Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portable decent coffee makers....

Poster: A snowHead
I've never managed to find a way to get a decent coffee during long drives, camping etc etc.

This looks spot on, anyone else used one, or know anything better?

http://shop.illy.com/online/store/product_accessories-espresso-cappuccino_handpresso-travel-set_us

UK link for a better one that doesn't need to use pods...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handpresso-Hybrid-Espresso-Ground-Coffee/dp/B007KG5IYK?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPress-80R08-Coffee-Maker/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1341929259&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-LeXpress-Cafetiere-Glass/dp/B000YJD6AS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1341929287&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use an Aeropress every day whilst a Gaggia Classic sits there looking sad Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, glass and camping/driving to the alps in the car don't work, aeropress looks good though - it looks like plastic which is better for travels Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aeropress gets good reviews on some of the coffee forums.

What I use is a cafetiere cup as it doesn't take up any more space than a regular cup and can be used as one too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007MTNH2/ref=asc_df_B0007MTNH28696696?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The coffee from French and Italian motorway service stations seems fine to me. I usually fill up with petrol at French supermarkets, they all seem to have a cafe too.

I have a fairly small metal filter thing that I use for camping and UK hotels but I can't find it on the manufacturer's website.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a cafetière that I travel with as it is very easy to buy good coffee and have it ground to the preferred consistency! Some of those listed above seem to be stupid prices for an awful lot of faff!

this sort of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grunwerg-Double-wall-Straight-Sided-Cafetiere/dp/B003AIT8NO/ref=pd_sim_kh_35?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My son gave me two of these a few years ago which I find very useful, they fit a lot of mugs or cups you wouldn't need to use the glass ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Solo-filter-belgique-black/dp/B0001M0BC4/ref=sr_1_101?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1341930693&sr=1-101&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

+

+

=

Win

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 10-07-12 14:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, any chance you could make the pic a touch bigger???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fixed Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or this if I'm in a rush:

http://www.aolcookshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bodum-Travel-Press-0.35lt-Orange-S-S-15953.html

But you're never really in too much of a rush when camping, and the stove'll cook your bacon too wink

I find percolators make much better coffee than presses/cafetieres (sp?) too.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 10-07-12 14:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and Illy is probably the best supermarket coffee you'll get
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I fill a vacuum flask with my pot of Guatemalan coffee in the morning which lasts me until we get to France. After that coffee is good and doesn't come from Starbuck's.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999, I have one of those travel presses - only improvement would be if it was bigger!
snow report
Arno, they appear to do a .45 litre one now.... birthday present is in my future Wink
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Arno, they appear to do a .45 litre one now.... birthday present is in my future Wink

Might have to look into that too!
ski holidays
Btw, you can get pretty good discounts off Bodum stuff at their Bicester outlet shop.
ski holidays
Pretty sure this is pretty high up the First World Problems list wink
snow report
clarky999, hmmmm am over that way in a couple weeks thanks for the tip !
ski holidays
I use the cafetiere mug as in the link from feef. Very simple, and works OK. And keeps the coffee hot for a long time.
ski holidays
all you need to make coffee is some coffee grounds and some boiling water and a few drops of cold water...

add grounds to mug add boiling water... stir... leave till it's still.. add a few drops of cold water... drink... just don't drink the dregs....

if you want to add milk and sugar do so before or instead of the few drops of cold water...
snow conditions
II, Hmmm. Boiling water on coffee ruins it, let it cool a bit before adding.
ski holidays
Quote:

Boiling water on coffee ruins it

Is it the fact that it's boiling, or the temperature. If the latter, would it be OK to add boiling water up a mountain, where water boils at a lower temperature?
ski holidays
pam w, It is the temperature that affects coffee so I take your point but not sure the altitude on the A26 will come into it.

Perhaps we should enter a caveat at the beginning of each thread as to the altitude we set the theme at.
snow report
Basil,

I've head that said.

Presumably the super heated steam in the espresso process passes through the grounds so quickly that is doesn't do the damage that steeping in boiling water would Puzzled
latest report
Basil, I ask myself that question quite a bit, when making coffee at 1550m. I suppose I should do a blind tasting experiment....
latest report
musher, Optimum temps are around mid/high 90's C. The Italian style makers as pictured above probably exceed these temps and if you compare an espresso from one of these to one through a "shop" machine you can tell the difference, if you can get past the strong espresso taste. But you can also try it using an instant brew by way of comparison too. If you do use an Italian maker you are better of using a proper espresso coffee, the the Illy as illustrated above is very good.

Just letting the water come off the boil for a few seconds is better than boiling. Good travel coffee can be made by using a cafetiere/filter and hot water from a flask if you want to mess about like that but you could always use a good instant. The longer coffee is in a flask the worse it becomes, fresh is always best, but of course according to your taste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil wrote:
musher, Optimum temps are around mid/high 90's C. The Italian style makers as pictured above probably exceed these temps and if you compare an espresso from one of these to one through a "shop" machine you can tell the difference, if you can get past the strong espresso taste. But you can also try it using an instant brew by way of comparison too. If you do use an Italian maker you are better of using a proper espresso coffee, the the Illy as illustrated above is very good.

Just letting the water come off the boil for a few seconds is better than boiling. Good travel coffee can be made by using a cafetiere/filter and hot water from a flask if you want to mess about like that but you could always use a good instant. The longer coffee is in a flask the worse it becomes, fresh is always best, but of course according to your taste.

I've found the optimum temperature on my machine is 96degrees, however, the analogue control on the boiler thermostat isn't as accurate as I'd like so it varies from time to time.

With the Mocha Pot, the steam pressure pushes the water which is almost boiling, but not quite, up the spout and forces it through the coffee. By the time it reaches the coffee it will will no longer be at 100 degrees, but a couple of degrees lower. Still a little hot, perhaps, but not seriously so.

The biggest difference there is with a mocha pot is that there's usually a larger volume of coffee in contact with the water for longer (due to both the volume of water being pushed through and the slower speed at which it's being pressed through) hence the different flavour from an espresso machine. Also, being in contact with water longer will mean it'll have a higher caffeine content than an equivalent volume of individual espressos.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Basil, I ask myself that question quite a bit, when making coffee at 1550m. I suppose I should do a blind tasting experiment....

I found when making tea at 2,050m you can't get it quite "right"... Water boils at 93 degrees at that altitude, with proper tea you want the water as hot as possible without being boiling (less so with poncey teas though). Didn't get a proper cuppa all season...

We have a similar problem at work now, they've given us these instant "boiling" water zip tap things, OK for making cafetiere coffee but not quite hot enough to make tea properly.

Boiling point will be about 95 degrees at 1550m, so you should be alright with coffee, I think (and in my experience). In fact may help to prevent you from accidentally burning the coffee!
ski holidays
So @spoink47, I am not following your link and this has a MASSIVE wiff of ham to it….

But giving the benefit of doubt, I swear by my Staresso which I take away in holiday and take into the office to make a decent coffee with.
snow report
I have used my standard bialetti Mokka Pot on many a camping trip.

To be fair I use it pretty much every day at home to make up my morning Cortados.

Cant go wrong if you use decent coffee, warm milk and demerara.
ski holidays
AeroPress for me, fresh beans and a hario mini mill works well. We take it to our rentals or hotel. I don’t like the pod coffees and a french press is a bit messy.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
So @spoink47, I am not following your link and this has a MASSIVE wiff of ham to it….

But giving the benefit of doubt, I swear by my Staresso which I take away in holiday and take into the office to make a decent coffee with.

Well you're a bit late to the party (or should that be coffee morning)... 9 years late! wink
snow report
adithorp wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Well you're a bit late to the party (or should that be coffee morning)... 9 years late! wink

Well spotted, 12 not 21 oops
snow conditions
@harrim51, @adithorp, the spam post was split off earlier. wink
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Well Clearly it WAS spam ad @spoink47 post has been removed, making it look like I was the one that resurrected the thread!
ski holidays
@NickyJ, sorry.

Anyway I've got one of these...

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/wacaco-190721

Works well. Uses fresh ground or there's a pod attachment available (which is a lot less faff/mess) . I've also just got the vac' flask for it that attaches direct, so in theory could do espresso on the top of a mountain without needing a stove snowHead
ski holidays
if espresso is your thing, Wacaco Nanopresso might be worth a look. I have one and it makes decent coffee and is very portable
snow conditions
oops I see @adithorp beat me to it!
Anyway, another recommendation Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy