Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d’Huez accommodation etc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are a family of 5 who are thinking of driving to Alpe d’Huez for the New Year week. What is this resort like over New Year in regards to the lift queues? How snow sure is it? And which arrival day has less traffic, Saturday or Sunday? We have heard this is a family and beginner friendly resort, which is what we are after. We have seen an apartment in the l’Eclose area which looks good. I would just like to know if this area is centrally located? We would like ski in ski out accommodation ideally. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Motherofthree, by new year week do you mean the week commencing new year's day or finishing on the Saturday of New Year's day? There may not actually be any tranfers on the Saturday (new year's day) this season.

New Year week is usually the busiest week of the year
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I mean 25th Dec - 1st Jan. We are planning to drive, so won’t need any airport transfers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is the map of the village: https://www.alpedhuez.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/alpedhuez-Plan-station-H20-21.pdf

L'Eclose area is not very central, truth be told. It's down the South end of the village, whereas the lifts that take you to the nice beginner areas are at the North end (either Bergers or Rond Point des Pistes on that map). Your accommodation might just be ski-out: there's a run that goes from the intermediate station of the Alpe Express lift down to its bottom station, but I don't think it will be ski-in.

There are (free) busses and lifts that will take you from Ecloses up to the ski area mind, so if the apartment looks nice I wouldn't rule it out completely. But that can be a faff, having to carry skis etc., so I would be tempted to look more for accommodation up near the North end of the village (Bergers or Cogner areas on the map).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mad for chelsea wrote:
Here is the map of the village: https://www.alpedhuez.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/alpedhuez-Plan-station-H20-21.pdf

L'Eclose area is not very central, truth be told. It's down the South end of the village, whereas the lifts that take you to the nice beginner areas are at the North end (either Bergers or Rond Point des Pistes on that map). Your accommodation might just be ski-out: there's a run that goes from the intermediate station of the Alpe Express lift down to its bottom station, but I don't think it will be ski-in.

There are (free) busses and lifts that will take you from Ecloses up to the ski area mind, so if the apartment looks nice I wouldn't rule it out completely. But that can be a faff, having to carry skis etc., so I would be tempted to look more for accommodation up near the North end of the village (Bergers or Cogner areas on the map).

Thanks very much for your reply, this is what I suspected too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Motherofthree, I think that you are actually planning to arrive on Christmas day or Boxing day will completely change the Saturday or Sunday traffic situation. May I suggest that you check with the rental agency just when the accommodation is avaialble. Many places that usually do Sat to Sat are doing Sun to Sun over the holiday period.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Motherofthree, have you considered staying in Oz-en-Oisan?

Been to ADH/Oz a couple of times at Christmas:

18th to 25th December 2010 I wrote at the time:

The forecast was for a dump of snow Saturday night but it never materialised. A shame as clearly the amount of snow was less than ideal. Still it was cold initially. However as the week progressed it became warmer and on Wednesday and Thursday we had rain going at least as high as 1800m I would say. Oz at 1350m lost all it's snow, though the runs home stayed skiable. Friday it turned to snow and by Saturday morning everything was white again. Suddenly there was a bit off piste to be enjoyed whilst many pistes were very icy underneath the fresh snow, and therefore not so much fun.

14th to 21st December 2013: bit patchy at first then fresh snow https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2422054&

Don't ever recall (we've been a couple of times late season too) major queues at ADH.

Usual transfer day will be Saturday and so that will be the busy day. There is always a bit of a pinch point at Vizille but the drive up to Oz where I've generally stayed as always been fine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure I’d pick Oz for beginners who want ski in ski out?

@Motherofthree, I’d look for something in the Jeux/Cognet areas. These won’t be truly ski in ski out (unless you get something right at the top of the resort) but you’ll have very easy access to the beginner ski areas. The Rifnel lift has an almost flat green run along the side of it so you can cross the road, ski down to the Rifnel lift then use that to get to where the ski schools meet

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 9-09-21 11:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:

Well it's certainly ski in ski out.

And the two gondola's out of it will take you to the lovely beginner slopes down from Alpette to Montfrais or over into the easy runs above ADH itself.

We went there with our children when they were very young.

The home run from Alpette is lovely, from Les Jeux a little challenging in parts but a lovely run nonetheless.

Oz is a smaller, quieter satellite station - so just offering it up as alternative.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, looked at a map and there is more beginner stuff in Oz than I remember. Sorry Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arno, yeah, no worries... just happens to be one of my most regular haunts Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
Arno wrote:

Well it's certainly ski in ski out.

And the two gondola's out of it will take you to the lovely beginner slopes down from Alpette to Montfrais or over into the easy runs above ADH itself.

It's easier than that for the first couple of days as you start on the green right in the heart of the 'village', next to the bottom of the Poutran gondola and a 2 minute (beginners in ski boots) walk from the ski school meet point opposite the Sherpa 'supermarket'.

Dragged a load of beginner friends there Feb half term 2019 and lift queues were actually fine in/around Oz. The only long queues I saw were at the standard first thing/lunch time/home time crunch points, the rest of the time it was "busy but OK".

If picking between Oz and Ad'H I'd say a lot will come down to how old your children are. If U16 I'd probably go Oz but Ad'H if over. Oz is lovelly and small, and quiet. If you have younger children where it's basically going to be ski/feed/wash/children to bed/adults pop a bottle of wine then you're not missing anything and the small size isn't an issue/is in some ways a benefit. With older children/young adults you have more post-ski hours to fill and they will often want to be out on the town and there Oz with it's 3 quiet bar/restaurants probably won't cut the mustard in the same way its much larger neighbour would.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mjit, all good info and agreed

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 9-09-21 20:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to be open, I have a place in Eclose.

No you can't describe it as ski in / ski out. It's possible a few times a year normally but you still need a lift to get back. The lift linking Eclose to Bergers is now a fast bubble, so great to get to the beginner area there, or set off on the marmottes etc to get higher. It's single figure minutes Eclose to Bergers. It is also staying open later as the eventual aim is for it, and the planned legs down to Huez or up to the top of the town, to replace the resort buses.
If you do look at places in Eclose just remember there is a lower and upper part, there is a public lift (as in like an actual building lift) to get from the lower to the upper so it's not so convenient really in the lower area. The upper area is where the bubble leaves from and there are shops, restaurants, ski hire places etc, there. It is very convenient for the sports centre, 5 mins, and not much more to the town centre for outdoor pool and ice rink.
Definitely less late night noise and through traffic than the town centre areas.
The above is not meant to be a sales pitch, just my asessment, after having a place there for 18 years Smile
@Motherofthree If you are looking at a specific building no problem to confirm exactly where it is, just let me know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Motherofthree, We have skied AdH 3 times as a family driving each time. Twice at Christmas once at February half-term. Christmas week the snow was hardpack and very icy each time. Better at February. There is a great fun run slope aimed at beginners but not absolute beginners. Oz en oisans is quieter entry point but not a whole lot for beginners there IMHO. Catering options are bountiful and not excessive by 3V standards for example. AdH much much busier. Pic blanc at 3300m or thereabouts so snowsure but no place for the fainthearted!

We had enjoyable family trips there when kids were still beginners. Ski school was good. We no longer go because it is not as snowsure as its reputation in our experience and lift tickets are really expensive for a family of 5 wanting to ski the whole domain - more than the accommodation potentially (more than 1,000 euros if memory serves correctly). Much better value of you are a family of 4!
snow report
And what @Mjit said!
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
Oz en oisans is quieter entry point but not a whole lot for beginners there IMHO.

Yep, think they were on the couple of local greens for the first couple of days then up the Poutran gondola that droped them at the top of the main Ad'H blue/green bowl the rest of the week. All in all it worked out very well, as nobody was skiing over from Ad'H to ski the Oz greens so other than the local ski school they were empty so the beginners could practice in peace outside lessons without the fear of being attacked from behind by a transiting skier bombing past.
latest report
Thank you all for your replies, they have been very useful! We have now booked an apartment in the Bergers area of ADH, in Residence Les Bergers. I hope and think this will be a good location in the resort for us.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-09-21 22:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@Motherofthree, I think that you are actually planning to arrive on Christmas day or Boxing day will completely change the Saturday or Sunday traffic situation. May I suggest that you check with the rental agency just when the accommodation is avaialble. Many places that usually do Sat to Sat are doing Sun to Sun over the holiday period.

We are doing a Saturday to Saturday rental. Leaving England on Christmas Eve and arriving in ADH on Christmas Day. Do you think traffic might be quieter this year for the New Year week, due to the first Saturday being Christmas Day?
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@Motherofthree, We have skied AdH 3 times as a family driving each time. Twice at Christmas once at February half-term. Christmas week the snow was hardpack and very icy each time. Better at February. There is a great fun run slope aimed at beginners but not absolute beginners. Oz en oisans is quieter entry point but not a whole lot for beginners there IMHO. Catering options are bountiful and not excessive by 3V standards for example. AdH much much busier. Pic blanc at 3300m or thereabouts so snowsure but no place for the fainthearted!

We had enjoyable family trips there when kids were still beginners. Ski school was good. We no longer go because it is not as snowsure as its reputation in our experience and lift tickets are really expensive for a family of 5 wanting to ski the whole domain - more than the accommodation potentially (more than 1,000 euros if memory serves correctly). Much better value of you are a family of 4!

I really hope there will be enough snow there from 25th Dec when we are arriving! Yes, if you add it all up it will be quite expensive for a family of 5, I agree.
ski holidays
Motherofthree wrote:
I really hope there will be enough snow there from 25th Dec when we are arriving!

I've been several times at the @rse ends of the season... you will be fine.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
I really hope there will be enough snow there from 25th Dec when we are arriving!

I've been several times at the @rse ends of the season... you will be fine.

Thanks, I hope so!
latest report
Motherofthree wrote:

I really hope there will be enough snow there from 25th Dec when we are arriving! .

If there's not enough snow in Alpe d'Huez on 25th. Dec then that's probably going to be the same over the rest of the alps anyway. To varying degrees, some worse, some better. No consolation but that's skiing Laughing
latest report
Motherofthree wrote:
We have now booked an apartment in the Bergers area of ADH, in Residence Les Bergers. I hope and think this will be a good location in the resort for us.

Up a mountain - check.
A snowy mountain - check.
With pistes - check.

You're good on location.

Now you can jump across to the "Driving down" threads and start debating crossings/to stop or drive though/where to stop en-route to do a big shop/etc Smile
latest report
I have always stayed in L'Eclose by choice. It is lovely and easy to get to Bergers and to the beginner areas. It is a nice walk into town and has its own facilities too. The whole resort is a joy and great for learners and progressors.
Imho ADH is the best area in France currently - Snowsure and sunny, good navette, decent food outlets etc etc and masses of skiing for all levels.
The mountain steepens as you get higher so there are easier slopes at the bottom, with a network of wide greens that can flatter you but are just enough to have some faster fun on as you head home. Up high there are some great tests and there is mileage galore with trips to the other villages in the network
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
We have now booked an apartment in the Bergers area of ADH, in Residence Les Bergers. I hope and think this will be a good location in the resort for us.

Up a mountain - check.
With pistes - check.

You're good on location.

Now you can jump across to the "Driving down" threads and start debating crossings/to stop or drive though/where to stop en-route to do a big shop/etc Smile

Thanks for your reply, yes, next we have to plan where to stop en-route. Thinking about the Dijon-area at the moment...
snow conditions
Yellow Snow wrote:
I have always stayed in L'Eclose by choice. It is lovely and easy to get to Bergers and to the beginner areas. It is a nice walk into town and has its own facilities too. The whole resort is a joy and great for learners and progressors.
Imho ADH is the best area in France currently - Snowsure and sunny, good navette, decent food outlets etc etc and masses of skiing for all levels.
The mountain steepens as you get higher so there are easier slopes at the bottom, with a network of wide greens that can flatter you but are just enough to have some faster fun on as you head home. Up high there are some great tests and there is mileage galore with trips to the other villages in the network

Thanks for your reply, sounds great! Now we are just hoping we will be able to go and that our teenagers won't have to do antigen tests every 2-3 days for the "Pass Sanitaire"...
ski holidays
For ski pass if possible buy it online before as it should be cheaper. Remember you can load old ski passes(ones with the number starting 01) so you can get straight onto the slopes.

The Marmotte 1 has changed to a telemixte which is close to where you are staying along with a new magic carpet for any beginners.

If you are looking to do a shop don't stop at CASINO supermarket in Bourg d'Oisans as it's expensive, better in Vizille.

As you are driving the roadworks in Grenoble are ongoing so you might get stuck for a bit there.

Everyone looking forward to the season after the nightmare of last year.

Have a lovely time.

ps if any of the party like craft beers Goodwin Brewery, just before you come into Bourg, is the place to go Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Motherofthree wrote:
Mjit wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:

Up a mountain - check.
With pistes - check.

You're good on location.

Thanks for your reply, yes, next we have to plan where to stop en-route. Thinking about the Dijon-area at the moment...

You will like Bergers - it is a good place to stay.
Try the restaurant Tremplin at night, as well as it being a lovely suntrap in the day. Some will be a bit sniffy about it as it is not being classy enough, but the many times I have eaten there it has been splendid with something for all ages. It's not far from where you are staying.

Driving down - look at Troyes - not quite as far down as Dijon but leaves the most interesting driving til the second morning
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy