Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long term ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

I’m planning a month long trip to Morzine in Jan 2022. I’ve been banging on about doing it for years and the opportunity has finally arrived. I’m really hoping that COVID doesn’t mess it up. I haven’t parted with any cash just yet, but I will soon.

Anyway, hiring decent skis costs > €100 pw. Looking online I can’t find any examples of cost over a longer hire period. A ski pass for a month costs around the same as a ski pass for 12 days and I was hoping that ski hire would be the same.

Does anyone have any experience of longer term ski hire, or any idea of how much it might cost? Would I be better off buying my own skis in the UK before I go out? I’m planning to drive, so transporting them isn’t a problem.

Many thanks for any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SlowAndSteady, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I guess the answer regarding buying may be around your current skiing level, whether you’re planning on making some advancement and what your plans for skiing look like beyond your month away.

If there are no significant discounts to be had, I think I’d be inclined to look at buying, given the investment you’ll be making (c£400.00).

Another option may also be to test some skis before committing. Clearly in resort would be best - I’m sure the rental places in Morzine would be only too happy to facilitate this.

My personal experience has been that rental shops are usually comfortable discussing discounts. The last skis I bought (2 seasons ago), following testing several sets, I got a 40% discount on an almost brand new pair (1 weeks rental, previously).

Anyway, fingers crossed that your plans come to fruition and good luck, whatever you decide.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wot @Cacciatore, said. I'd be surprised if e.g. Eric at FB Sports (just below Pleney bubble) or Jamie at All Mountain Rentals (if he's still doing that) would not be up for a discussion.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SlowAndSteady, i got a very reasonable quote last year for season hire in Morzine, though obviously it didnt happen so I cannot comment on the actual service....i will wade through my emails to see if i can find it but off the top of my heads I think it was a shop called Doorstep skis in the town. What i can say is that they replied very quickly and seemed helpful.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SlowAndSteady, easier than I expected to find! It was Willie from Doorstep skis I got a reply from, with what i thought a hugely reasonable seasonal rental quote. It may of course be different for 1month but worth a message if they are open
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You may be able to buy a used pair from a rental shop as some are alwaya looking at turning over stock. We do this for our children instead of paying 4-7 weeks ski and boot hire.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn’t there a Morzine buy and sell FB group or similar? Put up a request with what you are looking for, buy some 2nd hand and sell them when you leave. Should be much cheaper than renting and privately owned skis usually have less use and more care than rental skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I strongly suspect that you would be able to get something from the likes of Glisshop, cheaper than hiring. The last 2 sets I purchased from them had 60% off, with free delivery.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another one to try would be Hubert Sport. More of a family run place and tucked somewhat out of sight but 2min from the S-M.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SlowAndSteady, the quote I got for season hire was 100-150 euros. It wasn't mentioned at the email stage and never got any further but I did wonder if part of the rental agreement might be taking them back to the same shop for servicing (weekly maybe?) so they were able to keep track of the condition and get a regular income from that. Would seem fair enough
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hope no-one minds I have a related question.

If renting skis for say 4 weeks would you expect the ski shop to allow you to swap them or maybe do the edges ? or would you be expected to maintain yourself ? I wondered if most ski shops would rather you didn't mess with their equipment but don't know how much damage a numpty like me could do Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m sure you’d be able to swap skis - I’ve certainly done this (pre-owning my own) on just a one week trip, assuming you’re sticking to the same standard/level of skis.

I’m also fairly sure it would be ill-advised to service them yourself. In spite of possibly paying the hire shop to do them. Not a massive additional cost, in any event….and probably less hassle.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi. Many thanks for the many responses. I’ll get some quotes from the hire places mentioned and I’ll check out the FB group. Really looking forward to it….
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SlowAndSteady, Ask about the price of buying second hand skis, bindings & poles from the hire shops. From doing seasons there used to be great deals at the start & end of the season. Despite going for January you might be able to get them to purchase the kit & get them to put it aside for when you arrive. Also look at the cost of buying a season ilft pass - many resorts give large discounts if bought pre-seaon - it could be cheaper than a month's pass!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kenzie wrote:
@SlowAndSteady, Ask about the price of buying second hand skis, bindings & poles from the hire shops. From doing seasons there used to be great deals at the start & end of the season. Despite going for January you might be able to get them to purchase the kit & get them to put it aside for when you arrive. Also look at the cost of buying a season ilft pass - many resorts give large discounts if bought pre-seaon - it could be cheaper than a month's pass!

There are some PDS season pass offers expiring today (31 Aug) which may apply.

https://en.portesdusoleil.com/prices/liftpass-deals/2020-2021-season-ski-pass-offers.html
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:

I'd do this.
Shops always have some decent, lightly used stuff from an earlier season which they are happy to sell on just to keep the stock moving over.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
I strongly suspect that you would be able to get something from the likes of Glisshop, cheaper than hiring. The last 2 sets I purchased from them had 60% off, with free delivery.

I don’t think Glisshop deliver to the UK any more. The OP may be able to get some delivered to Morzine. I bought skis and bindings for my grown up kids in December 2020 (just in time) for about £200 a set.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I don’t think Glisshop deliver to the UK any more. The OP may be able to get some delivered to Morzine. I bought skis and bindings for my grown up kids in December 2020 (just in time) for about £200 a set.

Just discovered Glisshop now have a .co.uk site.
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Just discovered Glisshop now have a .co.uk site.

Interesting. Their delivery costs have gone up (£17) but good to know they can still deliver here.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:

Interesting. Their delivery costs have gone up (£17) but good to know they can still deliver here.

Yup, they seem to have sorted that out. It still allows you to find skis at good value, if not looking for the very latest version.
ski holidays
Sign up for the October ski test, when the buttons become available at whichever is closest to you. Gives you a chance to talk to the staff and try a few pairs. Some good bargains to be had.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:

Yup, they seem to have sorted that out. It still allows you to find skis at good value, if not looking for the very latest version.

Interesting that they seem to have found a way round the import maze - a lot of the Euro bike shops I used to buy from seem to have just given up.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Interesting that they seem to have found a way round the import maze - a lot of the Euro bike shops I used to buy from seem to have just given up.

It may depend on the amount of business they do in the UK. Maybe bikes are more complicated to export?
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

It may depend on the amount of business they do in the UK. Maybe bikes are more complicated to export?

It’s not just bikes - it’s components, spares, clothing etc. These bike shops did loads of biz in the UK, so if it’s easily doable hopefully they’ll find a way to do it like glisshop.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Shops always have some decent, lightly used stuff from an earlier season which they are happy to sell on just to keep the stock moving over.

Yep, a number of the hire shops in the centre of Morzine have "Ex hire skis for sale" racks outside from the first day of the season to the last.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy