Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
@jsrdixon, re: point 1 if you're a decent skier and like putting in the miles it is worth it for the variety of terrain and runs as well as the stunning views of the Matterhorn from Gornegrat & Sunnegga, but check the weather forecast in advance as if there will be strong winds the link will be closed so not worth buying for the whole trip but can upgrade on a day-by-day basis
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve stayed in the White Angel before and am staying again tomorrow for a week. It is definitely ski in/ski out, but it’s not the nicest of reds on the last bit to get there and can get a bit soft. An intermediate would manage it fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you!! Looking forward to it.

Last question. My football team Crystal Palace is in the semi-final of the FA Cup on Sunday. Are there any places to watch sport/football!?

Thanks again in advance!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jsrdixon wrote:
Thank you!! Looking forward to it.

Last question. My football team Crystal Palace is in the semi-final of the FA Cup on Sunday. Are there any places to watch sport/football!?

Thanks again in advance!

Yes, get yourself to the Yeti, good luck and enjoy!

Hope you get the win.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So that is the end of that part of the season. After all lifts are closed (including the Furggsattel part glacier lift) you can still ski down to Trockener Steg from the summer glacier area. These photos from Matterhorn Chalets from about a week ago) show that it was still just about possible to make it down. Then a couple of days later (and some blistering sunshine): not. So now all skiing is just using the summer drag lifts.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
that looks rather grim. i checked back today coincidentally this time last year and there is a marked difference. Climate issues aside, I assume to be finished up this early is due to the lack of snow through the season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess. It was a poor snow season and then the heat wave hit. The run down to Trockener Steg never lasts much longer than this. I remember pre pandemic doing it in June and large sections were water skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i was there in july 2013 and skied to trockner without issue (of course slushy later on). i assume that must have been a better year....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was up for the weekend recently. Didn’t ski but the Summer season was in full swing!

High tech Swiss engineering

Searching for the Lost Valley

Lovely lunch at Paradise

Next day up the other side to Edelweiss and across to Zmutt

into the forest down to Blatten

Melting on the terrace

Everyone except the pooch Loving the Cœur des Alpes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^^^
Wow. Stunning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sbooker wrote:
^^^^^
Wow. Stunning.

The scenery is certainly spectacular!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bringing back memories there @BobinCH. fantastic photos - thanks for sharing. it is such a fantastic place.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going there for summer ski next week.
Apparently not as good as 2020 and 2021, but according to some reports, the piste itself is as good as the other years.

This is the glacier from 2 days ago:
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndreSilva wrote:
Going there for summer ski next week.
Apparently not as good as 2020 and 2021, but according to some reports, the piste itself is as good as the other years.

This is the glacier from 2 days ago:

Good luck. Tignes glacier closing today
https://en.tignes.net/ouvertures-station
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndreSilva, am I right in thinking you went before on a Warren Smith course?

I'm doing my L2 instructor course with them at the end of August (if there's any glacier left!)
snow report
swskier wrote:
@AndreSilva, am I right in thinking you went before on a Warren Smith course?

I'm doing my L2 instructor course with them at the end of August (if there's any glacier left!)

Yes sir!
I attended the summer course in 2020 and 2021, it was great conditions and nice weather, hope this year we get sunny days again Cool
latest report
A sign of things to come?

I really should have checked before I left the apartment in Täsch to head up to Zermatt. We have been walking this week but today was meant to be my ski day up on the glacier. I checked on the shuttle and saw that the summer ski area was not open. I had checked the glacier wind speeds at breakfast (high winds can close the glacier) and knew that could not be the problem. I asked at the tourist office and was told the snow was not good enough. The summer ski area had been open earlier this week and there had been precipitation on Monday (which would have been snow on the glacier). It hasn’t even been super hot this week. The winter season was not a particularly good one for snow so the base on the glacier is not as good as it would be in some years. However it they can’t open the glacier in the first week of July how are they going to get through to October when the proper snow starts again?

Just over the other side of the mountain Saas Fee has announced that it is not opening for summer skiing at all this year.

Might need to change this marketing. Very sad.

latest report
@JohnMo, think I might get myself some insurance incase it goes pear shaped for my August course!
latest report
@JohnMo, ohh... I'm driving there tomorrow, Warren Smith course will run from Sunday to Thursday, hope it doesn't get canceled rolling eyes
snow conditions
I hope it works out for you. They are very good at farming snow so can keep the pistes running at times you would not think it is possible. However, there is no precipitation in the forecast for the next week and no forecast drop in temperatures.

This is a shot of the bottom of the summer ski area and to the lower right the cat track you ski down from the Italian lift. That is as grim as I have seen it (at any point during the summer) in the ten years or so that I have been coming out here. I thought that even though the public might not be allowed on, they would still allow the professional racers who come here on. But it seems not.

snow report
JohnMo wrote:
The winter season was not a particularly good one for snow so the base on the glacier is not as good as it would be in some years. However it they can’t open the glacier in the first week of July how are they going to get through to October when the proper snow starts again?

So will late October skiing there likely be crap? But it will still happen?
ski holidays
Late October the skiing has usually (always in my experience) moved from the higher glacier off Klein Matterhorn to the lower glacier off the Furggsattel lift. The latter is much better skiing. The quality will depend entirely on the snow we get in October.
latest report
@JohnMo, cheers. Would be nice to get those lower slopes open for late Oct as we are thinking to go then.
snow conditions
Ah also I didnt know this, seen on another thread

Kenzie wrote:
They are due to hold World Cup racing in October & November.
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/World-Cup

Any ideas if this good/bad for recreational skiing on the days the races are held?
latest report
ster wrote:
Ah also I didnt know this, seen on another thread

Kenzie wrote:
They are due to hold World Cup racing in October & November.
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/World-Cup

Any ideas if this good/bad for recreational skiing on the days the races are held?

The training days start on 26 October.

At the beginning of October for the public skiing is on the summers ski area mainly on pistes 85, 83 and 84. You come back to Klein Matterhorn via the lift up to Gobba di Rollin and then ski down 86. Once the snow is good enough the skiing switches to using the lift from Trockener Steg to Furggsattel and skiing down 71 and 72 (that is a more extensive area than it looks on the piste map). In the last ten years by 26 October the snow has always been good enough to move to the Furggsattel area. Obviously however that is not guaranteed.

The World Cup course starts at Gobba di Rollin. Although it is a new course it approximately follows 82, 88 then 7 down to Laghi Cime Bianche. If the snow is not good enough to open Furggsattel the public would not be able to continue to ski the summer area as they are in the same area.

So you should be OK to ski late October but not certain. It will probably be busier on the lifts from town to Trockener Steg as there will be World Cup spectators as well as skiers heading to Furggsattel. But those lifts (and the relief lifts) have a very large capacity.

snow report
If you are around mid-November to mid-December you can ski the World Cup course. It would be a fun thing to do but at CHF105 it is rather steep (pun intended).

https://www.zermatt.ch/zermatt/experience/detail/Downhill-World-Cup-Piste-Gran-Becca-with-ZERMATTERS-TDS00020013696760649
snow conditions
I am not going to do a running commentary but I see that the summer ski area is open again today (and there was no fresh snow up top last night).
snow conditions
First day today, although the mountains are not as white as last year, the piste itself is as good as last years, quite icy in the morning. Snow a bit dirty but pure visual, conditions are great.

Some videos and pics from today:

https://youtube.com/shorts/C8xWju736bs
https://youtube.com/shorts/rmNMnTe_Oi0
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnMo, thanks for the info, thats been really useful!

So there is a chance if they cannot open the lower slopes that there would be no recreational skiing 26-30 Oct, just the time we are thinking of going.

On the other hand it may be worth the small (?) risk and get to see some WC racing (I see its free to watch on the upper part of the course). Something that we would probably never get to see.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@JohnMo, thanks for the info, thats been really useful!

So there is a chance if they cannot open the lower slopes that there would be no recreational skiing 26-30 Oct, just the time we are thinking of going.

On the other hand it may be worth the small (?) risk and get to see some WC racing (I see its free to watch on the upper part of the course). Something that we would probably never get to see.

I am afraid that is the case. We have owned a place out there for 10 years so I always keep an eye on when the lower glacier opens. In that time it has always been open by 26 October. But some years it is not much before then. The earliest it will open this year is 2 October - but it would be surprising if there was enough early snow to open it quite as soon as that.

You almost certainly will be alright. But you might have a squeaky bum in October waiting for those early snowfalls.
latest report
Just came back after a whole week on the glacier.
Conditions were great, not different from the past 2 years, in fact, last Sunday it was colder than usual, I had to wear my buff for the first time. On Thursday and Friday it was quite hot, slush formed a bit earlier.
Got lucky, 3 years in a row with good weather for consecutively 6 days.

Can't wait to get back there for early season in November!
ski holidays
@AndreSilva, thanks for the report, hopefully it holds up ok through to the back end of August!
ski holidays
Watching thread with interest. Daughter heading out with a couple of colleagues at Glasgow ski centre for the BASI2 course.
ski holidays
Pleased to hear skiing up on the glacier is going well. I was unlucky the day I chose to try to go up.

The below probably isn’t a good sign.

snow report
Depressing Sad

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Mountaineering-climbing-and-hiking/Hiking-map/Temporary-closure-of-the-summer-ski-area-as-of-29.07.2022_pr_2138503
snow report
@JohnMo, no mention of how long this "time out" will be....
snow conditions
Just heard that the BASI2 course is off now. Sad
latest report
@boabski, my IASI L2 in 3.5 weeks is looking very doubtful now.
snow report
Screenshot-2022-07-27-at-12-03-07

Am I pointlessly holding out hope?
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
Depressing Sad

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Mountaineering-climbing-and-hiking/Hiking-map/Temporary-closure-of-the-summer-ski-area-as-of-29.07.2022_pr_2138503

I got lucky... my plan was to go in the first week of August but decided to go 2 weeks ago, sad to hear that Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy