Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
@Idb1213, as many who are far more expert than I will tell you, no forecast that far out is reliable, however Wetterzentral GFS latest shows a little snow on the 23rd.There is really only a 3 day window for decent reliability, which is pretty much why resort forecasts only go that far out. Have a look at the snow forecast 21/22 thread for stuff on the general picture Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i have always rented a car from Milan & Torino. it always seemed to be the cheapest & least hassle option to me
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kj82 wrote:
i have always rented a car from Milan & Torino. it always seemed to be the cheapest & least hassle option to me

It does surprise me that there is no decent bus service to Cervinia. But as you say car hire tends to be fairly cheap and both Turin airport and Milan Malpensa airports are the “right” side of the cities (north and west respectively). I can understand people not wanting to drive up in the dark. But in the daytime that road up is very good and not a difficult mountain road.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agree @johnmo. we have driven most years since '06 either from home or from the airport. once you are off the motorway (E5 off the top of my head) just keep driving up and you'll end up in Cervinia Happy . zermatt isnt quite so easy to get to in my humble opinion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all, have provisionally booked Turin flights (23rd to 30th Nov) for a Cervinia trip for a two complete beginners and one intermediate group.

I see a couple of pages back that the beginner lift a PM is open? Hoping there's enough for the two beginners to learn from 24th with private lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rachelb wrote:
@Idb1213, If you were still looking for winter tyres on a hire car, we've just booked a car to rent with winter tyres for £206 for the week 4th Dec to 11th Dec. Like you, we found the taxi to Cevinia was very expensive. We booked through discovercars.com

That's a pretty good price compared to public transport! Is it for a manual or automatic car?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kj82 wrote:
agree @johnmo. we have driven most years since '06 either from home or from the airport. once you are off the motorway (E5 off the top of my head) just keep driving up and you'll end up in Cervinia Happy . zermatt isnt quite so easy to get to in my humble opinion.

Zermatt is a considerably longer drive from whichever airport you go to. However the train service to Zermatt is excellent.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matterhorn Express about an hour ago. Rain in town but some good stuff up high.

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rachelb wrote:
@Idb1213, If you were still looking for winter tyres on a hire car, we've just booked a car to rent with winter tyres for £206 for the week 4th Dec to 11th Dec. Like you, we found the taxi to Cevinia was very expensive. We booked through discovercars.com

Thanks that's really helpful, Do you know if the price includes full insurance?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, That was for a manual, but it included extra for returning to a different place, Turin ( our flights were changed).

@Idb1213, No, it's not all the possible insurance but all necessary stuff. As we're only using it 2 out of the seven days we're happy with the basic insurance ( and like to live dangerously!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnMo wrote:
Matterhorn Express about an hour ago. Rain in town but some good stuff up high.

snowHead

Really struggling to make it to Cervinia - looking 1 /1/2 valleys east at 1950 (Crest/Champloluc) there is plenty too! Thems the breaks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Idb1213 wrote:
also, anyone knows a good way to get to cervinia from milan without having to rent a car?(and not use it for a week) i checked and seems like public transportation isn’t comfortable

Public transport in Italy really is a bit of a puzzle to figure out.

In 2017 I went from Milan Malpensa to Cervinia by public transport, and then from Cervinia to Turin Airport.
The trip to Cervinia was a bit long (a few trains up to Chatillon, and from there a bus to Cervinia). As I see now (www.trenitalia.it) the trip from Malpensa to Chatillon would cost €19+ and take at least 3h40. I reckon the Chatillon-Cervinia bus took about 50min.
But on the way back there was a direct bus from (if I'm not mistaken) Chatillon to Turin, which was considerably easier and quicker. That one I found NOT through an official website that displays all public transport options available for your journey (as you'd expect in developed countries), but rather thanks to a PDF file the lady from the hotel sent to me. Here it is for your reference: https://we.tl/t-bjqnv9f6PR (it expires in a week)
But that's over 4 years ago so I doubt the timetable is still the same. As you can see, it was arranged by Savda, Arriva and Sadem, so perhaps if you look these companies up you can find something relevant.

Nevertheless, from my experience, car rentals in Italy are often quite cheap. This Thursday I'm flying to Bergamo (and driving to Cervinia) and the cheapest rental option for 3 days was €22 in total. I've rented cars in Malpensa on other occasions and it was usually quite cheap.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Italy getting puked on. Cervinia must be great!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where can i see how much snow has accumulated from the recent storm at different altitudes?(for cervinia)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not looked recently, but Cervinia website should do this. I will be looking soon
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Not looked recently, but Cervinia website should do this. I will be looking soon

For some reason they say last snowfall was on 10/11 (4/11 on resort level)
latest report
Exciting to see snow lower down there Happy

If anybody can recommend a ski hire shop in Cervinia, I'd be very grateful. Or, perhaps they are all much of a muchness?

Thank you

Max
snow conditions
Idb1213 wrote:

yes Madeye-Smiley the reason is they wait until the days snow has fallen before measuring and reporting it!
As I said earlier there’s very little snow accumulation so far at Cerv town (snow line around 1900 and the storm didn’t push past mountains to the east and was in any case focussed further south eg piedmont) - although go 50m higher and there is a bit more!
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

yes Madeye-Smiley the reason is they wait until the days snow has fallen before measuring and reporting it!
As I said earlier there’s very little snow accumulation so far at Cerv town (snow line around 1900 and the storm didn’t push past mountains to the east and was in any case focussed further south eg piedmont) - although go 50m higher and there is a bit more!

Do you think this storm will lead to any new pistes opening?maybe wider spread?
ski holidays
There’s enough snow higher up - I think 20th most likely as that’s published date for Opening up the Vt area so they should have more staff available to do it and more customers to pay for it.. but these are strange times!
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
There’s enough snow higher up - I think 20th most likely as that’s published date for Opening up the Vt area so they should have more staff available to do it and more customers to pay for it.. but these are strange times!

What do you mean by strange times?
snow report
Idb1213 wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:

What do you mean by strange times?

I’m assuming that in the times of Covid anything can happen! It’s very hard to predict what is going to happen at the moment, in normal years with a good dump of snow more would be opened but now lots of economic factors will come into play - I.e will there be enough people to use the runs and pay for the earlier opening.

Either way….you’ll be fine for your trip. Have faith!
snow conditions
Cool
ski holidays
We are thinking of a brief trip to Cervinia from 26th to 29th November.

I was wondering about accommodation near the Cretaz chair lift (which is currently not running). Does anyone know of when this lift will begin to run?

Thanks
ski holidays
I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine - 26th Nov is still early in the season but if the snow is good and the number are solid in the resort it might get things going faster.
snow report
Honestly i still dont get how they did not open cime bianche and ventina run yet.. looks pretty snowy on the webcams?
snow report
I don't get why they (Cervinia lifts) are not getting their chairlifts running asap - with covid n all... if its financial then that is a risky route they are taking, people are looking elsewhere, what will they do if pictures of crowds* at the cable car / gondola appear again as per last year...? (rhetorical)
* won't take many people / or much to go wrong with their online only purchase system
ski holidays
@Gustavo the Gaper, yes the public transport thing put me off before as I didn’t really want to go with a tour operator. Not sure why someone doesn’t put a bus on, I’ve managed to get a shared transfer for Champoluc easy enough with a set timetable.
Maybe there just isn’t the demand.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the cheapest way to get a ski-pass is on cervinia's website? I found 300 euros per 5 days quite expensive for that early in the season.. (anywhere else is 180-200 euros), anyway to get a cheaper deal?
snow conditions
@Idb1213, for future use, and not wanting to appear smug, we booked with Crystal ski 3 months ago and got a bogof on International passes. Having not used a tour operator for over 20 years, this was an amazing deal. We normally go to Zermatt, but with a beginner in our flock Cervinia made more sense. Transport by train to Zermatt is wonderful, getting to Cervinia by public transport is not. Plus my experience of Italian car hire is that snow tyres are difficult to get.
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
I don't get why they (Cervinia lifts) are not getting their chairlifts running asap - with covid n all... if its financial then that is a risky route they are taking, people are looking elsewhere, what will they do if pictures of crowds* at the cable car / gondola appear again as per last year...? (rhetorical)
* won't take many people / or much to go wrong with their online only purchase system

Cervinia are usually really good at getting stuff open. I don’t understand why they have not opened from Test Grigia down to Laghi Cime Bianche (i.e. the top of the Ventina, number 7). They have the gondolas from Plain Maison to Laghi Cime Biance and the cable car from there to Test Grigia open. What is the point of that if they are not opening the Ventina? It gives a way for Italian based customers to get over to Switzerland. But they can do that via the three chair lifts up from Plan Maison to the Theodulpass. Sure the entry there is slightly trickier for nervous skiers. It is narrower and does a mean hair pin as you come down. But there are very few beginners skiing at this time of year.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:

Cervinia are usually really good at getting stuff open. I don’t understand why they have not opened from Test Grigia down to Laghi Cime Bianche (i.e. the top of the Ventina, number 7). They have the gondolas from Plain Maison to Laghi Cime Biance and the cable car from there to Test Grigia open. What is the point of that if they are not opening the Ventina? It gives a way for Italian based customers to get over to Switzerland. But they can do that via the three chair lifts up from Plan Maison to the Theodulpass. Sure the entry there is slightly trickier for nervous skiers. It is narrower and does a mean hair pin as you come down. But there are very few beginners skiing at this time of year.

Not clear, it seems like cime bianche is deep enough for opening, i guess there are some economic reasons behind this. But again this still doesn't make sense because it only makes people change location, look elsewhere... i already started checking passo tonale/val thorens for an early season experience in case they keep this slow opening going. pretty dissappointing
snow conditions
Maybe postpone a week because i saw end of november has a pretty big storm coming.. But who knows if it'd make them open more stuff or not
snow conditions
Idb1213 wrote:

Not clear, it seems like cime bianche is deep enough for opening, i guess there are some economic reasons behind this. But again this still doesn't make sense because it only makes people change location, look elsewhere... i already started checking passo tonale/val thorens for an early season experience in case they keep this slow opening going. pretty dissappointing

It is only mid-November. The only piste that is not open that one might hope would be open is the top of the Ventina from Testa Grigia down to Laghi Cime Bianche. It is unlikely to be an economic reason keeping that closed. They have the lifts that serve it open and the piste has been getting prepared for weeks (the top bit is on a glacier). In a poorer snow year that piste would open before the Plan Maison ones.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

It is only mid-November. The only piste that is not open that one might hope would be open is the top of the Ventina from Testa Grigia down to Laghi Cime Bianche. It is unlikely to be an economic reason keeping that closed. They have the lifts that serve it open and the piste has been getting prepared for weeks (the top bit is on a glacier). In a poorer snow year that piste would open before the Plan Maison ones.

So you think they might open it by end of month? (Ventina).. Can anyone explain their app? it does not mention all of the pistes (for example there isn’t “ventina” on the pistes list and there are no blue pistes at all) so its hard to track. i was thinking they can also open pistes to salette..
snow report
Idb1213 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

So you think they might open it by end of month? (Ventina).. Can anyone explain their app? it does not mention all of the pistes (for example there isn’t “ventina” on the pistes list and there are no blue pistes at all) so its hard to track. i was thinking they can also open pistes to salette..

I find the Cervinia app not very informative too from that aspect. Try the Zermatt one, they cover piste/lift open status of the Italian side too (and shows ventina status)
ski holidays
Cookiemonsterhahaha wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

I find the Cervinia app not very informative too from that aspect. Try the Zermatt one, they cover piste/lift open status of the Italian side too (and shows ventina status)

Downloaded it, looks great thanks. Do you guys think they would open ventina by end of month?
latest report
Quote:
I found 300 euros per 5 days quite expensive for that early in the season.. (anywhere else is 180-200 euros)

A five day Cervinia pass is shown on the website as €211, not €300 Puzzled

Not sure where you can ski for a bargain €180-200 though...We were in Austria last week - five days at Stubai Glacier currently costs €225 and the same at Hintertux is €257.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 17-11-21 11:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I found 300 euros per 5 days quite expensive for that early in the season.. (anywhere else is 180-200 euros)
€300 does seem rather extortionate Shocked Though not sure where you can ski for a bargain €180-200...We were in Austria last week - five days at Stubai Glacier currently costs €225 and the same at Hintertux is €257.

You’re right, around the €225-€250 mark seems the usual for 5 days. Both times I went to Zermatt I did think it had to be the most expensive ski pass in the Alps but of course you pay a bit more again getting the international pass on the Zermatt side (which you have to do staying in Zermatt otherwise I don’t think it works on the first lift?) because it’s in CHF not €.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

A five day Cervinia pass is shown on the website as €211, not €300 Puzzled

Not sure where you can ski for a bargain €180-200 though...We were in Austria last week - five days at Stubai Glacier currently costs €225 and the same at Hintertux is €257.

Actually i was checking the international pass.. and at early december, but yeah if you go for the national one it does get a bit cheaper, only its not worth it as cervinia side only opened about 3-4 pistes by now..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy