Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery vs Geneva for RYO trip to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Geneva
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevew wrote:
Got to ask RYO?

RYO = Roll Your Own, comes from those who rolled their own cigarettes and synonymous with DIY.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevew wrote:
Got to ask RYO?
Roll Your Own. I think 'DIY' would be a better term, but RYO is what seems to get used around here so I went with that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excuse my ignorance- RYO?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And here's why having a more minor airport in your itinerary is high risk:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156204

Note that Manchester is 3x the size of Lyon, let alone Chambery.

Sadly there will be many more such threads as we approach winter "my flight to/from XX is cancelled, I can get a refund but it's 3x the price to get another flight now, and it's 2x the price to cancel my car rental and rebook at the new airport".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdave wrote:

Sadly there will be many more such threads as we approach winter "my flight to/from XX is cancelled, I can get a refund but it's 3x the price to get another flight now, and it's 2x the price to cancel my car rental and rebook at the new airport".

Manchester & Geneva are hardly minor airports!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr.Egg wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Manchester & Geneva are hardly minor airports!

Exactly! If it's like this for MAN/GVA, what's Bristol/Lyon going to look like? Or Southampton/Chambery? If there isn't a high flight frequency on the route, then when something changes there just aren't enough flights to take up the slack.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even in the olden days many DIY trips meant driving. Now with all the uncertainty it seems a no-brainer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave wrote:

Exactly! If it's like this for MAN/GVA, what's Bristol/Lyon going to look like? Or Southampton/Chambery? If there isn't a high flight frequency on the route, then when something changes there just aren't enough flights to take up the slack.

A lot of routes will run for repositioning.
Get the flight from BRS to LYN for example & that Plane would have flown from Dublin to Edinburgh the to Bristol. Who knows where it goes after Lyon. Maybe the same route in reverse?

Lyon from Bristol operates once a week & seasonally an extra day somewhere - while Geneva operates everyday & sometimes more than once a day.
Demand for a midweek flight from Geneva to Manchester must be low, which is why the route got pulled & only a single flight operates.
You are trying to compare different routes that operate on different days to different countries.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
2020 I flew into Lyon fron Dubai - straight through passport control and luggage collection without delay. Probably the quickest trip through passport control I've ever had, including when returning to Australia. I stayed in Lyon a couple of nights but then caught the tram back to the airport and Altibus to Les Menuires with the usual stop and bus change at Moutiers. It's only abour 80 km from Chambery so if there is an Altibus shuttle running to the resorts it would seem a great option from the UK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lyon, with its very good railway station, is an excellent option. I am presuming the old Saturday charter tent check-in of a few years ago has been consigned to history!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Lyon, with its very good railway station,

Yes Part-Dieu is a good railway station with lots of connections but not near the airport. There is a TGV station at the airport but you still have to get to Part-Dieu from there. See http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Ski-Areas/Lyon-Saint-Exupery for more details
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"..I am presuming the old Saturday charter tent check-in of a few years ago has been consigned to history!.."

Moved it to Chambery ! Wink (or was it Grenoble...?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOTA wrote:
Lyon, with its very good railway station, is an excellent option. I am presuming the old Saturday charter tent check-in of a few years ago has been consigned to history!

When I was there in 2015 it was the EasyJet terminal, was certainly a blast from the past. There was a huge amount of work going on around it so whetehr it's stil lthere now.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevew wrote:
Got to ask RYO?

+1 perhaps its a relative of Bring Your Own?
ski holidays
I had no idea what RYO meant either - not aware of having seen it on Snowheads before. And I still think flights are just FAR too dodgy at the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy