Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 15 best ski resorts you can reach by train

Poster: A snowHead
Daniel Elkan from Snowcarbon.co.uk just published a detailed article with all the info about getting by train to France and Austria:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/15-best-ski-resorts-can-reach-train-get-book-tickets/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sadly behind a paywall
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/best-ski-resorts-by-train/

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/oct/12/20-best-alps-ski-resorts-by-train-rail-france-switzerland-austria-italy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FrediKanoute, there's a trick with Telegraph pages that if you click stop while it is still loading you can read it before the paywall thing kicks in - have to get the timing right though!

Always find it odd that PDS is mentioned as a destination via TGV to Cluses but never Grand Massif, which is equally, if not closer to Cluses.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's really weird

Same image, same author.

15 resorts in the Telegraph, 20 in the Guardian.

If the list is the same, then one of those papers is going to be disappointed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Booked my train tickets for the first of my trips to Montgenevre last night as it happens.

The return leg for my February trip aren’t available yet, so that one will have to wait.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From personal experience,

London to Munich (approx 10hrs)
Munich to Bayrischzell (approx 1 hr)

Stay at Alpenrose Bayrischzell about 100m from the train station

Ski the Wendelstein Ski Area by taking the train one stop back (approx 10 mins)

Short bus ride to Sudelfeld Ski Area (approx 10 mins)

Tarin and bus ride combo to get to Spitzingsee Ski Area (approx 1hr)

I went in February half-term and didn't queue once

3 great and very different ski areas

Very reasonable prices and superb value for money

Highly recommended
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To access almost any paywalled site just add www.archive.is/ before the web address of the article you are trying to read...

https://archive.is/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/15-best-ski-resorts-can-reach-train-get-book-tickets/

(shortened address ) https://archive.is/m0kAC
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or to access paywalled sites…search google for ‘iamadev’ and install the extension for chrome / Firefox / edge.

It will bypass a lot of paywalled sites, Telegraph/ FT etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sheffskibod, thank you for that - works just fine. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By the way, the article is wrong. The TGV to Oulx is currently on sale up to mid Feb.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's a new Austrian climate train ticket that costs just €90 more than I am currently paying a year (€860+€90 = €950) that I could use to get from places such as St Antom and Zell am See. Could use the night train each way to St Anton, stay Sat night in a hotel and still get back for working from home on Monday morning. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sheffskibod wrote:
To access almost any paywalled site just add www.archive.is/ before the web address of the article you are trying to read...

https://archive.is/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/15-best-ski-resorts-can-reach-train-get-book-tickets/

Brilliant

Made my day

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a tube map-style summary of all the ski resorts accessible by train (a lot!) from 2thealps.com.

http://www.2thealps.com/images/The%20Alps%20Sking%20Map_800.jpg

I think the online image is deliberately low quality - they want you to buy a copy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
j b wrote:
There is a tube map-style summary of all the ski resorts accessible by train (a lot!) from 2thealps.com.

http://www.2thealps.com/images/The%20Alps%20Sking%20Map_800.jpg

I think the online image is deliberately low quality - they want you to buy a copy.

There is a slightly clearer version in one of their tweets from Jan 2018... might be a little out of date . https://twitter.com/2thealps/status/950390913381040128/photo/1
snow conditions
sheffskibod wrote:

That is awesome Smile
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyred,

Wow, that's brilliant.
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, yes that is clearer.

What seems odd about the article that kicked off the thread is that it majors on resorts that can't directly be accessed by train. Sure places like Morzine can be reached by bus from Cluses train station (I have done it) but that takes about an hour; if you allow that you could list almost anywhere.

I would have thought you could easily come up with a list of 15 good ski resorts that can be reached using only trains and intra-resort transport. Plenty in Switzerland; Les Arcs (BourgSM), Chamonix valley, Serre Chevalier (Briancon) in France; Pila (Aosta) in Italy; Garmisch in Germany; I am less familiar with Austria but I am sure there are several.
snow report
I like the idea of going by train but being a bit picky/contentious the first entry for Nendaz is three train journeys and then a taxi ride. Second one, Adelboden is four train journeys and then a taxi ride. And doing this with luggage and ski bag. And that's not taking into the account the train journey to St Pancras which for me isn't too bad but I can imagine not so easy for others. That's a tough gig even if you can do it for £200.
snow report
j b wrote:
.. What seems odd about the article that kicked off the thread is that it majors on resorts that can't directly be accessed by train. ...
I would have thought you could easily come up with a list of 15 good ski resorts that can be reached using only trains and intra-resort transport....

Precisely this. Oh, it's the Torygraph.

Zermatt is obviously one they needed to list as you can't drive there.

I'd try Vall de Núria too, although you have to drive to the station for that one so it doesn't count,
although it would still be a better choice than those listed. Is Johnson moonlighting as a "journalist" again?

https://archive.is/m0kAC
latest report
It's all a bit of fluff really. Wolkenstein (which they call Selva) takes almost 24 hours and you can only do it on certain days of the week. I can just imagine this discsuuion: Journalist to editor. I can do this article for you all I need is a couple hours of research on thetrainline.com , a copy of where to ski and snowboard and a map to investigate busses.
ski holidays
Here's a french version about the 15 best french resorts you can reach by train:

https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/montagne/ski-ces-stations-facilement-accessibles-en-train-20211006
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Here's a french version about the 15 best french resorts you can reach by train:

https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/montagne/ski-ces-stations-facilement-accessibles-en-train-20211006

They have a different idea "reaching by train" than I do for most of the resorts they mention.

It should be called "half a dozen resorts that are a right faff to reach by train", especially when you factor in the unreliability of French trains (strikes, clapped out hardware etc).

For example: in the Massif Central, le Mont Dore, which has a railway station but presumably closed is now a long transfer by bus on icy mountain roads with nothing listed for the winter weekends but the journalist doesn't mention Le Lioran which has a railway station at the bottom of the pistes. There is still a train service although you need to change. Again only 1 train a day at weekends.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 8-10-21 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
anything that involves a 30-40 min taxi/bus ride is not a resort you can reach by train.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
anything that involves a 30-40 min taxi/bus ride is not a resort you can reach by train.

plus anything that involves schlepping skis across Paris is not "train accessible"
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

plus anything that involves schlepping skis across Paris is not "train accessible"

What a strange thing to say.

Surely it depends where your journey starts.
By this logic no resort is accessible by train if my journey starts in Ibiza.
But if I start in Lyon, then it comes down to the proximity to ski lifts from the last train-accessible point. Which I think is the point.

Agree 100% with the Bus / taxi part though.

Fo example one can get the train all the way to Champery (PdS), with the train station and Telecabine station being the same place ( a bit like Le Chable - Verbier) so that is train-accessible, but for Morgins one has to get off the cog in Troistorrents, and do the last 10 KM on the Post Bus, so that is not.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Does that apply to planes too? If so, the only resorts you can access by plane are Courchevel, St Moritz, Verbier and Zermatt.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Does that apply to planes too? If so, the only resorts you can access by plane are Courchevel, St Moritz, Verbier and Zermatt.

not sure what point you are trying to make.
More resorts than that have an airfield close by.

I can get a train to Cardiff Airport.
It just involves a 20-30min bus or taxi ride.

If Ryanair wanted to branch out into ryantrains......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me the question is not "is there a train station in resort", it's "can I reach the resort in a reasonable timescale without needing to fly". and to that end, I'd certainly say that all the resorts mentioned above are train accessible.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

not sure what point you are trying to make.
More resorts than that have an airfield close by.

I can get a train to Cardiff Airport.
It just involves a 20-30min bus or taxi ride.

If Ryanair wanted to branch out into ryantrains......

There's not many that are a 30 minutes bus/taxi ride from an airport.
snow report
One of the key questions I ask when choosing a resort: is there a railway station in the resort? Arosa, Engelberg, St Anton, Kitzbuhel, many others in Switzerland and Austria (not so many in France) tick that box.
snow report
nbt wrote:
For me the question is not "is there a train station in resort", it's "can I reach the resort in a reasonable timescale without needing to fly". and to that end, I'd certainly say that all the resorts mentioned above are train accessible.

So what you're saying is a resort that YOU can get to without needing to fly. This is very personal, as it depends where YOU start YOUR journey.

Whereas the question you raise : "is there a train station in resort ?" is more meaningful as a storyline it applies to everybody and not just you.

I understand the underlying idea as being about going skiing without using planes, busses or cars.
This is a bit of a strange angle as unless you live within half a mile of a train station, then you're gonna be starting your journey in a car or bus anyhow, especially if you are taking skis / boots.
snow report
The spreadsheet on the shared transfers thread on this site lists all the (Alps) resorts in France / Italy / Austria with a train station.
snow report
Railway station!!!! Sad
snow report
Thing is the resorts in the Tarentaise don't have a railway station but clearly they are very railway friendly because of their proximity to a mainline railway to Paris, northern France, UK.
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:

By this logic no resort is accessible by train if my journey starts in Ibiza.

that is a very profound observation you've made there. You can add the Canary Islands to your list if you like.
snow report
LOTA wrote:
One of the key questions I ask when choosing a resort: is there a railway station in the resort? Arosa, Engelberg, St Anton, Kitzbuhel, many others in Switzerland and Austria (not so many in France) tick that box.

Same
I hate paying £100 transfers for france, when I can jump on a train in Austria for less than £20
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
LOTA wrote:

Same
I hate paying £100 transfers for france, when I can jump on a train in Austria for less than £20

Me too. I enjoy a railway transfer too, especially from airports like Zurich, Geneva and, to a lesser extent as a short bus ride is required, Innsbruck.
snow conditions
Quote:

Add Whistler to that list
snow conditions
Disappointing that none of the Scandi resorts are included. Åre - train directly to the centre of the resort, 5 mins walk to accommodation and lifts. Lillehammer/Kvitfjell - station at the bottom of the Olympic downhill run.

Admittedly, it's a bit of a trek by train from the UK ( Åre can be done in 2.5 days) but no other form of transport required once you're in the first train.
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy