Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Check your UK passports!

Poster: A snowHead
We just recently got ours renewed and they were just popped through out letter box by a white van man deliver. Was surprised given what they can be used for that more care isn't taken to make sure they are going to the stated name.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So applied for my renewal last week and sent the old one back but online application tracking still states "send your old passport". Does this stage take quite a while even if they should have received it a good few days ago or should I get worried?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MHskier, Did you send them via post office signed for? I sent a renewal that way four weeks ago, and it was about five days after the post office web site showed it as having been delivered before the passport office web site showed them as having been received. And incidentally, nothing's changed since then, it still just shows as "we've received your documents".
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MHskier, As above it took 3 days after tracked delivery for them then to acknowledge receipt of our posted docs on their system, not sure of the exact timescales you are taking about but anything about 5 days after delivery then I would begin to wonder.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes another misinterpretation by UK government. Article in Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-uk-eu-denied-boarding-b1920380.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 15-09-21 12:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Receipt of old passport received now so hopefully a quickish turnaround ready for a business trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
Yes another misinterpretation by UK government. Article in Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-uk-eu-denied-boarding-b1920380.html

@HellsBells, what a massive cockup! rolling eyes Quote from article: "The government itself could face claims from travellers who paid hundreds of pounds for unnecessary rush renewals, because the online advice at gov.uk wrongly asserted that their passports were too old. In addition, firms that wrongly turned passengers away after following inaccurate official advice may seek recompense from the government (my italics). I would very much expect that the firms will do so, if they were following incorrect UK Government advice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of an update.

After documents were acknowledged by Passport office on 13th Sep, finally got notification today that one of the applications had been approved, at 7:11pm tonight! Must have been working overtime to get it done.

But I find it odd that they have not already sent back the other country’s passport held that they wanted to see. They should really send them back as soon as they sight them.

So just waiting for the passport to arrive and for the other application to be approved as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crikey, the other one’s just been approved, this one at 7:46pm. They must be really burning the midnight oil. Who said it was bad to outsource work to these low wage 3rd world countries with no employment rules!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just notified that both are now printed have been sent. They must have been working the weekend as well as late last Friday night!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Crikey, the other one’s just been approved, this one at 7:46pm. They must be really burning the midnight oil. Who said it was bad to outsource work to these low wage 3rd world countries with no employment rules!

Or to automated computer systems doing the routine stuff.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Or to automated computer systems doing the routine stuff.

Really!!! Thats another illusion shattered Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:

Good grief. Why on earth do you have to take a risk averse approach when you have absolutes? Bizarre!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New UK passports arrived yesterday (good) but no sign of the other nations passports we had to send in as part of the application. Bizarrely they send these back separately.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Finally all done, the timeline for renewing 2 child passports, if anyone is interested, was:
Application 1
Application submitted 6 September 2021
Identity details received 6 September 2021 (not required for App2 as was older than 12)
Documents received 13 September 2021 (but Royal Mail showed delivered on 8 Sep)
Application approved 1 October 2021
Passport printed and sent 4 October 2021
New Passport received - 7 October
Documents returned - 14 October

Application 2
Application submitted 5 September 2021
Documents received 13 September 2021 (but Royal Mail showed delivered on 8 Sep)
Application approved 1 October 2021
Passport printed and sent 4 October 2021
New Passport received - 7 October
Documents returned - 12 October

I imagine the clock really starts ticking when they get the documents they need, until then I bet they sit on them. So from then to receiving the passports about 3 weeks, not as fast as I expected for a renewal with no issues with the documents sent but not too bad.

But it was important to have got back the documents too as they included another countries current passport, and oddly they only arrived after the new passports. You would think they would sight and vouch them then immediately return them, and the note that was enclosed with the docs implied this should happen as it said "your passport application is being processed".
snow conditions
I’ve just renewed my passport, 9 days total from online submission (old passport posted to them on the same day) to receiving my blue replacement through the letter box. A great innovation is the new photo booths at many supermarkets etc, these check the photos meet biometric requirements and upload them. You just have to enter the reference number in your on line application
snow report
ster wrote:

But it was important to have got back the documents too as they included another countries current passport, and oddly they only arrived after the new passports. You would think they would sight and vouch them then immediately return them, and the note that was enclosed with the docs implied this should happen as it said "your passport application is being processed"

My eldest daughter also has a US passport (born there when we were living in NY) and when I filled in the uk online application a few weeks ago, it was only at the end that we realised we had to send that off. Given we’re going at Christmas, we decided we didn’t want to risk it and just let her travel on the US one (even though the turnarounds look really good at the moment as above, and I renewed three at at the start of summer in three weeks as well, I wasn’t sure how much extra scrutiny and time would be required with a foreign passport in the mix).

Good to see you weren’t held up, but think I’ve left it too late now for comfort - though it would probably be fine.

Any downsides with letting her travel on the US passport at the moment ? (we’re uk citizens in the uk, going to Italy with Inghams via Gatwick & Innsbruck, and she’s 18+ and double jabbed on the NHS).
latest report
@Pejoli, I would have thought there would be enough time to send your docs in and get the passport before Xmas, but yes I guess its a bit if a risk. If you can get into Italy unhindered with the US passport and get back into the UK using the current UK one (the risk would be has the current one been recorded as cancelled by the application for the new one, as of course with a completed application that is what happens, but even if it has or has expired they would have to let her back in as not having a current passport doesn't mean she’s not a UK citizen, albeit after a few calls) then probably go with that.
ski holidays
Not looking good at the moment!

“Passports: Delivery firm apologises for UK delays“

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59409509
snow report
Got MiniCF's passport renewal in person next weekend, on 7 day guaranteed! I bloody well hope they live up to their end of the deal. Puzzled
snow report
Wish I’d not seen that bbc article!! Did my sons renewal this week so will now be keeping everything crossed it’s back for 5th Feb! Online gov.uk did say 6 weeks is current estimate for a child. Eh oh!
latest report
ster wrote:
There is a site that collects crowd sourced renewal times

www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk

This tracker is looking at lot worse than in the summer but still only around 30 days on average.
snow report
As per my post elsewhere here is the timetable for my renewal - I didn't use any expedited service
16 Oct (Sat) Submitted online renewal
19 Oct (Tue) Sent off old passport
22 Oct (Fri) Old passport received by Passport Office and application approved emails
22 Oct (Fri) New passport on it's way email
25 Oct (Mon) New passport received

Of course things may have changed since then
latest report
Mine arrived 13Nov. after email said it was on its way on 8th (that was less than a week from posting old one 2nd class).
(Delivered from Durham office by FedEx van.)
I got one text from TNT on morning of delivery.

May depend where in the country you live….?
ski holidays
Does anyone know answer to this.

Passport expires oct 2022 but date of issue is apr 2022 .
Which means I don’t have 6 months from date of issue!

Do I need a new passport. And if I need it for Boxing Day (if we make it!) would you apply now or fast track?! Thank you!
snow conditions
Rednat5 wrote:

How can a passport only have 6-7 months of validity?
ski holidays
Sorry meant
Date of issue
Apr 2012
latest report
Rednat5 wrote:
Does anyone know answer to this.

Do I need a new passport. And if I need it for Boxing Day (if we make it!) would you apply now or fast track?! Thank you!

Check here...

https://check-passport-for-travel-to-europe.homeoffice.gov.uk

It's a calculator.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rednat5, the passport office currently (and at the time I submitted mine) recommends allow10 weeks, but my experience, and that of others who posted previously, is that it takes a matter of days to process online renewal.
However, the news this week is that TNT have been failing to deliver on time (though I got mine within the week just a couple of weeks ago).

Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, since the B word happened expiry date doesn’t mean what it says in Europe. (And I think most countries require at least six months to run?)

With a month to go it could be tight if the carrier can’t deliver - not sure what your options are if it doesn’t come back promptly….

Make sure you have your digital photo checked/approved.

…..but then maybe none of us are going anywhere this season….
snow conditions
Still waiting for our twins renewal passports that were applied for in early September. The provisional driving licences that I applied for them at the same time arrived in about a week, all done on line.
They are also entitled to NZ citizenship & passports & that whole process from beginning to end is expected to take about a month.
snow conditions
By way of update I applied for my son’s renewal passport using the online service and digital photo on 24th November and received the new one in the post yesterday. Pretty impressed with that turnaround time!
ski holidays
Yes I applied 23rd November and receives ours Monday. Was super pleased with time.
latest report
McKenzie wrote:
Still waiting for our twins renewal passports that were applied for in early September. The provisional driving licences that I applied for them at the same time arrived in about a week.

I ordered a vacuum cleaner from Amazon - came the next day!

That has the same relevance to the passport delivery, as the driving licence delivery does. wink

Completely different organisations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy