Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
@JohnMo, thanks for your update, we arrive Sunday, first day skiing Monday and was concerned that it would be rain not snow with the high temperatures.
However do appreciate that the sheer altitude of Cervinia/Zermatt is at least helpful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Debbie0312 wrote:
@JohnMo, thanks for your update, we arrive Sunday, first day skiing Monday and was concerned that it would be rain not snow with the high temperatures.
However do appreciate that the sheer altitude of Cervinia/Zermatt is at least helpful.

We arrive on Monday (Covid tests permitting). Zermatt being so high can be a disadvantage but times like this it really is a big plus point.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m here in Cervinia at the moment. Good layer of snow yesterday on top of tired pistes and grassy off pistes, which is great. A little more due today.
However, tonight/tomorrow it’s expected to move above well above freezing. Would it be worth heading over to north-facing Zermatt?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions are pretty great so far on the Zermatt side this morning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like the next two days should be great before the Sahara comes to Zermatt over New Year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like Zermatt is getting absolutely plastered. Should be great up high after this front clears!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is absolutely dumping right now, I'm like a snowman after every lift. Not a lot open today mind and visibility is challenging.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am hoping this will be enough to get some of the itineraries open.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like we were lucky with the snow line. This is the road into Täsch from the north (and part of the cross country skiing area on the left) at 2.30 this afternoon. Täsch is at 1450m so way

below the more pessimistic forecasts of snow line during the day. They keep that road really clear so all that snow on it will be recent stuff. It will be very wet but suggests ski areas will be getting decent stuff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That’s good to hear, thanks for the update
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone any idea if Zermatt likely to be open tomorrow, 31st? We’re in Cervinia and our last day tomorrow, so last chance to hit Switzerland.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morning everyone,

A quick question for those in the know - what is protocol if you travel out to Switzerland and test positive towards the end of your trip - if you were in Zermatt for example is there an official quarantine hotel and what is the cost?

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just coming into the more reliable range: a decent bit of snow top up for early-mid next week. Temperatures down a bit as well so the rain risk is not as great as with the last storm.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really great conditions up on the Kleine Matterhorn today - firm but grippy. Great run down to Cervinia on the softer spring-like snow as it warmed up with lunch on the way in Igloo (nice service, reasonable-ish prices compared to Zermatt).

What’s everyone doing for New Years in Zermatt? Any recommendations?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
recz wrote:
Really great conditions up on the Kleine Matterhorn today - firm but grippy. Great run down to Cervinia on the softer spring-like snow as it warmed up with lunch on the way in Igloo (nice service, reasonable-ish prices compared to Zermatt).

What’s everyone doing for New Years in Zermatt? Any recommendations?

Unfortunately Covid restrictions mean the fire works have been cancelled. They are usually great. We enjoy the meal/party they do at Hotel Post (might still be some places left).
latest report
We've just changed our French trip on the 15th to Cervinia - first time in Italy so very excited! Snow conditions look good!

Any tips on good places for ski hire? We're staying at the Hotel Europa so near by would be good.
latest report
We’ve typically used these guys: https://www.genzianellasport.it/en they have a shop just opposite the Cretaz lift and not far from your hotel.
snow conditions
Had to rent an emergency pair of skis and went to FlexRent - they were very helpful though basically didn’t have any skis left. They recommended Julen Sport (an intersport franchise) as having the biggest selection (though they were low on skis too). I think this is just a factor of the New Year rush.
snow report
On another note: have any of you Zermatters ski toured to and stayed in any particularly nice refuges / huts in the area?

The off piste is completely blown at the moment but we’re looking for a nice pretty not too strenuous tour and overnight stay somewhere. Recommendations welcome!
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, appreciate any update on the hotel. We are there in March all being well.
snow conditions
@twoodwar, no worries at all, will do.
ski holidays
recz wrote:
On another note: have any of you Zermatters ski toured to and stayed in any particularly nice refuges / huts in the area?

The off piste is completely blown at the moment but we’re looking for a nice pretty not too strenuous tour and overnight stay somewhere. Recommendations welcome!

I don’t think any of the ski tour mountain huts open until March when the touring season gets going fully.

This is a good guide to freeriding generally around Zermatt. Personally I am too nervous to either tour or free ride without a guide.

https://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/blog/off-piste-guide-zermatt
ski holidays
Debbie0312 wrote:
We’ve typically used these guys: https://www.genzianellasport.it/en they have a shop just opposite the Cretaz lift and not far from your hotel.

Thanks, much appreciated - I'll take a look
snow report
Not wanting to spook anybody, but is it a bad snow year? Our trip is in 4 weeks, so plenty of time. But maybe we won't book an off-piste guide just yet.
snow report
CJM wrote:
Not wanting to spook anybody, but is it a bad snow year? Our trip is in 4 weeks, so plenty of time. But maybe we won't book an off-piste guide just yet.

“Bad” might be overstating it. But it is not good. You can tell that from the fact that none of the itineraries are open yet. One would not expect the big itineraries on Stockhorn to open until the beginning of next month and the Rothorn itineraries are rocky and need a big snow cover. But it is a pity that none of the others are open – for example, the ones coming down from Furggsattel on skier’s left – there has been a lot of snow up there.

November was good and when you are coming up the valley on the train it all looks good as it is white all the way – that is not always the case. However, I think there just wasn’t enough big dumps in December to get stuff covered. We had a nice snow storm last night and it has made everything look really pretty but it was not a game changer. I went into the mountain guide place yesterday thinking I might do the Pfulwe pass. I knew I was being very optimistic as that is low: it is the ridge over the east side of the Rothorn mountain. I was not surprised they were not doing it. So I thought I would just get my legs warm by doing the Schwarztour: that is the area to the north of Klein Matterhorn, the other side of the Breithorn. They are not even doing that yet, which is surprising.

We are going cross country skiing tomorrow as the course in Täsch and Randa is in great condition. There have been years where that has been green/brown at this time.

A lot can happen in 4 weeks and there is a decent base of snow there. It just does need those couple of big dumps. On the GFS forecasts, in the moderately reliable timeframe it is still showing dustings rather than dumps.

Pistes all look great - so good news for piste skiers (who I realise are the vast majority). I haven't been out yet (been walking and about to go off snowshoe walking). I will be out some time in the next couple of days.
snow report
10 days till we arrive, so I'm starting to get addicted to every weather update now!! Looks like a nice dump is due over the weekend - any clues to how the weather might be shaping up after that..?
snow conditions
We’ve been in Cervinia for last couple of days. I agree that extra snow would be useful, although the dusting last night helped. As it’s still holiday season in Italy, the pistes are busy and the warm weather of the previous days does mean that in places the slopes are hard packed.
Interesting they still have only opened approximately 60% of pistes and I don’t think this is lack of snow, maybe lack of pisteurs?
Overall piste conditions are good (definitely better towards the top) if not fantastic, and we are still relishing the fact we’re skiing after a 2 year hiatus.
snow conditions
Debbie0312 wrote:
We’ve been in Cervinia for last couple of days. I agree that extra snow would be useful, although the dusting last night helped. As it’s still holiday season in Italy, the pistes are busy and the warm weather of the previous days does mean that in places the slopes are hard packed.
Interesting they still have only opened approximately 60% of pistes and I don’t think this is lack of snow, maybe lack of pisteurs?
Overall piste conditions are good (definitely better towards the top) if not fantastic, and we are still relishing the fact we’re skiing after a 2 year hiatus.

Really interesting to know - we've only just changed from our French trip, where the snow is looking really good, so foolishly assumed that the italian alps were in a similar position. Hopefully the snow due over the next few days will help the situation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Debbie0312 wrote:

Hi. What are you basing the 60% on? The first photo is what is currently open in Cervinia. The second photo is the full piste map. A couple of pistes are not open but it seems like more like 90% are.

snow report
Hi, I just checked the cervinia website - is it true that more than hlf lifts are closed? is it due to weather or what?
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
Debbie0312 wrote:

Hi. What are you basing the 60% on? The first photo is what is currently open in Cervinia. The second photo is the full piste map. A couple of pistes are not open but it seems like more like 90% are.

Where did you get the interactive map of what is open?
latest report
Can anyone confirm that the website for Cervinia is accurate i.e. about only <50% of lifts are open??
snow report
bober02 wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the website for Cervinia is accurate i.e. about only <50% of lifts are open??

Just got this response from Cervinia ski lift company:

"Good afternoon from the Lift Company,

All lifts are open in Cervinia, Valtournenche and Zermatt. The website is in real time so according to the time on the website they are open or closed; at this moment many are already closed.

This morning the lifts on the upper part of the ski area opened late due to the wind."

All good!!!! COming next Fri!!!!
snow report
bober02 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Debbie0312 wrote:

The interactive map comes from the Zermatt website. They take the info from Cervinia and combine it with their interactive map. It is much more useful for me. The Cervinia website does not do an interactive map. It lists lifts and shows red for closed and green for open. As someone who is red/green colour blind all it is telling me is that all lifts are open or all are closed or somewhere in between.

That is fine for me as I always come from the Swiss side. If the link between Switzerland and Italy is closed the Zermatt website does not show the position in Cervinia at all.
ski holidays
bober02 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Debbie0312 wrote:

It was from the Cervinia app, which gives real time info on open slopes.
The sector around the Pancheron lift seems most affected. Examples of closed pistes include: Blue 4, Red 29 & 30, Black 59 & 62.
Many are skiing them, but they are not marked or pisted. In many ways they’re somewhat off the normal routes skiers may take and don’t particularly impact on the amount of skiing available.
ski holidays
I have been following this thread with interest, as we planned to travel from the US and arrive Zermatt Jan 12. This is now cancelled, mainly due to frequent flight cancellations possibly disrupting our travel (we have 3 flights to get there). Hoping to reschedule for 2023, I would appreciate thoughts as to the “best” time to come. There are of course many variables, some predictable (European school vacations, longer days in Feb, March), some not (weather, snow conditions, zombie apocalypses). We are boomers on groomers, but our kids would ski off-piste. Thanks for your insights.
ski holidays
drbeier wrote:
I have been following this thread with interest, as we planned to travel from the US and arrive Zermatt Jan 12. This is now cancelled, mainly due to frequent flight cancellations possibly disrupting our travel (we have 3 flights to get there). Hoping to reschedule for 2023, I would appreciate thoughts as to the “best” time to come. There are of course many variables, some predictable (European school vacations, longer days in Feb, March), some not (weather, snow conditions, zombie apocalypses). We are boomers on groomers, but our kids would ski off-piste. Thanks for your insights.

I will give you a fuller response but first spoiler alert: you should come in March. I am a Swiss side of the mountain chap but hopefully the stuff below is relevant to Italy as well:

Early season (Oct/Nov/December): the height means slopes get opened up earlier than most places. No off piste as the area is very rocky (linked to the height).

Xmas/New Year: Zermatt is very busy and is a great place to spend the holidays. Again more likely to have decent snow than many places in the Alps as it is still fairly early season. Tends to be more expensive this two week period obviously. However, it is really, really busy.

January: fairly quiet so can be very pleasant. Main downside is that it is dark: short days and mainly north facing. As long as the link over to Italy is open it is nice going over there as it is south facing and so gets much better sun. Early season means more storms and winds so more link closures. Off piste might be opening up but is still a gamble (it is extremely poor at present for example even though there is an OK amount of snow and pistes are good, if hard packed).

February: getting very nice but busy because of the rolling school holidays across Europe. However it is a big area so even in a super busy week you can have fun. Off piste should be very nice by now.

March: the jewel in the crown. Lots of snow and the height again means little melt even if lower elevation places are suffering. The north facing of the Swiss side which was a disadvantage a couple of months ago is now a real plus. The long days in crisp snow are just superb – also not even that super busy. The off piste should be excellent and the ski touring season will be in full swing if your young ‘uns like that (if they like off piste they should).

April: still surprisingly good in most years for most areas. The lower runs and the south facing runs will be slushy but plenty of good off piste (and the touring is still great). The real high quality piste skiing will not be as extensive for the boomer groomers (it will all be open however).
snow conditions
Edit: I'm seeing in the thread on the piste that worst case scenario I can do a 24 gour lft, if that's the case that's great...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 8-01-22 0:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Going to Cervinia this Sunday, first time skier any advise for the slopes & recommendation for some restaurants, many thx
ski holidays
miscdazc wrote:
Going to Cervinia this Sunday, first time skier any advise for the slopes & recommendation for some restaurants, many thx

You’ll have a great time. Have a look at Chalet Etoile - I was going to suggest Bondatini but it sits just off a red run which might be a bit much for your first time skiing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy