Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any cures for funky smelling boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Any good suggestions?

My boots have been living in the back of the truck since start of June, and haven’t really dried out. Getting really offensive Happy

Stuck them in front of the fire tonight but they smell worse now. A bit like dog farts.

Can I wash the liners? They are heat mouldable and foot beds are custom sidas.

Weathers looking crap for the next few days so I want to seize the opportunity Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
douse them fabreeze or odor eaters?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wash them with "soap flakes" or liquid soap, just old fashioned non scented product that's very gentle on materials 30 degree wash doesn't hurt them.

Otherwise something like "amberclense" aerosol for cleaning car upholstery of mystery deposits Very Happy puke, yoghurt etc as it properly kills the smell enzymes?

Failing that, dry cleaning fluid first then low temp wash with liquid soap. A few options anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.conro.com/product/ambersil-amberclens-anti-static-foaming-cleaner-400ml/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3bHT1bur8gIV1WDmCh3uagTxEAAYAyAAEgJt2PD_BwE

This product if available in your market.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hang11, DO NOT WASH THE LINERS 1 it wont work, 2 it will probably destroy them

heat like the fire is not good either as it will remold the footbeds and the liner if you are not really careful

you need to strip the liners out of the shells and get rid of the moisture in the shell, there will be some under the base boards
you can try the various odor removing sprays etc or liners into a ziplock bag and then into the freezer for 24hours to kill any bacteria

the key is not to let them get damp or at least not to let them stay damp, in truth it might be too late to save them especially if any mold is growing in the foam of the liner

good luck

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-08-21 14:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Put them in the freezer for a few days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get some anti-fungal stuff from the pharmacy, e.g. for athlete's foot. Powder, not cream. Dowse liberally, and perhaps shake them up in a large plastic bag.

Works on mine when they get bad (although they do get dried regularly).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Put them in the freezer for a few days.

This - only the liners
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'd be better to follow the professional advice on here about washing as they have more insight than I.

But I've always washed all our family boot liners as above and fully air dryed them over about 2 weeks (obviously all outside the boots) after use each year and with some being more than 10 yrs old now, they've certainly not shown deterioration from that. Anecdotal I know, but over quite a representative period.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think someone here once mentioned that baking soda eliminates odours. Worth a try.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hang11, interesting use of the word 'funky', I don't think that would have been my choice..... Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I picked this up off a ski forum, so now slather Vicks vapour rub onto my feet before putting my socks on - the ingredients apparently prevent build up of smelly bacteria, and the actual ointment has not too bad a smell itself, so it definitely helps mitigate any boot odour setting in
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@geoffers, I have done that. Quite effective.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boric acid cristals - it's the anti fugal ingredient in trainer tamers and other anti stink powders. Wash stinky feet in very mild potassium permanganate solution.

http://youtube.com/v/wPLwczrGikM

To avoid the problem, take your liners and inner soles out EVERY day and dry them.

I've done 23+ winters skiing most days and my boots do not smell. Once a very worried Steve at Sole put my liners in his oven to re form them and he was very suprised that after 50 days of skiing we didn't stink out the shop!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome thanks all. Love this forum - have a problem, ask a question, wake up to the solution Happy

I’ll chuck them in the freezer for a few days and see how that goes. I keep my wading boots in there to kill the bugs too Happy

Really should stop being so lazy and dry my gear out more often.
snow report
@Idris, Maybe time for new boots? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@Idris, Maybe time for new boots? Very Happy Very Happy
yeah yeaah, not skiing in the same boots for 23 winters.....did do 300+ days in one pair of liners, got through 3 pairs of shells Wink
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:
I picked this up off a ski forum, so now slather Vicks vapour rub onto my feet before putting my socks on - the ingredients apparently prevent build up of smelly bacteria, and the actual ointment has not too bad a smell itself, so it definitely helps mitigate any boot odour setting in
This is Masque's oft-touted solution. What's happened to him, btw?
ski holidays
Charcoal stuff. Worked in my husbands REVOLTING hiking boots
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
geoffers wrote:

Worrying that he has not posted recently.
latest report
White vinegar,
I haven't used it on boots but my ski gloves were getting really cheesy, to the level where I got complaints if I took them off in a ski lift, or any other enclosed area such as multi storey car parks Embarassed
I actually poured balsamic vinegar into them as this was the only vinegar or any other suitable substance in the apartment.
Once rinsed out & dried, there was a faint whiff of the chippie but the foul cheesy smell was gone Laughing
The beauty of white vinegar is that it is volatile & leaves no residue like soaps would so it's not a problem if it is not all rinsed out.
snow report
I nearly posted a couple of days ago... "@tangowaggon, will be along soon saying fill them with vinegar" Laughing
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
geoffers wrote:

I've texted him (on the UK number he was using on the last preBB) but no reply. Worried. I suppose admin will have his NOK details on the usual Bash information form...
snow report
try washing with a solution of Bicarbonate of Soda or sprink ling it inside the boots ...it works for cat pee so it might work for this Puzzled
snow conditions
Dr Scholl’s athletes foot spray, sprayed in the boots and on my socks. It’s anti fungal and it eradicated the problem completely. Someone on here told me about it and I have never had a problem since. I use it every day when I’m skiing.
snow report
I dried them out, froze them, threw a load of trainer deodorant in them, did 4 hours uphill and a couple of hours downhill in them today and they weren’t offensive at the end of the day, so hopefully it’s sorted ~ thanks everyone for the help.

They are super comfy boots and I didn’t want to stop using them Happy
latest report
Tea Tree Oil spray worked for me
snow conditions
Stuffed newspaper balls into the boots , pack it out , leave overnight. Takes out smells and moisture

Only problems is finding a newspaper these digital days
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, Have you followed any of the suggestions above? If so, has anything worked?
snow report
hang11 wrote:
I dried them out, froze them, threw a load of trainer deodorant in them, did 4 hours uphill and a couple of hours downhill in them today and they weren’t offensive at the end of the day, so hopefully it’s sorted ~ thanks everyone for the help.

They are super comfy boots and I didn’t want to stop using them Happy
latest report
They seemed pretty good after freezing and a good squirt of trainer tamer. Wore them for a day tour and they were fine.

However only used them once since doing that.

Someone in Auckland been hugging plague infected Australians so currently confined to home, and missing some epic snow Sad
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
geoffers wrote:

He has been traced. Apparently OK and working hard.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, thanks, that's good to hear. snowHead
snow report
I leave a pair of these in my boots every night and then leave the bags in the sun to 'refresh'
https://www.mad-hq.com/sports-odour-absorber-with-charcoal-multi-purpose
They work well - always dry your boots otherwise the stench will eventually come!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy