Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The winter 21/22 insurance thread

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone first hand knowledge of underwriters' interpretation of the "off piste with a guide" clause? In other words, has anyone had a claim denied because they were unlucky enough to sustain an injury when not actually on a piste, no matter how far away from one, (and unfortunate enough for the underwriters to be aware of that fact)?

The follow-up question is, if such a denial of claim has happened, has it ever been challenged?

In my time I have happily followed guides down some "interesting" routes that I would probably have not attempted had the guide not been there. Toofy Grin

At the ripe young age of 72 this thread is of great interest to me and I thank DotM for starting it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yoda wrote:
Has anyone first hand knowledge of underwriters' interpretation of the "off piste with a guide" clause? In other words, has anyone had a claim denied because they were unlucky enough to sustain an injury when not actually on a piste, no matter how far away from one, (and unfortunate enough for the underwriters to be aware of that fact)?

I've often wondered that in practice - if you are close enough to a piste to get a sled into does anyone really care to record the fact and if the situation is worse than that and you need a heli then is the guide/no guide bit actually recorded anywhere. My guess is that heli rescues probably create a record of co-ordinates that insurers may require and that some rescues you might be beyond pisteurs and into the realm of SAR which would be a big flag.

So on balance I'd rather be insured for where I am without ambiguity. Or if not able to crawl a long way even when unconscious.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tarrantd, Thanks for the suggestion - yes, I have got quotes on that basis but it's an important distinction between the two trips. Strangely, there wasn't much difference between the two quotes - I think the longer duration on the EU trip offset the higher premium rate on the Canadian trip. I would have thought any North American cover would be more under any circumstances, but there was little in it.

I thought the Amex option is worth looking at that @andylocity, has mentioned.

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I'm just pleased to see so many over 70's are out there - very re-assuring!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tarrantd wrote:
How about joining the AAC

Who he?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Leon wrote:
tarrantd wrote:
How about joining the AAC

Who he?

Austrian Alpine Club
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@adithorp,

Ta
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I emailed LV and got the following answers:

Question 1a: How does this work in Europe where they don't have in bounds off piste as they do in North America. What is a " a recognised ski resort" in this instance?
Answer: You can go off piste where this is allowed, there will most likely be areas where you are told don’t go to so we wouldn’t want you to go in those areas and you must stay within the boundaries of the recognised resort. You will need to check with the resort what their boundaries are.

Question 1b: If I go to France am I covered for any off piste without a guide?
Answer: Yes but still need to follow ski patrol guidelines

Question 2 - Is the wearing of ski helmets compulsory?
Answer: We don’t specify you have to wear helmets but if you are required to wear one then you must do and you must be abiding by the rules, some countries by law make you wear one, children and people of certain ages are required to wear one too.

Question 3 - who handles the claims on the policies?
Answer: All our claims are handled by a company called CEGA

So in regard of Q1 - it's still not totally convincing but trying to be pragmatic and practical, I think they would only quibble if you explicitly went against advice or into an area clearly signposted like a nature reserve.

Q2 I just asked because me and the wife currently don't wear one and we got caught out by Asda's having a compulsory helmet policy.

Q3 - this seems to me to be a critical aspect of Insurance policies. Reading the google and trustpilot reviews of CEGA they are either nearly all 1 star or 5 star (a bit more of the latter) which is really weird. Some are literally gushing in praise and others completely scathing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, Personal experience with LV / CEGA was absolutely brilliant. Summary of the claim is here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2885655&highlight=pelvis#2885655
Not mentioned there was the fact that they also sent a french speaking nurse with the recovery team to sort out all the discharge paperwork with the hospital. Can't praise CEGA highly enough, didn't quibble about anything.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:

Q2 I just asked because me and the wife currently don't wear one and we got caught out by Asda's having a compulsory helmet policy.

Thanks for the heads-up.
I had better remember my helmet & mask when I go for the week’s shopping tomorrow morning Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon wrote:
Layne wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up.
I had better remember my helmet & mask when I go for the week’s shopping tomorrow morning Toofy Grin

Things are always falling off those high shelves Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timc wrote:
@Layne, Personal experience with LV / CEGA was absolutely brilliant. Summary of the claim is here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2885655&highlight=pelvis#2885655
Not mentioned there was the fact that they also sent a french speaking nurse with the recovery team to sort out all the discharge paperwork with the hospital. Can't praise CEGA highly enough, didn't quibble about anything.

The thing is you expected the odd mixed review or even a really bad one occasionally but there are a few stinkers.

Then again, it's always a bit of a gamble from that point of view and others seem to have an even worse rep.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone got AAC to cover ski mountaineering in Europe (in our case largely skinning up, plus the occasional bit of abseiling down) plus LV= for annual travel cover (which excludes radonee etc)?

We've used MPI annual for many years and their repatriation service worked very smoothly (largely children with broken legs), but would like to start annual cover for a trip in a few weeks!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Initial hope had been that MPI would have had offerings available by mid July but that didn't happen so needing to have some sort of cover before mid July we were resigned to using Staysure, their annual policy for us at nearly 70 and multiple pre existing conditions was only £50 more than they wanted for a single trip and included up to 31 days winter sports ( no off piste but that didn't matter as we don't do off piste). 31 days winter cover wasn't enough but it would get us through the first couple of holidays and maybe things would have settled down by then. Just as we were about to buy Staysure increased their premium by about 25% to £400 which forced a major rethink.

Quick research including recommendations from "Which" magazine especially re covid cover and here led us to Barclays Travelpack, they took us on including all the pre existing conditions for their standard £12.50 per month. This solved my initial Summer holiday cover and will cover the first two of our three planned winter holidays. I've been looking at the PDS equivalent of Carre/Carte Neige, Snowrisk which has a season cost of €59 each which would give us annual cover with no limits on mountain activity for a total about £270, much cheaper than any previous insurance.

We are also in possession of the all singing, all dancing GHICs.

So now the questions

What am I missing? Seems too good to be true which usually means I'm missing something fundamental.
Does this combination work in the case a serious accident?
I've seen mention of the AAC in threads, how well does this work in France?

We've had some expensive claims over the years so know the need to have everything covered and in the normal course of events we would have renewed with MPI.

Any and all help appreciated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Barclays bank account has various travel packs which provide travel insurance up to age 79. I've just had to change my barclays bank travel pack because they retired the old product but this new one is 12.50 a month for worldwide cover for yourself, partner and children up to 23.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance/travel-pack/

ps. I have no connection with Barclays other than that I bank with them. I actually work for a different bank.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tarrantd wrote:
How about joining the AAC. The included insurance seems exceptional for a very small joining fee or have I misread the benefits? I see no mention of age restrictions. Can this be combined with a simple annual travel policy, that doesn't cover winter sports, for other losses and trips?

Showing my ignorance here .......... who are the AAC? (Army Air Corps the only AAC I am familiar with and I'm pretty sure they don't offer insurance!)

I tried googling it but there's nothing obvious jumping out at me (other than the Army Air Corps ......)
snow report
Austrian Alpine Club
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Austrian Alpine Club

Thanks!
ski holidays
I'm sure this has been done before but what do folks think about getting "basic" insurance with snowsports then getting the lift pass 3euro addition in resort to cover rescue? I've always been under the impression that this would cover rescue from "side" piste in resort.
snow report
@scottishandy, it would...in france, but would your insurance cover your treatment or possible repatriation? I believe carre...or is it carte...neige covers such things but you would have to check for yourself
snow conditions
^ Carre Neige covers rescue anywhere accessible from a lift on or off piste and transportation to a hospital. It also covers transportation back to your accommodation if stranded in a different valley or unable to walk/drive etc. GHIC/EHIC or Travel Insurance covers the hospital bills and prescriptions (with possible contribution from you). Carre Neige does not cover repatriation to the UK. Their definition of repatriation is returning you to where you started your day i.e. your holiday accommodation.
snow report
Bump for @pamski
ski holidays
AFAIK the big issue with AAC is they are set up for europeans often within own country.

So while they cover rescue, the medical cover is very low for the annual insurance. I expect if you were off piste and rescued under AAC cover you could find that you still aren't covered for anything on normal travel insurance (as the injury happened doing something that isn't insured at all). However AAC have a price list for extended single trip cover (https://www.knox.co.at/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Alpenverein-Premium-Single-Trip-Cover.pdf) which probably is enough (extra) insurance.

I expect given I want to do ski touring that I either continue my SCGB cover (n.b. I know a few people don't like them and argue they are expensive, but that mainly seems to be because they push people onto insurance that is massive overkill for most members...) or go with BMC (as most other providers that cover what I potentially need currently seem to be changing underwriters so aren't selling new policies...) who are more expensive (though also cover more activities) or use AAC membership + extended cover + general (cheap) travel insurance with skiing for where I don't need the AAC cover.
ski holidays
+1 for LV=, like my namesake (TimC), I have also claimed with them on the mountain. My wife popper ACL getting off the first chairlift up, on the first day, at half term. The single most expensive holiday I have posted for and she literally skied about 1 metre.

LV= we’re excellent though.
snow conditions
It looks as though LV are gaining ground as snowHeads' preferred choice.
ski holidays
@Hurtle,
Quote:

FWIW, we had family cover with LV for several years. Not the cheapest, more a mid range price. Cover always seemed more than adequate, for our predominantly piste, with occasional off piste skiing. Crucially, when we made a claim, it was dealt with fairly, paid promptly and did not result in a big hike in premium in subsequent years.

I've insured myself with LV since, with declared pre-existing conditions and still find the premium reasonable for up to 30 days skiing per season. They've also got high ratings in Which? surveys for several years. LV Premier just makes the highest 10% category of over 250 policies reviewed in the Which? 2021 survey.

Nevertheless, worth scrutinising all the small print, to ensure it meets individual needs.
snow report
I haven't had travel insurance with LV, but have used them for both car and house. Crucially, I've claimed on both without incident
snow conditions
On the subject of LV=, if you have you car and house insurance with them, it might be worth joining up to CSMA. You get a discount across the board, so it the saving is more than the cost of membership it could be worth doing.
snow conditions
There is a limit of 30 days with LV I think. But very happy to be corrected in that as if hasn’t looked as if possible to extend that limit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, also if you join CSMA (now Boundless) you get free legal cover for motor insurance which means you can drop it off any other policy. That'll save £20 or so too.

LV has always been my 'go-to' for house, travel and car, provided they are within a reasonable amount of equivalent other mainstream providers (eg Direct Line, More Than etc.). Never had an issue with claims. I remember one claim where we had to cancel a holiday the day before departure. I sent them the claim paperwork on the Monday and rang them on the Thursday to check they had received everything. I was amazed to be told not only had they received it, they had processed the claim and I should have payment within the next few days. After that experience, I tended to stick with them.
ski holidays
@Pamski, it's worth checking their definition of wintersports days. Barclays travelpack (Aviva) is 31 days participating in wintersports which just about covers us with a couple days missed for rest and/or weather. Other companies count the total holiday days (including travel days) as wintersports days. Still may not be long enough for you but may help others.
snow conditions
@Timc, we seem to have got rather a lot of ski days booked as well as the days we take to and fro that have to be added into total travel. Making up for curtailed 2020 and 2021 like a lot of people no doubt.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:

Indeed even after putting in my pre-existing medical problems and on going probs the quote is reasonable. Just added Mrs BS and its still a good price.

Except

The cover is provided on the understanding that you don’t take part in more than 31 days of winter sports activities during the year.

As long as that is interpreted as days on piste and not days in resort may be ok...

@admin c,mon get the snowheads skiclub2.0 insurance sorted Toofy Grin

NB. snowHeads insurance IS NOT A REAL THING!

snow report
For me a combination of AAC and the holiday insurance I get with my bank account seems to cover it. Plenty of off piste at 62 etc.
snow report
@boredsurfin, @Timc, @Pamski, "taking part" sounds like days on skis to me.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:

The cover is provided on the understanding that you don’t take part in more than 31 days of winter sports activities during the year.

As long as that is interpreted as days on piste and not days in resort may be ok...

Presumably you get 31 days taking part and then additional days which just happen to you....there must be some legal holes there...no I wasn't taking part in winter sports I was just travelling to restaurant X by a convenient mode?
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Its an interesting one, my wife has claimed twice under snow sports cover whilst not skiing! Once in a carpark (skied into by child - broken Wrist) once standing outside a bar - taken out by a boarder on the pavement!
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, I had to claim for about $800 worth of stitches in my nose. Cause? a slight slip in car park while carrying new skis with sharp edges. Beware "the local" carrying position provides a nice pivot to become "the Freddie Krueger".
latest report
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/05/insurers-direct-line-churchill-resume-covid-cover-cancelled-trips
Quote:
The insurers Direct Line and Churchill have resumed offering cancellation cover to travel customers forced to cancel a holiday due to Covid-19.

As the pandemic gathered pace in March 2020, the travel insurers said they would no longer cover holidaymakers who were forced to cancel their trip if they contracted the virus, or the travel rules changed as a result of Covid.

On Tuesday, UK Insurance, the owner of the Direct Line and Churchill brands, reversed its decision and announced its policies would offer extensive Covid-related cancellation cover.

The move, which is an example of business returning to something approaching normal in the travel sector, is likely to be followed by the other big insurers.

Direct Line said policyholders would be able to claim cancellation losses if instructed to quarantine or self-isolate, including in cases where an individual is contacted by NHS test and trace but has not been diagnosed with Covid.

They will also be able to claim if a Covid-related government lockdown prevents them from travelling. Passengers will also be eligible to claim if the Foreign Office (FCDO) changes it advice on travel after they booked either the trip or bought the travel policy. The changes also affect worldwide family travel insurance offered through the Nationwide building society’s FlexPlus account, as Direct Line underwrites this cover.
snow conditions
@Layne, interesting as haven’t been notified by Nationwide of change to Flexplus’ insurance cover.
latest report
ster wrote:
interesting as haven’t been notified by Nationwide of change to Flexplus’ insurance cover.

Would you recommend the Flexplus insurance? I've had the Flex insurance the last few years, but they've informed me that they're discontinuing it after 31st Dec. Weighing up whether to open a Flexplus account and pay the monthly in order to get the insurance, given that it includes European breakdown.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy