Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School ski trips - are they happening 2021/22??

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if any snowheads have secondary school age kids who are going on a school ski trip this coming winter? Reason I ask is that we've booked Pila for Feb half term and have read that it's quite a popular resort for British schools to go to. No worries either way, just curious if schools have been brave enough to schedule a trip with all the uncertainty with travel etc!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@surferrosa, yes, our kids' school trip is planned to happen in December. However, it was touch and go whether it would be approved, so my guess is about 50% of trips won't happen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wouldn’t expect there to be many councils/local authorities that will allow school trips abroad until winter 21/22. I wouldn’t have thought many teachers would want to take on that responsibility either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our school usually runs a ski trip in Feb half term and I doubt it will happen as it would normally need to be booked over a year in advance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@UrsulaJ, our youngest, is booked on a school trip to Serre Chevalier over New Year, having had last year's school ski trip cancelled.

I'd give it a 50:50 chance of going ahead.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a teacher who had a trip planned in France for December 2021. 40+ kids signed up, DfE guidance changed to allow overseas trips, but in the end, I've rebooked for 2022, because of the uncertainty.
There are two governments who might change requirements at short notice if they get spooked by any of the data, uncertainty over how under 18s might be treated as France are vaccinating over 12s but we aren't doing the same under 16 (yet). But mostly, the huge potential problem of pre-departure testing before returning to the UK; not just the hassle of getting dozens of teenagers tested (pretty much a whole day job), but the significant consequences of having one of them test positive the day before returning....
I'm going as a family instead at the same time, but the logistics and hassle for a family pales into insignificance compared to a school trip of 40-45.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can’t see it happening if teens don’t get vaxxed- and even if they do these trips are long in the planning. I’d say 22-23 for school trips is more likely for the vast majority
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My children’s school have arranged one through Halsbury ski for Easter 2022. I’m expecting it to happen - that will probably need the testing regime to settle down a bit though. Race camps are happening this summer - it takes organisation by the both the camp organisers and the parents and the camp organisers are equipped to deal with positive cases on the camps etc. I see school trips working the same way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Things are looking a lot more promising than they were 6 months ago. Covid isn't going away, but vaccines are getting us to a place where we might just about be able to manage it without major behavioural changes (at least in rich countries). The UK government are less worried about the NHS being overwhelmed, and are looking back towards the economic impact of the pandemic. They took a gamble by relaxing restrictions as much as they have done, and so far they seem to have got away with it.

The big unknown is what cases will do once schools reopen and the weather gets colder. The models predict cases rising until about now, and then falling over the autumn. The rise hasn't been as steep as predicted, but let's hope they are more accurate with the falls. https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1427652879884632064

If cases fall then that gives the government freedom to further relax restrictions, which could include adding more countries to the green list, or relaxing the amber list rules (most relevant here would be to treat under 16s as if they were fully vaccinated). There's also a good chance vaccination will be extended to 12 to 15 year olds.

If cases increase beyond 70k to 100k per day then restrictions will once again become a highly political item, and the rules will depend on which side of the Conservative party win the argument.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Schools are definitely booking trips - two of my children, in different schools, are keen - whether they run or not is entirely different and unknowable. Puzzled I would imagine as a minimum there will be extra costs for parents for PCR testing etc rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My daughter’s hopefully going on the school ski trip in Feb ‘22 (rescheduled from Mar 20). But I think in general terms, if the government are going to be cautious and only schedule one jab for 16-17 year olds as they are saying at the moment (and presumably follow same pattern if they extend down to 12-15), then they won’t qualify for pass sanitaire/green pass etc. Maybe not such a problem on a school trip, but still a real pain for any family holidays if they can’t go inside anywhere without having been tested all the time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cancelled the one I organised for March 2020 to Austria .... Obviously. Have considered but eventually firmly shelved 2022. Bombarded with promotions but just don't have the confidence all the work would not be for nothing again.

I'll launch one for 2023.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well look out for my two secondary school aged kids who are booked on the school ski trip to Pila in February 2022 half term.

It wasn’t a ‘rollover’ it is a new trip where places were booked and confirmed in April this year. Demand was so high the places went in 1 day and they put on extra spaces which went instantly too. I hope it goes ahead for them. The 16 YO will be jabbed but the younger one won’t unless rules change for 12-15 YOs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't be encouraging unvaccinated children to travel having just been in Greece. One family in the hotel had their children (15 and 17) confiscated at the beginning of the trip and returned to them a fortnight later; the 15 year old tested positive so got 10 days in the slammer, the 17 year old was deemed a close and unvaccinated contact and got two weeks solitary. Solitary confinement in hotel paid for by Greek Government - but their own hotel room left unused.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@James the Last, If true, that is horrendous. Shocked
latest report
Our school has just written out to say that they have postponed the trip planned over this coming New Year, pushing it back to April 2023. With a 10% price hike, to boot.

Ho hum. All the more reason to consider seriously this season's SFab with those J teenagers who won't be sitting exams in the summer.
snow conditions
Our school trip to Canada in April 2022 is still going ahead at the moment but Canadian restrictions need to change before then as I don't think unvaccinated children can enter Canada for a holiday yet ( I may be reading the restrictions wrong)
snow report
I'm about to pull the plug on mine which was due to go in December. Even if the French would allow the students (14-17) to use their lifts without double vaccination, there is still all the hassle of getting the necessary tests to enter France, and PLFs done for 40+ people, and the risk of either Government doing a U turn if they are spooked by numbers going the wrong way. And then they would still not be allowed in shops, cafes etc whilst there. The logistics are exponentially more complicated when you go from a family of 4 to a school trip of 45.
I might look to run it at Easter instead if the operator still has capacity...our Government might have allowed them the chance of double vaccination by then. More likely Dec 2022 or Easter 2023.
snow conditions
Well I’m pleased to report my kids are all packed and ready for the school ski trip tomorrow. Got to be at the school for 7am!

As far as I’m aware 42 of the original 48 are going, the 6 who aren’t able is because they haven’t been double jabbed or single jab with covid recovery.

They’re all very excited and I’m pleased the school didn’t cancel the trip. Most of the children are first timers and I love to see them experiencing something new, it was a school ski trip that got me hooked at 11 years old!
snow report
@Bianchigray, ENJOY!
snow conditions
@Bianchigray, really hope they love it and have a great time. Do you know if there are plans in case a child tests positive while out there? That seems to be the biggest challenge.
snow conditions
We’ve been told they’ll isolate and stay in Italy with a member of staff until they can travel back. All covered on the insurance policy.

However on the basis that they’ve all just done their LFTs to get into Italy there’s no need for them to test again, but I’m sure if someone is unwell they would test them.
latest report
Wow. Glad someone got that sorted Smile
My daughter raves about her only school trip, the first with friends and not boring family; it was 2 weeks before Covid hit and for Years 9-11 only, so now leaving Year 11 she won’t be eligible for another! Massive shame as she doesn’t get friends or 30 hours of lessons for that price anywhere else!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy