Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

early jan comparism of iscghl/ kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im trying to get 5days in either Ischgl or Kitzbuhel, I Jan. I did Ischgl in late April a few years ago and enjoyed a few powder days, a great week , but admit it does not compare with the Arlberg for challenge and variety. Though it has some steep pistes that are steeper than St antons.
Reading reports both resorts have good freeriding and good for early season snow.
Kitzbuhel is good in bad weather I have read lots of good stuff in treeline, From what I gather Iscghl often has better early snow than St Anton.does not get more snow just keeps it better as is more N,NW facing in orientation
Innsbruck seems the best airport.
I was wondering on on other S/H experience, I have a very good value price on a hotel in Galtur, but the Ikon pass has Kitzbuhel on its list which I have, may swing it . Like all things there is a compromise my main priority is good challenging skiing a decent hotel at good price, Apre Ski a few all important post ski beers and a good dinner does me.
Kitzbuhel has good write up as a very old town giving a good resort ambiance ,
Looking forward reading s/h take on both resorts.

Forst
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to all those areas in different periods. In a normal January they will all enjoy perfect snow coverage. There are other aspects to compare.
Ischgl is more dynamic in my opinion. Higher altitude starting points, longer pistes in what seems to me a tighter territory.
We were based in Ischgl and enjoyed the fast morning approach and the live apres ski at Kuhstall. Less relevant for next season probably, but fun.
Kitzski ski area is lower and seemed scattered - more to travel from place to place. But lower is better in bad weather, we found fun pistes above Jochberg during heavy snow with bad visibility whereas Ischgl would have been a nightmare.
We were in Kirchberg, cheap but boring. A bit like Galtur vs Ischgl.
The main advantage of Kitzski with a car is based upon the possibility to buy the Tirol SuperSki pass and then you can reach the SkiWelt area by car/cable and bus. Which was awesome.
St Anton is perfect, for me it's in a different league together with Espace Killy. More challenging and definitely more captivating than the 2 others mentioned above. It all depends who you are skiing with, skills and fitness levels.
To conclude, all of them deserve a week and all of them should be great in January. Pick one according to your circumstances and go to the others the next times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sound like you’re mixing up on snow records.
Ischgl does not have better early snow than St.Anton. Ischgl has much more snowmaking, that’s what makes Ischgl more reliable early season.
Also ‘keeping snow better due to N/W facing’ is not relevant in early January/midwinter, sun is too weak to make a difference.
The early season aspect is important in Ischgl vs Kitzbuhel though. Quite often first real serious snow comes late, especially in lower resorts like Kitz.
Therefore: stick with Ischgl.
That is: Assuming you’re vaccinated....Austria is seriously considering allowing only vaccinated tourists....!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've Been to both Kitz and Ischgl in early season on a couple of occassions. For me Ischgl/Silvretta works best. Both have pretty extensive snow making, but Ischgl gets a bit more of the fresh stuff. Galtur is a good call for accommodation, give Kappl and See a try if you get the time (I use the bus).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure Kitzbühel is good for early season snow. There is a small area at Pass Thurn where the lift company "farms" a quantity of snow from the previous season. This allows a single lift and adjacent pistes to "open" from mid October. In reality this is only of interest to local ski clubs for early season training and a few folk interested in a couple of hours pre season skiing. It offers much the same as a dry slope does in the UK. Kitzbühel is a good area, it is at its best in a cold snowy January. However there are also years when there is little or no real snow before mid/late January, it is not unknown for the Hahnenkamm ski race (around 20th January) to be curtailed for lack of snow. The area offers more variety than many of the nearby resorts with some genuinely steep pistes and a reasonable amount of off piste. There is also plenty of skiing amongst the trees which help in poor weather, though most of the challenging skiing is higher up. The town itself attracts lots of wealthy Germans and the clinking of Sekt glasses is more common than the strains of Sweet Caroline drifting out of apres spots. The town does have character lacking in many other places. The outlying villages like Kirchberg are much quieter.

Personally I loath Ischgl, it is owned by a particularly unpleasant bunch. However the skiing is very good. In terms of piste skiing it is probably better than the Arlberg and the off piste is pretty good too. It is good for early and late season because it is so high, I guess it is the highest non glaciated area in the eastern alps. I have been skiing there in early December when it was the only non glacier skiing in the whole of the alps. It is not a good place in bad weather as it is very exposed and the lift company will not refund tickets even if all the lifts are closed. The ski buses along the Paznauntal are not as frequent as you might expect, unlike most other areas the lift company have little interest in those staying outside of the family village so only a minimal effort is expended in connections to Galtür, Kappl etc.

While both Kitzbühel & Ischgl are good places and worth visiting I dont think they are on the same level as the Arlberg (few places are). Kitzbühel has more character, less of a high mountain feel. Ischgl is better late and early season though has less snow amounts overall than the Arlberg (big dumps generally hit the Arlberg first). Crowds can be an issue in all three but perhaps worst in parts of the Arlberg.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you everybody,some useful info@munich_irish, your comment on how Kitzbuhel gets it early season snow very interesting.
The impression I have with reading the comments on Kitzbuhel if one has good snow some really good skiing if not highly ? If one has a mixed bag of skiers etc I could imagine a very nice resort to visit. for just a ski holiday.
As for Iscghl piste wise it probably better than St Anton, interesting listening to peoples experiences your comments on the buses could be a pain.
St Anton has the edge and from my experience it has.
So St Anton it is.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Though it has some steep pistes that are steeper than St antons.

I like Ischgl, but surely St Anton can offer far more ... and steeper if you want them ... options? Come to think of it I can't think of any properly steep options in Ischgl, even off piste from Val Gronda cable car. It can have some tricky all too icy runs up top mind. What have I missed?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pisteoff wrote:
Quote:

I like Ischgl, but surely St Anton can offer far more ... and steeper if you want them ... options? Come to think of it I can't think of any properly steep options in Ischgl, even off piste from Val Gronda cable car. It can have some tricky all too icy runs up top mind. What have I missed?

From memory of how different runs felt I'd say what looks to be 14c, the black that drops down into the "C" valley, just above the C5 chair is the steepest.

It's NOT 37, from Paznauner Thaya to Silvrettabahn/Fimbabahn middle station!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pisteoff wrote:
Quote:

So how steep do you need ? There is plenty both on the swiss side (Visnitzkopf area) and down the front of Pardatchgrat - If you are a regular visitor on the the World Freedride Tour, you might be bored after a couple of days. Speaking of that - They host the qualifiers down the Valley in Kappl, so I am sure many will be entertained there too (same liftpass).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pisteoff, The official pistes in St Anton are not that steep, bits of Fang maybe. The steeper stuff is generally designated a "ski route" (for example Langerzug is not an official piste though it is piste bashed). From memory there are steeper pistes in Ischgl and more of them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@pisteoff, The official pistes in St Anton are not that steep, bits of Fang maybe. The steeper stuff is generally designated a "ski route" (for example Langerzug is not an official piste though it is piste bashed). From memory there are steeper pistes in Ischgl and more of them.

I would agree here.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry but I have to put this straight; Langerzug is Lech, not St.Anton. (precisely Langerzug is quite impossible for most skiers coming from St.Anton, to include on a day trip)
But yes, the steep stuff around Arlberg (!) in general is not 'on-piste'
There are some nice black pistes in Zürs and Warth. But Warth is too far for most St.Antonians too.....And even in Zürs there is no time, all being in haste to make it through to Lech and back home..... Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forst wrote:
Im trying to get 5days in either Ischgl or Kitzbuhel, I Jan. I did Ischgl in late April a few years ago and enjoyed a few powder days, a great week , but admit it does not compare with the Arlberg for challenge and variety. Though it has some steep pistes that are steeper than St antons.
Reading reports both resorts have good freeriding and good for early season snow.
Kitzbuhel is good in bad weather I have read lots of good stuff in treeline, From what I gather Iscghl often has better early snow than St Anton.does not get more snow just keeps it better as is more N,NW facing in orientation
Innsbruck seems the best airport.
I was wondering on on other S/H experience, I have a very good value price on a hotel in Galtur, but the Ikon pass has Kitzbuhel on its list which I have, may swing it . Like all things there is a compromise my main priority is good challenging skiing a decent hotel at good price, Apre Ski a few all important post ski beers and a good dinner does me.
Kitzbuhel has good write up as a very old town giving a good resort ambiance ,
Looking forward reading s/h take on both resorts.

Forst

Have skied twice in Ischgl in January - fantastic snow, but can be bl))dy cold - was -25°C on one day, and can be very cold on the various ridges. Kitz is rather more protected, and lower.

Innsbruck - Ischgl is a very easy drive, though the Pazaun valley can get blocked - only one way in. Indeed it was blocked one of those January's, but mid week so was in and out easily. Kitz safer in that respect. (The one road out meant a 5 hour delay getting out in March 2020). Innsbruck can get closures and Munich diversions, though I've only had one delay in about 8 uses. Salzburg (for Kitz) a bit safer

There is quite a variety in Ischgl, though steepish red seems to be the default; I assume you skied Samnaun as some of the better runs are over there (my favourite area is that served by the new N2(?) lift, lots of moderate uncrowded reds.

Lifts better in Ischgl - second only to Saalbach

Kitz can be expensive but will have cheaper hotels than Ischgl itself where everything seems to be 4 star

NOTE - very rare to get a 5 day hotel stay in Ischgl, they all seem to be 7 nights only.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
I guess it is the highest non glaciated area in the eastern alps.

Nope, Obergurgl is 1500m to just over 3000m, though it's a close call (Ischgl up to just under 2900m)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:

From memory of how different runs felt I'd say what looks to be 14c, the black that drops down into the "C" valley, just above the C5 chair is the steepest.

It's NOT 37, from Paznauner Thaya to Silvrettabahn/Fimbabahn middle station!

Correct. The tops of 20 and 21 are quite steep, though that doesn't last long

The original post mentioned Piz Val Gronda; nothing steep at all off that, and last time I went it was pisted and as a fairly easy red.

Ischgl really is best for reds
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy