Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hacking Car Hire

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a cheapskate. I have a fancy car at home, but when I'm playing in the mountains I just want a car which will get me to the place I'm going, and I don't care how big or flashy it is. Hence I tend to go for the cheapest hire car. Well, they are all simply cars when all's said and done, and any will do as my snowboards are no more than 1.56cm long so fit in even a Smart car. In fact I've hired many of those and like them lots.

However I'm often delayed by the hard-sell of hire car extras, with commission-driven people making up horror stories in order to sell stuff I don't need. I never buy their stuff, but I have to listen to the sales pitch, and I have to photograph and video their crappy hire cars because I feel that they are essentially dishonest operations.

So... maybe it's time to go "first class" on car rental. Does anyone know a decent hire car company which operates world-wide and which allows you to hire cars without paying for extras (like insurance) which I don't need, and where I can just pick up a car without having to give it a forensic examination to save myself from legal exposure to them? I'm not that bothered about cost, I just want an honest company which charges a decent basic rate for their cars so they don't need to try to scam me to make a profit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to look for a better car rental?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@philwig, Avis has its membership option (can’t remember the name of it) which is suppose to speed up your car collection experience. I would take a look at that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am not a regular car hirer but have done a hire in Italy and Spain in the last decade and I don't think much has changed.

This is what I said on here Feb 2018:

"I was recently looking for car hire for a trip to Italy. Reading all the stuff online the phrase "wild west" is very apt. In the end went with Europcar (via Easyjet). Firefly or Goldcar were much cheaper but it doesn't take much research to realise that is a hook you don't want to bite on."

Basically you are looking for the best of a bad lot. I don't think what you describe above exists but will watch for any enlightenment.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and get personal car hire insurance. I used insurance4carhire. If there is an issue you pay and reclaim.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, he won't..he self insures
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Enterprise is by far the leading car rental company, and operates worldwide.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Insurance: Thanks, yes, the problem isn't insurance, which you can get from lots of places, it's just the hard sell and the scams.
If I'm dealing with fraud then I'd rather do it with "my own insurance", rather than having to arbitrate between two separate companies trying to monetize me.

Enterprise: they've all got world leading sales and marketing. I'm really looking for direct personal experience, which is why I'm posting here.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have direct personal experience of enterprise, thats why I'm posting here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worldwide is the kicker - you've basically looking at Hertz, Avis or Budget.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Worldwide is the kicker - you've basically looking at Hertz, Avis or Budget.

Enterprise. Largest hire company in the world.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roguevfr wrote:
I have direct personal experience of enterprise, thats why I'm posting here.
Can you tell me why they're better than the others, and which service you went for specifically? If I was asking for votes I know how to tally yours, but I don't know why you think that way, which would be more helpful.

I'm certainly looking at the big operators; if nothing else they tend to be "in terminal" where as local operators
can have that off-site problem, which is an important negative factor for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The membership options tend to vary. I assume there must be different levels of membership for corporates etc?

If I book thru my company, I go straight to the car.
If I go on a job with the customer who's booked, who use exactly the same company and have the membership card, we have to do all the desk faff and collect keys there, and get all the insurance upsell (but usually not the upgrade upsell).

If I book direct for personal use, I have all the desk faff and sly upsell attempts, but they still detect I'm a corporate member. Same for both Avis and Europcar. We change the membership every 2-3 years, presumably to whomever gives the best deal.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
@philwig, Avis has its membership option (can’t remember the name of it) which is suppose to speed up your car collection experience. I would take a look at that.

I'd normallyhave said Avis was good but having the last time I used them experienced a retrospective and unnotified spurious cleaning charge levied months after I returned the vehicle with a clean sign off (for which they only raised an invoice after I'd challenged the charge through my CC) I'd say they are as crooked as everyone else.

As a result I think I will be wary of operations that only confirm returns on their own ipad without a paper receipt and/or contemporaneous email.

Curiously on average I've probably used Dollar/Thrifty most over time as they often have the best rates on consolidators and while you have the usual desk theatrics on the upsell they have usually been hassle free thereafter. AIUI they get recycled the 6 month old Hertz stock.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 8-06-21 11:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, one of the reasons I video and photo the car when we collect and when we drop it off, then store the video for several months.

Last used Avis because we have a deal through work (which obviously doesn't work out much cheaper but is okay). They were fine, don't think many of the big names will be much different and suspect that cost varies from location to location.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

However I'm often delayed by the hard-sell of hire car extras, with commission-driven people making up horror stories in order to sell stuff I don't need.

I beleive the government posted some public information films about this some time ago. "just say no" Amazingly most of them just give up after the first one or two "no"s. I think the bursting out laughing when one salesman tried to get me to rent a sat nav for a very high price stopped him dead in his tracks.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, that is disappointing to read. Had very good experience with them in Oslo (aside from long queues due to it system failure and they had to resort to paper systems, the lady was so pleased I had everything I had pre-printed out on paper!)
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, The charge was for sand on the floor. Given it was Colorado in the middle of winter I challenged exactly how many beaches they thought I had been near. Guess it's plausible over a 3 week rental there was more than the normal amount of road grit trodden in but they do hoover the vehicles anyway - I've never had a "retrun fully valeted" rental in the US and certainly not at a normal rental operation.

My suspicion is that it was a widespread scam on recent renters to compensate for the Covid drop off in trade last year. (Rental ended early Jan, charge levied late April). Was tempted to report it to police but looked too much hassle given it wasn't clear whether the "crime" was at DEN branch or Florida head office. Of course might have been a rogue employee boosting some numbers for some personal targets and I was just unlucky.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-06-21 12:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I used Hertz in the past because I had a code that got me a massive discount. Don't know the code because I can't remember where it came from. I always found them good.

Also used AVIS via BA so used air miles and they are fine.

I found AVIS more hard sell than Hertz. But I suppose it depends where you are.
ski holidays
Having used both budget (e.g. Goldcar) and multinational brands I would say that there really isn't much difference between them when it comes to upselling insurance, etc. I usually book through holidayautos rather than direct as they offer free cancellation and always take out an excess insurance policy before I go (or annually if I have lots of trips planned). A polite "No, I'm already covered thank you" seems to do the job.

In my experience a big part of the pleasantness of the transaction is just luck on the day with the representative you deal with, the car you've been allocated, the wait time, etc. I also think country/airport is more of a deciding factor for the level of service you receive rather than brand.

The best service I've experienced is from small independent rental companies providing a 'meet and greet' service - obviously costs a bit more but a lot less hassle if you can afford it.
snow report
Thanks all. I think it makes sense that the massive companies are largely the same. I would imagine that big or small they all run the "commission based upselling at the desk" thing. One of them seems to offer "desk free" pickup which presumably avoids the upsell hassle.

I did pretty much laugh in Iceland just now when the guy guaranteed that if I didn't buy their extortionate extra insurance that the damages he could charge me would be unlimited. He said that they have sand storms in Iceland which strip the paint, for which I would be liable as much as €9,000, and which was a dead certainty. I'd have laughed harder if I'd known that the car was worth significantly less than that, and that every panel on it already had damage. Which they'd not identified. There was even an existing botched and rusted repair to a prior collision. I'd guess they've had lots of people pay to fix that sucker. I got that rental through their national airline, so that's no guarantee of zero criminality.
ski holidays
@philwig, do you want to avoid all insurance, except for the legal minimum liability insurance? Or you happy with the usual comprehensive insurance but want to avoid the yodelling spiel at the desk (for top-up insurance, car upgrade, etc)?
latest report
philwig wrote:
Thanks all. I think it makes sense that the massive companies are largely the same. I would imagine that big or small they all run the "commission based upselling at the desk" thing. One of them seems to offer "desk free" pickup which presumably avoids the upsell hassle.

I did pretty much laugh in Iceland just now when the guy guaranteed that if I didn't buy their extortionate extra insurance that the damages he could charge me would be unlimited. He said that they have sand storms in Iceland which strip the paint, for which I would be liable as much as €9,000, and which was a dead certainty. I'd have laughed harder if I'd known that the car was worth significantly less than that, and that every panel on it already had damage. Which they'd not identified. There was even an existing botched and rusted repair to a prior collision. I'd guess they've had lots of people pay to fix that sucker. I got that rental through their national airline, so that's no guarantee of zero criminality.

I had a similar experience with Europcar. Said I would be charged 150 excess for each and every scratch if there were any, even if they were on the same panel. I laughed and declined the extra insurance.

When I got to the car, I couldn't believe my eyes. The bonnet and roof literally looked like someone had taken a hammer to it. There were several hundred large dings (apparently caused my a hail storm with golf ball sized stones). There was some sort of glue deposited all over each door, the rear bumper was smashed in and the opel sign on the boot had fallen off.

When I delivered it the check in guy looked like he was examining every square inch of the car, but didn't end up charging me anything. I had full photographic and video evidence of the "before" condition, so would have argued if had!
latest report
I've used Avis quite a few times in the USA via BA with no problems whatsoever.

Every time I have hired from GVA with anyone I have had pre-sale hassle. The most extreme having bought a "voucher" through Autoeurope or TravelSupermarket and been told I need to have 2000euros blocked on my card for the hire - travelled with my mate and our two lads to St Gervais and neither of us had that headroom as we need cards for the holiday. Paid their "insurance" for 149 euros (I know but we were over a barrel) and miraculously all problems disappeared and we got an upgrade!
snow report
@Timmycb5 Sounds familiar. I kind of like the beat up cars as their fraud possibility is smaller.

@robRar I'll not pay for "insurance" I don't need when it looks like a protection racket - "pay our commission, or we'll try to defraud you" is what I hear when they do this. Naturally my defences are hard and I'll willingly hand over the price of 10 of their cars to fight thieves. I'd like to avoid the battle completely, but I won't pay their blackmail to avoid it, if you see what I mean.

On the defence front, the trick with the outrageous repair cost thing is to obviously take images of all panels, but also to demand receipts - this isn't a "damages" game, they have to actually show evidence of the damage. I would actually ask them for three separate quotes for any repair, and I'd want the repairer to be not one they choose, as I'd be asking the repairer for an estimate of the existing damage which I would deduct. In the case of my recent rental the car total value was clearly less than the man tried to scare me with (oh yeah, did I say I recorded that conversation?) and I'd use his sales pitch as clear evidence of their intent to defraud me from the start. That is, I think that the scare tactic thing will actually work against them in court as it's so ridiculous.
snow conditions
I regularly use Hertz Gold Club and haven't had much in the way of hard sell. When I returned late for a flight and went for the ridiculously expensive 'you fill it up' option, the helpful rep even suggested that if I could just spare 15 minutes and fill-up 'round the corner to P51, I'd save a lot of money (unfortunately, I didn't have 15 minutes).

When I collected and pointed out a couple of unrecorded scratches, the rep also identified serious kerbing on two wheels: she said that alloys are a big damage issue for them - people think that kerbing alloys (not unlikely in an unfamiliar car in the winter driving in a foreign country) isn't damage, but they spend a fortune on refurb'ing wheels and are always on the lookout for damage. More so than with bodywork. She also tut-tutted her colleague who obviosly hadn't bothered to check the car previously, and admitted that when it's busy, they'll often not be thorough. Her tone implied that the damage gets picked up sooner-or-later, just down the line on a subsequent rental. So she gave the sensible advice that it's always worth taking your time to check the documented damage against the car itself and raising it there and then: I got the impression that the reps don't like colleagues not bothering to check, as it can often leave them with more work once the damage is identified later.

It doesn't cost anything to register with Hertz Gold and as a member you then get a 2nd driver free, and if there's a car available, a free upgrade. The Institute of Directors also get you a discount at Hertz as do a variety of other professional memberships.

However, whilst recommending them, I still think that a lot is down to the character of individual staff, with some being a lot more helpful and efficient and non-hard-sell than others.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-06-21 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I think I'd be happy to pay an "honesty" premium just to know that my rental would be handled with honesty, integrity and transparency. That means them acknowledging previous damage accurately and knowing they aren't going to be out to get me for a stone chip or a minor scratch (like when someone opens a car door into me given the tiny parking bays often used) or something I've missed seeing in a dark carpark when the vehicle is going out. Obviously the quid pro quo would be that I agree when I have dragged the wing along a wall that it is an appropriate charge.

I can see a business model there for someone but I wonder how much the honesty premium would need to be to net the same amount as shenanagins do.
ski holidays
It's been like this for many years/decades - it's unlikely to change, it's the nature of it.

To be fair to the hire companies I think people used to treat hire cars with no respect and/or tried to get away with all sorts... and so may have contributed to the current situation.
latest report
philwig wrote:
@robRar I'll not pay for "insurance" I don't need when it looks like a protection racket - "pay our commission, or we'll try to defraud you" is what I hear when they do this. Naturally my defences are hard and I'll willingly hand over the price of 10 of their cars to fight thieves. I'd like to avoid the battle completely, but I won't pay their blackmail to avoid it, if you see what I mean.
Very much understand and agree with your views on the odious up-selling. The reason I asked is that, if I’m flying BA, I mostly book with them for flight and car hire as it’s always cheaper than all the big name renters, only beaten by some of the bargain basement consolidators and local renters I’ve often not heard of. Al OST always this rental through BA is with Avis, and as I’m a member of their loyalty scheme it often means straight to the garage to collect your car (or sometimes select which one you want from the aisle in the garage), with no interaction with the staff at the rental desk. This is on the basis of their comprehensive insurance, but none of the add-ons that they often try to sell you at the desk. Works for me, and is fairly hassle-free.

I do have (non-pandemic years) rental top-up insurance (insurance4carhire), which I think is acceptable value for money which I’ve twice claimed on, and cuts out any nonsense with rental companies trying to charge me for random damage or punctured tyres (my two claims). £35 for European rentals, which i think is a small price for me to pay to avoid the hassle of photos and video in dark rental garages when I’m keen to her to the hills.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also think that the 3rd party excess insurance is a very small price to pay for not having to deal with car hire companies and their sordid games.
snow report
I must admit to having worked as a customer facing employee in a car rental company, albeit 20 + years ago. I have to laugh at all the people who are mortified at the "scams" that all the "conning" companies operate.

In my experience, which was over 10 years in post, 95 % of customers are trying to get one over the rental company in some small way, whether in "yes I've filled it up" to no, I didn't scrape the bumper on any wall.
In all honesty, you reap what you sow, and its the cumulative effect of decades of this sort of behaviour which puts in practice the elements you are now all so up in arms about.
I rented predominantly Ford's and VW's and at that time day and weekly rental prices were in the order of 39 to 79 pounds a day / 219 to 279 a week .
That price included collision damage waiver, there was no upsell or upgrade selling .

The cars were all current model year mid range spec.
Yet people were constantly knocking hell out of them, returning them filthy inside and other more nefarious practices.

Cars cost approximately 3 times what they cost back then, yet rental prices are in most cases equal or less than the price in the time I'm talking about.
There are far more costly parts, such as the mandatory big alloys and expensive tyres that many people seem to see as disposable because its a rental car.

You also have to consider that many of the outlets which carry a "big brand" name are franchises, and don't have quite the same attention to detail as proper branches.
I've certainly paid more for the rental of a pair of skis for a week than many people consider fair fir the rental of a new car.
Shenanigans do occur, undoubtedly, but far more frequently on the side of the renter, than the rental company.
snow conditions
@Layne, absolutely, the mental in a rental saying "you can go anywhere in a hire car".
snow conditions
@philwig, per @LaForet, when we regularly (+/- weekly) flew into Geneva on a Friday eve, we had the then Hertz Gold thing (doesn't cost anything, benefits get better more you rent) but which at base level had your licence stored and a dedicated priority desk. Arrive at Geneva, go to desk, collect keys. Generally a 2 minute job.

2018-2019 we were in Scotland every few weeks or so - slightly different system, had to (literally, we were told to do exactly this), walk to front of (generally lengthy) queue (as dedicated desk not usually staffed) as they couldn't store Mrs U's licence as well as mine, 2 minutes for them to photocopy it, then straight to car pickup for car. Again, totally straightforward, usually a class upgrade.

So if you want a rec, I'd suggest Hertz worth a look at. I know you self insure, but de minimus we've always had CDW excess on our credit cards (and have had occasion to use it).

Also, check the roof for scratches/dents, and defo wheels/covers. Oh and also tyres... A couple fo Hertz folk have said that tyres are one of the most freqiently charged for problems - if you sidewall them, they replace. As you do anyway, photos all round.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, My bad Avis experience was thru BA. I did start a complaint with them in the event my credit card reversal failed - possibly an advantage in an additional "throat to choke" although the glacial pace at which BA customer service works possibly "advantage" is a bit strong.....
ski holidays
@Rob Sounds reasonable, although my rental in this case was also through the airline - that doesn't always work, it seems. I shall need to be more careful in checking who their deals are with.

I understand that some people would rather pay them off than not, but I learned as a kid how to deal with the guys with the sharpened
screwdrivers. Giving into them wasn't it. My question was not how to pay them off, which I reckon I can work out well enough, but how
to efficiently "hack" the system.

I'm thinking I may try the big names. At least they've more to lose if I have to litigate against them, and they're easier legal targets
with offices in the UK I can attack for damages etc. I am litigious and I'd prefer the legal route to paying blackmailers. I'm fairly sure that
they have equally corrupt practices at desk level, but they likely have legal teams also, who know what they don't want to fight.
latest report
philwig wrote:
@Rob Sounds reasonable, although my rental in this case was also through the airline - that doesn't always work, it seems. I shall need to be more careful in checking who their deals are with.

I understand that some people would rather pay them off than not, but I learned as a kid how to deal with the guys with the sharpened
screwdrivers. Giving into them wasn't it. My question was not how to pay them off, which I reckon I can work out well enough, but how
to efficiently "hack" the system.

I'm thinking I may try the big names. At least they've more to lose if I have to litigate against them, and they're easier legal targets
with offices in the UK I can attack for damages etc. I am litigious and I'd prefer the legal route to paying blackmailers. I'm fairly sure that
they have equally corrupt practices at desk level, but they likely have legal teams also, who know what they don't want to fight.

This is just mental.

Book with the company directly, either through a membership system if there's enough value in it for you, don't wee wee them about when you return the car , and pay a reasonable amount for the service you're receiving and stop going into things with this pathetic attitude .
Not everyone is trying to screw you over, and maybe if you weren't so combative you wouldn't need to think this way.
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
I must admit to having worked as a customer facing employee in a car rental company, albeit 20 + years ago. I have to laugh at all the people who are mortified at the "scams" that all the "conning" companies operate.

In my experience, which was over 10 years in post, 95 % of customers are trying to get one over the rental company in some small way, whether in "yes I've filled it up" to no, I didn't scrape the bumper on any wall.
In all honesty, you reap what you sow, and its the cumulative effect of decades of this sort of behaviour which puts in practice the elements you are now all so up in arms about.
I guess I’m in the minority then. I treat rental cars with the same respect as my own, and I’ve never tried to get one over on a rental company. Yet I’ve had to fight off the hard sell at the rental desk dozens of times, and twice had to deal with what I consider scams by the rental company (exorbitant charge for a scratched panel, and a fuel charge added a month after returning the car where I was given a receipt showing nothing to pay). Maybe I’m just unlucky.
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
Not everyone is trying to screw you over, and maybe if you weren't so combative you wouldn't need to think this way.

Ah but in the case of car rental they usually are...far more than in any other consumer facing business beyond "tarmac your drive mr".
ski holidays
@philwig, we like Hertz Gold because we skip the counter entirely and just get into our car and drive away. No selling, no nothing.

I've found Sixt takes all this nonsense to levels I'd never seen. Some punk was going over my rental return in Rome like his life depended on finding something. My wife just about leveled him and she is chill. Eventually a more senior guy came along and told him to run along and they all laughed except us.

Rent directly from the provider. Adding needless layers of bureaucracy may bring a lower price, but comes at its own cost, as does everything.

Entering into this with the litigious attitude seems unnecessary. One tends to get what one expects.
latest report
I never cease to be amazed at the state of hire cars with scratches, and dents on them. I even had one that was covered in small dents from what must have been a heavy hail storm. In general a hire car a couple of months old and 3000 km on the clock will have more dents and scratches than my 12 year old car with over 120,000 miles on the clock.
snow report
johnE wrote:
I never cease to be amazed at the state of hire cars with scratches, and dents on them. I even had one that was covered in small dents from what must have been a heavy hail storm. In general a hire car a couple of months old and 3000 km on the clock will have more dents and scratches than my 12 year old car with over 120,000 miles on the clock.

Not from a decent company it won't.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy