the season. Except that the south-facing side of the valley is generally closed for the last week. It seems to be the lift company’s policy to open in stages in early December and close in stages in April. The number of people using the facilities at those times is no doubt a major factor.
But the lift company would normally keep everything running at least for Easter.
As the south-facing slopes generally become soft and slushy in the afternoon in mild spring weather, I have seen advice given to download from mid-station in the gondolas, e.g. the Kohlmaisbahn and the Bernkogelbahn. I have never done that, nor to my recollection have most of my skiing companions amongst my family and friends. We don’t mind those conditions that much - it’s all part of skiing and an opportunity to practise.
The areas that are particularly good at retaining good snow, even in late season mild weather, are Schattberg Westgipfel, the Zwölferkogel, Leogang and Fieberbrunn. Generally the slopes face north or at least don’t face the sun directly.
The slopes that are worth skiing in the mornings but can become a challenge in late season afternoons for those who struggle with soft and slushy conditions are mainly the Kohlmais, the Bernkogel, the Reiterkogel and Hochalm. But it’s no different from many other places I’ve skied, when returning to the village at the end of the day. I used to organise group holidays at Easter, and I can well remember the mushy conditions in the three valleys, Verbier and St Anton.
Having said all that, I imagine that most people would recommend a high, glacier resort, like Tignes, at Easter. Although the Saalbach lift pass does include the glacier at Kaprun, and I have been up there in April and found the snow to be “like January”.
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:

Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but in 2022 are you really not able to work out for yourself which direction the slopes face? Google maps shows you the pistes, helpfully with north at the top of the screen - https://goo.gl/maps/ssHzVsx6UYZmfju36 or it will even turn it into a terrain map for you with a few clicks - https://goo.gl/maps/Hbrqbq5zjZ6KRGPQ6

Out of the last ten years, I've never had to download anywhere in Austria at any time, but there's always a first time in any place - though you'd find it hard in the Glemmtal since there are very few places with middle stations as the difference between the valley at 1000m and the summits at 1700-2100m is not huge. If you are trying to compare it to Tignes at Easter, take a step back and think again. That's like asking whether swimming in the North Sea in July will be like swimming in a Moroccan lake in February - in both cases you'll be cold and wet, but neither is representative of swimming in general especially if your ideal is a 35 degree indoor pool.

Tignes is high, treeless and often featureless, soulless, and typically offers good skiing at the start and end of the season when lower resorts are struggling. It also has a high level of weather-related closures, including today where there are 140kph winds on top, and 70kph in Tignes le lac :
Quote:
SKI AREA INFORMATION - 21/02/2022 - 10:34
SETTING UP A SHUTTLE TO REPATRIATE CUSTOMERS FROM LES BRÉVIÈRES TO TIGNES 1800
Customers and skiers: setting up a shuttle for repatriation to Tignes 1800 - (estimated waiting time: 30 minutes)

Attention only rotations are planned to go up the skiers blocked in Brévières.

There will be no other rotations during the day !

Saalbach-Hinterglemm is high(-ish) for Austria outside of glacier resorts, has villages with atmosphere and charm, offers good skiing from mid December until the end of March and occasionally to the end of April, and has trees on most of the runs to offer shelter and guides even if the weather is bad. It too has weather - today, about a third of the resort lifts are closed due to wind, which as usual affects the higher runs only. For the few lifts with midstations, that means that the top half is closed. The links to Zell and Fieberbrunn are also closed currently.

Here's the current status, compared:

Tignes is well-nigh closed. They've kept a few learner slopes open to ensure they don't have to refund any lift tickets, but that's it.

Saalbach is ~60% open. Similar storm system, but since the skiing is not at 3000m the impact is significantly lower.

Will Saalbach be a better choice for skiing from 9-16 April? Maybe - or maybe not. That's the problem with weather - no-one knows, so while on average Tignes will have better coverage that late in the season, it may be that Tignes has whiteout conditions and closed lifts all week, while Saalbach has wall to wall sunshine and perfect pistes with a metre of snow on them and fresh powder from overnight dumps. Or more likely Saalbach has half of the pistes closed, the bottom half of those which are open will be soft sugar or actively slushy after 11am, and those who know and accept that will be perfectly happy to start at 8am and sit in the sun from 12 onwards before downloading or water skiing down. And at the same time, Tignes is likely to have better piste conditions but still be softening after 11am and will still be sugary at the lower levels, and despite having 2m of snow cover reported will still be showing rocks in places because that's what the underlying terrain is...
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, maybe I’m old and cranky too, many moons ago as a Snowhead newby I asked a question and was introduced by a fellow Snowhead to this, https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=snow+fall+april+Saalbach.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@radar, indeed. https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/history has details, and also allows a direct comparison between ski resorts which includes a week by week breakdown of snowfall, snowy days, rainy days, etc.
snow report
Quote:

though you'd find it hard in the Glemmtal since there are very few places with middle stations

The Kohlmaisbahn, the Schönleitenbahn, the Schattberg Xpress, the Westgipfelbahn, and the Zwölferkogelbahn all have mid-stations. And the Bernkogelbahn, the Reiterkogelbahn, and the Hochalmbahn all have top stations that are at mid-mountain height, so might loosely be referred to as “mid-station” in the context of downloading, as opposed to skiing down the bottom half of the mountain.
ski holidays
I know a lot of people dislike the idea of "downloading by gondola" i have no idea why, i once skied with someone who looked at me like i had just killed his dog when i suggested it as the end of a spring day.

the closer you get to the end of the season the worse the main runs back to town will be at 3:30/4pm and the more out of control lemmings you will see not being able to ski the bumps and crashing into each other, not to mention the soaked clothing, i'd much rather ski all day and then download away from all the carnage and arrive happily in the bar without a crutch.

For the record i can ski bumps, i actually quite like them but i choose to ski them at the side of the piste when i'm less likely to have my legs removed by a 1 week charlie!
snow report
@enduroaid, it’s not generally that crowded or risky in Saalbach in late season, and the pistes are fairly wide. However I still shudder at memories of “Happy Valley” in St Anton, and also a certain narrow, mushy and congested piste in Val d’Isere.
snow report
@tatmanstours, agreed Saalbach is generally one of the better areas for congestion at the valley runs, particularly on the Kohlmais side as its so wide, although on my first visit a couple of years ago i was shocked at how tight and "messy" it got coming past the Soul house at the end of the day, heading out in a couple of weeks time and hopefully the new link which is / was built down to the road at the Schattberg has helped that.

Although i do hope it hasnt removed the small van which normally sat there, it was a nice place to sit and watch the world go by.
ski holidays
@enduroaid, I haven’t yet used that new link, but I’ve heard (from radar) that the little hut at the bottom of it sells refreshments.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy