Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gap Year Instructor Course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

In Ca you can teach on the mountain with a CSIA 1 (and a large proportion of instructors are that level because they're on a gap course with guaranteed employment) so of course the ski bums are better than them.

North America instructors on average have lower skill level because there're no uniform teaching requirement. Each mountain make their own decisions. Some mountains will let a rookie instructor teach before they even get their 1st level cert.

It's also a slightly different mindset too. North American skiers don't take as many lessons as Brit's. Most north Americans simply just go "do it" and learn from falling lots! Very Happy

It doesn't mean there're no good instructors. But they're not the majority. It's just the way "average" works.

That said, I've also seen some seasonaires who can get down anything but with poor form. It's pretty obvious they didn't spent their gap year on instructor training courses! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:

That said, I've also seen some seasonaires who can get down anything but with poor form. It's pretty obvious they didn't spent their gap year on instructor training courses! Laughing Laughing Laughing

It is like the joke around these parts

"what do you call a skier who can't ski?"

"a ski tourer"

I guess it depends what skiing is about... you can see fast charging skiers who ski everything who look really crap... but are they bad skiers in that case? Do they even care?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="abc"]
Quote:

It's a bit of an unfair comparison though. Assuming they spend equal amounts of time on snow of course the skier that got some instruction will improve more. My suggestion is if you replace X hours of instructor course with the same hours of performance training the performance training leads to bigger improvements.

Anyway bit moot as sounds like op is a good fit for ski instructor course.

Quote:

you can see fast charging skiers who ski everything who look really crap... but are they bad skiers in that case? Do they even care?

I know a bunch of people that have average technique but can get down everything (including pretty serious well known backcountry lines) safely and with reasonable style. They are probably more happy than the people I know who are obsessed with technique which reaches a point of analysis paralysis. There is a growing belief in performance analysis that a one size fits all idea of optimum technique doesn't even exist (we have plenty of pros with non-traditional technique to support this). Also there is a point of diminishing returns - once you get to "component" skier you might have to spend 20 hours coaching and doing drill to get a 1% improvement. If you are never going to turn pro is that one percent worth the time and effort you could have been out with mates enjoying yourself? It's an interesting conversation (but completely off topic).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
switzerlandstudent wrote:
Hi all, thank you very much for all the information. It’s been very useful!

To clarify a few things:

- I am female, not doing this in order to gain bragging rights and not currently looking to make this my main career.

- Instead, I am looking to do an instructor course in particular given the wide range of lessons I would learn and skill sets I could acquire as I prepare to move forward in life. I am not a complete beginner but have not yet reached the level that many courses require. Despite this, I do have enough experience to know that skiing is something that I enjoy and would love to be able to share that with others.

- From past experience I know that I enjoy teaching those with a variety of skill levels, including beginners, in subjects that I am passionate about.

- I do enjoy working with children, which it seems is a good thing, and am very happy to repeat the basics as much as necessary in order both to improve and to help me help others improve.

- My parents relocated to Switzerland unexpectedly as covid hit, meaning that I have been presented with an unforeseen opportunity in my year between school and university to take advantage of living closer to the alps than I ever thought I would.

- I have always intended to do some form of voluntary work or similar on my gap year. As life has brought me to the mountains and to partake in a sport I have always enjoyed, I would like to take full advantage of that opportunity whilst also improving my skill set should I ever wish to make use of my qualifications in the future.

I have already been in touch with a couple of the schools mentioned and am very grateful for all the suggestions and advice. As you say, not a decision to be made lightly and you have helped me to fully appreciate the pros and cons of taking such a course.

I could say only GO FOR IT
this is really very very important....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boarder2020 wrote:
Anyway bit moot as sounds like op is a good fit for ski instructor course.

You didn't know she wasn't a good fit. Yet you went on and on to discourage it, assuming she wouldn't be a good fit, only because she didn't come out with a clear statement about her like of teaching! All the while admitting you didn't really know what you want at that age.

Well, I guess it's clear you wouldn't make for a good teacher? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boarder2020 wrote:
abc wrote:
Quote:

It's a bit of an unfair comparison though. Assuming they spend equal amounts of time on snow of course the skier that got some instruction will improve more. My suggestion is if you replace X hours of instructor course with the same hours of performance training the performance training leads to bigger improvements.

It's unfair comparison. Because "if you replace X hours of instructor course with the same hours of performance training", you would have spend the same (if not more) amount of money too.

Quote:
I know a bunch of people that have average technique but can get down everything (including pretty serious well known backcountry lines) safely and with reasonable style. They are probably more happy than the people I know who are obsessed with technique which reaches a point of analysis paralysis. There is a growing belief in performance analysis that a one size fits all idea of optimum technique doesn't even exist (we have plenty of pros with non-traditional technique to support this). Also there is a point of diminishing returns - once you get to "component" skier you might have to spend 20 hours coaching and doing drill to get a 1% improvement. If you are never going to turn pro is that one percent worth the time and effort you could have been out with mates enjoying yourself? It's an interesting conversation (but completely off topic).

All you're preaching is to have as little instruction as one can get away with. Or more clearly, to spend as little money on instruction as one can get away with.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It's unfair comparison. Because "if you replace X hours of instructor course with the same hours of performance training", you would have spend the same (if not more) amount of money too.

So? I never said it was cheaper. I just said if your goal is to get good at skiing there are imo better alternatives i.e. performance training.

Quote:

All you're preaching is to have as little instruction as one can get away with. Or more clearly, to spend as little money on instruction as one can get away with.

Nope. Instruction will make you better, that's pretty much undeniable. Have as much or as little as you want it doesn't bother me. There comes a point when you have to put a lot of work in to make further progress (diminishing returns). Do I want to spend 2 weeks doing drills for some small improvements in technique or would I rather spend those time skiing powder with friends? Your mileage may vary some people like learning and enjoy the structure. If I never get any better that's fine with me I ride at a level I am very happy with it doesn't hold me back at all. I have no ambition (perhaps delusion!) of being the best skier on the mountain, for an aspiring Olympian the outlook would be very different.

Fwiw i have an academic background in movement analysis and have been involved in technique analysis with pro athletes so it's something I do know a little about.

Quote:

You didn't know she wasn't a good fit. Yet you went on and on to discourage it, assuming she wouldn't be a good fit, only because she didn't come out with a clear statement about her like of teaching!

My experience is a lot of gap years go into ski instructing for the complete wrong reasons and then regret it. I was simply asking why she wanted to do it and pointing out some of the negatives and misconceptions some have. I never said absolutely don't do a course, in fact for some people it's absolutely the right thing to do. For others a course makes less sense.

Quote:

Well, I guess it's clear you wouldn't make for a good teacher?

No, I do not enjoy teaching at all, and probably don't have the skills and temperament to excel at it. Back when I was an academic the best teachers tended to be worse researchers and vice versa. Partly due to time constraints you have cant prioritise both and partly because they require different (but no less important) skills.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My experience is a lot of gap years go into ski instructing for the complete wrong reasons and then regret it.

How much of your "experience" is the result of confirmation bias?

Several people had reported positive experience of doing instructor training courses but you just dismissed their experience with "your" counter examples.

Quote:

for some people it's absolutely the right thing to do. For others a course makes less sense.

And there're a lot of people that are in between. And a lot of them wouldn't know one way or the other until they try it.

You're insisting ONLY those who really know they would love it should even think about it. That's rich coming from someone who never had the course, and admit to be a poor teacher.

How many gap year kids you know work in the bar and were perpetually too hungover to ski much? Or in other lines of work that are too exhausted to ski most of their days off?

Quote:

No, I do not enjoy teaching at all, and probably don't have the skills and temperament to excel at it.

Yet you enjoy coming here to tell people things they don't want to hear? Puzzled

It maybe a chicken and egg thing. You may enjoy teaching, but you wouldn't know. Due to your lack of skill to be an effective teacher you never get to experience the rewarding part of teaching. snowHead Just saying...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy