Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

travel to Austria via France and Gemany

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I could offer a simplified answer for the following. We plan to travel to Austria via the tunnel, through France, overnight in Germany (Ettlingen) then on to Austria. My wife and I are both fully vaccinated so no problem other the usual declarations etc. The kids ( 16 and 15) are not fully vaccinated. The French and Austria rules are fairly clear in that a negative test has to be produced ( actually not in Austria as they are under 18 travelling with vaxed parents) but its germany which seems to be the problem - are the kids allowed in? There is mixed information spread across various websites so I wonder if anyone could clear this up for me, thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My interpretation of the FCDO Pages on Germany Entry Requirements for arrivals from the UK is that anyone over 11 must be fully-vaccinated. The exceptions are for German nationals and their partners andtheir children under 18; a resident; and various other exclusions that do not include holiday or transit. Take a look through the gov.uk pages above and see if your interpretation is the same, plus the linked German Embassy pages. You can subscribe to updates on the gov.uk Germany landing page.

I'm guessing that while the rules are clear for someone arriving directly form the UK by air, the issue you're encountering is over the rules for a Brit presenting themselves at the border with an adjacent country?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can’t comment on the specific rules for children, but earlier this week we (two adults) drove from the UK to Austria via Eurotunnel, France and Germany, with no stopover. We weren’t stopped or checked anywhere on our journey apartment from Folkestone. The France/Germany and Germany/Austria borders were not manned. Given your concern about Germany, might you be safer stopping over on the French side of the border, rather than Ettlingen?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@summerseat, The RKI publish the official info for Germany see here.

Basically the UK counts as a "high risk area" and anyone over the age of 12 who has been in such a place in the preceding 10 days must quarantine whatever means of transport they use to enter the country. Those who can furnish proof of either a full vaccination or a certified recovery can avoid this by uploading evidence when filling in the Arrivals Form see https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de . Anyone else can only leave quarantine after 5 days with a negative test. I cant see any exceptions for children travelling with their parents but might be missing something.

You should be able to transit with no issue (there is an exception for this) but not be able to stay overnight (you will be asked for paperwork by the hotel even though there are unlikely to be checks on the border). There are spot checks coming back into Germany from Austria on the autobahn at Kufstein & Salzburg.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Started typing a reply but got beaten to it, what he ^ said.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe look at stopping in Freyming-Merlebach. It has the usual selection of chain hotels. Then get the autobahn to Pirmasens and cut cross-country to Landau.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We missed the Kufstein and Salzburg spot checks by leaving the autobahn at Siegsdorf and crossing the Austrian border at Unken, not that we weren’t compliant with the requirements.

I understand that Germany has special rules for transiting, which I had a feeling extended to stays of up to 24 hours.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@summerseat, returned two days ago with my 16y old from Austria. The 16y old not vaccinated, required negative test on arrival and every two days afterwards. Not sure of hotel/region specific but these were the requirements in Voralberg.

Edit: we came to AT from BE (not UK).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@summerseat, See this thread for detailed information: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006#4813459

In essence your unvaccinated kids need a negative PCR conducted in previous 72 hours to enter Germany.

The UK is now vaccinating 16 & 17 year olds with a single dose and these show as fully vaccinated on the app/ certificate you upload.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowsartre, I think you will find that is now out of date. The RKI information is regularly updated in English and is the current official requirements. I thought there was an exception for kids travelling with their parents but not according to the RKI info from 22/08 ie today. I also had a look through the German Foreign office info https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus that very much seems to say everyone over 12 must comply though transit up to 24 hours is an exception. Safest to avoid staying in Germany if you are not fully vaccinated.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. As you can see from the various comments it’s really not too clear. I will e mail the German embassy in London for clarification, if I get an answer I will post up. Thanks again
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, thanks for the link, if I have interpreted it correctly it seems as long as we transit through there would be no issue, perhaps a stopover in France would the answer?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@summerseat, Correct
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy