Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Train to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there - we're taking the overnight snow train to Bourg St Maurice in a couple of weeks time. It arrives just after 6am, but the funicular up to Les Arcs isn't due to start until after 7am. Does anyone know if it starts any earlier when the train rolls into town? And any tips for the train - my wife and I, and our 10-year-old son...
Cheers for any replies, insights and tips...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Funicular won't start up early.

Eurostar is sometimes late, solving problem.

First Funicular is 7:30, not sure what you are planning to do in Arc1600 at 07:40 ?

There are cafes near the station that are open early.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Adam99, are you getting Eurostar from London or TGV from Paris? And if the latter, couchettes or sit-ups?

Either way @AndrewsPeppers, is correct, the funi won't start early.
However, if the train is slightly delayed, and it may well be, and you've got to walk from the front of the station to the Funicular station (if on Eurostar - can sneak up and over the back if on TGV - but will have stairs to negotiate - lifts only at one end), and you need to buy your Samedijeski passes to pay for the funicular journey (see many threads on snowHead re the Saturday passes), and you'll want to have one of the hot chocolates they hand out for free.... you'll soon fill up that time!

AR
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both - very, very useful. We're going on the Eurostar. Just seats...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Adam99, the new E-star trains seem considerably better suited for overnight than the older style, so you could get lucky on that.
As you may have read elsewhere, no booze anymore, so you should be able to get a decent nights kip without parties or loud neighbours - that is, if you are not too excited!
You'll come out via the station exit at the front of the train - you can grab a croissant in the station before walking back down to the Funicular station. Which is towards the back of the train. So if your seats are at the back (carriages 17, 1Cool, you'll walk the length of the train twice...and then some.

Or again, as above, a couple of places in BSM itself where you can get a breakfast before starting the trip up. Left out the station and across the zebra crossing for example.

But if keen! - then you can exit the rail station and turn right, through the bus station, then turn right again, back on yourself: You can walk down the road parallel to the platforms: easier than going up the stairs from the platforms that access the bridge that crosses all the rails. (that doesn't read too well, but you'll see what I mean when you get there!). Or there is a shuttle bus, but is small, and (IME) infrequent. Quicker to walk if your cases have wheels.

If you are coming home overnight as well, the parade of cafes at the station end of that road are good preparation for the trip - you get an early evening funi down, eat there (or can go onto the main drag to "Le Cozy" - odd name, nice restaurant), then board the train for home. Very civilised.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there is either no (or little) chance of getting the new Eurostar trains on the Snowtrain service this season.

It can be checked by using the Eurostar seat change service (only possible if you have a booking).

I know for sure that they are using the old trains on the Lyon/Marseille service well into the summer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup, we've had old trains to Lyon and Brussels within the last six months. It looks to me that they're only running new ones to Paris at the moment, but I could be wrong.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The new trains are horrible, much less comfortable in both classes. It's all gimmicks and weight saving unfortunately. They have also broken down on 2 out of 3 times I've had the misfortune to encounter them so far!

Hopefully they won't be used for the long haul routes for a while yet!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with you completely Schnee42: the new style Eurostars are definitely inferior. Especially the removal of the lower small shelf above the seats: it was perfect for placing your skis. Now only one slightly larger shelf.

And Adam99 (welcome to Snowheads), next time take the sensible comfortable option: Eurostar to Paris, then 1st class night sleeper from Gare Austerlitz with couchettes. If you book early its cheaper than the Eurostar Ski Train, it arrives later, you will have slept well, and you will feel so much better for your first day's skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonpim, Have the French couchettes improved in the last 8 years? Last time I took one on the Briancon line I was not impressed with first class, which was basically the same as second class with two less beds per compartment.

It is disappointing to hear the new Eurostars are inferior..I had feared this might be the case when I saw the marketing photos a while back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum, second class on the train from Austerlitz to Bourg is 6 hard beds with sort of sown-up sheet to sleep in. First class is 4 soft comfortable beds with sleeping bag and bottle of water plus pack with tissue, eye mask and ear plugs - i've never needed to use the pack.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey - thanks for the replies. The idea about going to Paris then down from Austerlitz is genius. Just wish I'd thought of that...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, do you know if the funicular from Bourg to Les Arcs is still broken?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://skiflightfree.org/les-arcs-funicular-forced-to-close-due-to-rise-in-temperatures/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Robskiing, in the article you’ve linked to there’s this

‘However, after standard regulatory checks before the summer opening, showed the situation had worsened, the decision was made to close the funicular and complete the work before winter.’

If it isn’t repaired already, it will be by the time the lifts open
snow report
Very Happy
ski holidays
I was in the resort in the summer and have friends with businesses there
they had been told it would be open by the end of January but were doubtful
they mentioned the heat and the rails plus the base supports moving which sounds like more of a longer term fix
snow conditions
ipken wrote:
I was in the resort in the summer and have friends with businesses there
they had been told it would be open by the end of January but were doubtful
they mentioned the heat and the rails plus the base supports moving which sounds like more of a longer term fix

It appears to be fixed and funi has been moving up and down today.
latest report
@timlongs, thanks for the report. That ties it with another local report that I heard that the work was complete and they were about to test the funicular for approval by the local authority.
snow report
@rob@rar, I think next summer is a bigger concern, the rails do still need replacing, but I guess in the winter expansion is less of an issue.

The concrete pillars that were being worked on all seem to be sorted though.
ski holidays
Thanks all. Here's hoping for a successful outcome.
snow report
Les Arcs tourist office advised me that it will open 04 December
ski holidays
Fantastic. I look forward to using it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy