Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@hammerite, I wonder if it was that season that was supposed to be the worst on record for early snowfall. It was all in the news. But I remember arriving in Saalbach in mid-December to find that the snowmaking had enabled all the main pistes in the valley, and also the links Leogang and Fieberbrunn, to be opened. They were bussing people in from other resorts that weren’t so fortunate.
It always makes me smile when I read about people being urged to “go high” in the early season, rather than choose a resort that has invested heavily in snowmaking infrastructure and technology.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, just had a look back, this was December 2016.

I think the season after this we went to the Ski Welt for Christmas. The start of the season was equally as bad, but the Ski Welt managed it shockingly. They were quite clearly sandbagging a load of pistes that had been prepared with man made for New Year week and just didn’t open them. There was a pretty decent dump on Boxing Day, but they still didn’t open up any extra. It was a shocking state of affairs - I’ll never go back there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any good guides to the loops?
Hoping to get the other half to transition to reds. She is more than good enough, but lacks self confidence.
Reds are so much easier than blues on a board, but she wont even look at them.
Some loop where there is no choice but to take a red (or 3) would be ideal…... Am staying in Hinterglemm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mr.Egg, I’d probably head over to the Bernkogel first of all. It’s a blue but has a fairly constant gradient. It’s also really wide so even if it’s busy it’s easy to stay well clear of anywhere else. This’ll help build confidence.

Westgipfel is a good progression. It’s red top to bottom without getting overly steep at any point.

The Skicircus app has a guide to different circuits they’re on the website too I think.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr.Egg, without going too far afield, I would spend some time on the Zwölferkogel. In particular the lower half of the World Cup run is a red, and it’s a very nice run. There are plenty of different options on that mountain for swapping between red and blue, which lead to the same place, and you can also suss them out on the way up from the gondola.
The easiest reds are probably at Fieberbrunn - easier than many blues. She can bypass anything too steep by using gondolas.
The Zwölferkogel Nord Abfahrt - piste 40 - is a good, long red from top to bottom. Once on it, there’s only one way to go. It’s okay for a reasonably competent intermediate.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The bottom of the blue back from Fieberbrunn is not very nice in the afternoon on a warmish day. Horrible narrow mogulled path (then a flat part needing reasonable speed) though the bottom part of the gondola can be used. I second tatman’s recommendation. The bottom of the Zwolferkogel is one of my favourite areas. A number of routes under the Zwolfkogelbahn. Wide and good snow as mostly not south facing. Have done several laps of it whilst others have been in one of the cafes at the bottom.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The bottom of the blue back from Fieberbrunn is not very nice in the afternoon on a warmish day. Horrible narrow mogulled path (then a flat part needing reasonable speed) though the bottom part of the gondola can be used

Yes, that is one part of the Fieberbrunn itinerary that can easily be avoided by hopping into the gondola (unless you look on that final bit of the Reckmoos South run as an opportunity to practise technique).
I once took my sister, a very timid intermediate skier, over to Fieberbrunn. She took the gondolas as far as the bottom of Reckmoos North on the way there, and also down Reckmoos South on the way back. She had some enjoyable skiing on the easier blues and reds around Fieberbrunn and thoroughly enjoyed her day.
Recommended lunch stops: the Wildalpgatterl and the Hochhoerndlhuette. The Pulvermacherschirm is also worth considering on one of those days when the sun and the views are not so important.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
webcams looking good this morning Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easyjet has cancelled my outbound flight!
FFS
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr.Egg, Sorry to hear, feel your pain we are having to go via Munich
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
radar wrote:
@Mr.Egg, Sorry to hear, feel your pain we are having to go via Munich

well, 38,000 avios & £2 later I booked BA out of Heathrow
£105 with £30 back statement credit, I get a night in the hotel on the friday + 8 days parking... So now need to cancel my BRS parking. £55 back - so only £20 worse off there.

Just need my £300 refund from EJ now..... funny fellows.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 3-11-21 19:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mr.Egg, not a bad deal
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aren’t EasyJet obliged to find you an alternative flight as opposed to a refund? That’s an awful way to have to use Avios imo.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andybomb1 wrote:
Aren’t EasyJet obliged to find you an alternative flight as opposed to a refund? That’s an awful way to have to use Avios imo.

I done a quick check & there the only EJ option was Gatwick. As it is a scheduled flight & more than 2 weeks away, they dont have to do anything.
Im sitting on tons of Avios, so not a biggy. I got enough to fly anywhere 1st class if there happens to be availability.

I was saving them to do the inca trail, Gallapagos & Easter Island, then BA dropped Lima Laughing
So, I have swapped back to Virgin Miles in the hope at some point in the next 5 years it merges to Star alliance. I can fly KLM/Air France then Razz
Just need enough Avios for Latam Air to get between the destinations.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m hoping Lima starts running again to use mine.

Be careful with LATAM as it’s expected to drop out of oneworld. I can’t remember which US airline has invested but Latin American options for Avios are about to get rubbish.

I’ve re-read your post and think you already understand that.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, look at Iberia you can use your Avios and they have a very good south american network, we used them to Chile.

Latam are joining with Delta, it’s likely that they will join Skyteam at some point, which also includes KLM/ AF.

Out of curiosity which hotel at Heathrow did you book, we are off soon and have an early flight.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
andybomb1 wrote:

So, I have swapped back to Virgin Miles in the hope at some point in the next 5 years it merges to Star alliance. I can fly KLM/Air France then Razz

I thought you could use Virgin points (miles) on KLM/Air France now

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/09/13/redeeming-virgin-flying-club-points-on-air-france-and-klm/comment-page-1/
snow conditions
As some of you will no doubt be aware, there was a fairly significant dump last night, and continuing this morning as I bravely pointed my car in the direction of Zell am See. On the way down the Glemm valley, I passed the emergency services attending to a couple of cars that had apparently come to grief, and I was aware of the piles of snow down the centre of the road, scraping the underside of my car.
snow report
@tatmanstours, fingers crossed it stays cool Very Happy
snow conditions
@radar, as you may well be aware, the forecast for nine days ahead is for mixed weather and temperatures in single plus figures by day, and for minus temperatures every night.
Not counting chickens before they’re hatched, but it’s pretty normal weather and temperatures for November. There seems to be a reasonable chance of the Saalbach ski season getting under way, as planned, on 26/11/21.
latest report
@tatmanstours, the Snow-Forecast alert came through the other day Very Happy
snow conditions
Just booked my first trip to Saalbach for early Msrch. Its somewhere I've been hankering to go to for some time. Hope I won't be disappointed.
ski holidays
Corky wrote:
Just booked my first trip to Saalbach for early Msrch. Its somewhere I've been hankering to go to for some time. Hope I won't be disappointed.

mrs ski for fun and I are booked at least hotel wise for early march .Travel plans are yet to be sorted but Im sure you wont be disappointed for us its the number 1 place for a ski hol just wish we had started going years ago
snow report
Hi Everyone! New Snowhead and first time poster here...My family and I (wife, 4.5 yr old son) are looking at heading to Saalbach for Dec 18-25 this year. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I am looking for some recs on Kids Ski Schools that are operating the week before Christmas. Snow Academy is not running kids groups and the the Ski School Furstauer is running limited groups. Any other good schools to recommend? We'd like to drop him in the morning and pick him up in the afternoon for a couple of the days, but we're seeing this might not be an option this time of year?

Also, it looks like the town is pretty compact, but we are looking for lodging that is a close walk to the main nursery slope, so any ideas here would be greatly appreciated.

My wife is a long time snowboarder who is going to start skiing this year, so hoping for some early season pow to rip solo while they are in lessons!

Cheers
ski holidays
@matthewj620, welcome to Snowheads and to the Saalbach thread!
I’ve sent you a personal message with my recommendations.
For anybody else who may be looking, I’m friendly with some good local instructors (most of whom operate through Zink Ski and Snowboarding School), and we also have a network of British friends who let ski apartments in Saalbach and Hinterglemm.
ski holidays
Hey Snowheads,

I am looking to spend the season in Salbaach working remote and am in need of accommodation. Have been looking around online but hard to find any info. Would any of you know some sites I can check or people I can contact? Also if anyone else in this thread heading there is thinking to spend the season there I would be happy to flatshare or something Smile

My partner has a job working there at a chalet but she wasn’t confirmed location till last week this is why I am so late to the party but any help would be much appreciated.

Just in case I am an EU national so living in Austria shouldn’t be a problem I’m pretty sure.

Much love guys hope I see you all up on those slopes this winter!
latest report
Hi,

There is a group of 6-8 of us planning to head to Saalbach from Fri 21st to Wed 26th jan.

Im looking suggestions for value/budget accommodation.

We are all men over 40 who aren't fussy but would like to be close to slope access and maybe not too far a Dander from pub/restaurant.

Thanks
latest report
@conor256,
sunweb can have some good pass & accomodation deals
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@conor256, you are very unlikely to get accommodation for so many starting on a Friday. Saturday to Saturday is the norm, albeit some places will take 3/4 nights starting Saturday. Assuming you are flying in, I would suggest you stop Friday in Salzburg and then get an early private transfer to enjoy a full days skiing Saturday.

When I have done short break before I actually found more options and it cheaper to book for the whole week and leave early!

www.Saalbach.com is usually a good source of what’s available
snow conditions
Thanks for the reply Eh oh!
snow report

ski holidays
Hmmmm now my sunweb booking has a blue bar saying booking changed. No idea why. Nothing in my booking & no email.
Hotel is still available before & after my arrival dates - so guess a phone-call to out WTF is happening is in order.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, sorry if I have missed the accommodation name in your posts but if it was Hotel Alpenblick in Hinterglemm Sunweb have changed the board details. It was initially being advertised as all inclusive board until it was questioned and now shows as Half Board. The hotel is half board in winter, I think the all inclusive option is a summer thing.
ski holidays
Looking for recommendations on transfer services from Salzburg airport to Saalbach. 2 adults and one 14 year old. What kind of prices for a return?
ski holidays
@Gilly28, we regularly use https://www.holiday-shuttle.at/en/saalbach-hinterglemm, they run a regular service .
latest report
@radar, Thanks that was one I was looking at.
snow conditions
@Gilly, I would check out taxi/private transfer if there are 3 of you. Holiday-shuttle.at is €105 pp return. I paid €145 each way for pre booked salzburg taxi on last visit in 2020, prices will no doubt have gone up, but shouldn’t be much more than the shuttle and you get door to door much quicker. This the firm I have used a few times below, If you have skis may need to check out if they can accommodate, but if not should be other private transfer minivan options including Holiday-shuttle.at

http://salzburgtaxi.eu/
latest report
@Gilly28, and if you want to reduce prices further consider posting your dates on here. There may be snowheads arriving at the same time willing to share.
ski holidays
also consider the bus from the airport. 1 change & under 20euro pp
https://fahrplan.oebb.at/webapp/
ski holidays
Quote:

also consider the bus from the airport. 1 change & under 20euro pp

Well worth considering if the times are convenient. It takes a bit longer than a taxi transfer, but the saving is probably worth an extra hour or so.
The cheapest taxi transfer last time I checked (admittedly the year before last) was Austria Taxis (www.austria-taxi.at), which boils down to €50 per person each way for a group of four.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy