Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
On another thread someone said the NHS cert doesn't read on the Swiss app (the Swiss app doesn't read my NHS Covid QR code, maybe worth you scanning your code with the Swiss app?); the info suggests having to pay CHF30 for the local Canton to issue a Swiss certificate from the NHS one. Also says to allow time to get it - two weeks....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ptex, that’s correct yes, it’s not accepted on the Swiss App.
It is on the French TAC and Italian Green Pass app though so I want to know if these are accepted in Switzerland since both are EU Digital Certificates.

Doesn’t affect me until 12th Dec but it would be good to know the answer.
I think personally I’d just get the Swiss one sorted for 30 CHF and have done with it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ptex wrote:
On another thread someone said the NHS cert doesn't read on the Swiss app (the Swiss app doesn't read my NHS Covid QR code, maybe worth you scanning your code with the Swiss app?); the info suggests having to pay CHF30 for the local Canton to issue a Swiss certificate from the NHS one. Also says to allow time to get it - two weeks....

Will I need the swiss app to get a drink at Geneva airport whilst transiting to France for the PSB?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stevew, if you've got the French TAC you'll be fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah the Swiss.....

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/travellers-to-switzerland-face-increased-costs-as-nhs-covid-app-is-banned-31044
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Suggest another thread for covid testing? A number already exist. A little off topic.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:

Tah
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Taking a quick look at the Summit Ski Instagram page - the snow conditions on the theodulgletscher are looking excellent. Although, amazing to see the change in inclination before the major storms come through and general glacial melt over the summer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve got the Swiss app all loaded a couple of weeks ago when it would take my nhs details etc, I’m assuming that will be ok to still use for my visit in a couple of weeks?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As far as I'm aware the Swiss App isn't compatible with the NHS QR code - it will load up but will say invalid signature.

You will need to go to the local Valais canton and apply for a transfer code. @JohnMo made a post about a month ago detailing what to do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep have done all that and it’s worked so it was compatible when I did it….,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fair enough! You are the only person I know who has successfully done it directly through the APP without the canton code.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

The Irish Covid Tracker app accepts NHS vaccination certificates and gives you an 'EU Compatible Digital Covid Certificate'. I assume it will be ok in Switzerland - does anyone know?

BTW the Irish Covid app doesn't appear in Playstore on my phone - I had to install it by searching in a browser on my pc, signing in to google, then installing it remotely.
Even that didn't work from Chrome for some reason, Firefox was ok.

This is different from UK-jabbed Irish citizens applying for an EU digital covid certificate via the Gov.ie website, which is covered in another thread
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156702#4841611
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit of snow in the forecast on Bergfex Plus
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Bit of snow in the forecast on Bergfex Plus

Yes! They were actually forecasting over half a metre for the coming days, but now it's down to ~20cm...
Planning to go this weekend but the weather is looking a bit uncertain (afraid lifts might be closed or visibility might be 0).
snow report
Its looking rather dry at the moment. Spotted a 'snow making' picture looking at Rothorn from Trock. Lots of grey and brown with a small snake of white dots! Has to start somewhere I guess.
ski holidays
White dots down to Furgg one side (2450m) and below Chalet Etoile (2600m) the other - it'll do... !?

latest report
Polo on the 21/22 wether outlook thread showing the possibility of a fair bit of snow
latest report
Nov 1st/2nd
snow report
Blimey that is a lot different to Bergfex's gloomy 20cm!
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
White dots down to Furgg one side (2450m) and below Chalet Etoile (2600m) the other - it'll do... !?

There is a nice webcam picture right now where you can see the piste bashers working late into the evening on that run from Trockener Steg down to Furgg. There is snow making all the way down so plenty for them to do. With GFS starting to get more confident of snow from Sunday onwards for a couple of days that whole area could look very different by the end of next week.

ski holidays
Run28 wrote:
Great to see the Stafelalp will have finished renovations ahead of the 2021/22 season - I wonder how the Matthiol Group will fare. The menu looks interesting....still blisteringly expensive of course.

https://www.matthiol.ch/en/stafelalp-zermatt

Crikey! now I remember why I stopped skiing Switzerland and upped sticks and headed south, but you are right the food looks interesting none the less.
snow report
A bit off topic but it looks like Switzerland will start to take the NHS covid document as proof of vaccination. Hopefully this stops the need to go through the cantons to verify QR codes on the Swiss App.
latest report
Back on topic - great to see a proper front coming into the Swiss Alps from tomorrow. Bergfex never seems to be right but the c80cm predicted at glacier level will help things!
snow report
Finally booked! Arriving in Zermatt tomorrow, hoping for anything but closed lift or complete whiteout. Will get back here with in-loco updates.

And indeed, next weekend (6/11) is looking insane! Cold, sunny and after a massive dump. This weekend just happened to suit me better but I think next weekend they'll have epic conditions.
snow conditions
@Gustavo the Gaper, Best of luck. I would get out early tomorrow as MeteoSwiss is projecting a decent bank of precipitation coming from the South West as the afternoon goes on. That will mainly benefit the Italian side but there should be enough for everyone. You should not be “whited out” this weekend - GFS is showing the big dump coming Monday into Tuesday. Your big risk is going to be the winds associated with those banks of precipitation. Even today the Klein Matterhorn lift is closed (and the link over from Cervinia). Furggsattel is running (and it has the better skiing in my opinion). However the top lift station for that is right on the ridge so takes a battering from southerly winds even when everything seems calm at the bottom of those runs at Trockener Steg.

ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
@Gustavo the Gaper, Best of luck. I would get out early tomorrow as MeteoSwiss is projecting a decent bank of precipitation coming from the South West as the afternoon goes on. That will mainly benefit the Italian side but there should be enough for everyone. You should not be “whited out” this weekend - GFS is showing the big dump coming Monday into Tuesday. Your big risk is going to be the winds associated with those banks of precipitation. Even today the Klein Matterhorn lift is closed (and the link over from Cervinia). Furggsattel is running (and it has the better skiing in my opinion). However the top lift station for that is right on the ridge so takes a battering from southerly winds even when everything seems calm at the bottom of those runs at Trockener Steg.

That's good to hear, many thanks! I was really wondering what the chances of whiteout were but I can't really read these graphs heheh, so it was mostly just hoping it'd be fine.
And sure it'll suck if some of the lifts is closed, but my main fear is not being able to go up at all (which happened to me there once in 2018).
snow conditions
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
Will get back here with in-loco updates.

Yes, please! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gustavo the Gaper, enjoy. Reports will be welcome
ski holidays
@Gustavo the Gaper, yay.
Forecast looks great I’m not going to Cervinia until 12th Dec but have got Hintertux to look forward to from 6th.
Looks good generally next week.
ski holidays
So... After 15 hours overnight in I don't know how many trains, still on the way to Zermatt, I checked their website and saw the lifts were closed for the day due to the wind.

That was just before I got to Visp, so I hopped on the bus to Saas-Fee instead, because they were open. Got there, bought the ski pass, went to the toilet (I swear that was 5 minutes), and as I was getting ready to take the lift... The lady informed me they were closing the resort due to bad weather. I tried going up desperately but had to come back down. Did hear it was icy, but couldn't really try it myself.

So the day basically consisted of hiking (or more like "randomly wandering around"), skinny dipping in the river, and heading back to Zermatt. Sorry, no snow updates today.

Hope to get back with better news (and actual relevant info) tomorrow.
snow report
Unlucky Sad
latest report
Nice report though...
snow report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
skinny dipping in the river, .
chapeau! Or were you completely naked! Shocked
snow report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
So... After 15 hours overnight in I don't know how many trains, still on the way to Zermatt, I checked their website and saw the lifts were closed for the day due to the wind.

That was just before I got to Visp, so I hopped on the bus to Saas-Fee instead, because they were open. Got there, bought the ski pass, went to the toilet (I swear that was 5 minutes), and as I was getting ready to take the lift... The lady informed me they were closing the resort due to bad weather. I tried going up desperately but had to come back down. Did hear it was icy, but couldn't really try it myself.

So the day basically consisted of hiking (or more like "randomly wandering around"), skinny dipping in the river, and heading back to Zermatt. Sorry, no snow updates today.

Hope to get back with better news (and actual relevant info) tomorrow.

Jesus! Not a great start to your season but I await your updates for next few days with interest
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

I was. But there was no one else there, and I didn't bring extra clothes, so I had to improvise heheh

Now waiting for a decision on whether the lifts will open; more info at 10...
Surprisingly, cause it doesn't seem stormy/windy at all (even on the weather report), but yeah, must be very different up there I guess...
latest report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

I was. But there was no one else there, and I didn't bring extra clothes, so I had to improvise heheh

Now waiting for a decision on whether the lifts will open; more info at 10...
Surprisingly, cause it doesn't seem stormy/windy at all (even on the weather report), but yeah, must be very different up there I guess...

50-60 km/h up on the lower glacier. It it touch and go whether they will get it open at those sort of speeds. I doubt they will get Klein Matterhorn open but I am crossing my fingers for you for Furggsattel.
snow conditions
Anyone know what the snow condition will be like end november-start of december? Based on snow so far, compared to last years, Can we predict what it will be like? Im talking lower elevations, is it a possibilty that by late nov, it will be possible to ski all the way down to resort?
snow conditions
Idb1213 wrote:
Anyone know what the snow condition will be like end november-start of december? Based on snow so far, compared to last years, Can we predict what it will be like? Im talking lower elevations, is it a possibilty that by late nov, it will be possible to ski all the way down to resort?

There was a good bit of snow that allowed the opening of the lower glacier in mid-October. That is about average. However there was then a two week drought which meant, inter alia, that nothing has yet opened on the Italian side. That is disappointing but not massively out of the ordinary. However the October snow (or lack thereof) is not a massive factor in what late November and December skiing is like. There is snow this weekend and more over the next few days.

The Italians will get things opened as and when they can. They are very good like that. The Swiss might get the run down from Trockener Steg to Furgg open. Beyond that the “big”(ish) opening is on 27 November. That is the rule and the Swiss stick to the rules. That opening sees all areas opened up but not all runs.

The runs down to the resort on the Swiss side are never opened until the week before Xmas. But that is no great loss: in general the home runs are not particularly interesting.
snow report
On the Cervinia side, the Valtournenche area is due to open on 20 Nov… this is mid nov 2019 and they opened pistes down to town by then: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3471048&highlight=triggered#3471048

Ymmv Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 31-10-21 10:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy