Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chanonix reviews

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
i am new to this forum just hoping someone can give any advice on Chamonix.
we have booked for February 4 of us all good snowboarders we have been different parts of France but never here.
wanted to know what lift pass as the ultimate one looks good can you snowboard to the other mountains or do you have to catch public transport first.
we are staying in mount-blanc any advice would be great.
Thanks
Darren Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boothy5473, Welcome

I guess your accommodation is advertised as being in "Chamonix Mont-Blanc" but in reality that could be anywhere in the valley. Can you be any more specific?

The Chamonix valley areas are largely unlinked, so you'll need to take a bus between (starting at the beginning of the valley): Les Houches, Brevent/Flegere (linked), Grands Montets (a.k.a. Argentiere) and Le Tour.

The unlimited pass includes Les Houches and the Aiguille du Midi which is great for sightseeing if you've never been before, and also accesses the Vallee Blanche and a load of other reasonably hardcore off piste. The standard pass excludes Les Houches and Aiguille du Midi, but includes Brevent/Flegere, Grands Montets and Le Tour.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi thanks for quick reply we are staying at Résidence Grand Roc - Bruyères 020
Chemin Sous La Grand, Argentière, 74400 Chamonix-Mont-Blancva
we have been to tignes & val dlsere a few times seems good of piste at Chamonix seems the unlimited pass is best so can explore alot more
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi thanks for quick reply we are staying at Résidence Grand Roc - Bruyères 020
Chemin Sous La Grand, Argentière, 74400 Chamonix-Mont-Blancva
we have been to tignes & val dlsere a few times seems good of piste at Chamonix seems the unlimited pass is best so can explore alot more
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boothy5473, you are in many ways in a pretty good location, walking distance to the Grands Montets lifts. In a nice week, you arguably don't need to fo anywhere else.

Lift pass prices don't really change with time (offers, earlybirds, etc. notwithstanding) so you could wait and see the forecast and anyway, "Le Pass" covers most of what you'll want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks that sounds really good thanks for your help
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boothy5473, yep, as UANN says, you're in Argentiere about 200m from the main lift. The train station is 400m from your apartment, the main bus station is 100m, it's a great location. In early Feb there's a reasonably chance you'll be able to ski back to within a few metres of your front door, depending on how much the car park has been gritted and ploughed.

Top tip: if you want to ski Le Tour, don't get the ski bus, instead get the train to Vallorcine, where you can walk 2mins from the station to the "back" lift into the Le Tour area. No queues, nicer lift, and the train is about a million times more pleasant than the bus, tho' it is only hourly.

The main reason to go unlimited would be if you wanted to go up the Aiguille du midi for the views/to ski the vallee blanche. From Argentiere, Les Houches (the other place that's on Unlimited and not "le pass") is a good 30mins, and more if it's bad weather (the main reason people go to Les Houches). Personally, I'd save the money and instead spend it on splitboard rental and a day with a guide, so you can ski the back of the Grands Montets which is currently inaccessible by lift since the top cable car burnt down.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks guys really good information dont mind catching train in Austria the train service was amazing and free with lift pass.
and the splitboard sounds good with guide what lift pass would you recommend as your both saying wouldn't need unlimited.
Thanks again for all your information is nightlife pretty good ???
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boothy5473, only 2 options : le pass or unlimited. So, I’d probs just go with le pass. Have not checked marginal difference however if you wanted a VB excursion.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boothy5473, nightlife in Argentiere will depend on what reopens post-COVID; some bars have been shut for >1yr now. Pre-COVID, there were a couple (Office and Savoy) that had live music some nights, and the Fubar for a rodeo bull, pool table etc. For a bigger night, 7pm train down to Chamonix, and either the night bus back about midnight, or a £40 taxi. Or a 2 hour walk as a mate of mine once discovered.

I'd get a Le Pass. 2 yrs ago you could upgrade it during the week by paying the difference if you realised you needed the unlimited.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, I think (!) the Office has closed. Don't take my word for it though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys i think the Le pass will be fine really good information from you all
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, yep, as of a few weeks ago it was still advertising the March 2020 rugby on the board outside.... I was hoping they'd just mothballed it till things improve, but maybe not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, I couldn’t recall if I was thinking of the same place but when I past in spring there were both “definitively closed” and “lease for sale” signs on the door.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always thought the Office was a bit of a honeypot business. But I guess 18 months without any Anglo/ Scandi clientele will hit hard.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, and it looks as though they'd tried to turn it into a trendy cafe ... which seems unlikely to work, to me ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy