Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
Sure Verbier tries hard too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
79chf for Verbier 4 Valleys
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow is great, cold but grippy. Off piste is non existant at the moment, may change in the next few days/weeks.
Are any of the Zermatt itineraries open? Would quite like a bit more adventure tomorrow before the weather sets in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottishandy wrote:
Snow is great, cold but grippy. Off piste is non existant at the moment, may change in the next few days/weeks.
Are any of the Zermatt itineraries open? Would quite like a bit more adventure tomorrow before the weather sets in.

Is the snow on piste good both zermatt and Cervinia sides? March is still a way off yet but I am getting nervous!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty similar from my experience Lots of bare grass/rock but pistes are fast and good. Only difficult piste was off glacier where the steep narrow bit was quite moguled leading to some carnage. Hard pistes and high winds warning at PRTG was unjustified IMHO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scottishandy wrote:
Pretty similar from my experience Lots of bare grass/rock but pistes are fast and good. Only difficult piste was off glacier where the steep narrow bit was quite moguled leading to some carnage. Hard pistes and high winds warning at PRTG was unjustified IMHO.

Thank you! Fingers crossed for some dumps over the next few weeks!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottishandy wrote:

The only two itineraries open at present are 67 (heading down to Furgg) and 49 (branching off from the red that runs round from Schwarzsee to Furi). Really poor for mid-Feb.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers JohnMo.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LDP816 wrote:
scottishandy wrote:

Is the snow on piste good both zermatt and Cervinia sides? March is still a way off yet but I am getting nervous!

I’d say Zermatt had better cover than Cervinia. The gentle blue slopes were fine - this was looking down towards Plan Maison from Chalet Étoile

But the wind has stripped anything exposed. This was looking South from the chairlifts up to Theodulpass

You definitely want sharp edges for the morning and coming down at the end of the day!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now light snow in Cervinia. On a non snow basis whilst not much is happening does anyone know if the Baita Cretaz restaurant is accessible from a blue run? On our first day I want to get a first day adult (30 year old bloke), there without mishap after his lesson or get the instructor to drop him off.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH where is your 2nd photo taken from? i cant quite figure it out. is it looking up run 6 (Bontadini)??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kj82 wrote:
@BobinCH where is your 2nd photo taken from? i cant quite figure it out. is it looking up run 6 (Bontadini)??

Not sure - this is what photo info says

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blackblade wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Was more a reflection on the stark contrast of Zermatt vs Cervinia, that I didn’t sense a few years back. And how Chamonix feels like it has gone downhill in contrast to its Swiss neighbours.

I noticed that since Zermatt started investing in Cervinia infrastructure the differences have reduced. Cervinia still has more 'old style' non-decoupling chairs, true, but they are now only in the more remote parts of the resort. All the lifts that service a return from Cervinia to Zermatt are now modern and swift.

Chamonix I'd agree with you completely though; feels to me as if they are sitting on their laurels as a bastion of skiing and have not invested in updating infrastructure.

Moving this reply here…

I was impressed with Zermatt. It was even better than I remembered. On a busy Sunday morning, there was a bit of a queue but it was no more than 7 mins waiting for the Matterhorn Express

I want to be a Zermatt mountain guide when I grow up

The view from the queue snowHead

The new lift to the Klein Matterhorn is quite something. Quick, comfortable, heated seats! Can we have one at Mont Fort please! The views are mindblowing - Dufourspitze, Lyskam, Weissshorn, Zinal Rothorn. The skiing area is huge and atmospheric. The snow was boilerplate but we could have had a ton of fun with some fresh. There were lines everywhere - big couloirs, between séracs…

The restaurants were great. We LOVE Chez Vrony. We were late on Saturday, greeted by the old boy, kitchen was closed but they still made us Apple fritters and hot chocolates and brought blankets

And Zum See not far behind

Service was great, food perfect, setting idyllic

Cervinia base station looked really tired. Our old fave Chalet Étoile had a massive disorganized queue outside. Toilets Stunk. It was chaos inside. Such a shame

The terrain is barren. Even the Matterhorn looks a bit messy from this side.

Lifts are older and slower - I guess they don’t have the Swiss cash?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, it's hard to argue with a lot of what you say. I've never been to Zermatt or Cervinia, but I've been pricing up a possible visit to the Cervinia side ahead of an Italian trip next month.

From what I can see, Cervinia has a lot of disadvantages which it is stuck with, compared to Zermatt:
- less scenic (particularly if snow cover off piste is patchy!)
- less variety of terrain
- less sheltered (Zermatt is not exactly amazing in this respect, but at least there are a few wooded areas lower down)
- less history (and therefore reputation, so it doesn't attract international tourists in the same way)
- south facing, which is a bigger issue in dry and warmish seasons such as this one
- possibly more remote
- it can't diverge too much in price from Zermatt for the all-area pass, which means it ends up being much more expensive than all the other nearby resorts on the Italian side

Cervinia still has many advantages compared to many other resorts, such as altitude, season length and ski area size, but it's difficult to overlook the disadvantages.

I've pretty much decided that I'll leave Cervinia for this year. If / when I do get around to visiting in a future season, I plan to base myself on the Swiss side. It'll be more expensive (which I dislike as I usually try to ski on the cheap), but I think it'll be worth it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of the Cervinia ski shops i follow on instagram just posted, looks like a fair amount of fresh snow is falling to resort level this evening?!
snow report
Yep, bags first chair on Cielo Alto. Razz
snow conditions
We normally ski from Zermatt, but we have a beginner and Cervinia wins hands down@BobinCH, did you book the restaurant? Chalet Etoile is a favourite of ours. Heart breaking to hear it may be not as it has always been…, great!
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
We normally ski from Zermatt, but we have a beginner and Cervinia wins hands down@BobinCH, did you book the restaurant? Chalet Etoile is a favourite of ours. Heart breaking to hear it may be not as it has always been…, great!

Cervinia is perfect for beginners, wide, gentle pistes and if you go at sensible times, not too busy!

I’m taking my partner there in March, she’s only done one week in les arcs, she actually picked the resort this time, hope she loves it!
snow report
I’m going in late March too, I dare say the excitement of skiing again will outweigh the disadvantages Cervinia might have. I’ve been to Zermatt a few times and will be paying a visit again this time, lifts permitting. Very much aiming to get to the Findlerhof for an early lunch, are there any tips from seasoned travellers about the return to Italy (apart from avoiding an 800CHF taxi ride)?

A friend is out there now, she says bars are quiet (for a half term this is surprising), snow is coming down and the Chalet Etoile is already booked out for the week. Looks like more snow expected next week too, if Snow Forecast is to be trusted).
snow report
Started snowing yesterday afternoon, lightly at resort level, still snowing at 8pm, still light but very dry, just a few cm but badly needed. Due to brighten up later and plan to head over to Zermatt. Can anyone recommend an area that's not too challenging for a skiier with a previously busted and vulnerable ACL? (I'll do separate thread in the Piste so as not to get off topic here!)
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:

Cervinia lower slopes looked ideal for beginners. The east blues around Plan Maison in the sunshine would be perfect. The run down from Klein Matterhorn and Plateau Rosa were steeper, rock hard and busy so would give those a miss.

We weren’t able to book Chalet Etoile as it was fully booked. But it looked like the people who did book were standing in a long queue going out the door and practically out the terrace. They were no doubt mixed with those queuing for terrace drinks and those just standing in the queue hoping for a table as there was no way to distinguish given the single queue.
latest report
@BobinCH, cheers. People often queue who have not booked. Never had an issue when booking, but we are normally quite early, and want to get back off over the top to Zermatt handy. I have skied Cervinia for a week once, but it was 40 years ago with university friends. Looking forward to skiing all the area rather than a Chalet Etoile or Bontadini transit Very Happy
ski holidays
Jude1 wrote:
Started snowing yesterday afternoon, lightly at resort level, still snowing at 8pm, still light but very dry, just a few cm but badly needed. Due to brighten up later and plan to head over to Zermatt. Can anyone recommend an area that's not too challenging for a skiier with a previously busted and vulnerable ACL? (I'll do separate thread in the Piste so as not to get off topic here!)

Glad there’s been a smattering to keep things fresh. The runs from the top of plan Maison are generally nice, once you’ve explored that area the runs from pancheron are a little more testing but still nice and scenic (well usually, might not be if it’s a bare as everyone says). By the end of the week, if feeling up to it, the Ventina run, number 7 I think, from the top of plateau Rosa is an absolute must! It’s very long, but of a leg burner!
ski holidays
Blanch1962 wrote:
I’m going in late March too, I dare say the excitement of skiing again will outweigh the disadvantages Cervinia might have. I’ve been to Zermatt a few times and will be paying a visit again this time, lifts permitting. Very much aiming to get to the Findlerhof for an early lunch, are there any tips from seasoned travellers about the return to Italy (apart from avoiding an 800CHF taxi ride)?

From Cervinia town I would personally leave 2 hours before last lift to make sure you get back, this should be ample for good skiers, because once you are at the Top of Plateau Rosa you can ski down into Zermatt. A word of warning, those not wanting to ski the black that ends up in Furi should leave more time as they will have to download on the gondola so will obviously need to make sure it’s open to get down, the black run is steepish in places but is quite narrow, and twists and turns sharply down into resort, personally it’s one of my favourite runs in the resort.
latest report
@Jude1, @Blanch1962,

Would strongly advise you download fatmaps, I find it great for getting around, mobile reception dependent.
snow report
@LDP816, late in the day it’s churned up though, so beware, with a lot of people who can’t really ski it on a busy day. Can be carnage
snow report
A couple of iterations of this nice blip. Could be more reasonable snow on the way snowHead

ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@LDP816, late in the day it’s churned up though, so beware, with a lot of people who can’t really ski it on a busy day. Can be carnage

That I was unaware of, the times I’ve been I’ve always stayed Cervinia side so ski’d the runs down to Furi late morning. Maybe that is one plus point of staying Cervinia side Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
A couple of iterations of this nice blip. Could be more reasonable snow on the way snowHead

I would love to know how to read these, is there a thread on here somewhere?
ski holidays
@LDP816, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852. A sticky at the top of snow reports. Essentially top squiggle is temp, the lower the better, and bottom is precipitation, the higher the better, ( assuming temperature allows for snow not rain).Most of these are GFS forecasts and to the 6 day out level will be mirrored by what you see on ‘Snow forecast.com’ for example
snow conditions
Also they update 4 times a day, so take one with a pinch of salt further out than 3 days. If it keeps repeating it’s getting more probable it will happen.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@LDP816, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852. A sticky at the top of snow reports. Essentially top squiggle is temp, the lower the better, and bottom is precipitation, the higher the better, ( assuming temperature allows for snow not rain).Most of these are GFS forecasts and to the 6 day out level will be mirrored by what you see on ‘Snow forecast.com’ for example

Thanks for this, it’s exactly what I wanted to know the sticky topic assumed a massive amount of knowledge from the start! All I wanted was to know how to read the charts, thanks for your help!
snow report
@LDP816, good, I had not looked at the sticky for a while!
latest report
This one is also very good. You need the top 2 graphs, temperature and precipitation.
https://www.meteoblue.com/nl/weer/voorspelling/multimodel/breuil-cervinia_itali%C3%AB_3181545?fcstlength=168

Advantage of this graph is, you see the results from multiple weather models in 1 graph. Each model has its own color.
When the models are in agreement (lines not too far apart) forecast reliability is high. When the models diverge, reliability is low.

You cannot say as a rule, that reliability of the forecast is ALWAYS bad further out.
There's weather constellations that have good forecast-ability, and constellations where reliability is low.

And the 14-days-graph (you can choose it from the pane on the left) has a visual indication of confidence interval. FWIW.
https://www.meteoblue.com/nl/weer/14-dagen/breuil-cervinia_itali%c3%ab_3181545
snow conditions
@Onnem, They won’t always be bad but more likely to be inaccurate indeed
latest report
Onnem wrote:
This one is also very good. You need the top 2 graphs, temperature and precipitation.
https://www.meteoblue.com/nl/weer/voorspelling/multimodel/breuil-cervinia_itali%C3%AB_3181545?fcstlength=168

Advantage of this graph is, you see the results from multiple weather models in 1 graph. Each model has its own color.
When the models are in agreement (lines not too far apart) forecast reliability is high. When the models diverge, reliability is low.

You cannot say as a rule, that reliability of the forecast is ALWAYS bad further out.
There's weather constellations that have good forecast-ability, and constellations where reliability is low.

And the 14-days-graph (you can choose it from the pane on the left) has a visual indication of confidence interval. FWIW.
https://www.meteoblue.com/nl/weer/14-dagen/breuil-cervinia_itali%c3%ab_3181545

Thank you! Our trip is a way off, I know there is no point looking at charts just now, but that is never going to stop me!!
snow report
Adler Hitta is a lovely lunch stop, with some wonderful Matterhorn views on the terrace on a nice day. However I also remember it as the first place I'd been charged for tap water, but they explained the issues they have with getting fresh water at that location, cleaning costs, etc, so I didn't mind
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
Adler Hitta is a lovely lunch stop, with some wonderful Matterhorn views on the terrace on a nice day. However I also remember it as the first place I'd been charged for tap water, but they explained the issues they have with getting fresh water at that location, cleaning costs, etc, so I didn't mind

Water, coffee (and probably wine?) are the 2 most striking cost differentials between CH and IT. We paid euros 2.50 for a coffee at Plan Maison vs 5chf at Findeln. Water was 3.5 euros for 0.75l vs more than double that CH side.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, wine in Switzerland beggars belief. Really poor wine in my opinion for 45chf. That’s the cheap end, out of proportion expensive to even beer and coffee. I assume massive tax but I have no idea.
ski holidays
Should say I will still be going to Zermatt as it is entirely worth it. I don’t go on a wine tour. Hope we have some snow to talk about soon snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy