Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
ok. my final comment would be beyond 3 days the any weather forecast for the alps is almost pointless so do not make any decisions based on a 7 day forecast.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kj82 wrote:
ok. my final comment would be beyond 3 days the any weather forecast for the alps is almost pointless so do not make any decisions based on a 7 day forecast.

True specific weather and amounts is basically pointless, but you can get an idea of the trend and what its gonna look like right? what are the chances both forecasts show stormy days and it will turn out ro be a sunny clear days?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Idb1213, wind speeds in your table are probably average wind speeds or the wind speed at a particular moment.

Gusts will be higher, and it's the gusts that will determine whether a lift can open or not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
denfinella wrote:
@Idb1213, wind speeds in your table are probably average wind speeds or the wind speed at a particular moment.

Gusts will be higher, and it's the gusts that will determine whether a lift can open or not.

Sorry but what do you mean by my table and what is gusts exactly?and for final conclusion is it likely that next week mostly lifts will be shut?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wind is just one of many reasons why lifts are closed. Avalanche risk, visibility, all sorts of reasons. It is what it is. That’s the mountains for you any time of year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also cold. We were stopped going higher than Trocknersteg as it was -20c. A Canadian guy complained as he said it was relatively mild Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@twoodwar, yes that’s true, I’ve had lifts closed in Canada before as it’s too cold.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is there a place where one can find out why the lifts were closed on a specific day? Everything on Cervinia side was open at 10 but closed already at 2pm. Luckily we made the right choice by driving to VT.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, asking in the lift office is best if you want to know why and they will tell you
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Idb1213 wrote:
and for final conclusion is it likely that next week mostly lifts will be shut?

As the other guys said, it's hard to forecast that far ahead. Besides, if you can be flexible there are skiing to be done even if some lifts are closed. I had lots of fun with just a few lifts open these two days. Not to mention that I am also a cautious piste skier, but i saw people venturing down closed slopes (where enough snow, just ungroomed) too. If that's boring for you there are always superb mountain restaurants to have a bite and sip some Italian wine. Ok I'm starting to sound like a marketer... Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Exactly, it is what it is. I went to Ischgl one April once, it decided to snow and snow and snow so the lifts were shut for 3 days. There was only a little bit in the forecast but it ended up being much much more. Did I know it was going to happen? No. Could I do anything about it? No. I stayed in and enjoyed some food and drink.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haha yeah that’s true only not after last season it was all closed, need this bad.. So cold can also be a reason? although-20 is not too bad is it? too many variables
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Idb1213, exactly, too much to think about so if you can go then go and don’t worry about it just enjoy it for whatever it turns out to be.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Especially now with this new variant you might lose another season if you don't go when you have a chance..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good news (for those who can get there Sad

ski holidays
@JohnMo, great! I had an email from Crystal last night basically saying that if I didn’t want to go to Cervinia on 12th Dec I could change it to something else free of charge as long as I changed it by 5th Dec. Otherwise it’s on. Unless they then turn around and cancel it due to lack of numbers! They sent that because they think the ‘up to day 2 PCR’ on return to the UK might put some people off going. It makes no odds to me really as I don’t go back to work the very next day after getting back from holidays anyhow, I leave it a bit (self employed so I can) but I am thinking am I going to be able to ski over to Zermatt or not what with this Swiss 10 day quarantine for UK citizens thing.
That’s assuming nothing changes between now and 12th Dec of course.
If I can’t ski the whole area into Zermatt if I want to then I’m not best keen…

I don’t know if skiing over the border into Switzerland (Portes Du Soleil would be another example) ‘counts’ or not!
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@JohnMo, great! I had an email from Crystal last night basically saying that if I didn’t want to go to Cervinia on 12th Dec I could change it to something else free of charge as long as I changed it by 5th Dec. Otherwise it’s on. Unless they then turn around and cancel it due to lack of numbers! They sent that because they think the ‘up to day 2 PCR’ on return to the UK might put some people off going. It makes no odds to me really as I don’t go back to work the very next day after getting back from holidays anyhow, I leave it a bit (self employed so I can) but I am thinking am I going to be able to ski over to Zermatt or not what with this Swiss 10 day quarantine for UK citizens thing.
That’s assuming nothing changes between now and 12th Dec of course.
If I can’t ski the whole area into Zermatt if I want to then I’m not best keen…

I don’t know if skiing over the border into Switzerland (Portes Du Soleil would be another example) ‘counts’ or not!

They are obviously feeling good about the snow. They have brought the Cretaz lift opening back to Wednesday (2nd) now.

I think it is clear that the law applies to crossing into Switzerland by land (and that includes skiing over). At one point there were different rules for entry by air and entry by land but that is not the case with the current rules. There are of course no border checks (in either direction) and I would be 99.9999% certain they will not implement any. If you were currently in Cervinia it would be a personal choice whether to go against the Swiss law and ski in.

However, as more Omicron cases are identified in more countries the distinction between Brits, Dutch, Belgians (currently on the bad list) and others will become meaningless. I think they will open up again or bring in mandatory self-isolation for everyone. If it is the latter, while I have said I am confident they will not bring in border “checks”, it is relatively easy to close the border and not allow anyone from Cervinia to ski into the Swiss area.
snow report
@JohnMo, thanks, meanwhile I emailed the lift company in Zermatt to ask the question directly and they said this:-

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind request, and we are sorry about all these complications.
As long as Italy is not on Switzerland quarantine list, there are no controls from where someone comes into our ski area.
Our protection concept applies in the ski area.
Here the link about more information regarding safety guidelines.

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Information/Coronavirus-safety-guidelines

Enjoy your ski day in Cervinia and maybe in Zermatt.

Kind regards

Renate Juche
Sachbearbeiterin Informations- & Funkzentrale

ZERMATT BERGBAHNEN AG
+41 27 966 01 01
www.matterhornparadise.ch
latest report
Like you say though it’s easy to close the connection whenever they want to.
snow report
I take back what I said. It seems like they have now said that you can enter Switzerland as long as you leave again within 24 hours. Big relief for those transiting through Geneva airport to France. But also means skiing from Cervinia to Zermatt is lawful.

ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
They are obviously feeling good about the snow. They have brought the Cretaz lift opening back to Wednesday (2nd) now.

They are going full power on the snow maker there for sure, while side pistes will not be possible yet looking at the condition now. But it's a great news nonetheless, the walk to the gondola station is just.... Skullie

Btw, today they closed cervinia area the whole day due to high winds (confirmed by ski pass office) again. Everyone rushed to VT Razz
snow conditions
@JohnMo, yeah I knew about the airport situation and that was resolved but it’s good to know the skiing over and back should be ok.

Meanwhile I had a reply from the Zermatt tourist office as I had emailed them and the lift company the same question in case one took longer to reply. They said:-

Thank you for your kind e-mail.

As what we are facing is a very delicate, changeable and unpredictable situation, we please suggest you to visit the federal office public Health web side , to have always up to date and official information.
Moreover ion this web side ( bag.admin.ch)you find phone numbers and e-mails you can contact for any doubts an information.

We thank you for your understanding and hope that you won't cancel your vacation.

Best regards from the Swiss Alps

Zermatt Tourismus
Daniela Capone
Matterhorn - Expertin
Bahnhofplatz 5 | CH - 3920 Zermatt
ski holidays
Winds seems pretty calm today, what’s the reason they dont open lifts?
latest report
They are opening up right now. My message was posted last night
latest report
Hi I’m thinking about a long weekend from 11th dec how many runs are there likely to be open by then? I think it’s about 25km from what I can see currently? Thanks
latest report
jakemanc wrote:
Hi I’m thinking about a long weekend from 11th dec how many runs are there likely to be open by then? I think it’s about 25km from what I can see currently? Thanks

It is way more than 25km! There are 21 km open in the height of summer. Not sure what it is at present (meaning Zermatt, Cervinia and Valtounenche). Probably close to 100km? There are 360km in total so bit by bit it will head up to that. At present neither the Rothorn or Schwarzsee sectors are open. All other sectors are but not all pistes – and definitely not runs down to town (except Breuil-Cervinia). The snow is continuing to fall so by 11 December there is a reasonable chance those two closed sectors will be open – plus more of the pistes in the already open areas. Home runs will not be open on the Swiss side by 11 December and I doubt if they will have opened any of the blacks by then.
snow conditions
Hi the source I used was https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/

It’s seems to be updated very frequently but that’s not to say the source data is correct at an individual resort level.

Thanks
ski holidays
jakemanc wrote:
Hi the source I used was https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/

It’s seems to be updated very frequently but that’s not to say the source data is correct at an individual resort level.

Thanks

This page will tell you on a daily basis what is open. At present (15.00 Swiss time) it is only showing 30 km as most lifts and pistes are now closed and the link to Italy is not open.

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Snow-report#overview
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jakemanc wrote:

So for example today everything that theoretically could be open is open and that is 92 km (out of a total of 360 km peak season pistes).
ski holidays
@Idb1213, Cervinia website currently showing 27 of 28 lifts open and one in preparation. Looks like 50%+ of pistes open
latest report
Sure enough they have got a lot more runs open today in light winds and good visibility
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/
snow report
Does anyone know what the deal with skiing into zermat from Cervinia is with regard quarantine? I.e as a Brit in staying in Cervinia is zermat open to me?
ski holidays
jakemanc wrote:
Does anyone know what the deal with skiing into zermat from Cervinia is with regard quarantine? I.e as a Brit in staying in Cervinia is zermat open to me?

See JohnMo's post further up this thread....
snow conditions
Skied into Zermatt from cervinia these two days. Confirmed no broader control and quarantine needed as John said above. There was quite a bit of snow overnight, condition today was perfect. They've open 92km of pistes according to Zermatt website!
ski holidays
Rothorn/Sunnegga area opens tomorrow (a week late but not bad). 130 km of pistes open.

In the meantime we wait on tenterhooks for the Federal Council meeting today which will either: let us in; (effectively) continue to keep us out; or something else.
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
Rothorn/Sunnegga area opens tomorrow (a week late but not bad). 130 km of pistes open.

In the meantime we wait on tenterhooks for the Federal Council meeting today which will either: let us in; (effectively) continue to keep us out; or something else.

Great news for those who are there.

I'd be amazed if they change the regulations a week after bringing them in. That said, seems like madness to block UK citizens considering the variant is already in Switzerland. Hopefully the Council sees sense and bring in mandatory testing for those arriving and PCR tests to fly etc.

@JohnMo, do you know the timing of the announcement and/or where it will be posted?
snow report
Not sure about timing. To be honest I suspect this forum might be one of the first places you will find it. The newspaper Blick seems to think the quarantine will go for all but the most critical of countries (which would not include the UK). Most people seem to think the government had to react but now it is impossible to differentiate between the different countries: so either blanket ban (unlikely) or get rid of quarantine but toughen up on other measures. As you can imagine the tourist industry is desperate to get the three biggest money spenders (Germans, US and UK) back in in time for Xmas/NY fortnight.
snow conditions
On a happier note this weekend’s storm is looking hopeful.

latest report
@JohnMo, (et al) thanks for all your updates and please keep them coming....the GVA flight changes have turned my short break next weekend (after considering and discounting Andorra in between) into a Milan flight and Cervinia stay. Heading to a hotel I have had on my radar for a while, Albergo Edelweiss. Can't wait!
ski holidays
Fingers crossed Eh oh!
Head out Friday 10th to ski 11-13th
Also watching snow in Val d Sole/Madonna, Monterosa and Sestriere in case need to change plans re Swiss situation to get more options
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy