Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2021- 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Time for this years new thread!
Last year was frustrating to say the least. With the lockdown operational from early January we missed a classic easterly winter and what would have been quite a few days of superb skiing in the local hills.

All the clubs cooperate with each other and in previous years have offered reciprocal discounts on day tickets to season ticket holders. Here are the links:

Yad Moss Ski Club, North Pennines
http://yadmoss.co.uk/
Allenheads Ski Club, North Pennines http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/
Lake District Ski Club, Helvellyn Massif http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
Weardale Ski Club, North Pennines http://www.skiweardale.com/  
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And season tickets have now gone on sale at Yad Moss for £55 (£40 for returning season ticket holders Cool ).
A junior season ticket (under 18yrs) is only £10!

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/join-us/

And here is a link to the Club’s Autumn newsletter which tells the frustrating story of last year:

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Newsletter-2021.pdf

Let’s hope for a bit more normality in terms of travel this year but with the same amount (or even more) snow than last year snowHead

Ps. Weardale renewals also going out today.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-09-21 16:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well said Peter, if there are any travel impediments for Europe let's hope we can at least get some good days of domestic skiing. In Braemar a month ago I asked numerous locals about the snow conditions in Feb and it does sound fantastic! One or two did stress that there was no up lift available......even better! But that's another thread.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just renewed my Weardale membership. Got my first couple of days of English skiing last season. I hope to be back to the Alps and the Rockies in the coming season but I will certainly be looking for any opportunity to get back up on the Pennines - it was great fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great newsletter Peter!

The Lake District Ski Club is not offering new memberships until the end of the month. Even then it will be at best, only a limited number once existing members have had the chance to renew. (At the last count, as a result of the Europe-wide near-moratorium on lift-assisted skiing, our waiting list stood at 370! Sad )

However, we do hope to open up more often to guests. Unfortunately this is not likely to occur on sunny Sundays due to car parking and uplift limitations. Much will also depend on how accessible skiing in mainland Europe proves to be.

New for next season will be Stu’s back-to-the-future patent semi-portable rope tow, which is powered by an electric motor inside the tow hut. The haul and downtrack ropes pass through an ‘ole in the wall down to a moveable bottom wheel around 180m away and some 40m lower. That should give us more than 500m in total tow length and (with a mid-station shuffle at the tow hut) a dizzying vertical of nearly 150m! Cool More importantly, when the snow is good, it will give easy access to the lovely drifts which build up to the west out towards Sticks Pass. (The arrow marks the bottom of the new tow...)

The search is currently on for a good supply of cheap car/airline safety belts with quick-release buckles while we experiment with hook sizes and designs...

free image hosting
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Sweeny!

The portable will make a big difference at Raise. Great that Stu and the team are sorting that out. It enables you to ski right down to Sticks Pass and then do a fun traverse back east to the bottom of the rope. Hope you get the snow to use it this year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The best thread on snowheads a long with the Scottish and Welsh ones continues as those majestic peaks turn to brown and soon the white, white frost of autumn will bless us. These truly British hills will be the last to fall and I can assure you of that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Long range forecasts are predicting 6ft at Yad Moss in December.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
6 feet is too much Laughing I’d settle for 6 inches or 15cms in modern speak snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I’d settle for 6 inches or 15cms in modern speak
I'm sure you would matron!! Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
We do hope to open up more often to guests. Unfortunately this is not likely to occur on sunny Sundays due to car parking
Non-members and lapsed members like me should be asked to park at the Thirlmere side of the ascent to the skiing.

Anyway, I find it preferable to the relentless tarmac slog from Glenridding. At least from there it feels like you are actually en-route up the fells almost immediately - a psychological bonus wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weardale members (like me wink ) have been contacted to advise that membership renewals are now due - £10 discount (£38 ) if paid by 30.9.21.

Winter's on its way Very Happy Let's just hope for lots of snow and no restrictions on accessing it...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of good stuff going on up in the hills this summer.

At Raise the LDSC have reconfigured their electric portable tow moving the motor inside the engine hut, protecting it from the weather and speeding up set up time. The additional 150m of run below the Poma will make a big difference. When conditions are good ‘Outer Mongolia’ will be skiable as far down as Sticks Pass and then traverse back below the engine hut. Other jobs on Raise have included painting the pylons and replacing the shutters on the Members hut.

Over at Weardale they have done a lot of work on the top tow removing and refurbishing both the drive and bull wheels and painting all the pylons a rather fetching green. It looks like a huge effort for a single summer with lots of volunteer hours. They are using a two part epoxy paint of the sort that was used on the Forth railway bridge, so it should last! Lots and lots of smaller jobs too including cutting the grass, ditching, hut repairs and general tidying up.

There have been no big projects at Yad Moss this year. We have however completely refurbished the manual brake on the motor drive shaft, and changed some of the sheeve wheel bearings. We have also carried out quite a lot of fence repairs and moved a fence into the top of the bowl. Other jobs Have included dismantling and removing the old ‘oil tank’ storage building servicing the pomas and the piste basher. We have more to do before the first ski day but it should all be manageable from here. Hopefully the webcam will behave itself this year (?!)

No doubt Allenheads have been active too, I just don’t have any info about them.

It’s great to see the clubs so active this summer with well attended work parties and some new very enthusiastic members getting stuck in. Let’s hope for some good skiing again this year Very Happy

Details and photos of the summer work are available on the club Facebook groups.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From Weardale Facebook group

At our most recent board meeting we agreed not to allow day members this year and would restrict skiing to full members only. There are several reasons for this but the main reasons are limited car parking and difficulty managing payments for day visitors due to the layout at WSC and shortage of volunteers. We may allow members to bring a guest on weekdays only on the understanding that they are accompanied by the nominated member who is responsible for them but reserve the right to change this if we get too busy. We would also request the guest to car share with the member. The reciprocal arrangement we have with the other English ski clubs is not affected by this. Membership is very nearly full with approximately 40 places left so if you are wondering about joining do not leave it too long.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the Weardale info kitenski.

Mrs MA and I have been members for years but I do think it's a shame re day members. We may have just been lucky, but in all the time we've been going I think I've only witnessed issues with parking on two or three occasions. Even then, the road was kept clear but with parking down to the bridge and beyond.
ski holidays
Weardale are reporting that their membership is now full.

Good effort. That should help towards any projects next year.
snow report
Can’t believe Weardale have not opened up today. That looks skiable to me:

snow report
I would have
ski holidays
<laughs> I saw the picture and thought... you would have.
ski holidays
Quote:
I would have
Me too - gutted to have just seen the pic now wink
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, was surprised you weren't there Smile
ski holidays
Current modelling suggests between 16 and 35cm of snow in the North Pennines on Sat 27 November Very Happy Could be decent in the Highlands too - up to 49cm there.

snow report
Rumour is 3ft of powder at Yad Moss. FIS interested in re-arranging this weekends Downhill there.
snow conditions
Sadly, Weardale looking unlikely to open tomorrow as the snow is a wind scoured. However, they are inspecting at 10am in the morning...
snow report
Tan Hill snowed in this morning! Any chance of skiing tomorrow at Yad Moss? I know, just wishful thinking, but even so, I like to dream.
snow conditions
Quote:
Any chance of skiing tomorrow at Yad Moss? I know, just wishful thinking, but even so, I like to dream.
Website says not - but that volunteers are going up there for storm recovery work.
ski holidays
Widespread power cuts in Weardale, Teesdale and Tynedale. Electricity lines down all over the place. Hasn’t really hit the news yet.
snow conditions
Quote:
Widespread power cuts in Weardale, Teesdale and Tynedale
So diesel-powered Pennines lifts unaffected?? wink

Northern Powergrid stated just after midnight today that they have restored power to 182,000 of 240,000 affected properties across the region.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Breaking news:
Weardale reports that, after sterling efforts of shifting snow on the main F1 run, they are to open tomorrow for a few hours - so it's time for the first lift-served turns of the North Pennines season Very Happy

- Snow has been scoured from the rest of the hill by Storm Arwen, so only F1 will operate.
- Snow tyres or chains are essential for the access road.
- It's members only for winter 2021-22.

Could be a day for the diehards...But betting that we have skied worse Laughing . After all, any November skiing in England is not to be sniffed at wink

See you all there!! Very Happy
snow conditions
From weardale

After a brief inspection yesterday it was felt that most of the snow had been scoured from the slopes due to the high winds which has also caused some carnage in Weardale with tree and powerlines down so we decided it was not safe to open today. A few of us went up today to see what it was like and Kevin did a magnificent job spreading out the snow that the fencing had caught her was able to create a reasonable run down the main run on F1. All the other runs were too bare to safely ski and F2 was devoid of snow.
We are intending to run the tows tomorrow, Monday 29th from 1030, but due to cover being thin we are intending only to run for a couple of hours so are likely to close by 1230. Members only
The road has been ploughed but was still very icy and good winter/snow tyres or chains will be needed to get up safely.
I apologise for not being able to send out an email or update this site but power has only just been restored to Weardale after nearly 48 hours of candlelight and there has been no mobile reception.
Photos show F1, the road access, scoured F2 and what the slopes looked like yesterday
snow report
weardale up and running!

ski holidays
Fantastic !! I've been waiting for this picture all day !!
ski holidays
Were you there kitenski? If so, we didn’t see you!

It was hats off to the Weardale pisteurs - a fantastic effort to open main F1 run when most of the snow had been blown off the hill! Well done them!!

Grassy at the very top of the tow and run but mainly perfect packed powder below Very Happy

A very enjoyable return to English snow, enjoyed by 10 or 11 skiers and one boarder.

snow report
Great stuff MA. That looks excellent! Very Happy Very Happy

Did you need a Pass Sanitaire and mask to get on the lift? Puzzled
snow conditions
Still 14,000 households without power including Weardale, Teesdale and Tynedale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59502948

More snow than we’ve ever seen at Yad Moss in November. Power lines down everywhere in the upper Dales. Far worse than the Beast from the East in terms of disruption. The B6277 was hopelessly blocked on Sunday and even the A66 which is part of the National strategic route network with all the resources that involves was closed for three days. Still some useful drifts left at Yad Moss so it’s not back to square one yet.
latest report
Hope everyone is ok Peter !
snow conditions
No need to drive an hour to the Pennines today - we had the unexpected bonus of fresh tracks at our local disused quarry.

It's not very steep - but any day on snow is a good day in my book Laughing

snow report
Quote:
Did you need a Pass Sanitaire and mask to get on the lift?
Thankfully, a Pass Seasonnaire was good enough wink
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Great stuff! Wonder if you got the first turns in the UK ??

We had loads here last week, was very tempted to get my kit out of the loft to bag first turns of the season.
snow conditions
Quote:
Great stuff! Wonder if you got the first turns in the UK ??
See Weardale report above from 29.11.21 - we were only third and fourth skiers on the lift after it opened rolling eyes (And I think the lift operators skied the previous day while they were pisting the run wink)

Could well have been the first non-lift-served
turns in England though Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy