Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Ski like Stockli Laser SX

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, for the last few years, i've rented Stockli Laser SX's when away and far prefer them to anything else i've used.
In some resorts they seem hard to get and I know they won't be available forever. I'm wondering if anyone knows 1 or 2 other ski's that would be very similar?

The wrong pair of ski's can make a big difference, at least in my head they can so would like to know good equivelents
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stöcklis are reputed to be a bit stiffer than many things at the high end but Ithink the SXs arebroadly similar to ayy other brands "SC" model
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Stocklis are considered by many, to be top of the heap - and are priced accordingly - so it's a big ask to get something as good.

However, there are some very good skis from the likes of Kastle, Head, Dynastar and Rossignol.

I haven't seen this year's models - but 19/20 season's models were:

Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti
Head Worldcup Rebel i.Race
Rossignol Elite LT ti R22 plate
Kastle MX67
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
The Stocklis are considered by many, to be top of the heap - and are priced accordingly - so it's a big ask to get something as good.

Exactly this. Once you ski a Stockli, it’s difficult to go back to a mass market ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Exactly this. Once you ski a Stockli, it’s difficult to go back to a mass market ski.

+1

I have yet to find a ski that suits me better, or I like more for any other reason, than my SR95.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kästle MX range has a similarly plush feel to Stockli’s. There is also the RX but it’s stiff.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, off to Ischgl in Feb and they seem to be tough to get there for whatever reason.
I’ll just wait a while and keep looking around
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would concur on Kastle being similar and you would stand more a chance of renting those if Stocklii not available.

If you want a similar but possibly a touch stiffer try out this seasons Dynastar Speed course Master or Omeglass with an SL turny sidecut of 13M. The Masters are a firm favourite of mine but had a big GS sidecut. This year they have toned them down to a more manageable sidecut very similar to the original Rossi 9GS from which they evolved from. Cant wait to get on a pair..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colly10 wrote:
Thanks, off to Ischgl in Feb and they seem to be tough to get there for whatever reason.
I’ll just wait a while and keep looking around

Stockli is a (fairly niche) Swiss company whereas Kästle is Austrian so probably easier to find in Ischgl

Try this place in Ischgl - came up on the Stockli store locator http://www.sport-adler.com/en

https://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/stores/find-a-store
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to be guaranteed a specific ski maybe buy your own?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave - I train on dendex most of the year and wouldn’t use a decent pair of new skis on that. Getting them over and back is expensive and i’m not away enough to justify spending around 1k on a pair
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bobinCH - thanks, i’ll give them a try
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@colly10, Fair enough. Maybe consider also expanding your pool of rental candidates to retail "proper" SL skis - maybe gives you the precision you are looking for?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colly10 wrote:
@Dave - I train on dendex most of the year and wouldn’t use a decent pair of new skis on that. Getting them over and back is expensive and i’m not away enough to justify spending around 1k on a pair

If 163 happens to be your length you may be in luck…
https://www.snowleader.com/laser-sx-2020-STOC00098.html

May be worth the travel expense and hassle to guarantee the skis you want. And I guess they’ll last forever if like any of the Stockli’s I’ve had.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
colly10 wrote:

If 163 happens to be your length you may be in luck…
https://www.snowleader.com/laser-sx-2020-STOC00098.html

May be worth the travel expense and hassle to guarantee the skis you want. And I guess they’ll last forever if like any of the Stockli’s I’ve had.

Looks a bargain.
latest report
"Looks a bargain." -- until you change location to the UK and the item disappears....! (Brexit dividend!)

==========

https://www.glideslide.co.uk/ski-equipment/skis/stockli-laser-sx-mens-piste-skis-2020-with-srt-12-ft80-bindings__17758 :: £725

======

Or maybe a search on Ebay
snow report
Ask a friendly Snowhead who lives in Europe to order them for you.
snow conditions
@BobinCH - thanks, that has me very tempted
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:

However, there are some very good skis from the likes of Kastle, Head, Dynastar and Rossignol.

I haven't seen this year's models - but 19/20 season's models were:

Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti
Head Worldcup Rebel i.Race
Rossignol Elite LT ti R22 plate
Kastle MX67

I have the Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti 166cm and they are brilliant skis. A lot of fun and very intuitive. I can't imagine it gets much better, and the radius is great for general skiing (I think any shorter is probably too busy for general piste performance skis, and you're into slalom territory...). Would love to try the Stocklis sometime out of curiosity too.
snow conditions
@anjunabeats, I’m sure there are a few places you can rent these in resort, I have seen them being rented out in Crans-Montana (Stockli’s own test booth on slope) and San Pellegrino (normal ski sales and rental shop in Falcade).
snow report
anjunabeats wrote:

I have the Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti 166cm and they are brilliant skis. A lot of fun and very intuitive. I can't imagine it gets much better, and the radius is great for general skiing (I think any shorter is probably too busy for general piste performance skis, and you're into slalom territory...). Would love to try the Stocklis sometime out of curiosity too.

I may find out, if I can get on a ski holiday, as I got the 158s for an absolute steal. I have some Atomic SL 11 (2004) in a 157 (12m Radius), which are an absolute blast - but Spider Jon told me I shouldn't trust the bindings, which can fail without warning. The SZ 12s also have a turning radius of 12m, so hope they will replicate the fun I had with the SL 11s....I'm also pretty light for a bloke, which helps justify the short length.

If they were my only ski, I would be of a similar view to you - but I have also got some Scott The Ski in 180 (also got for a song), so have that end covered as well.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 1-09-21 13:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yeah, fair enough. My instructor just told me not to go too short on my skis / too short a radius etc.

I'm light too and have to be careful with skis being too long. You'll have a blast on the SZ12 I am sure!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy