Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The winter 21/22 insurance thread

Poster: A snowHead
@AB Ski, that's interesting. a few years ago I took the travel time issue up with the owner, Russell, and he confirmed travel days did not count. they've changed it then.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah I mistakenly saw the 31/90 days bit
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We always use annual BMC Alpine and ski. We are 64 and 67. No limits on off piste and also gives excellent cover for my other travel and activities including sea kayaking and rock climbing etc. They handled matters excellently when I had an accident ice climbing in the alps with helicopter rescue. BMC may not be the cheapest but I don’t buy insurance on price.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@On the rocks, not sure if there is any change in the BMC insurance, and you mention "no limits on off piste", but. When me and my chums were getting a bit of post Brexit insurance panic before what we thought was going to be last season, we looked at the BMC. At that stage there was a clause excluding "extreme skiing" but with no definition of what that meant.

We asked for a definition and there was none. However, a gentleman at the BMC did say that if we sent examples of our intended targets, they could approach the insurers for clarification. Soon after the season evaporated so we gave up. Worth a check?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The BMC include some definitions now. From https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/
Quote:

What's Not Covered
Climbing in remote or inaccessible regions
Exploratory expeditions and new routes on unclimbed peaks
High-altitude technical climbing over 6,500m, especially in the Greater Ranges (e.g. Himalaya, Tien Shan, Karakoram, Andes)
Competitive winter sports
Extreme skiing (unless agreed in writing), ski-jumping, paraskiing and kite-skiing
Freestyle (eg: aerials, big air, halfpipe, ski-cross and slopestyle)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pieman666, as I was highlighting, there is a bit of a question mark over "extreme skiing". I suppose you need to have a clear idea, in advance, of what is the grizzliest aspiration you might have (and you need to have some idea of that in advance), and then seek clarification.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi All, has anyone found reasonably priced cover that will cover me for hitting the snowpark? I only hit the S/M kickers but I just got quoted a £350 add-on for a policy for this which seems excessive. Are there any policies out there that cover it as standard? Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Henwc wrote:
Hi All, has anyone found reasonably priced cover that will cover me for hitting the snowpark? I only hit the S/M kickers but I just got quoted a £350 add-on for a policy for this which seems excessive. Are there any policies out there that cover it as standard? Thanks

I think Coverwise do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Henwc, it always amuses me that my BMC insurance would cover me to climb Eiger North Face in winter ( not that I want to) but I would have to pay a premium for snowboarding (not that I want to)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Henwc wrote:

I think Coverwise do.
Thanks, I just checked Coverwise and ski parks is on the covered list, I might call them to make sure it means hitting kickers and rails in marked parks, but if it does then I might be ok, snocard counts it as extreme adventure which is pretty pricy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the rocks wrote:
@Henwc, it always amuses me that my BMC insurance would cover me to climb Eiger North Face in winter ( not that I want to) but I would have to pay a premium for snowboarding (not that I want to)
I have hit the same issue with freestyle counting as a level 3 activity where off-piste without a guide is only a level 1
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugarmoma666, LV specifically include 'snowpark' as covered in their Winter Sports: You are covered to ski and snowboard
off piste and at a snow park provided you are within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines.

However, their 'off piste' weasel words appear to exclude cover outside the resort boundary, (so would not be covered with a guide....) [edit - noted this has been posted before!)
Subsequently noted - no cover for 'touring' or 'randonnee'.... presumably irrespective of whether in/out of bounds.

SCGB Premier - conditions
Conventional skiing / snowboarding only. It is not a condition of cover that you ski or board with a guide, however, you must follow
the International Ski Federation code or the resort regulations and we recommend that you do not venture into back country areas
without taking local advice and appropriate rescue equipment;
This applies to both 'skiing-backcountry' and 'skiing-touring' - i.e. both types of skiing are specified as 'covered' (along with a load of other sports)

SCGB is £315 for europe, 15% member discount.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the help, I went for LV in the end, my son and I hit park kickers almost every day on the mountain so the park cover as standard is worth it and the wording is very clear on that. If I do go outside the ski area boundaries it's likely to be pre planned before the holiday and I can get specific cover for that. The LV premier policy also covers hiking up to 6000m and surfing which will be useful for various summer trips.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve got an annual BMC for Europe only which covers my skiing and mountaineering activities but I need cover for 1 Canadian trip (just skiing) later in the season as well.
BMC offered me an add on for a single trip of 14 days but the price was extortionate IMO (£330) Shocked Shocked It would be cheaper either doing a single trip policy with someone else for Canada or an annual worldwide policy with someone else which would cover the Canadian skiing at a lower price than £330.

What happens if you have more than one annual insurance policy, can you claim on both of them because if I do a second annual policy there will be some duplication of cover on some things, for example lost luggage in Europe that would be covered on both policies. But can you claim on both? I don’t think you can.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You will need to inform both companies that two policies exist
They will decide between how to divi any liability to pay your claim
If someone tried to claim on both policies that is a fraud, not recommended unless prison food is a favourite!!
ski holidays
@snowornever, it would not make sense in my mind to claim on both because you’d be getting paid out twice on the same thing which would be dishonest. So that’s ok. No prison for me.

I think my best option is to do a single trip policy just for the Canadian holiday as anyone has to be cheaper than £330 and then only the single trip policy would be valid for that trip as the annual European BMC one wouldn’t cover it anyway being outside of Europe.

Anyone got any recommendations for a reasonably priced single trip to Canada? Only skiing within the resort boundary, without a guide, some very tame snow park no going upside down or anything Laughing
latest report
Good to hear you prefer to avoid prison food!
As for claims I seem to recall a question on claim form that required a statement that “claim not covered by another policy”
Insurances companies look to share any payout when risks covered by multiple insurers!
snow report
snowornever wrote:
Good to hear you prefer to avoid prison food!
As for claims I seem to recall a question on claim form that required a statement that “claim not covered by another policy”
Insurances companies look to share any payout when risks covered by multiple insurers!

Yes you’re probably right. It would make sense to ask if the person has any other cover so they don’t have to pay out for all of it.
Thankfully I’ve never had to make a claim so far.
ski holidays
I am seriously considering next year moving from SCGB to AAC, however I will note for anyone thinking about this:

AAC cover is ONLY medical, third party, rescue and repatriation. They do clearly document that it is rescue and repatriation, not travel insurance. (But tbh I can probably self insure for most travel insurance risks it doesn't cover for me, e.g. theft, lost luggage, illness preventing trip, given what various insurers want to charge to cover me for off piste/ski touring, especially if you start trying to figure out what the difference is between ski touring and ski mountaineering (doesn't seem to ever be defined... Except in my work insurance offer (who cover off piste skiing EXCEPT if you need ropes or crampons, which gives a nice clean split), e.g. with SCGB insurance adding ski mountaineering costs me (30's, no health issues) enough to cover AAC membership, with a remainder greater than (excluding instruction) the PSB!

I would also suggest the medical cover isn't particularly high - However they also sell single trip extensions for members relatively cheaply at fixed prices (various lengths appear to be offered, from 5 days to 4 months!) which drastically increases medical cover (500k instead of 10k (euros)). While this means slightly more faf than annual insurance, for covering serious off piste skiing/mountain sports it looks like it is easily the cheapest decent option (at least within the alps). While I have seen debates of this vs BMC and people having cases where AAC cover has gone 'badly', it was for serious, relatively remote climbing trips where it is very clear what the extra several £100 is paying for with the BMC...
ski holidays
I may have missed this earlier in the thread - but are there any insurers out there that are offering some form of cover due to cancellation as a result of lockdowns?
latest report
Any recommendations for policy's? I want worldwide inc america/mexico and wintersports.

As most dont cover quarantine costs should you fly back to UK and realise you have to quarantine due to rule change / the other way round, quarantine on arrival, I doubt many would cover this, but seems a big cost id have to front?
ski holidays
barracuda wrote:
I may have missed this earlier in the thread - but are there any insurers out there that are offering some form of cover due to cancellation as a result of lockdowns?

I don't believe so.

What seems to be standard is to cover you and your party if one of you has Covid or have to quarantine but not cover you when you can not travel because the FCDO advises against it - which I assume they would if the country of travel was in lockdown.
snow conditions
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/documents/current-accounts/insurances/flexplus/p3349-flexplus-worldwide-family-travel-insurance-policy.pdf?rev=b296b2625f4243c9a41987892dd7763b

Nationwide mentions cancellation due to FCO on page 19
ski holidays
barracuda wrote:

Barclays Bank Travel Pack
Quote from Barclays FAQ's "You’re covered to cancel within 31 days before departure, as long as FCDO advice against travel is in place. However, you’re not covered if this advice was in place when you booked your trip or bought your cover (whichever is later)."
ski holidays
@Timc, thanks will check it out later!
ski holidays
Hi, apologies if this has already been asked -

If a passenger were to travel to a French ski resort via Geneva airport, for travel insurance purposes, would you need to state both France and Switzerland or just France - presumably the former?

I cannot find a clear answer online Puzzled
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@Hurtle,
Quote:

It looks as though LV are gaining ground as snowHeads' preferred choice.

FWIW, we had family cover with LV for several years. Not the cheapest, more a mid range price. Cover always seemed more than adequate, for our predominantly piste, with occasional off piste skiing. Crucially, when we made a claim, it was dealt with fairly, paid promptly and did not result in a big hike in premium in subsequent years.

I've insured myself with LV since, with declared pre-existing conditions and still find the premium reasonable for up to 30 days skiing per season. They've also got high ratings in Which? surveys for several years. LV Premier just makes the highest 10% category of over 250 policies reviewed in the Which? 2021 survey.

Nevertheless, worth scrutinising all the small print, to ensure it meets individual needs.

Thanks for this - and everyone else commenting about LV=. Not used them before but booked their worldwide coverage for my plans this year, appreciate all the info shared about them!
snow conditions
@charlie1314, i suspect both. If you fall down the plane steps at GVA and haven't said you are visiting Switzerland you might struggle
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am I correct that the AAC insurance only covers the first 8 weeks of a trip? If so, are there options to extend this period? Alternatively, would a week’s return to the UK reset the clock?

Any help appreciated.
snow report
@Austrian Seagull Yes, it is my understanding that AAC membership insurance covers up to the first 8 weeks of any trip. I believe that returning to the UK should reset the clock. You can buy additional single trip cover if you are a member. I was quoted an additional €150, for a couple (65 & 61), for 60 days in France. The single trip cover provides €500K medical cover, rather than €10k with membership. The AAC UK website does not provide a link to the additional cover quote page but you can find it here: https://secure2.europaeische.at/contract?languageCode=DE&agencyNumber=501873&resourceKey=V1001918201&systemChannelCode=PLK&systemEntryPoint=oeav_prs&productCode=OEAVRS
The cover details are: https://www.knox.co.at/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Alpenverein-Premium-Single-Trip-Cover.pdf
AAC membership now runs from 1 Jan to 31 Dec, so you will have to pay 2 years membership if you are planning to travel before 31 Dec 2021 (£57 single, £101 couple pa)
I ended up going with SCGB Platinum Membership with a 5 month’s unlimited extension (allowing return trips to the UK) for £558, as we were intending to renew our SCGB membership anyhow; wanted off piste cover without a guide; didn't think €10k medical cover was sufficient; have planned two extended trips and thought that it would be easier to deal with a UK office in the event of a claim.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 8-12-21 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mike S, Many thanks Mike. That’s really appreciated.
latest report
Just received my renewal quote from Multitrip, due mid Jan.

I renewed with them last year, as they offered the same cover as the year before for only a small increase. As the previous policy was pre-pandemic, and therefore no exclusions, decided to stay. They obviously thought very few would travel, making if profitable.

The renewal is a 60% increase in price, and now has the following clauses:

"Important Cover Notice: This policy will NOT cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus unless the claim arises under Section A: because You or a Close Relative or Travelling Companion are medically diagnosed with Coronavirus or personally instructed to isolate by an NHS service or medical professional; or Section B: because You need medical treatment for Coronavirus while abroad. No other cover applies for a medical pandemic or epidemic including Coronavirus."

So, no cover in the event of cancellation for other reasons, including any Govt. travel restrictions.
Hardly worth taking out the policy.

Anybody else experiencing similar?

tbh, the only confirmed ski trip is the Birthday double, for which I would be unlikely to claim if cancelled, but I would like an annual policy that would cover any other planned holidays, home or abroad.

Without looking back through the entire thread, what is the general consensus for a reasonably priced policy with decent cancellation cover?
snow conditions
Just found this additional exclusion.

8 Loss, theft of or damage of Valuables and Baggage left Unattended at
any time or broken whilst in use

So, would this exclude a claim for valuables stolen from your room whilst you were out?
It would certainly seem to exclude any loss or damage to ski gear in the event of an accident, or them being stolen from outside a restaurant etc.

Bit pointless taking out winter cover with these.
snow report
@brianatab, this is LV's cover

https://www.lv.com/travel-insurance/coronavirus/coronavirus-update
latest report
-chris- wrote:
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/documents/current-accounts/insurances/flexplus/p3349-flexplus-worldwide-family-travel-insurance-policy.pdf?rev=b296b2625f4243c9a41987892dd7763b

Nationwide mentions cancellation due to FCO on page 19

Previously they covered it, but blocked people creating new accounts to get the cover during covid (because of the massive risk)

More recently, https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/documents/current-accounts/insurances/flexplus/p3937-summary-of-changes-after-jan-21.pdf?rev=f184b470ca314ad98feb5287f547d7b3 applies.

Blunt reality; No insurer will cover this for the next decade+. They used to cover it because the assumption was that likely cases would be small areas or relatively obscure countries, not basically the entire planet. A 10-20% chance of all holidays being cancelled because of covid (still seems plausible) means charging at least 10-20% of holiday costs before any profit.

So £80/head/week minimum (plausibly closer to £160). Before you add expensive activities like skiing to the mix... And that is only for covering cancellation risk;
ski holidays
charlie1314 wrote:
Hi, apologies if this has already been asked -

If a passenger were to travel to a French ski resort via Geneva airport, for travel insurance purposes, would you need to state both France and Switzerland or just France - presumably the former?

I cannot find a clear answer online Puzzled

It's insurance, there are no clear or straight forward answers Smile
snow report
I Compared LV and MPI, MPI worked out £7 cheaper for annual multi-trip Euro only policy, so really there isn't much in it.
ski holidays
Are MPI doing insurance again? @Bob,
ski holidays
yep, just purchased three policies
ski holidays
Good to hear they were always highly recommended
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy