Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2021/2022

Poster: A snowHead
@ChrisPainey, They are all controlled and marked although left "Natur". Morbleu is closed quite often due to avi risk, recently it slid across Les Etroits exit track. Coqs is usually closed because its been skied to bare earth!
If you are there for a week I would be tempted to hire a guide, well worth the cost for the experience.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-01-22 17:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@eblunt, Yep we have the same problem the other way getting back across to go to Montalbert since they removed the little pulley lift that went up to the top of the Bergerie lift.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin wrote:
@eblunt, Yep we have the same problem the other way getting back across to go to Montalbert since they removed the little pulley lift that went up to the top of the Bergerie lift.

yes, wasn't it called Lanches or something ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems there was a stike yesterday . . . ?
https://www.ledauphine.com/social/2022/01/26/la-plagne-le-personnel-de-la-station-en-greve-jeudi-27-janvier

eblunt, I think it was Lutins (Leprachaun).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, We'd heard rumour there was going to be a strike but most lifts seemed open yesterday. Pretty much a normal day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonpim, yes, of course, Lutins.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, they warned all Esfs vigorously in advance of the strike. At 9am yesterday at Les Blanchets they announced that Col de Forcle might not turn all day because of the strike. It turned out to be only a delayed opening. I did not go beyond Bergerie/Blanchets/Col de Forcle/Colosses for my training day yesterday, so have no idea of other lifts, but from all I saw, it turned out to be a normal gorgeous day Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eblunt wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

yes, wasn't it called Lanches or something ?

Aah, I meant top of Colossus lift!
It was called Leitchoums this from a 2001 lift map

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was looking for that lift just today, remembered it from about 7 or 8 years ago. It must have been at the bottom of where the snow park now is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BoardieK, yep
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember the good old days with Col de Forcle 1 and 2. The left one was always faster than the right. But the queue in half term was always huge Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boredsurfin, Yes of course. Senior moment here. I remember the old colosses drag lift, my god that was a ball crusher.

That's got the old Belle Plagne chairlift in as well, used to run from virtually outside our flat. Mind you we hardly ever took it as it didn't actually get you anywhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, eblunt: Leitchoums. Of course.
So why did we call it the Leprechaun lift?
My local learned source (Lady of the House) tells me it was a "play on words": Leitchoums sounded a bit like Lutins, and it was a sneaky lift that allowed those in the know to get back to Plagne Centre without the melee of Bellecote.

eblunt, that old VERY slow Belle Plagne chair lift: it supplied the beginner area for Belle Plagne, but didn't it also take you up to a drag lift that used to run along the left hand side of the slalom course? I'm sure boredsurfin will know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, Yes, from the map there was Dahu, which took you a bit higher, but still really the beginner area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim,
Quote:
eblunt, that old VERY slow Belle Plagne chair lift: it supplied the beginner area for Belle Plagne, but didn't it also take you up to a drag lift that used to run along the left hand side of the slalom course? I'm sure boredsurfin will know.

Indeed we still miss that lift it was part of our sneaky half term avoiding the queues route. Up the Belle Plagne chair across to the double Poma Col de Forcelle 1 and II yes the right was slowest (that's the one that's there now!) drop off on to the Leitchoums piste, ski to the Leitchoums drag lift then ski all the way down to 1800 up the 1800 lift, then Adrets lift and home! (Montlabert)

I don't think we used a lift by the slalom course, maybe it only served that stadium? On my 2001 map theres a stadium sign the lift is 'Dahu' I guess that's it?

I found a French Facebook group that's campaigning to make SAP put Leitchoums back. As they can't even keep Envers chairlift open I guess theres no chance of another lift being put back!
snow conditions
@eblunt, The old Colosses drag, with its ball crushing jerk to start and just as you got settled in a tight dog leg right when once you survived that it almost stopped and then jerked you forward again - but it was a good shortcut Toofy Grin snowHead (It did have a sign saying experienced skiers only)
Is there any lift with 'character' left Very Happy
ski holidays
As far as unviable lifts go I used the Dou du Praz button lift (Plagne Soliel) 4 or 5 times today and only once could I see anyone else on it.
latest report
@BoardieK, That was put there when they removed the Colosses drag and moved the Meleze lift as the restaurant at Dou du Praz was left with no lift serving it and the Dou du Praz piste
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Is there any lift with 'character' left

Sadly no.
Not only did those lifts have character, they also (like Leitchoums) had nicknames.
Colosses drag was "the Dogleg Drag".
And before the drastic surgery, Col de Forcle was "the Long Drag" (we still refer to it as such, even after the sad loss of its lower third)
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
@BoardieK, That was put there when they removed the Colosses drag and moved the Meleze lift as the restaurant at Dou du Praz was left with no lift serving it and the Dou du Praz piste

The Colosses black has disappeared from that area I noticed.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:

Off Topic "snow report" Laughing The short but fun Bretelle Trieuse piste off the top of that lift has the best snow I've found.
latest report
Reaching out to you La Plagne addicts!

Half way March 2022 on our way to Tignes (sorry) we plan one day exploring La Plagne. Starting around 9 from Plagne Roche we first would like to get to the Champagny side quickly. Is this possible via the Becoin, Cretes and Verdon Nord Lift. It seems you can ski from the Gavotte piste direct to the Verdons Nord lift, or not...? On the skimap a connection is missing and you should ski down to the Collorado lift.
latest report
@Japie, Quickest would be up La Roche, down to Plagne Centre up the new Lovatiere lift then ski down to Champagny.
Are you looking at this years Piste Map?
snow report
Thanks, indeed, looked at last years map!
ski holidays
Japie, the route suggested by boredsurfin will certainly get you over to the "Champagny side" quickly, but all the runs down from Les Verdons take you to the bottom of Verdons Sud with a frustrating walk over to the Borseliers lift.
You can avoid this by getting across Plagne Centre to the Funiplagne Grand Rochette, but this also involves a frustrating walk.

You can avoid both walks by a small detour in getting to Champangy side. After all you are there to explore La Plagne. It would be a pity to miss one of the lovely runs down to Plagne Centre.
So, up Lavatiere, then down Verdons, Marie Chantal and Pollux to the Funiplagne. (You could go via Banzai instead, but can be daunting first thing)
Then from the top of Grand Rochette head down Mira and Geisha straight to the Borseliers lift.

And while on Champagny side, don't bother with the Borseliers restaurant (however tempting it looks). Try any of the others. Our favourite is Roc des Blanchets.
latest report
One reason I am not that keen on La Plagne is because they keep removing these 'mid-mountain' lifts and replacing them with 'bottom-top' ones. It tends to force people into long queues (Arpette, Colosses, Bergerie etc), which even when you know they will be there are difficult to avoid. There are times when weather or snow conditions mean it would be preferable to keep to either upper or lower slopes. And once less-experienced skiers are ready to move on from beginner slopes it tends to push them to the top of the mountain.
snow conditions
@ecureuil, I guess it's all to do with manpower and costs. A fast 6 or 8 seater bottom to top chair only needs a many people as a 4 seater mid mountain slow lift. They are gradually turning everything into these types of lifts, and reducing the overall number of lifts. Almost everything built in the last 10 years ( Colosses Bergerie Lovatiere Arpette etc) seems to be this.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Or do Lovatiere, Monte de la Guerre piste and then up the Champagny gondola.

( sorry, that was a joke as MDLG is never open )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eblunt, joke or no, I'd never thought of that one.
And, you know: i quite like it. snowHead
ski holidays
All thanks for the reply's, very helpful!

@eblunt, Indeed MDLG was my first thought. But understands often closed.

Still puzzling on the best spot to start the day. I come from Albertville on a Sunday and Roche seems the best place for parking (free) and getting quick into the centre of it all. But I understood it is also the place busses park and groups start their day. So what would be the best place to start:
Free parking,
good access
not too busy at the start of the day at 09.00 hrs.

And I will try to cover the whole area
snow report
Japie, I would still go for La Roche.
It saves you 4-6 corners up to the next parking.
I've not seen buses parked there.
Its where we always recommend friends to park, and no one has mentioned any problems.
snow report
@Japie, As Jonpim says above plus La Roche was built to stop people driving all the way up and saturating the car parks and road system. Some Coaches park there on the right hand side, I guess mainly in the peak weeks. There is a ski lift pass shop there but I think that's peak weeks only as well.
ski holidays
@Japie, Yes, echo the above, parking should be easier there. If you keep your speed up ( sensibly and being wary of other skiers of course ), you can just about get over to Funiplagne from the top of La Roche without much of a push. Certainly much less walking than from Verdons Sud to Borselier
latest report
Here in La Plagne this week, until today we had glorious blue skies and sunshine, pistes all pretty good, few icy patches here and there, today has been snowing and windier, more snow forecast so hopefully will freshen everything up. Mask wearing is mostly non existent and we’ve only been asked once for proof of vaccine status. It’s quite busy with some queuing at lifts but it’s great to be here after a 2 year wait!
snow report
@eblunt, Plagne Centre has been re-profiled (again) and the entrance to the Funi Plagne changed (re-built) the knack is to keep to the right of the Flagpoles where there is now an almost level run across. However, if the queue for Colorado is back far enough you are forced down hill and then have to walk uphill to the Funi - its easier to skate along past Borselier than climb up to the Funi now!
snow report
@boredsurfin, Cheers. It was quiet and quite hard packed 2 weeks ago when we did it, so got to Funi just about without pushing, but can see how that can change with crowds and softer snow.
snow report
Quick question on lift passes if I may.....

There are 3 of us arriving on Friday 18th March for a long 'weekend' - departing in the afternoon of Tuesday 22nd March. This means we are looking to ski Sat/Sun/Mon and a few hours on Tuesday morning. Probably content with staying La Plagne side of the Vanoise.

So far I seem to have worked out that the cheapest option would be to buy separate daily passes to take advantage of discounts available for Saturday/Sunday:
Saturday - Samedi je ski - €37
Sunday - Dimanche Malin - €45
Monday - standard 1 day pass - €57
Tuesday - 4 hour pass - €45
Total - €184

Bit of a faff as not sure if I order these online whether they will arrive as 4 separate passes or not but saves about €20 or more.

Anyone got any better ideas???

Cheers.
snow report
@chopkins13, Nope you are spot on with that.
You could get a Ski Ala Carte BUT you would still have to buy the Sunday Malin as its cheaper than A la Carte BUT you would save money on the Monday €48.50. However Subscription for ski all Carte is at full price of €30 now. (its €15 pre season) But save a lot of faff. The Weekend discount tickets can only be purchased at the lift pass offices I think.

https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/la-plagne#calendar-anchor (Change drop down and date)
snow report
Thanks @boredsurfin, reassuring to know my homework was correct!

There’s an option on the La Plagne website for ordering the Saturday and Sunday discounted passes in advance which you can just collect on arrival so I think it looks like we’ll plump for that.

Rather frustratingly KLM have curtailed our trip by 2 hours thanks to a reschedule of our flight home. If you were self-driving on a Tuesday in March to make a GVA flight at 17:30, what time would folks leave Belle Plagne? Midday maybe?!
snow conditions
@chopkins13, Thats good to know, must be a new feature. Belle Plagne to GVA on a Tuesday - 3 or 4 hours I would guess, so early lunch and off I guess. You would still get in a few hours on the piste.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy