Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I would be cautious about December, some years great skiing on empty pistes but others (perhaps more common) what skiing there is are strips of artificial snow on otherwise green

This will be my 16th consecutive Christmas in Saalbach. Since I retired ten years ago, I have brought forward my time of arrival from the week before Christmas to the second week of December. I did that because I was fed up of arriving around 20th-22nd December to find that I’d missed a couple of weeks of fabulous skiing. Local ski instructors missed no opportunity to rub salt in the wounds.
Based on my experience, I would say that the seasons in which the December skiing has been limited to “strips of artificial snow on otherwise green mountainsides” have been very much in the minority. Normally the area opens gradually during early December and tends to be fully open by the third week. There have been only a handful of seasons in 15 years (maybe three), in which we have been reliant on artificial snow at Christmas.
Obviously it all depends on when the all-important first major dump of the season arrives, and that applies to all resorts in the region. Once it arrives, it stays. In that respect S-H enjoys the benefit of its topography: it’s mountains and valleys run east to west, so lower south-facing slopes are generally shaded from the sun, which is obviously very weak anyway in December and January.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/zellamsee/2012/12/14/1200

Link to the webcam facing Zell am See, around the corner. The link will take you to midday on the 14/12/2012 and you can just scroll by year above the image. Only a couple of years where it looks like the run to the city express would not be open. Saalbach is a bit higher though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours,

Isnt there a rock festival & rave on the snow from the 2nd week?

Im torn where to stay in the wider area from the 11th.
S-H, Zell or Kaprun
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Link to the webcam facing Zell am See, around the corner. The link will take you to midday on the 14/12/2012 and you can just scroll by year above the image. Only a couple of years where it looks like the run to the city express would not be open. Saalbach is a bit higher though.

Yes, it’s often raining in Zell when it’s snowing in Saalbach - that extra 1,000 feet and drop of a couple of degrees in temperature makes a big difference when it’s hovering around freezing point.

Quote:

Isnt there a rock festival & rave on the snow from the 2nd week?

Im torn where to stay in the wider area from the 11th.
S-H, Zell or Kaprun

Yes, “Rave on Snow” is an annual weekend event that kicks off the season in early December. Before we became resident here (last year), and as we have some taste in music, we tried to time our arrival so that we arrived just after Rave on Snow.
I would have thought that the choice between Saalbach, Zell, and Kaprun is a no-brainer. Kaprun could be distinctly uninviting at that time of the season, and Zell is regarded as a vastly inferior ski area, compared with the Ski Circus.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://saalbach.panomax.com/kohlmais has a similar function under the Archive menu at the bottom - 15:00 on 11th December 2018, 2019 and 2020 all show snow coverage to the valley floor

Kaprun is one of those places which is always useful as an insurance policy, but you always hope you won't have to use it. If you do, December may offer you -25 temperatures and 80mph winds with zero visibility and with no trees or other objects to give some contrast you could be feeling your way down. Given that it's a glacier and there are rocky areas with cliffs on one side and crevasses on the other, that's not much fun. On a clear day it's a good experience, but then on a clear day with good snow cover I'd rather be in the Ski Circus.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The season pass is now on sale, to buy or not to buy?

https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/season-tickets-early-bird-purchase-bonus
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same for the Salzburg Superski card - https://www.superskicard.com/en/season-ticket.html - and the same question applies. According to the FAQs at https://www.superskicard.com/en/coronavirus-faqs.html there is a refund if you use less than 15 days of a season pass, but depending on how you read that, the refund may only be available if there are no areas open anywhere within the pass coverage for 4 weeks or more. One of the questions they address is what happens if the ski areas are open, but it is not possible to enter Austria, where their answer is that no refund is applicable. Also, if restrictions such as the 3G rule is enforced and you do not want to comply, there is no refund. That's entirely different from their 0% risk promise last year where the refund was purely based on whether you used it or not - see https://www.superskicard.com/en/reimbursement-season-tickets.html

Closing date for the early bird discount is 6th December, as usual. €795 for adults, rising to €895 after 6/12. Saalbach/Zell/Kaprun pass is €629/€725
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ousekjarr, Looks like the terms for this season have changed on the Alpin card, they are including border closures. I’ll wait until the last moment to commit.

“ due to an epidemic or pandemic and/or if the operations of the affected lift and ropeway companies are closed down on account thereof and/or if customers are unable to use the services due to a travel warning or closure of borders, the costs paid by customers for any ALPIN CARD will be reimbursed for the period of any full closure of the operations as follows.”

More https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/skitickets/general-information
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, that link is from December 2020, and references last year's prices and cutoff date for the early bird discount, so I wouldn't place any weight on it until it has been updated
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ousekjarr, thanks, your right, though I got there from a link in the 21/22 prices, I’m taking it as being current as it’s changed from October / November last year, I dropped Alpin Card an email back then and it was very much if we operate no refund, never went ahead with the purchase as it became clear we wouldn’t get out there Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tatmanstours wrote:

Yes, “Rave on Snow” is an annual weekend event that kicks off the season in early December. Before we became resident here (last year), and as we have some taste in music, we tried to time our arrival so that we arrived just after Rave on Snow.
I would have thought that the choice between Saalbach, Zell, and Kaprun is a no-brainer. Kaprun could be distinctly uninviting at that time of the season, and Zell is regarded as a vastly inferior ski area, compared with the Ski Circus.

Yes, but I need to convince the other 1/2, as she wants the Christkindl fuzzy feeling!
So Zell will give me an extra day skiing, otherwise I have to schlep back to Salzburg for an extra night.
Is there enough festive feeling happening in Hinterglemm & Saalbach?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

They generally have the usual festive things going on - Christmas market, carol services, Christmas trees, twinkly lights a decorations, Christmas songs, etc. Much depends on how much of that kind of thing you need or want.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

They generally have the usual festive things going on - Christmas market, carol services, Christmas trees, twinkly lights a decorations, Christmas songs, etc. Much depends on how much of that kind of thing you need or want.

im happy with gluhwein & Feuerzangenbowle.
As long as there is something going on, then I'll book in an extra night & let her chew my ear off if there is not enough.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure Richard will put on his santa costume if asked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@buchanan101, Laughing
ski holidays
Hi, there is usually a good ski/snowboard show in the week in Saalbach where some of the pros do tricks in front of town. That is usually followed by a good night out in the bars. Does anyone know what night its usually held on? I'm planning the itinerary for our group and don't want to miss that. thank you.
ski holidays
@snorks, Thursday, during high season
latest report
Quote:

@snorks, Thursday, during high season

Wow! that was quick! Many thanks!
latest report
Just had the Salzburg Airport news letter in and the winter schedule, ignore the BA Gatwick one as they aren't going to restart operations from there until the end of next summer.

https://ypsilon.net/flightplan/salzburg/szg.pdf

Not sure if I fancy the Ryanair flight from Stanstead at 06.35!
snow conditions
Hmmm

Am I right in saying I can get regional bus 260 from Salzburg Airport to Maishofen & then regional bus 680 to S-H?
The times work out perfect for us & under €16. Transfer time is only just over 2hrs
latest report
@Mr.Egg, yes , down load the SBG Verkehr app, you can use it to plan and buy tickets, if there is any delay the bus at Maishofen will wait if you tell the driver you are going to Saalbach Very Happy

Edit: you can't buy tickets through the app
snow report
thanks, dont mind being stranded until the next bus. As long as there's a bar open!
snow report
@Mr.Egg, You have a choice in Maishofen Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

You have a choice in Maishofen

I heartily recommend the Schloss Kammer in Maishofen.
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, I use bus service to and from Salzburg Airport every trip. Very easy. Download the ÖBB app for times/ routes and to buy tickets.
ski holidays
I got the routes. Just the 93 stops between Airport & Hotel Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hey everyone!

I just booked my hotel from the 1st of Jan > 8th Jan cant wait to try out Saalbach!

I was thinking of booking my ski pass in advance but it seems you cant buy a 5/6/7 day pass yet. Do I just turn up on the day and buy this or will it be released earlier online? Thanks
ski holidays
@RichardRJW, Welcome to Snowheads, yes just buy it at the ticket office, you can buy it the day before and get free skiing from 3pm onwards the day before your pass starts
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar - thanks much appreciated, especially the 3pm tip!
snow report
@RichardRJW, you can go night skiing in Hinterglem as well, last bus from Saalbach to Hinterglem is 5pm but taxi's are easy to get, it's around €15 and they take 6 passengers, or there is the 680 bus which runs a bit later 7ish from memory and cost I think €1.75

https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/skitickets/skitickets-shlf
latest report
Go up the Bernkogel at 3pm (using your pass that starts the following day), ski straight over to Hinterglemm (possible pit stop at the Pfefferalm), après-ski party at the Goaßstall (or Schwarzacher), then night skiing, then eat somewhere like the Knappenstube, then taxi back to Saalbach.
Or go up the Schattberg XPress at 3pm, ski down pistes 2/2a, go up the Schönleitenbahn (closes at 4.00pm), and ski down piste 166 to the Bergeralm (happy hour 3.30-4.30pm), then down piste 152 to Saalbach.
Or go up the Kohlmaisbahn at 3.00pm, zoom around the network of easy blues and reds on the Kohlmais mountain for an hour, then to the Bergeralm for happy hour, and down 152 to Saalbach.
Just three suggestions for a first evening to break you in.
ski holidays
I don't know why I torture myself following this thread!!

For the first time in over a decade I have to take my college trip elsewhere.

If you know, you know!
latest report
@tatmanstours, you missed out several stops on the way down from berger
latest report
@kb36, on which subject, it seems that the Maisalm might be upping its game - lots of work done, including a big front extension and extended patio area.
snow conditions
Looking to pick up potential hinterhag customers
ski holidays
@munich_irish, have to agree with you there. Saalbach–Hinterglemm in December can either be heaven or hell. Heaven is loads of snow and very view skiers — mainly locals and weekenders. Hell is those strips of white running down the green mountainsides. As you say, I will only book once there is no green bits left on the mountains!
latest report
Quote:

As you say, I will only book once there is no green bits left on the mountains!

Can’t argue with that as a general policy for booking any ski holiday in December, and particularly pre-Christmas. However there are some gamblers out there, and more often than not they are rewarded with heaven, rather than hell. Long may that continue. And long may the majority of skiers and boarders stay off the slopes during December, for (understandable) fear that they may end up in hell.
snow report
@kb36, yes, you may be right. They may even start doing live music. But can you imagine what that stretch between the Maisalm and Hinterhag would be like at kicking-out time? Shocked
snow report
We decided to stay in hinterglemm. Hoping it is the quiet one of the two as Bergfest is on 10-12th dec & then followed by Rave on Snow 16th-19th.
Guessing 11th-16th could be noisy & my raving days are long behind me!
latest report
@Mr.Egg, I shouldn’t worry. Any noise tends to be concentrated around the Schattberg Xpress lift station.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy