Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Training for the ups

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, I'm only down your way at the end of a 200k bike (or halfway through a 400k) which would possibly impact my performance.

I'm confident my max HR isn't in the 190s; it's possible there's a beat or two left, but I'm almost at the vomit-limit in the mid 170s. And, sticking vaguely to the topic of the thread, I'm not sure a higher max HR would make any difference on the ups; mine has been steadily reducing over the last 20 years, but my fitness, speed and stamina have all improved over that time.

Edited to add - just checked with another data-geek running mate, and he is exactly the same, 94% max HR for half mara. He was also 90% for London mara this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowdave wrote:
...Edited to add - just checked with another data-geek running mate, and he is exactly the same, 94% max HR for half mara. He was also 90% for London mara this year....

Those are incredible figures, obviously, back in my youth I was not trying hard enough Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

With you doing 170 for a half I would have estimated your max to be at least mid 190's I'm sure @Boarder2020, will have a POV too?

Usually marathon average HR is 88-90% of max for a decent runner so assuming half marathon is similar (it may not be!) 166 average would suggest a max HR of around 185 to 188.

Let's assume you have actually underestimated your max HR - this is a pretty common problem it's actually very hard to max it out (and probably not particularly beneficial!). In which case your numbers begin to make a lot more sense.

Quote:

I'm not sure a higher max HR would make any difference on the ups; mine has been steadily reducing over the last 20 years, but my fitness, speed and stamina have all improved over that time.

Max HR is more genetic than anything else. Definitely not an indicator of fitness or performance in healthy people. It does naturally decrease with age so nothing unusual there. On its own it's not particularly useful, but it can be used to establish training zones which is problematic if the number they are based off is wrong. (Better to use power if cycling, or if running do a lab test to establish lactate thresholds and base training around those places).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One for you all to laugh at, just finished a mega job of cutting, splitting and hauling a tree load of firewood home.
Tree was situated about 450m or so and 20m lower than my home. Access with a vehicle nearly impossible. So rings were cut with a chainsaw, split and stacked Insitu.
The "training-for-ups" then began! Two shopping bags each containing about 10kgs each and walk home. May sound innocuous, what a work out!! Many times I thought "can skin up anything after this". In case you're wondering about 2tonnes..... 2000kgs. Said it was a mega job!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/_T0UXjuEpV0
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I generally do a combination of cycling and gym. The gym part is split 50-50% between some general toning of the core, back and upper body, plus one hour on a cross trainer on a "rolling hills/ mountain climb" setting. That's generally puts me in decent shape for the season. What you cannot however get in the UK is the acclimatisation.

Thank you @Weathercam for naming and shaming Very Happy It was my first day of the season AND that was at 2500+. That's where the altitude is playing against you in the first few days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I've put my chainsaw away and now I'm in Switzerland, Lauterbrunnen to be precise.
Yesterday was the first walk on skins. If you go gently and build up slowly there are no issues at all.
We really didn't do much, it was snowing, light flat-ish and cold. My Mrs was re-engaging with her boots a couple of hot spots. So flask out sitting at a barn, enjoy the massive north Face of the Wetterhorn (far better than Eiger north face) skins in bag and prep to ski.

The delight came from 2.5 Kms of skiing down untracked meadows in very light powder, plus finding a route we were unaware of!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy