Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
For those not following the thread on this subject in this forum. Good news. We (Brits in my case) are back in.

Quote:
The Federal Council has decided to abolish the quarantine list for the Omikron list. Instead, travelers - regardless of where they come from - have to be tested before entering the country. A PCR test is required. The test must be repeated after four to seven days, but it can also be an antigen test. Those affected have to bear the test costs themselves. The next few days will show whether this also applies to the Swiss. Because the National Council has already called for free tests again. If the Council of States agrees, the Federal Council will not be able to oppose it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good news, too late for me but a positive move.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twoodwar wrote:
Good news, too late for me but a positive move.

Likewise. Good to see they are keeping these requirements until at least the 24th Jan - provides some comfort for those travelling over Xmas and NY.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Run28, yes I think with these things it’s useful to know the rules will be x until y date so we all know where we stand. It’s the bringing in of regulations a day or two before departure that makes things difficult.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know where to take LFT rapid test around Cervinia ?
Last minute rules changes are very annoying …
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cygnus wrote:

Try the Pharmacy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mountains looking very healthy after yesterday’s ‘storm’. Is anyone out in resort and can give an on the ground review of how things are?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just wondered if anyone knows if my (single vaccinated) 15 year old will need to do the daily testing in order to access Cervinia from Zermatt and use the lifts on the Italian side?

As the testing burden rises, we’re at the decision point for our trip on 18 December.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cygnus wrote:

FYI - Having seen this new rule I have booked a test in UK that I can take with me and do over there so I am not spending ski time hunting tests in resort
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
grovsey wrote:
Just wondered if anyone knows if my (single vaccinated) 15 year old will need to do the daily testing in order to access Cervinia from Zermatt and use the lifts on the Italian side?

As the testing burden rises, we’re at the decision point for our trip on 18 December.

It really is quite complicated (or at least seems so to me). The below is my understanding.

As you probably know your son can get into Switzerland OK as an under 16. He probably ought to have some ID to prove his age – even if that is just a phot of his passport on his phone. You can also get onto the Swiss lift system without showing anything. If you are buying an international pass I wonder if the Swiss will do any checking for the Italians? In principle you can not get an Italian ski pass without an Italian green pass. I have an annual pass so the issue has not arisen for me – and won’t do so until mid-Jan when my sons come out (my wife is a non-skier so though she uses the lifts she never goes into Italy).

Once you are on the mountain as a matter of fact rather than law you are “done”. There are no checks on the border and no checks on the slopes. Italian police do ski the Italian side (this is normal – nothing to do with Covid). I wonder if they could do spot checks? No idea – never seen anything like it but this is my first pandemic.

The actual Italian law seems really rough on your son. The good news is that he doesn’t need a super green pass (only fully vaccinated or recovered people can get that). Cervinia is a “white” zone at present. White and yellow zones don’t need the super green pass to get on ski lifts – only orange and red. However, as a matter of law he should have a green pass to be on the Italian side and that means vaccinated, recovered or tested. So for him that means testing. The test is only valid for 48 hours. So depending on how often you want to go over that would mean testing every two days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you so much for a brilliantly comprehensive reply! Alternatively we'll have to pray for some good snowfall in the next 10 days so more of the Zermatt side opens up...
Fingers crossed either way.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have the same issue but other side of the mountain, staying in Cervinia.

Sounds like we can get kids tested every 48 hours in Pharmacy. Seems confusion over whether 1 test will be accepted as vaccinated, Dolomites and Alta Badia seem to say yes but we are trying to get as much evidence we can to prove it.

1. Crappy card that says they were, date, batch and type;
2. School email about dates of testing;
3. nHS text and email showing they had positive PCR test early November - to explain any positive test though testing negative lat flow for last few weeks;
4. Asking GP for letter but not getting very far.

Have tried to ring Cervinia Spa which is the lift pass/ticket office but no answer. Sent email to them and also our hotel but nothing back yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back from a cracking weekend in Cervinia. Everything very well organised and there was only one mountain restaurant where we weren’t asked for proof of vaccine. Pleasantly surprised we were able to ski into Switzerland although eating at the self service restaurant at Trockener Steg was a schoolboy error.

Best advice I can give is book your mountain restaurants in advance and ditto in town as they were staggering some reservations due to covid.

Big shout out to the Igloo Restaurant on the hill, amazing staff, food and service and also the Grivola in Town where Gabriella and her team are awesome and the food and atmosphere great.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"eating at the self service restaurant at Trockener Steg was a schoolboy error." Please explain?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

Try the Pharmacy

Yes pharmacy has it for 30EUR - slot needs to booked couple of days in advance.
ski holidays
@drbeier, anaemic cold bratwurst with rosti that was re-heated in the microwave and all for just CHf20 Laughing
snow conditions
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@drbeier, anaemic cold bratwurst with rosti that was re-heated in the microwave and all for just CHf20 Laughing

Should have gone for the pizza spot instead! Always a crowd pleaser.
snow report
@drbeier, not sure, but for me self service is the error Puzzled
ski holidays
Run28 wrote:
Guernseyfreerider wrote:

Should have gone for the pizza spot instead! Always a crowd pleaser.

I think this is the point - choose something that is less likely to suffer from self service drawbacks. I've often had schnitzel & chips there ith the schnitzel being cooked on the griddle in front of me. Very tasty & quick.
snow report
Next time you are over it might be worth trying Gandegghütte - under new ownership this year and looks like they have pumped a bit of cash back into the place.
snow conditions
Tomorrow’s storm is looking like a good one.

snow report
@Run28, hope so, been twice and wish I hadn’t. Except for the position obviously!
snow report
@Guernseyfreerider, very cheap for Zermatt Very Happy
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
@Run28, hope so, been twice and wish I hadn’t. Except for the position obviously!

One of those places you have to visit at least once. The Gandeghütte is used as a venue for Zermatt Unplugged and it is amazing to go there - never eat there - just grab a drink while watching the acts.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

One of those places you have to visit at least once. The Gandeghütte is used as a venue for Zermatt Unplugged and it is amazing to go there - never eat there - just grab a drink while watching the acts.

Hopefully the new ownership and new chefs etc might breath a bit of life back into the place!
ski holidays
@JohnMo, Hope so! Arriving saturday. If you could turn up the heater just a notch around friday that would be appreciated too. Some of the forecast temperatures look distinctly fresh.....
latest report
Arriving Sat too all being well - bergfex forecast showing high winds but seems ok on other sites - really hoping not to lose great snow conditions to lift / link closures
ski holidays
Have to say all webcams on both sides of the border looking excellent. Many obscured by snow on the lense.
Enjoy the snow those going out shortly snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dgschof wrote:
Arriving Sat too all being well - bergfex forecast showing high winds but seems ok on other sites - really hoping not to lose great snow conditions to lift / link closures

Here are the wind forecasts for Gornegrat and Klein Matterhorn. Gornegrat is central high and exposed. If it is OK there (and it is) then you are going to be good to enjoy the excellent snow that is continuing to dump down as I type.

Klein Matterhorn which is the highest point across the combined area is a different story. Those gusts are strong. It would not be a shock if the Swiss/Italian link was closed on Saturday.

ski holidays
Visibility should be much better next week which will help a lot with opening up the runs.
ski holidays
@JohnMo
Great thanks for that info - so might be Sat to get ski legs back then go at Zermatt later in long weekend Happy
The almost painful anticipation just before is part of the fun right Happy
snow report
dgschof wrote:
@JohnMo
Great thanks for that info - so might be Sat to get ski legs back then go at Zermatt later in long weekend Happy
The almost painful anticipation just before is part of the fun right Happy

Another chunky storm to come through tomorrow. So snow should be superb. Those winds up high seem seem to lasting at least until Sunday - possibly also Monday. So the cross border crossing might stay closed but you should have great conditions on the Swiss side. For a long weekend that is plenty of ski terrain.

snow report
Ooh nice. The home run from Furi into Zermatt is opening on Saturday. That is early. Never one to miss a trick the Hennu Stall apres ski bar just before town is also going to open.
ski holidays
I have been watching this thread for a while. Love the snow updates from those in resort and really appreciate the effort many make to keep all of us updated . Only 3 weeks until we arrive in Cervinia, always assuming that all still goes ahead - which is me touching wood in a suspicious manner!
Although we have been before would love to hear some fun itineraries others have done in a day, we are reasonably competent skiers but enjoy the scenery as much as trying to ski miles in a day.
snow report
Best views of the Matterhorn are from the Zermatt side. On a clear day lunch at Findlerhof or Chez Vrony in Findeln give opportunities for a great view of it. You will be too early in the season for the runs off Stockhorn. Great views from the top of Gornergrat along the glacier towards the Monte Rosa Hut. If you've never done the train from Zermatt up to Gornergrat, that's pretty spectacular albeit time consuming. Gandegge hut pretty impressive too.
latest report
@Debbie0312, just ensure you get timings right, and a solid weather forecast. Suggest leaving Findeln, by 1.30pm latest for peace of mind. A 12.30 booking at latest required at say Findlerhof or Chez Vroney.
snow conditions
@twoodwar, What would be your preferred way back from Findeln? If you were to ski to the Riffelalp station, can you take the track uphill from there to the "village" and then join the piste going down to Furi? I've never done it but seen people go that way and assumed it wasn't too far uphill to walk, but maybe I'm wrong on that.
ski holidays
Debbie0312 wrote:
I have been watching this thread for a while. Love the snow updates from those in resort and really appreciate the effort many make to keep all of us updated . Only 3 weeks until we arrive in Cervinia, always assuming that all still goes ahead - which is me touching wood in a suspicious manner!
Although we have been before would love to hear some fun itineraries others have done in a day, we are reasonably competent skiers but enjoy the scenery as much as trying to ski miles in a day.

In 3 weeks we will still be in the deep dark part of winter. One feature of the Swiss side is that a large part of it is north facing. Over the course of the season that is a good thing. But it does mean it can feel very dark and cold this time of year – particularly in contrast to your base of Cervinia which is mainly south (strictly south west) facing.

If you enjoy the scenery then a nice place to ski at this time of year (and one that is relatively easy to get to from Cervinia) is the Gornergrat sector. You can come over from Cervinia using either the Test Grigia or Theodulpass routes. Stay left heading down towards Furgg. As you approach Furgg if you want to ski the black stay right heading for the old lift station and ski round that. That takes you onto black 62. This is a busy home run late on but should be really nice that time of day (all be it dark). That will take you down to Furi. If you don’t want to ski the black, stay left heading down to Furgg and get on the modern gondola (right side). That will also take you to Furi. At Furi take the Riffelberg Express gondola up to Riffelberg and then the chair lift up to Gifthittli. You now have the Gornegrat sector to play in in the sun (if the sun is out that day of course). Down from Gifthittli there are easy blues and some decent reds with lots of side piste. Below Riffelberg are good reds and also several choices of restaurant if you fancy.

Best of all is to stop at the Iglu Dorf for a drink or a meal. It is a really fun place. It is just down from Gifthittli – stay left:

https://www.iglu-dorf.com/en/location/zermatt?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=zermatt
ski holidays
DCG wrote:
@twoodwar, What would be your preferred way back from Findeln? If you were to ski to the Riffelalp station, can you take the track uphill from there to the "village" and then join the piste going down to Furi? I've never done it but seen people go that way and assumed it wasn't too far uphill to walk, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Yes. You can ski down from Findeln then take the chairlift up the other side to Breitboden. From there you ski down keeping left on piste 27 to Riffelap train station. You cross the train line. There is a short uphill walk but it is maybe 20 yards. From there you walk through the woods on well marked and maintained path on a very gentle incline to the Riffelalp resort area. From there you simply ski down to Furi and head back to Cervinia via the lifts.
snow report
@DCG, JohnMo beats me to it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy