Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

My Son is planning on doing his instructor course in Switzerland in Feb but wants to go to Switzerland before and do a month or so of skiing. He has accommodation already.

What I cannot seem to fathom is the likely hood of him getting a visa to stay longer than 90 days. Has anyone done/doing this or has stupid Brexit ruined it for ever.

Cheers

Tim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tima, try contacting the Cantonal authorities directly and ask them. I know people in Verbier managed to get Visa extensions this way although I think they had extenuating circumstances to justify.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-07-21 7:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tima, I‘ve not done this exactly, but the Swiss are usually fairly pragmatic. If he can demonstrate that he has the funds to support himself for the duration of the stay, they may very well allow it and give him a resident only (i.e. non-working) L permit to stay in Switzerland a bit longer. However, he might also need Swiss health insurance to cover the whole stay in that case. It depends on the canton so I would advise him to contact the cantonal migration office of the canton where he will be staying, explain the situation and ask them. They are usually helpful and will usually find someone who speaks English.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Tim, it's looking like this will be difficult post Brexit. There are visas available for stays longer than 90 days for study in Switzerland for example, but the ski instructor courses don't meet the government's requirements for issuing these. It would be best to speak to the course provider because they would have to do the paperwork on his behalf anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.ch.ch/en/retirement-or-study-switzerland/

Third-country nationals
Citizens of non-EU-26*/EFTA** countries must meet the following criteria:

They must apply for a visa with a Swiss diplomatic/consular mission in the country of residence.
They have adequate financial resources to cover the cost of living in Switzerland so as to ensure that they will not become dependent on welfare benefits, and
They have a health insurance policy that also includes accident coverage.

Students must also submit the following documents with their visa application:

Personal study plan with information about the purpose of studies,
Confirmation of enrolment with a recognised educational institution,
Personal curriculum vitae,
Confirmation that they will leave Switzerland at the end of their education and training.

Swiss health insurance costs about CHF250 a month. I think the crucial factor will be whether the authorities regard the instructor course as a recognised educational institution.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys for all your replies. I have to say that I currently hate Brexit. It is a really annoying situation for us as where we live we never technically part of the EU or UK so didn’t even get a vote on Brexit. Guess with all this going on it is technically the death of the ski bum in Europe. Sad He was supposed to be going to Japow for the course where he would have done course then had a job for rest of season. Got cancelled due to Covid (not another thing Sad) so offered place in Switzerland. Desperately trying to make his season dreams come true but being foiled at every avenue at the moment.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 29-07-21 11:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure what training courses are running at the moment but if your son can do his L1 (or higher) in the UK - my son did his L1 at Hemel a few years ago. He can then apply for jobs with one of the ski schools in Japan, assuming that they are recruiting at the moment. My son worked for Go Snow in Niseko in 2019/20 season - had a fab time before Covid hit. It is much cheaper / better to do that than to use one of the train for a job schemes, particularly if he is already a decent skier. He was with people on the training schemes, he earned more, was given more teaching hours and didn't have the pressure of having to pass a course!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tima,
Not the death of the ski bum in Europe; it looks like it has just gone back to the pre 'free movement' days of visas (and work permits for workers rather than bums).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tima wrote:
Thanks guys for all your replies. I have to say that I currently hate Brexit. It is a really annoying situation for us as where we live we never technically part of the EU or UK so didn’t even get a vote on Brexit. Guess with all this going on it is technically the death of the ski bum in Europe. Sad He was supposed to be going to Japow for the course where he would have done course then had a job for rest of season. Got cancelled due to Covid (not another thing Sad) so offered place in Switzerland. Desperately trying to make his season dreams come true but being foiled at every avenue at the moment.

A bit of advice. Crack on with the paperwork. You can still do anything you want as long as you fill in the necessary bits of paper. Get in touch with the Swiss embassy and ask them for some help.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 30-07-21 8:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did a placement in Switzerland a couple of years ago, and the line was that you could be classed as a tourist if you were there to do a qualification. If I'd have been doing paid work as part of that, I'd have needed a permit (this is pre-Brexit as well, so the need for a permit for certain things is not new).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Valais Tourist Board has a useful page on Working in the Valais, with summaries on how to go about registering etc., and links to the relevant sites.

There's a page on the various different permits than foreigners can apply for on the Permits page.

As mentioned, the Cantonal Authority, such as for the Valais will be one of the key routes to getting a work permit/visa. But as also mentioned, this should really be being handled by the prospective employer, who will be used to what permits and visa are needed from which authority, and particularly, in what sequence.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy