Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone succesfully claimed compensation for a flight delay?

Poster: A snowHead
... and how did you do it.

We were delayed by 11 hours by Monarch airlines last Sunday. I would quite like a few quid back.

Correspondence with the tour operator is drawing a blank. Did I ought to contact the airline? My understanding is that the contract is with the tour operator (and they have all the ABTA bonding and wotnot, so assume that the complaint is with them and then they counter-complain with the airline that they have a charter contract with?)

Help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got my expenses back after a 24 hour delay at Christmas from the TO. Sent a letter with copies of the receipts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Delays of over 3 hours are eligible for compensatory payment in and of themselves aren't they?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What do the regulations say regarding the airline's responsibility in terms of delays like that? I once got £700 compensation (£350 each) for a 3 day delay, but that was from my travel insurance not the airline.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ME and Mrs Boyd for compensation from Virgin for a 12 hour delay some years ago after the catering truck ran into the aircraft we were due to board. We approached the airline direct and received a payment plus 30% off a Virgin future flight. Also check you holiday insurance as many of the premiums pay out additional cash for delays.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Technique, have you read this: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Depends on whether the delay was unavoidable so if you are going to go for it, expect a lot of flannel. I had a set-to with SAS a few years ago but lost the will to live in the discussions with them and their excuses, in the end deciding simply never to fly with them again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Technique wrote:

We were delayed by 11 hours by Monarch airlines last Sunday. I would quite like a few quid back.

Correspondence with the tour operator is drawing a blank. Did I ought to contact the airline? My understanding is that the contract is with the tour operator (and they have all the ABTA bonding and wotnot, so assume that the complaint is with them and then they counter-complain with the airline that they have a charter contract with?)

Help!

Yes we did.

Yes contact the airline. We took this route even though it was part of a package hol.

I strongly recommend you to post this query on the Flightmole forum and read everything and take advice from there.

One hitch is that cases like this are currently on hold pending a ruling from the European Court of Justice (IIRC) so you may not get a payout at all if they rule in favour of the airlines, if you do it may be delayed for as long as this process takes. I would start the ball rolling now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Technique wrote:

Help!

Who was the TO? Monarch had a lot of issues last Sunday...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I won't say who the TO was here (you can deduce who it was from some of my other recent posts). I don't suppose our resort rep conspired to cause an Airbus flight computer to fail.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
About 20 years a girlfriend and I had a 24 hour delay on a Virgin flight. We was in Florida waiting to come home but the plane coming out had problems and turned back to the UK. They put us up in a hotel for the night with food and gave us 2 tickets to fly with Virgin anywhere in the World. Split up with that girlfriend and never saw those tickets.... rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My enquiry with the tour operator has been met with a complete blank, pig ignorant, silence.

Have now mailed Monarch themselves...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Technique,have you tried phoning them?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not yet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doss, missed out on the same deal about 10 yrs ago (the flight, not the girlfriend) again with Virgin who'd overbooked a flight and were offering free tickets to anyone willing to miss the flight and postpone, too slow getting my hand in the air...

...and another Yes to sucessful claiming for a flight problem. Air Canada flight from Calgary experienced fuel pump problems on the return leg and had to go back an hour into the flight. overnight accomodation, food, insurance claim (which was miserly as delay was only 24h) and a shedload of free airmiles which turned into C$200 worth of AMEX vouchers on next trip to Canada.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Technique, expect to exchange correspondance with them for a few months, have you been on Flightmole yet?
ski holidays
Boyd wrote:
ME and Mrs Boyd for compensation from Virgin for a 12 hour delay some years ago after the catering truck ran into the aircraft we were due to board. We approached the airline direct and received a payment plus 30% off a Virgin future flight. Also check you holiday insurance as many of the premiums pay out additional cash for delays.

That wasn't to Florida was it? I was on a flight when they did the same thing - didn't even think about compensation Sad
snow conditions
Due to all this balls:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10991631

It looks like I can either dig my heels in for months and months of legal cock waving, or give up.
latest report
Mr Technique, this is what I mentioned in my earlier post. Don't give up, just park it until the ECJ make their ruling then if things remain as they are currently then put your claim in. We have one pending the result of this and one that paid prior to this happening.
snow report
Register the complaint though as there may be limitations on how long after the event you can claim.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Register the complaint though as there may be limitations on how long after the event you can claim.

Good point, I will check that the OH has done this.
latest report
I put in a claim for statutory compensation for a missed trip due to Swiss cocking up a flight computer (stated by pilot as reason for ongoing delay) direct to Swiss - yet to hear from them 7 weeks later. I did put in some wording about the ECJ and how they weren't able to waive liability for "techical reasons".
snow report
Mmmm,

or just write to the airline.
snow conditions
@Filthyphil30k, no, no, no, far better to go spamming around the interpipes.
snow conditions
@under a new name, I know this company, you will only win if you would have won anyway, plus a handling fee regardlessly.

PPI anyone?

Hurt at work and not your fault?

Best fly with an airline that is on time or automatically pays out, and have insurance that kicks in after 2 hours.
latest report
Arrived at Heathrow last Easter holidays at 6am for a flight to Newark departing 10am. Flight was "on-time" when we left home, but was delayed and eventually left at 5pm. We were told numerous excuses by United while we waited, mostly based around "weather issues". When we boarded, the captain apologised for the delay and said it was an administrative cock-up and the planned crew were out of hours - our delay was waiting for a fresh crew. When we applied for compensation to cover the cost of a lounge (£25 each, well worth it considering we were there for breakfast, lunch and tea!) they denied any crew issues and reverted to "weather", which is excluded from the compensation scheme.
snow report
You'll never believe it, but in 2006 I successfully claimed £90 hotel/food expenses from Ryan Air after an overnight delay coming home from Grenoble.

It took a long time.
ski holidays
Our insurer wasn't interested for anything under 12 hours (we had 11.5), so we have gone to the tour operator and are awaiting their response. We found this link (you may need to cut and paste it) was helpful:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-to-request-compensation-for-cancelled-flights-
latest report
Under the terms of EU Directive 261/2004 your operating air carrier is obliged to provide assistance and compensation - the relevant para is cut and pasted below:

5. This Regulation shall apply to any operating air carrier
providing transport to passengers covered by paragraphs 1 and
2. Where an operating air carrier which has no contract with
the passenger performs obligations under this Regulation, it
shall be regarded as doing so on behalf of the person having a
contract with that passenger. (sic)

If you were told it was a computer failure the courts have agreed that is not an exceptional circumstance - although I expect the airlines will challenge it further - include your understanding of what you were told with your online application with Monarch via monarch.co.uk
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you go onto Money saving expert and search flight compensation.Everything you need to know is on there including draft letters and a mine of information. We got £1500 back for a similar length delay but long haul. No one gives you anything for free and you have to be armed with the facts, but if there is a chance, then the place to get advice is on the MSE website. Good Luck.
snow conditions
Question
Who pays the cost of compensation?
Answer
Other fare paying passengers

Discuss.
snow report
@ratherbewindsurfing, That is an entirely different subject........
latest report
ratherbewindsurfing wrote:
Question
Who pays the cost of compensation?
Answer
Other fare paying passengers

Discuss.

Yes, the cost of compensation will be paid by other customers because fares will have to be raised to cover the cost.

Those airlines who have to pay the least amount of compensation, because they keep delays to a minimum, will be able to charge the cheapest fares and therefore win the most customers.

Airlines having to pay compensation for unacceptable delays will benefit all customers in the long run.
ski holidays
@Mr Marmot, it will almost certainly benefit customers in the long run with regard to profitability, but it will also help to increase prices.

On another thread I reported how I successfully claimed compensation from Ryanair last Autumn. They turned me down twice, but I knew I was in the right and complained to the CAA at the same time as the Supreme Court decision was announced. They paid up soon after. Follow the guidance on Money saving expert and you are in with a good chance.

Don't forget you can claim back to about 2005.
snow report
I've suffered numerous delays and cancellations and have tried, usually without much success, to approach the airline directly regarding compensation. I think the basic problem is that its actually a strategy of many airlines to ignore requests for compensation in the hope that at least some of those people just give up. This is all quite well documented if you search in Google for something like "airlines wont pay flight compensation". Here are a couple of examples - https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2924823/five-major-airlines-accused-of-dodging-flight-delay-compensation-payments-to-200000-customers/ & https://www.fairplane.co.uk/civil-aviation-authority-flight-delay-claims
snow report
@catch22, Welcome to Snowheads!

This may be the approach of some carriers but it only requires a degree of patience. Submit claims and keep good records of the process. If they are still dragging their feet then ultimately you can simply go to the CAA. That's what I did and they had it sorted within a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
Being patient certainly didn’t work in my experience. I’ve had some perfectly valid requests refused for spurious reasons and others simply ignored. I’m sure contacting the CAA is good advice though. Thanks Little Angel
snow report
@catch22, What were the spurious reasons out of interest?
snow conditions
When my daughter was delayed flying from Manchester to Copenhagen she filled in the easyjet online claim form. They were very prompt in assessing the claim and confirming a late arrival of 3 hours 10 minutes. The compensation was paid into her bank account about 2 weeks after the claim was submitted.
snow conditions
I took Easyjet to the small claims court many years ago after they cancelled my flight and flew me home the next day to a different airport!! They initially refused to pay my claim for a hire car and evening meal. After dragging it out they covered my costs which was all I wanted.
ski holidays
Timeline

Climbing in South of France - excellent week
Arrived Montpellier Saturday 21.00 for Easyjet flight
Flight cancelled.
Next vacant flight Tues - kids (then 6 and 8 ) needed to attend school Monday
Would not put us onto alternative carrier
Hired car, drove from Montpelier to hotel (30kms) then to Calais, then train Dover-Cambridge
Horrible journey
Submitted all documentation to Easyjet
Easyjet helpline designed to discourage - different person every time, always demanded all documentation all over again and story all over again - exhausting
Easyjet then claimed we had got onto a flight that evening (!!!!) so much for security.
That took over a month to resolve
Repeated calls, endless waiting with Easyjet music bashing my hearing
Endless telling of story and resubmitting of all documentation - some denial of previous contact
Four months in (!!!!!) lost patience.
Posted all details on consumer website.
Within 4 hours, Easyjet email offering full compensation.

Note to self: Easyjet (and other airlines?) have robot monitoring of consumer websites and do not want adverse publicity.

Mod - where the hell did that emoticon come from - can't edit it out....
Thanks - emoticon gone.... Cool

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 17-05-17 10:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy