Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can filing with a fine diamond stone change edge bevel angle?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just bought new Salomon QST85 skis.
Wanted to figure out what are the bevel angels and give the edges a polish with a fine diamond stone (600 grit).
I felt that I needed to apply some pressure and did not remove the sharpie marks very evenly.
I used 1 degree for both base and side edges with a multi edge tool.

I wasn't sure what is the factory setup, but from my search it looks actually more 1 degree base, 2 / 88 degrees side.
Is it possible that I changed the side edge angle from 2 to 1 using the fine diamond stone?
Is there anything I should do about it?
The edges feel sharp and smooth.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would not say it is impossible, but usually you use the diamond stone to polish, and not to grind. Get another stone for grinding and setting the side angle, and then polish with the diamond.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cp3, 600 grit won't change the angle, get a fine file for under a tenner, then redo with the diamond
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @cp3, welcome to snowHead

You'd probably need to go through a handful of diamond files to change the angle by a degree so you should be OK.

Have you checked out @spyderjon's page at https://pisteoffice.com/index.php/edge-angles-wax-data/15-ski-manufacturers-edge-angle-specifications.html?

For Salomon, it shows a base angle of 1 and edge of 2 / 88 degrees but this can slightly vary between each ski and along the edge. Unless you're a Pro, it won't be significant, but if you're like me you just want it "right".
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies!

I was concerned that I messed up the factory angles, much calmer now Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cp3, are you perhaps over thinking things here?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, that is exactly what I wanted to hear wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cp3, sorted then, eh!?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy