Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Filters for digital cameras

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
Out of curiosity what processing software do most people use. I use Gimp 2, but what are the other popular packages?

Adobe Camera RAW
Photoshop CS6
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
Out of curiosity what processing software do most people use. I use Gimp 2, but what are the other popular packages?

I found Gimp to be user unfriendly, so went back to Photoshop. I subscribe to Photoshop and Lightroom CC.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
I almost never shoot in raw as I’m the “holiday snaps” category of photographer rather than someone who is looking to perfect individual images with detailed tweaks. For me cataloguing the images is more important that post-processing them, so I use Apple’s “Photos” app which does that task well enough. That’s free and includes some basic processing features, but I also use Luminar AI as a plug-in with Photos if I want a bit more control over a particular element of a photo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can try most things for free. Personally I use:
  • Adobe's free DNG convertor.
    I've digital cameras from Canon's first D30 DSLR to the latest Sony, all shot raw, and I don't want to worry about obsolete proprietary formats, so I convert it all to DNG with this. It uploads direct from camera storage so does the import and convert step in one shot.
  • Adobe Lightroom.
    I have a copy of LR5 (which they may now call "Lightroom Classic" I didn't need to pay for and which I can legally run on desktop and portable without network connexions etc. It's not the latest and greatest so won't support newer cameras stand-alone, but as per the above, I'm only feeding it DNG (plus a few jpegs etc from phones) so that's irrelevant.
I have a full copy of PS, whatever the latest stand-alone version is, but I don't use it for photography as Lightroom's more task-oriented and non-destructive.
I expect DarkTable will eclipse LR sooner or later. I've not tried it recently but would be interested if anyone's made that switch.

I think tactics for shooting are more important than cameras or lenses or software though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whilst on the subject of software, I can highly recommend Nik Silver Efex Pro for black and white photography. It’s one of a collection of 8 bits of software (The Nik Collection) that are all Photoshop plug ins. I’ve tried the other programmes; which are ok, but it’s worth the money just for Silver Efex.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I shoot RAW and process in LR5 (didn't bother upgrading to the fancy cloud suite)
Very, very rarely use Gimp to fix what LR can't - prefer the LR's reproducibility and immutability approach - probably something to do with being a programmer Skullie
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Luminar 4.
But boy can you over do it...

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well got the filter kit in and looks like it will help with killing glare on water photos, went with a magnetic ring attachment and with it off makes little difference to camera size. will give it a test run skiing this coming season as should be easy to take along and can bin easy enough... even have a neck strap set up so hopefully won't miss any shots fumbling for the camera.

thanks for all the comments. will brush up on editing the better photos but sounds like no magic filters exist for making the perfect ski shot Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy