Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK removed from the Switzerland High Risk countries list

Poster: A snowHead
Assume this means UK residents now able to enter CH without quarantine restrictions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only on business at the moment, or it's a £5K fine Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't understand why Poland isn't on the red list there
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc wrote:

Eeesh! Fingers crossed they relax that in next few weeks fans you can get some Spring skiing...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:

Or for charity work I believe?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Or for charity work I believe?

When I was in uni, a mate set up an "Art Appreciation Society" with the sole aim of having a heavily subsidised trip to the Van Gogh museum...... in Amsterdam Laughing

I think we ended up having to fork out something like £21 each, and the uni stumped up the rest and we had a 4 day trip (including all travel and lodging costs) to the Dam. We did visit the museum, for about an hour. The rest of the time was spent as you would imagine a group of students spending it Laughing

I'm sure someone could think of something similar for ski addicts needing their fix?!?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Eeesh! Fingers crossed they relax that in next few weeks fans you can get some Spring skiing...

Not until June at the earliest and jungle drums say probably extended
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:

But from the 29th did I see elsewhere on the forum that you could make a trip to your 2nd home to prepare it for sale/rent, and/or go to visit a property/agent for a property you're looking to purchase.

Weird I might just have to view some places in Zermatt over Easter.... I wish! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great news.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glacier appreciation society ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:
Glacier appreciation society ?

Where do we sign up?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, +1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I assume that is only for direct transit into Ch? The current situation in France might get them back on the list.

Still have to abide by the restrictions in place in your home Country, so no chance of traveling from the UK.

The restrictions will stay in place until the risk of importing a new wave is reduced to a safe level. Any attempt to get round the rules would be irresponsible.

Let's be honest, the ONLY people who will get to do anything in the mountains in the next few (at least 4) months are those who are lucky enough to already reside there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'People will be allowed to leave the UK to prepare a second home for sale or rent, according to new coronavirus regulations coming into force later this month. The latest restrictions, which will apply from 29 March, will include a list of specific “reasonable excuses to travel” outside the country, including what Labour branded as “the Stanley Johnson clause”. Boris Johnson’s father, Stanley, last summer apparently breached Covid guidelines by travelling to his Greek villa to make it “Covid-proof”. The exemption allows people to travel abroad “in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property”. Those activities include visiting an estate agent, developer sales office or show home, viewing residential properties to rent or buy, and preparing a property for moving in. ' The Guardian 23.3.21

For Brits intending to drive to CH, the next question will be what rules will apply to anyone transiting through, staying overnight, or returning from, France. Plus the rules for entry to Switzerland from France and vice-versa. Worst case for us might be that we can fly to GVA, but not drive through France.

Presumably, the Gov.UK travel pages:

Travel to France
Travel to Switzerland
UK Declaration Form for International Travel

will get updated when the rules change as above.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-03-21 15:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow, I saw removal from the list too and thought it was good news. Not yet. Was meant to be into Zurich on Saturday so still paining me to see the Feb like conditions in our usual haunts. Not too promising yet for hiking and biking over summer for Brits either from the rumours above Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
'People will be allowed to leave the UK to prepare a second home for sale or rent, according to new coronavirus regulations coming into force later this month. The latest restrictions, which will apply from 29 March, will include a list of specific “reasonable excuses to travel” outside the country, including what Labour branded as “the Stanley Johnson clause”. Boris Johnson’s father, Stanley, last summer apparently breached Covid guidelines by travelling to his Greek villa to make it “Covid-proof”. The exemption allows people to travel abroad “in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property”. Those activities include visiting an estate agent, developer sales office or show home, viewing residential properties to rent or buy, and preparing a property for moving in. ' The Guardian 23.3.21

For Brits intending to drive to CH, the next question will be what rules will apply to anyone transiting through, staying overnight, or returning from, France. Plus the rules for entry to Switzerland from France and vice-versa. Worst case for us might be that we can fly to GVA, but not drive through France.

Presumably, the Gov.UK travel pages:

Travel to France
Travel to Switzerland
UK Declaration Form for International Travel

will get updated when the rules change as above.

If driving and so just in transit through France you’ll be fine. Swiss entry requirements here. You just need the entry form. If flying you’ll need a negative test as well.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html
ski holidays
@BobinCH That's great. Many thanks.
snow report
It's slowly getting better, just the lack of a Swiss passport/Swiss residence permit stopping me now!
snow report
No quarantine to enter Switzerland, but only if you have residence. Regular UK visitors still blocked as not on the list of safe countries (schengen & a few others)
snow report
In Engelberg and it is snowing! Does anyone know a guide here? Local Engelber Mountain guides is fully booked.
snow report
gra wrote:
No quarantine to enter Switzerland, but only if you have residence. Regular UK visitors still blocked as not on the list of safe countries (schengen & a few others)

What’s your reference for this? The official link above states that the UK has been removed from the high risk list which means entry to Switzerland visa free permitted
snow report
@gra, so does this mean that schengen countries are on the safe list and uk isn't ? even though u numbers are a lot better than pretty much all of schengen countries ?

like bobin says where have you found this?
ski holidays
gra wrote:

I don’t think this is correct. U.K. visitors are now free to enter Switzerland without a requirement to quarantine on arrival. The residence requirement only applies to leaving the U.K. (where foreign holidays are currently banned). It makes no difference once you get to the Swiss border.
snow report
is swiss on uk redlist?
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
is swiss on uk redlist?

No.
latest report
does that mean that you can go to swiss and back without quarantine either way? ive actually had the jab but wondered what the current situation is as i might do a basi course in may in zermatt
latest report
Only thing to note is you would still need to do 10 day quarantine at home on your return to Uk and pay for three PCR tests
snow conditions
I’ll see be seeing how develop
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, it‘s not well laid out and takes a bit of digging to find the info, but I think @gra is correct. Switzerland has two lists - a „risk“ list with respect to quarantine and a „high-risk“ list (yes, really rolling eyes) which refers to right of entry.

The UK is no longer on the „risk“ list for quarantine:
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html#858610174
This means that anyone with the right to enter Switzerland, for example a Swiss citizen or resident, now does not have to quarantine upon arrival from the UK.

However, the UK is still on the list of „high-risk“ countries with respect to entry, and tourists from these countries are not allowed in at present.

From https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html?fbclid=IwAR26jWzIGHS4a3QnO-mwcEBSRW9br3q0-rcJARI5clBur59ovbq1FCznXF0#-1871257744
Quote:

Who is not allowed to enter Switzerland?
The ban on entry applies to foreign nationals who want to travel to Switzerland from a high-risk country for a stay here of up to three months, i.e.:
- Persons who wish to obtain services in Switzerland;
- Tourists, visitors and participants in events;
- Persons who wish to come to Switzerland for medical treatment that has not yet begun or that is not regarded as urgently required;
- Persons seeking employment or who have been invited for a job interview in Switzerland;
- Persons who wish to submit an application for a residence permit.

Which countries are considered to be high-risk?
All countries that are not Schengen States and those countries that are not listed in Annex 1 to the COVID-19 Ordinance 3, which states:

List of high-risk countries and regions
All states outside the Schengen area, with the exception of:
– Andorra
– Australia
– Bulgaria
– Croatia
– Cyprus
– Holy See
– Ireland
– Monaco
– New Zealand
– Romania
– Rwanda
– San Marino
– South Korea
– Singapore
– Thailand
ski holidays
I am in Switzerland, enters on the 25th march. UK is NOT on any list in Switzerland. As far as the Swiss are concerned you can enter without quarantine! When you go back to the UK Switzerland is currently NOT in the red list so no forced hotel stay! But EVERYONE entering the UK (subject to a small exception list have to self quarantine at home for 10 days plus take multiple PCR tests!
snow report
The UK came off all Swiss lists as of the 25th March.
snow report
Now, does anyone know a guide in or around Engelberg? Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!

If you come down today or tomorrow we can share the cost of the guide Monday and Tuesday! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Totally confused, not that it matters as I have no plans to visit Switzerland in the foreseeable future. snowHead
latest report
The best thing is always to go to the source pages. Which I listed above plus the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) as mentioned by @BobinCH. On the Gov.UK pages for Switzerland and France, you can subscribe by email and get updates when the status changes. I got an email today from Gov.UK which says among other things

- 'The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to the whole of Switzerland based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.'

- 'UK nationals who hold a residence or cross-border permit for Switzerland or Liechtenstein, or who are travelling from other Schengen countries, can enter Switzerland.' [my bold]

It then goes on to describe the various entry requirements to Switzerland and causes a lot of confusion by seeming to pretty much exclude UK nationals not having permit of various types etc. but then states:

- 'These restrictions do not apply to UK nationals who are travelling from other Schengen countries.'

and with regard to tests etc. gets contradictory. But the worst case parsing of the bulletin indicates that a UK citizen would need (a) a negative PCR test not more than 72 hours old and (b) to complete an online form before arrival providing contact details. The Swiss FOPH pages indicate that anyone arriving by air or train will need (a) but anyone arriving by car won't.

So, if you get to a Schengen country, then a UK citizen can legally enter Switzerland - without the need for a residence or cross-border permit. And if you're driving, you may not need the PCR test. But everyone will need to complete the online visitor contact form.

But as I said, because these rules are changing, the best thing to do is to get familiar with the Gov.UK and the French and Swiss equivalents so you can see the original source statements for yourself.

And even given the above, three further constraints remain. First, you would need travel insurance that waived the usual 'all but essential travel' exclusion. And second, if you're driving or taking the train, then you'll be subject to the constraints of travelling to/in France, whatever they may be at the time. And thirdly, you'll be subject to any rules about tests and quarantine when returning to the UK.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 28-03-21 0:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
bangwizz wrote:
Now, does anyone know a guide in or around Engelberg? Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!

If you come down today or tomorrow we can share the cost of the guide Monday and Tuesday! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!

Ask for Ace in Prime snow school, uk guy.
latest report
Quote:

Ask for Ace in Prime snow school, uk guy.

thanks! will try, but Prime is fully booked. will keep him in my Rolodex for the future!
ski holidays
My original understanding came from this article dated 25 March: https://www.thelocal.ch/20210325/explained-can-people-from-america-and-the-uk-come-to-switzerland/ My understanding is this remains the case, although it does seem somewhat illogical.
snow report
@bangwizz, suspect everyone will be booked. Fresh snow, weather is good. The main routes should be fairly straightforward and stable (avi risk 2)
ski holidays
@bangwizz, did you just fly direct from UK? If so, looks like you were lucky (unless you have Swiss residence...)
snow report
@gra I think that's the problem with looking at intermediaries' interpretation of the source pages. I think the article was correct at the time it was originally composed, but has now been superceded by what is stated on the official web pages. For the case I'm interested in (self-drive from Sussex to the 4 Vallées), my interpretation of the source pages from the UK and Swiss authorities is that if I can get my car to the Swiss border, then I can get into Switzerland without even the need for a PCR test.

However, at the moment, and I suspect for a while yet, this may be merely academic. Primarily because the Foreign Office still advises against all but essential travel there. And while that's the case, I can't get travel insurance as an over-65. And also because even merely transiting through France may be a problem in terms of travel insurance and French national/local rules. As an owner, I'll soon be OK to leave the UK under the 'Johnson' clause, but if you're not, then the primary factor is that it's simply not legal to go on holiday as yet.

FYI I listed the Source Pages for travel conditions on my blog Official Travel Updates: Switzerland & France on the basis that it's best for people to keep tabs on these pages as things change, rather than rely on articles that interpret them and may become superceded. For self-drive to Switzerland, I suspect that the national and insurance conditions re transit through France are going to be very volatile/opaque for a while yet and be the major limitation.

@gra I notice that you're based in La Tzoumaz too. The blog is on our personal apartment homepage for the Résidence Laforêt La Tzoumaz. If any of the maps and guides are useful for you, I'm happy to let you have originals, just PM me.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 28-03-21 12:10; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy