Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A nice Austrian resort for Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a nice ski resort for Christmas please for my family (2 adults and 2 x late teens).

Somewhere as snowsure as poss
Nightlife not a biggie but a few nice shops and cafes
I’m a nervous intermediate so some nice cruisey blues
Some nice Christmas events
Non-ski stuff to do would be great (especially an ice rink)

Would mayerhoffen fit the bill maybe?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen
Zell am See
St Johann in Tirol
Kitzbuhel (or kirchberg in tirol & you can ski into Kitz & get a train back)
Seefeld
Or stay in Innsbruck & travel by bus to the surrounding resorts.

You should find events calendar for each place on tourists websites.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks mr egg. Good shout on events calendar too. Probably doing package so will be in resort. Were we independent id prefer Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want resort level snow, Obergurgl.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Google Hotel Enzian in Landeck.
They do a ski Safari. I believe they have an ideal apartment for families.
They will take you by minibus to the places that have the snow nearby.
ie. St Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus and the local hill is supposed to be good.
I've not been there myself, yet.
But one day.

When I read your post I was thinking Mayerhofen.

Staying in Innsbruck does sound a good idea.

You cannot depend on everywhere being now sure, and the most snow sure spots such as Stanton and Ischgl, I would not count as being family oriented.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just read your post again ... Late teens are not really family ...
They will love Stanton or Ischgl and Kitz (as long as they have snow)

I just remembered ...Kaprun.
Snow sure glacier and lower down the most cruisee blue part as well.
Only a bus ride away from Zell am See as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mitcva wrote:
If you want resort level snow, Obergurgl.

Thanks will have a look
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrLawn wrote:
Google Hotel Enzian in Landeck.
They do a ski Safari. I believe they have an ideal apartment for families.
They will take you by minibus to the places that have the snow nearby.
ie. St Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus and the local hill is supposed to be good.
I've not been there myself, yet.
But one day.

When I read your post I was thinking Mayerhofen.

Staying in Innsbruck does sound a good idea.

You cannot depend on everywhere being now sure, and the most snow sure spots such as Stanton and Ischgl, I would not count as being family oriented.

Cheers. Never heard of landeck before but will have a look. I’d need to look also at whether I’d be able to cope with those nearby resorts for the safari but that sounds a great option.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 18-09-21 22:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:
I just read your post again ... Late teens are not really family ...
They will love Stanton or Ischgl and Kitz (as long as they have snow)

I just remembered ...Kaprun.
Snow sure glacier and lower down the most cruisee blue part as well.
Only a bus ride away from Zell am See as well.

Lol I’m more likely to be partying than my kids!

Kaprun I had in mind was expensive but will revisit thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Landeck isn't a ski resort. Its a valley town from which you can access a number of resorts such as Ischgl, St. Anton and Serfaus. Its not a bad place but not particularly convenient. I can't say for Serfaus as I've never been but I wouldn't consider either Ischgl or St. Anton as ideal for nervous intermediates.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obergurgl
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lech-Zurs

https://www.lechzuers.com/en/winter/winter-sports
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have friends who go to Lech every year and love it. Very picturesque and Christmassy. Also extremely expensive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
Obergurgl

Another one for obergurgl. Many thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Corky wrote:
Landeck isn't a ski resort. Its a valley town from which you can access a number of resorts such as Ischgl, St. Anton and Serfaus. Its not a bad place but not particularly convenient. I can't say for Serfaus as I've never been but I wouldn't consider either Ischgl or St. Anton as ideal for nervous intermediates.

Thanks for the explanation - that’s probably why I’d not heard of it. And also for helping me rule out those two resorts.
snow conditions
Thanks for the lech recommendations @telford_mike, @Snowblades,
It looks beautiful. Will have to look at pricing though as on a bit of a budget this year. Cheers
snow conditions
Looking at obergurgl I can’t seem to find anything about events for this Christmas, although it’s probably a bit too early yet. Does anyone know what sort of things are on there?
latest report
@bambionskiis, personally I love Mayrhofen. It is where I went in first ever ski holiday and we returned as a family a few years ago. All the skiing is above the town.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3396253&highlight=mayrhofen#3396253

Never been at Christmas though.

Much More of a town than likes of Obergurgl.
latest report
Many thanks @NickyJ, what a great trip report. Being of a nervous disposition I would give the paragliding a miss but it looks amazing!!
ski holidays
Lech would fit your specification exactly but it is expensive to say the least. Obergurgl is good for christmas snow reliability and easy pistes but maybe lacks something in the stereotypical Tirolean christmas charm department (simply because it is small & high). Ischgl is good for snow and a big ski area, it doesnt really score highly in the village charm element though no doubt there will be lots of effort made to create a christmas atmosphere. Obertauern is again good for snow reliability, not the biggest ski area (cant remember how "intermediate" friendly it is, last skied there 30+ years ago) but as it sits on a high pass not necessarily good on the charm front.

Mayrhofen might be a good choice, snow reliability at Christmas isnt guaranteed though it does have easy access to a glacier. As it is the main town in the Zillertal it does have plenty of facilities (I would guess a swimming pool and ice rink) but still keeping some of the atmosphere of a large Tirolean village. It is likely to be a good place to spend Christmas Eve (main celebrations in Austria). Assuming reasonable snow there is a wide variety of skiing available.

Kitzbühel is another good valley option, charming old town with good selection of facilities & shops but might be expensive and though the ski area fits your specification it is not the highest and christmas snow can be unreliable.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, many thanks. I think we’re between obergurgl and mayerhofen now tbh. Probably the latter as it’s a bit bigger and seems to have more going on generally. Fingers crossed we all have decent snow this year.
snow report
Mayrhofen is unlikely to have snow in the town unless lucky! But all the skiing is up high and there will be snow making in any case. Book a locker at the lift base for less faff.
latest report
Matrix wrote:
Mayrhofen is unlikely to have snow in the town unless lucky! But all the skiing is up high and there will be snow making in any case. Book a locker at the lift base for less faff.

Would be nice but not a deal breaker (looking at a positive, less chance of slipping on pavements I guess Very Happy ). Noted on locker cheers
snow report
Zell am See which has been previously mentioned has a very nice Christmas market in the central square in town. Pretty lakeside setting (usually frozen in winter of course), and there's nearby Kaprun with glacier skiing if the snow conditions should (unlikely) be poor elsewhere.
ski holidays
Hi @Alastair Pink,
You would be very lucky indeed to get the lake frozen at Christmas ...
I've been lucky enough to be there a few years ago when the lake was frozen enough to walk on, on the Saturday and we had a late transfer.

It is just magical when it is frozen, loads of people skating over to the other side for a hot chocolate Smile

And confused swans looking for somewhere to touch down again.

I dont think it has frozen since though, but there is always hope.
Zell is a very nice town though .. with good rail links around to Salzburg for a day off of coffee, cake and Mozart

My favourite is Kitz though. It has everything .. even snow most times.

Lech is a very up market village, fantastic on slope restaurants .. but you have to be royalty to afford it.

I think
@bambionskiis, first choice Mayerhofen is about the best for his crew.
I don't think I would put Obergurgle on my list ... but I've never been there ..
We made the mistake one new year of going to Hoch Solden...
but it was lifeless after 8pm... We had to take a taxi down to the town to have a good night out.
Its only for the newly wed or the nearly dead ... (perhaps its time I went there again) rolling eyes
ski holidays
Everyone is saying Lech is so expensive. What is a "normal" nightly rate for a hotel room with breakfast, no dinner, in Austria within walking distance to a lift?

I really don't know, this coming trip is my first to Europe for skiing.

We have paid reservations in Lech for 244€ per night. Am I going to find dinner costs us 500€? (Yes, I should have gone half board, I know, but my daughter wanted variety at the time we were booking. I am sure we will regret this.)
snow conditions
You won't find Lech much more expensive than the destination resorts in the US. It's just expensive by alpine standards. Skiing has become much more of a country club experience in the US. Blessedly not the case in Europe entirely anyway. So, places like Lech, Zermatt, 3V are notably more expensive when compared to many European ski areas. If you regularly ski big destination resorts in the US, you won't bat an eye at Lech.

So, you should be able to find reasonably priced dinners somewhere, or just check with your hotel about shifting to half board. Half board is very common in the Alps, and many restaurants are hotel based, so you will sometimes be treated as a bit of a second class citizen (or even turned away in the event of a full house) if you show up at a hotel based restaurant as a non-guest.

Visited your town for the first time in August by the way. Just one night at the end of a week long rafting trip, but looked like a great place during that brief stay.
ski holidays
I’d offer up the Alphof Hotel in Alpbach. Lovely traditional hotel in a beautiful small village. Crystal do package holidays to there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sibhusky, no worries about dinner in Lech.
In Lech the hotels that do dinners for ‘outsiders’ in general have dedicated seperate restaurants.
What is essential though: reservations for each and every night.
Ask your host for suggestions. Some restaurants need reservations weeks ahead (eg Hüs8, Schneggarei)
Some other middle-of-the road favorites (which means quite excellent): Hotel Omesberg, Hotel Formarin, Restaurant Alpenblick (in Zug).

High(er) end: Gasthof Post, Almhof Schneider, Klösterle (in Zug)
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, I have been to Obergurgl for Christmas (with Crystal). It was fun and snow sure, family oriented and of course blue pistes for returning back from Niederhutte in the afternoon. The skate rink was very close to our hotel. They have a lovely weekly ski schools snow show which outperformed the St Anton's one.
BUT it's a very small village with very few things to do beside that. The Christmas market was every other day and minimal.
We used the free bus to ski in nearby Solden some days, it was fun for further skiing and some shopping in the evenings plus the bus system is very efficient and always on time.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 20-09-21 5:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@sibhusky, the room rate you mentioned isn't eye watering, Lech is known for having much higher prices.
Sometimes I have paid around €200 per night for a double room in Ischgl and St. Anton. It's also a matter of distance from the center and gondolas, I never stay remote.
You can definitely find cheaper prices for my above mentioned but I don't believe it also goes for Lech. If it's clean and central, you are lucky IMO.
The shops are exorbitant but you can find normal dinner prices in many places.
snow report
Thank you so much for your recommendations and thoughts everyone. I booked mayerhoffen last night after being really torn with obergurgl. In the end I chose it because the town is a bit bigger and at our stages I just think we need space to explore. Not looking forward to the gondola back into town at the end of the day experience as that’s not something we’ve had to do before but I don’t think it’s a biggie. Looking forward to the Christmas market; that looks awesome. Would be great if there was a ski show too but I think it’s too early yet to find that out. Just hope I can cope with the terrain, lots of reds. I’m a gentle cruisey blues person (I know grading is different in Austria).
snow report
bambionskiis wrote:
Looking forward to the Christmas market; that looks awesome.

Less than 100 days to christmas ...

http://youtube.com/v/DjKrU8VgugY
ski holidays
We've been lucky with snow the week before Christmas at Schladming, still remains one of my favourites.

Have stayed at the Sport Hotel but also the cosy self catering apartments at the Ferienalm though not centrel.
ski holidays
bambionskiis, interesting you are keen on "Christmas events".
For us (missus and me) the whole point of going to the mountains in December is to get away from all that ghastly Christmas stuff.
Still, hope you enjoy Mayrhofen. Going down on Gondola can be quite a nice way to end the day: time to chat about the fun you've had and look forward to the evening.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
bambionskiis, interesting you are keen on "Christmas events".
For us (missus and me) the whole point of going to the mountains in December is to get away from all that ghastly Christmas stuff.
Still, hope you enjoy Mayrhofen. Going down on Gondola can be quite a nice way to end the day: time to chat about the fun you've had and look forward to the evening.

Given she has teenagers, I suspect this is probably partly driven by it being one of the cheaper weeks (Easter is similar) for getting a ski holiday in school holidays.

For us for this season easter is out to allow eldest to concentrate on revision ready for GCSEs if the exams go ahead this year.

If we hadn’t lost out on seeing any family Christmas just gone, I would have been looking at Christmas ourselves
snow report
bambionskiis wrote:
Thank you so much for your recommendations and thoughts everyone. I booked mayerhoffen last night after being really torn with obergurgl. In the end I chose it because the town is a bit bigger and at our stages I just think we need space to explore. Not looking forward to the gondola back into town at the end of the day experience as that’s not something we’ve had to do before but I don’t think it’s a biggie. Looking forward to the Christmas market; that looks awesome. Would be great if there was a ski show too but I think it’s too early yet to find that out. Just hope I can cope with the terrain, lots of reds. I’m a gentle cruisey blues person (I know grading is different in Austria).

The forest fesival themed Advent market closes last weekend before Christmas (19th?)
snow report
@James77, shame as that hadn’t come into my radar before booking. Looks lovely though.

@DB, thanks for the video :nice

@Jonpim, I understand. I’m still just a big kid at heart so still love the whole christmas thing. Good point about gondola actually.Thanks for the reframe.

@NickyJ, eldest is away at uni and will be on placement at Easter so we’re tied to this period and still allowing her time to see her boyfriend for new year. Also there are clashes with son’s college dates. Nightmare. Sympathies about the whole Gcse tie. We’ve got that with A levels next year. Urghhh.

@Mr.Egg, oh rats. Not there till after then so will miss is. That’s the way my year has been going though Crying or Very sad . I thought I’d read it as 21 December but that must have been a previous year. Hopefully there will be other fun Christmas stuff instead!!
ski holidays
Sad
https://advent.mayrhofen.at/en/dates/
snow report
@bambionskiis, it will still be fun and everyone will be happy to be there at that time.
No wrong choices in Austria for Christmas Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy