Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
So what do you fellow snow heads think the best ski resort is?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what... apart from Glencoe Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wherever I am at the time, with lots of snow snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We talking scotland? Im talking globally
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
billo89, I think so is shoogly wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avanodrama in the Elbonian Alps is my favorite.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whistler
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
......open goal?

L R wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any of them right at this moment in time!! Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Anton
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tamworth Snowdome would do me such is my boredom at work right now!!

Only been to three but for the terrain, Val D'Isere was amazing. Les Gets was prety good though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2nd vote for Glencoe. My favourite however is Kicking Horse Mountain Resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's an awful lot of BS written about ski resorts - often by people who don't have to hand over hard-earned cash to try them out. To begin with snow quality and depth varies from place to place and from time to time. It isn't as predictable as people say so a patch of snow at a particular gradient is the same everywhere between Aspen and Zurs. You're stuck with the conditions you find so it'll either be fantastic or average but either way better than being sat at a computer. So, yes, Glencoe is as good as anywhere and going to the so-called "best" may not be as good - I got very wet both times I went to Whistler, froze solid in Vail and treated like a cash cow peasant in Courchevel. Also, how many runs can you ski at once? Personally I can only manage one so I'm dead happy in a small friendly area with few people and few lifts, not a mega rip-off resort that people feel obliged to call the "best" just because of all the superlatives in the resort's marketing blurb.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
I'm dead happy in a small friendly area with few people and few lifts, not a mega rip-off resort that people feel obliged to call the "best" just because of all the superlatives in the resort's marketing blurb.

what he said Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
awksquawk wrote:
Any of them right at this moment in time!! Sad
With you there!
snow report
Bode Swiller, agreed. I only liked Val because of the great runs that were deeserted. The fact that everything was so bloody expensive was the downer, but paying seven or eight quid for a beer is something I'm learning to live despite the Yorkshireman inside me saying i could have a night down't pit, a bowl of tripe and still have change for a greyhound a'tend a'day! Smile
snow report
Bode Swiller,

Good post. One of the best trips I ever had was to Soll (hardly up there in the experts top 10). The conditions were suberb and the craic was great. Equally I had a crap week in Aple D'Huez, 2 days of soild rain, 3 days of snow, if the sun had shone I would have had a great week.
snow report
Flaine, the architecture gets some stick but we've never experienced lift queu's even in school holidays and the main bowl is an intermediates paradise !
latest report
johnboy wrote:
Bode Swiller,

Good post. One of the best trips I ever had was to Soll (hardly up there in the experts top 10). The conditions were suberb and the craic was great. Equally I had a crap week in Aple D'Huez, 2 days of soild rain, 3 days of snow, if the sun had shone I would have had a great week.

Thats a pity about Alpe D'Huez. Im in love with the place. Was it just the weather that wrecked it or was the whole place just not to your liking?
latest report
So far for me it's Val d'Isere. Had a great time there last year and will, I hope, have another great time there next month. I've been to Three Valleys a few times, and echo Bode's sentiment re. my job as a cash cow.
snow report
Bode Swiller, spot on gnarly dude.
Last year I had 3 holidays in 3 hugely different resorts.
Each holiday and resort was magnificent in its own way. All that differed was the price.
latest report
I do find my self drifting towards smaller resorts rather than the mega ones. I will be having an afternoon at Khutai tomorrow and am very much looking forward to it for a change from the bigger places. No idea where I will be the next day though as we will decide tomorrow over a beer slope side Very Happy right then, now I must pack for my 4 am lift to the airport Very Happy
ski holidays
nothing beats Tignes for your first off-piste experience
in order

Tignes / Val D'isere (Val's town is best and better links to both mountains)

Verbier really good

St Anton

Alpe D'huez

Whistler - disappointed by samey samey tree lined runs
ski holidays
I've always enjoyed my trips to soll, great apres and great people. Have had awesome skiing in alpe d'huez - huge area and sun nearly every day when i was there!!

Best snow i've experienced - Killington, even though i was only about 10 yrs old... snowHead
snow report
I've skied in 3 places so far and had most fun in Val Thorens.
ski holidays
Wherever you happen to be. A bad day on the mountains is better that a good day in the office.

Having skied probably 50 resorts over the past 20 years (I've lost count), there are very few which I was not perfectly happy to be skiing in at the time. That said, there are certain resorts where the snow seems more consistent - but maybe that just because I've been to those places more often than some others.

The first question to ask yourself is "What do I mean by the *best* ski resort?"
snow report
Quote:

The first question to ask yourself is "What do I mean by the *best* ski resort?"

For me its reliably good snow (shocking!), a resort with plenty of eating options and decent nightlife with a relative nice mix of locals and tourists. Accomodation with easy lift access and a nice on site bar that has happy hour from 4-6pm.

Ideally, for the slopes i would like 10% green, 25% blue, 50% red and 15% black. About 200km of pistes. I like a small bit of off piste area that is not impossible. Also i want trees..... lots of trees!

Any ideas?? Little Angel
ski holidays
innerspaceservices wrote:

Too true, too true. Amazing place for that. Le Fornet in Val is someting special also - going through the trees is just magic Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

in order

Unless your first off-piste experience is somewhere with better snow conditions, better weather, better company, etc, etc
snow conditions
You can't have a bad skiing holiday as long as there's snow and no-one gets injured:)
latest report
Surely "best ski resort" it's so subjective and personal as to be meaningless?

Frankly I haven't skied enough places to have come to any firm decision, I'd like to have skied 100s rather than 10s if you see what I mean!

I've been to quite a few places in the Alps though, also Scotland and have skied in California and of these the only places I've been back to more than once are Scotland, Mammoth in California and Espace Killy.

Does that make them the best, who cares I enjoyed them.

Of all of these though the only one(s) that I'd be gutted (in fact seriously upset) if I knew I'd never be going back would be Scotland, Glencoe and Cairngorm in particular!

So ultimately I guess that's another vote for Glencoe (well, the snow there last weekend was better than St. Anton at Xmas IMHO) Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
.roga, Surely "best ski resort" it's so subjective and personal as to be meaningless?

Im just trying to get a reasonable ski discussion going as im guessing everybody on here loves to talk a bout skiing
snow conditions
billo89 wrote:
.roga, Surely "best ski resort" it's so subjective and personal as to be meaningless?

Im just trying to get a reasonable ski discussion going as im guessing everybody on here loves to talk a bout skiing

Yup and I'm adding to the discussion by saying it's meaningless and then attempting to answer it anyway ... basically 'coz I love to talk about skiing! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
scrubyjoe, Until you got to the tree bit you could have been describing Ischgl.
ski holidays
Is there a bad one?
ski holidays
When I was a beginner, for the easy slopes & apres ski, Obergurgl.

On May day w/e when most other resorts are closed or soup, Tignes.

On a long w/e in March for laid back Italian ambience & uncrowded slopes, Gressoney la Trinite.

For the day it was raining at village level & only about a dozen people were on the mountain in fresh powder, Monetier (Serre Che).

And finally, because I bought an apartment there and it feels more magical each time I visit, Grimentz.
snow report
The best resort has had a big dump overnight and next day is bluebird Little Angel now that's the best resort. Shock
ski holidays
peteski wrote:
The best resort has had a big dump overnight and next day is bluebird Little Angel now that's the best resort. Shock

Rules out Whistler then Toofy Grin got to be US resort probably in CO Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Wot the swiller said.
snow report
scrubyjoe,

Just the weather that spoiled it. I have no doubt A D'Huez in excellent, though I am not generally a fan of froggie land
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy