Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil = massively overrated?

Poster: A snowHead
Ozboy wrote:
In all seriousness we should look at a date that does not clash with EU school holidays to ensure I have a flight booked for that weekend.

Me too - never skied Abondance or St Jean.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mjit, never been in all my time there. Self service is my red flag so I avoid.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy from embsay wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
In all seriousness we should look at a date that does not clash with EU school holidays to ensure I have a flight booked for that weekend.

Me too - never skied Abondance or St Jean.

I've not made it to Abondance yet but have done St Jean. Worth doing, but only really so you can say you've done it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Mjit, never been in all my time there. Self service is my red flag so I avoid.

None of my visits have been my choice either...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mjit, i would happily hike up on foot to Vaffieu or sit on that slow as hell chair thats getting replaced to get there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Nadenoodlee, I assume ts de fys. Is it being replaced?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Mjit, i would happily hike up on foot to Vaffieu or sit on that slow as hell chair thats getting replaced to get there.

We had a wander about up there a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they’re cracking on with the Belvedere replacement.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timc wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, I assume ts de fys. Is it being replaced?

No, Belvedere I think - the super slow chair across the plateau above the magic carpet. Fys is still there (well it was a fortnight ago).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was me hoping they'd be replacing fys Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timc, two years ago there was a plan to stick a new chair on the front of Pleney but that didnt happen. We drove up to look at the new landscaping for the red down from Pointe de Nyon- looks fab! Should appeal to the 3V skiers who dont like anything windy or narrow Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Nadenoodlee, I'm still not sure what was wrong with the original Pointe de Nyon ... i.e. before the last change Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Timc, two years ago there was a plan to stick a new chair on the front of Pleney but that didnt happen. We drove up to look at the new landscaping for the red down from Pointe de Nyon- looks fab! Should appeal to the 3V skiers who dont like anything windy or narrow Laughing Laughing

I’ve been up there a couple of times this summer - have they just made it wider? It still looked like a ziggy zaggy track to me?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Biggest problem is that it is basically a low altitude area ,the highest skiing is Avoriaz and that gets notoriously busy in high season periods .The investment that will be required in the future in snow making to keep the links going is going to be high
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Biggest advantage is that it is a low altitude resort that seldom gets shut down due to wind unlike a lot of the highest resorts. Yes, Avoriaz gets busy in high season but so do most big French resorts.
The investment in snowmaking has in general already been made with coverage for the vast majority of pistes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timc wrote:
Biggest advantage is that it is a low altitude resort that seldom gets shut down due to wind unlike a lot of the highest resorts. Yes, Avoriaz gets busy in high season but so do most big French resorts.
The investment in snowmaking has in general already been made with coverage for the vast majority of pistes.

I am talking about the future, temperatures are increasing and the present snow making machines need sub zero temps,they will have to invest in machines that produce snow at plus zero,its happening already that in low altitude resorts there are less days than 10 years ago when the guns can be turned on
latest report
Jill t wrote:
Timc wrote:

I am talking about the future, temperatures are increasing and the present snow making machines need sub zero temps,they will have to invest in machines that produce snow at plus zero,its happening already that in low altitude resorts there are less days than 10 years ago when the guns can be turned on

Global warming does not necessarily mean the end of sun-zero nights in winter! I think increasing humidity levels is a bigger issue and the limiting thresholds are being addressed by modern snow making equipment. FWIW Chatel has already invested in two Snow Factories that allow production of snow at above zero temperatures.
ski holidays
I know that I am not a huge Les Gets fanboy (apart from Mt Chery), but one of the huge benefits of being "low" is that the pistes are on grassy pasture, so you only need a few cm of snow to be able to Ski.
Contrast this with high altitude rock-scapes, where you need at least 1.5 - 2m minimum.
Also low resorts have trees and a soul.
My recollections of skiing in Tignes Val Claret aren't great: cold, bleak, windswept, barren, inhospitable - and it was just the same out on the slopes.
latest report
For my tuppence worth I’ve been to Chatel 3 times. IMO better than staying in Morzine as way less busy. Stayed in a fab chalet and the owner dropped us off and collected us every day. No queues, the slow old 2 man lifts on the Swiss side I found charming and likewise the odd bus trip. I liked the town oF Chatel, not that much going on but enough for an oldy like me. The 3V is fantastic skiing no doubt but the rustic charm of the PDS I found quite appealing. Would defo go back.
snow report
Fifespud wrote:
For my tuppence worth I’ve been to Chatel 3 times. IMO better than staying in Morzine as way less busy. Stayed in a fab chalet and the owner dropped us off and collected us every day. No queues, the slow old 2 man lifts on the Swiss side I found charming and likewise the odd bus trip. I liked the town oF Chatel, not that much going on but enough for an oldy like me. The 3V is fantastic skiing no doubt but the rustic charm of the PDS I found quite appealing. Would defo go back.

I've not done 3V yet so don't know how it compares on this front but what makes the PdS work so well for so many people is the fact that there's so much variety between the resorts themsleves.
- Want a small, real village resort that's got a little bit of apres and a good range or independent restaurants that's ideal for young familes? Stay in Les Gets.
- Want much the same but ski in/out? Stay in Avoriaz.
- Adults/older families looking for somewhere with a bit more 'action' in the evenings? Stay in Morzine.
I've only 'passed through' the other resorts but sounds like Chatel might be similar to Les Gets but better for "Not going out" adults, as they are likely to cover the miles than those with young families so benefit from being in the heart of the area.
snow report
achilles wrote:
For some reason back then few of the French liked crossing the border, so the Swiss side was blissfully quiet.

Because you need a full PdS Pass or Evasion Pass depending on which bit of CH you were heading for.
The Old school Chatel pass covers
Chatel, Super Chatel, Petit Chatel, Chalet Neuf, Linga, Plaine Dranse Pre La Joue, but not Lindarets or anything Swiss.
Why would a French person pay extra to ski in another country when obviously France has the best skiing in the world ?
ski holidays
Only stayed in Portes du sol/chatel once, very early season (1st or 2nd week in Jan). We had bucket load of rain while the high altitutude resorts such as tignes had poo-poo loads of fresh snow, pay your money you take your chances.... Although snow was better higher up in PDS we always wished we were somewhere higher. Not much going on in chatel but that was fine for us, nice chalet the owner dropped us of and picked us up when we needed. Never got as past morzine so cant comment on there.
latest report
So what's the general feeling on staying in Prodains, specifically the Hotel Les Lans? We're a group of intermediate piste skiers, who like to go different places. Is it an easy walk to the Prodains lift?
ski holidays
I stayed in a Chalet in Prodain once, before the new lift. I had a great time but there’s f all to do. You have to negotiate Avoriaz and if the snow is poo-poo in Morzine the rest of the world is doing that too. There are some steepish reds to overcome, if it’s busy they can pretty scraped off by nervous skiers forced to do the same, straightforward for more confident folks but in our chalet there were 3 or 4 who found it very stressful at the beginning/end of the day. If for all of you that, and the 1 quiet pub that’s walkable, is fine then crack on. As I said the quick access to the top of Avoriaz suited me down to the ground, however I much preferred staying over in the east of the PdS in Chatel.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
So what's the general feeling on staying in Prodains, specifically the Hotel Les Lans? We're a group of intermediate piste skiers, who like to go different places. Is it an easy walk to the Prodains lift?

If it’s the hotel I’m thinking off and at that point in time there was only 1, then it was an easy walk.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Can't comment on the hotel, but Prodains is pretty quiet, and the bus in to and out of Morzine is done by around 9pm. If you're happy to work around the buses and or arrange taxis in/out of Morzine, then the access up in to Avoriaz and beyond is good. Makes for a much quicker uplift time than coming from Morzine, but personally i'd take the longer time and be in Morzine.
snow report
swskier wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Can't comment on the hotel, but Prodains is pretty quiet, and the bus in to and out of Morzine is done by around 9pm. If you're happy to work around the buses and or arrange taxis in/out of Morzine, then the access up in to Avoriaz and beyond is good. Makes for a much quicker uplift time than coming from Morzine, but personally i'd take the longer time and be in Morzine.

Quiet is fine. We'd be there to ski. We very rarely leave our accommodation after dinner. Is skiing access ok to both sides of the area?
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Quiet is fine. We'd be there to ski. We very rarely leave our accommodation after dinner. Is skiing access ok to both sides of the area?

From Prodains you're straight on to the lift up to Avoriaz, from there it's easy to head wherever you want on that side. In terms of the Pleney area of Morzine and over to Les Gets, you'd have to get a bus and the Ligne A runs straight to the Pleney lift in about 10 minutes and there's a bus every 10 minutes between 8:30 and 11:00.
ski holidays
Have I understood the ski map right that you can't ski down to Morzine form the Prodains side, and that even if you catch the Super Morzine lift down, there's a bit a trek across town to the lifts taking you up to the Morzine / Let Get ski slopes?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, exactly, there isn't a piste taking you down the route of Super Morzine, you have to use the lift. And you end up on the other side of the town so you still need to walk or take the little tourist train to the Pleney lift for Les Gets etc. Much easier to do as @swskier suggests and simply take the free shuttle bus from Prodains which drops off at Pleney.
snow conditions
j b wrote:
@sugarmoma666, exactly, there isn't a piste taking you down the route of Super Morzine, you have to use the lift. And you end up on the other side of the town so you still need to walk or take the little tourist train to the Pleney lift for Les Gets etc. Much easier to do as @swskier suggests and simply take the free shuttle bus from Prodains which drops off at Pleney.

Thanks j b. Any thoughts on Les Prodains for a base for a group of intermediate skiers and boarders in mid - late January?
snow conditions
I did a season there, and wouldn't rush back, it's a bit too low. Highest lifts are about 2000m, the lifts start at 2000m in Zermatt by comparison. I think I got fed up skiing on slush and went home early in March.
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:
Highest lifts are about 2000m, the lifts start at 2000m in Zermatt by comparison.

That's a bit of an exaggeration - Portes du Soleil goes up to 2250m and Zermatt lifts start at about 1630m. Obviously Zermatt has a much higher ski area overall.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Have I understood the ski map right that you can't ski down to Morzine form the Prodains side, and that even if you catch the Super Morzine lift down, there's a bit a trek across town to the lifts taking you up to the Morzine / Let Get ski slopes?

Well the mayor's big plan is for a gondola all the was from Prodains into Morzine...though nobody's quite sure what drugs he was on at the time Eh oh!

You can't ski from Prodains to Morzine - but assuming you're staying there and heading in to Morzine in the morning to ski Morzine/Les Gets the bus going that way will be empty, steps from your front door and drops you 30m from the Pleney gondola.

And if you do ski over yes it's the wrong side or Morzine for the Pleney but people make way to much of it. The "A bit of a trek" is a 10 min walk in ski boots. It's certainly quicker to walk than wait for he little free train.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Thanks j b. Any thoughts on Les Prodains for a base for a group of intermediate skiers and boarders in mid - late January?

Most of Porte de Soleil is brilliant for intermediate skiers, and mid-late Jan gives you a good chance of decent snow down to the lower resort bases.

My impression (I haven't stayed there myself) is that Prodains would feel a bit isolated as a centre. It doesn't really have any advantage over Avoriaz (except possibly cost) and intermediates are not going to want to cross to the Swiss sector via the Swiss Wall black run so would either have to download on the chairlift or take a longer route round. Plus Morzine being in the way of easy access to the Pleney-Nyon-Ranfollie-Les Gets sector which is stuffed with lovely blue and red runs, though as pointed out above is easier to get to by bus than on skis.

Morzine is the obvious centre, but if your budget means you won't be anywhere near the lifts and need to take a bus anyway then Prodains would be no worse if you weren't worried about access to restaurants etc.

(@Mjit's point about the proposed gondola link directly from Prodains to Morzine is true, but is one of many proposed lifts all over the Alps that were ever only wishful thinking and whose chances have diminished following Covid).
ski holidays
j b wrote:
….Most of Porte de Soleil is brilliant for intermediate skiers……

It doesn't really have any advantage over Avoriaz (except possibly cost) and intermediates are not going to want to cross to the Swiss sector via the Swiss Wall black run so would either have to download on the chairlift or take a longer route round.

From Prodains all you need is to take the new lift and follow with the (slow) chair to the ridge, ski a blue or red and take French Mosettes. Then blue, red or black and you’re in Les Crosets.

Yes, good for intermediates.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, for what it's worth, the run from Avoriaz down to Prodains is a nice tree lined run which makes for an enjoyable end to the day.

Personally though, I'd chose to be in Morzine, but as you say you don't leave the hotel post 4/5pm then it might be no issue to you at all. It's good access to Avoriaz and beyond, and if you want to ski the Morzine/Les Gets side, as mentioned by @Mjit, the bus will be empty in the morning as they're predominantly used by Morzine based skiers going up to Avoriaz via the Prodains lift.
snow report
j b wrote:

I kinda think the opposite, but thats because I am. boarder not a skier.
First off Prodains is not a great location. It's in the shade most of the day so its cold, the home run can be icy / choppy, is its on a a busy road, and there's really nothing much there to see or do.
But if you want to stay there - then hey thats cool.

As a boarder, the walk from SM Gondola base to Plenney lift is a simple 5 minute stroll in comfy boots carrying one bit of kit, rather than Robocopping it through town like an extra from the plank. Also you get the ride the wide open pistes above SM, Zorre / Tetras and Proclou. Rather than inhaling the diesel fumes in the bus turning circle and sitting on a stuffy bus with all your kit - again if you like that kinda thing thats fine.

Also as a boarder the terrain, the parks and the Boarder Crosses are much better in Avoriaz, Champery, Lindarets, Les Crossets, Chatel, Linga than in Plenney / Les Gets, so there's very little reason to go over that way, unless you fancy a nice lunch, or there's good snow on Chery Nord.

Also, the route to Switzerland via the new (slow?) lift is not necessary, just take the Prolays run from Tour then hang a right half way down, and use Mosettes.
The new lift is useful if you are lapping the Abricotine valley run, and do not want to go over all the flat stuff down to Lindarets.

If you want to go to Avoriaz, then I would stay in Avoriaz. If you want to go to Morzine, then stay in Morzine, if you want to be a Morzine satellite, then I would choose Ardent over Prodains.
latest report
If you're not going out in the evenings and want somewhere where you can hear the snow falling at night rather than people coming and going till all hours then Prodains would make a good base, just a gondola away from Avoriaz/a bus from Morzine.

Again if that is your thing you might also want to look at Ardent as well. Similar set-up with a gondola up to the Lindarets bowl/bus to Morzine.
Or if you're budget conscious you could also give Montriond. More village than hamlet but still quiet - but less ideal unless you have your own transport/are late risers as the early busses to Ardent will be full by the time they get to you so will just drive past.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy