Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
tatmanstours wrote:
@blue&gold, here’s the national update from “The Local”: (not sure how they differentiate between “bars” and “après-ski bars”!):

https://www.thelocal.at/20211208/breaking-these-covid-measures-to-apply-in-austria-from-sunday/

Salzburgerland, including Saalbach will open fully on 17/12/21. I’m assuming that all restaurants and bars will be allowed to open until 11.00pm (subject to the 2G rule, limitations on numbers, customers to be seated at tables, and masks to be worn when not at a table), but that the après-ski bars with live or pumping party music won’t be permitted to open until the situation changes.

Speaking personally, I can live with that. Last season it was a pleasure not to have “Johnny Däpp” continually ringing in one’s ears!

explains why my hotel was taking no bookings before the 18th last week. Maybe they had an incling. I couldnt move my holiday dates though.Sad
maybe next year
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Last season it was a pleasure not to have “Johnny Däpp” continually ringing in one’s ears!

You've now sent me down a Johnny Däpp YouTube Rabbit Hole! This is what its come to for me to get that alpine excitement going.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Kohlmaisbahn is opening tomorrow (which is good for me, as I simply have to walk across the road). Also the Magic 6er chairlift, and the Westgipfelbahn.
That’s in addition to the lifts that are already running - the Schönleitenbahn, the Poltenlift and the Zwölferkogelbahn.
Leogang is also opening its full compliment of lifts. Also, Fieberbrunn.
The Montana Royal Alpin Club at the top of the Kohlmaisbahn will be offering takeaway food from tomorrow. I don’t know if any other mountain restaurants are doing the same.
Full details are on the Saalbach website.
All links will be open on 15th December.
There’s a serious amount of snow coming down, and skiing conditions are fabulous.
I’ve just had to drive to Zell am See; there are a lot of snowploughs out, trying to keep roads clear - but there’s very little tarmac showing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We changed our flights and arrive to Leogang on the 17th, very excited Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snorks, Nikki Lauda (Mama Laudaaa)is the better song Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Nikki Lauda (Mama Laudaaa)is the better song

Now I find myself compiling a Spotify playlist of these absolute bangers! God help me!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snorks, someone has already done for you https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4oQkwD3anGzwj4MwBrNvBW?si=T22gjbiaRaaletwOuba1sg&nd=1 Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
haha!! Brilliant!! if I close my eyes I'm almost back in Bauer's Schi Alm!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snorks, Mrs Radar is now singing along to Sweet Caroline by DJ Otiz!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First time I've had a super salzburg pass for a while so I met up with a friend in Saalbach...
Wow! So much snow!
We went to to bottom from Saalbach to Leogang in fresh knee deep.
From mid station in Leogang the pistes are closed... Which made it even better skiing to valley. Shaping up to be great!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
radar wrote:
@snorks, Mrs Radar is now singing along to Sweet Caroline by DJ Otiz!

meh, its not a singalong unless you have done it at Fenway Park
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

meh, its not a singalong unless you have done it at Fenway Park

... or the Hinterhag Alm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mr.Egg, which resort is that in ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've sang it at Fenway Park in my only ever visit to a baseball game. Off to saalbach in March hopefully so maybe sing it there as well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The condition are really very good and it’s amazing to have the slopes to ourselves today, Sunday was busier but nothing like a normal year. It’s strange not being able to stop for a coffee or lunch on the slopes.

latest report
@radar, why can't you stop for a coffee or lunch, both were available as takeaway last week and are available for eating in this week?
ski holidays
@radar, I’m assuming that those photos were taken yesterday. It looks as if you were skiing the same slopes as me. You and Mrs Radar must have been the other two people that I saw up there wink
snow report
@tatmanstours, indeed we were in the morning our first ski in 23 months Shocked
snow conditions
@Chris_n, yes there are take away places on the Zwolferkogelm the Breitfußalm (closed Tue & Wed)and the Winkler Alm (closed Mon & Tue) both have seating a small distance from them.

Then on Kohlmains the Montana Royal Alpin Club, no seating you can huddle in the entrance, bit cosy Very Happy

The Winkler Alm is still cash only, signs up just to make it clear, they do have nice toilets though Laughing

So it’s quite limited and needs careful planning, you can’t just say it’s 11 coffee stop time let’s go to xxxx and have one.
snow conditions
@radar, I suspect it is more because it is early season than anything else. My village area isn't open yet, further down the valley where it is open most of the places aren't open until next week. The ones that are open you can now sit inside.
Anyway enough of this for now, going to check out the latest situation snowHead
ski holidays
@Chris_n, enjoy, lack of potential customers is also an influence, yester it was very annoying that some was actually on the slope with us Toofy Grin
latest report
Change of rest days for the Zwolferkogel , Huts with take-away offer: Breitfußalm & Winkler Alm (closed on Monday & Tuesday)
snow conditions
@Chris_n,
Quote:

I suspect it is more because it is early season than anything else.

I’m sure that’s right. Even in normal times one wouldn’t expect many punters on the slopes, or many restaurants to be open, during the first half of December.
latest report
Presume you just need 2G when buying the lift pass? Read in another thread about getting various lateral flow tests done for the lift pass but the saalbach website looks pretty clear to me. We are 6 adults all of whom are double vaccinated with boosters, so meet the 2G requirements.
latest report
@boabski, Correct. Anyone who is fully vacced should have no problems visiting Austria, or buying a lift pass.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@boabski, Correct. Anyone who is fully vacced should have no problems visiting Austria, or buying a lift pass.
getting back to UK is slightly more problematic
snow conditions
@kb36,
Quote:

Only slightly. For anyone who may be wondering, the chemist in Saalbach is doing PCR tests upon request until 6.00pm. Costs EUR 25 for anyone without an Austrian health card.
snow conditions
@boabski, we have had the booster and it’s in the NHS app, they scan the latest QR code and issue your pass, if you haven’t had the booster then so long as your second vaccination is no more than 270 you are ok.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
@kb36,
Quote:

Only slightly. For anyone who may be wondering, the chemist in Saalbach is doing PCR tests upon request until 6.00pm. Costs EUR 25 for anyone without an Austrian health card.
good to know, but what if one tests positive? Has omicron reached Austria yet?
snow report
@kb36, you need this thread, lots of stuff on the variant on there. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4878567#4878567
snow conditions
Another day fighting through the crowds on the slopes

ski holidays
Thanks all. Was in Mallorca in September and it was a doddle as long as you filled in the right forms. Presume it will be similar to Austria with passenger locator forms etc. Fingers crossed we get to go and well jealous of those enjoying the fab conditions at the moment. Looks amazing and a lot better than the dry slope in Glasgow on a cold wet and windy Monday night Very Happy
snow conditions
@boabski, Entry requirements are pretty straightforward if you are double vaccinated (second dose no more than 270 days) have the booster.

The 2G rules govern what you can do and is a more challenging if you have young children.

There is a thread going on the entry requirements and 2G requirements, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4878567#4878567
latest report
Had a good ski day today in the Ski Circus. With a friend I started out from Leogang and made our way over to Saalbach.

From there we continued to Fieberbrunn and on the way I had my big moment of the day. Skiing down the Reckmoos Nord we took the short black variant part way down. The snow was very polished and hard and I found myself sliding down on my backside, luckily without damage to myself or others. In general, though, the snow was reasonable although the descent later from the Zwölferkogel also took us on a polished piste which was testing.

In Fieberbrunn we were able to lunch in the S4Alm - the first time in a hut for over a year. Our return took us to the Hochalm lift. Here‘s a photo at the top

As you can see the weather was largely fine. The pistes were virtually empty. From the Hochalm we crossed over to the Zwölferkogel and from there on to the Schattberg and down to the Schönleitenbahn. That brought the only other weather problem, for the Glemmtal was covered in mist. Visibility was very poor on the lower section, which made coming out into sun and blue skies all the more impressive going up in the gondola.

All in all, a good ski day.
snow report
Last day in the ski circus today. Last 3 days have been great, not a single queue, empty pistes and great snow. Going to try a circuit of the valley from Leogang

Feel safe in all gondolas, lifts, huts etc, rules seem to be being followed in actions and spirit.

Hopeful that the season here will go nice and smooth, they are making all the efforts.
Already looking forward to arriving back I. Hinterglemm at the end of Jan, if we are allowed out of our plague island.
latest report
Quote:

rules seem to be being followed in actions and spirit.

Although I’m not sure that the ban on après-ski is being respected. From what I’ve seen and heard, the merriment, and even live music, is continuing more or less as normal, and the rules on mask-wearing are being ignored by some.
There are rumours about a possible lockdown looming in January - but who knows?
ski holidays
Would be a shame if flouting the rules creates another lockdown Sad

I am here with a 5yr old and a 4 month old so apres is currently the last thing on my to do list, so haven’t seen from that perspective.
snow report
Quote:

Would be a shame if flouting the rules creates another lockdown

Agreed, but it may be just the sheer impossibility of enforcing the rules on large numbers of drunk, carousing après-skiers that may lead to problems. As you say, it’s not even busy at present; imagine what it’s going to be like after Christmas!
And I’m surprised how blatantly some of the bars are risking enforcement action. I heard last night that a singer/guitarist was playing in one, and I could hear the strains of “Hey Jude” , being sung loudly in one of the bars, as I walked up Skiliftstraße around 6.30pm. Also the comment has been made that people are “forgetting” to wear their masks when leaving their table, e.g. to go to the toilet, especially after a couple of drinks.
ski holidays
A friend of mine was planning to fly to Munich on 28th Dec where I would have met him to take him on to Tyrol. Being a very careful sort of chap, he asked the Border Police in Munich if this was allowed. Their answer was “No”, more exactly:

“Referring to your request, a transit from Munich Airport by car to Austria is NOT possible due to the current restrictions.

Only transit by plane is currently possible.”

I presume that means transit within the airport building.

I have another friend who is planning to fly to Munich tomorrow! His only advantage is that he has a long-term rental on an apartment over here. We shall see whether that gets him onto the flight and through Germany.

What a pain this pandemic is!
ski holidays
Sorry - I thought I was in the Covid thread when I posted the above. I’ll copy it to the Covid thread now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy