Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps resorts for beginner-intermediate on-piste skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone!

I’m planning a trip to alps with 2 of my friends (M26), and none of us have any experience from alps. Our skills as skiers differ, but basically

1) one of us is a little more experienced than others (5 or so skiing trips, feels confident with scandinavian black slopes but never done them in alps)

2) one has skied really only one time last year and is fine with most reds but no experience from blacks is somewhat nervous with harsh looking reds.

3) 3rd is almost as inexperienced as #2 but feels confident with reds and has skied down some blacks, but not in the Alps.

We’re planning to travel mid january and what we’d value is a good amount of on-piste routes for all of us, a good taste of Alps apres ski (fingers crossed these are gonna be a thing in Jan...), good scenery and hopefully somewhat reasonable pricing Smile

We’re a bunch of students and just graduates so we pretty much crossed Swiss resorts off the list already. We’ve been looking at Austria (St Anton) and 3 valleys (Val thorens) among others but we’re not sure how well these places match our needs, especially the on-piste coverage part but the nightlife and other criteria also.

Any other resorts that would fit our needs better? As I said we have no idea about Alps and its resorts and this forum keeps popping up in my Google so thought you guys might be more informed than reddit Smile

Thanks for any help in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowy_Kenobi, welcome by all means.
Most people I know don't feel confident on any kind of red pistes after only one week of skiing, so ski lessons will definitely be recommended by all of us here in order to enjoy and master the inherent difficulties.
The Apres issue might pose a problem in Covid19 times. Austria is regarded by many as the best place to enjoy it, but social limitations will probably still be in place next season.
St. Anton was perfect in that aspect but beside Lech (which is very expensive), it's considered a harder and more challenging destination, one that is enjoyed with more experience.
Skiwelt is wonderful in any possible way and the pub at the bottom of the slope right next to the Hochbrixen (Brixner Stadl, look for it on YouTube) was blasting with energy at the end of the day last March.
I haven't been to Saalbach but it gets great reviews for skiing and apres.
In France, you have of course Val Thorens and Tignes Val Claret (cocorico) which will offer a wide array of pistes plus apres.
I expect many more suggestions from the others.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drporat thanks for the welcome and reply Smile

By new to skiing I meant downhill skiing, since we don’t live anywhere near mountains. We’ve done a good amount of cross country skiing in a young age so the concept of snow and skis isn’t new to us, but going downhill part sorta is Laughing If that makes sense. All of us did find most of the blue slopes in Lapland a bit boring though, whereas red’s gave a decent mix of challange and laid back experience. We did do some off-piste there too but I don’t personally feel that confident going off-road in the Alps Very Happy

I’ve heard that St Anton is a bit more challenging than others but at the same time I’m hearing that there are enough slopes for not so skilled skiiers so idk. Heard of Saalbach but Skiwelt is new to me and so is Tignes. Will take a second look!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
are there any university trips you can join?

Piste Apres is probably not going to be like it used to be for this season. So you could be paying a premium for that element that is non existent (equivalent of a hotel with a nice pool for your summer holidays, but the pool is closed!)

Don't get caught up to much on piste colours.
You can have Red's that should really be blacks or blues that should be red - but that blue is a link, so is labelled so!

There are lots of resorts you could look at. Les2Alpes, Alpe Dhuez, Mayrhofen, etc. which are large enough resorts to have some sort of night scene.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not really, I’m graduate myself so I don’t think I even could tag along anymore but tbh we’re used to travel by ourself so I wouldn’t really want the school trip experience either.

Good point with the apres, its easy to get a little carried away with all the apres praise out there! I do feel kinda optimistic about the restrictions going away since things changed quickly in the US too after vaxinations and we’re something like 4-5 months behind, but obviously idk.

I heard somewhere too that all the resorts have similiar amount of blues etc since there arent strick guidelines to any of that, which is why we’re having a hard time to decide the right mountain for us Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowy_Kenobi, now it all makes sense Little Angel
Been to Arlberg twice and plan to return next year as well, but I still think they don't have enough easy pistes (except Lech, as stated) to justify it at this stage, so I stand by my initial recommendations. You will enjoy it much more next time, it's like going to a Michelin restaurant for the drinks.
See https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-brixental/trail-map/#&gid=1&pid=1
Go to Westendorf first morning, leave the gondolas at the middle stop and do the blues. And then the Welt is your oyster NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In your shoes I'd go somewhere in Austria but not St Anton/ Arlberg.

Ski Welt, Ski Circus or Mayrhofen/Zillertal may all fit the bill and have decent apres ( if it is allowed).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would throw La Plagne/Les Arcs into the pot for consideration.

La Plagnes has lots of motorway skiing; easy routes through forests; and excursions to satellite traditional villages, if the snow cover is good enough.

Les Arcs has more interesting skiing, of various standards.

Both resorts have Glaciers and are connected by a cable car; there is lots of accommodation beside the lifts; there are trees, if the weather closes in; Evo 2 ski school in some of the resorts; and the lesser skiers don't need to get the whole area lift pass, as each resort has a decent amount of skiing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 19-08-21 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First of all a confession - I'm not an expert on the Apre Ski scene or what people want from it so I'll concentrate on the skiing.

For a good mix of scenery and easy piste skiing on very well prepared pistes IMHO you cannot beat the Dolomites (OK geography purist, they are not technically the Alpes but who really cares). Wolkenstein or St. Ulrich would be my first choices, but Canazei would also be good.

For me the true alpine skiing experience is staying up high and heading straight out onto the piste and that means a purpose built resort - somewhere like Alpe d'Huez or one of the smaller resorts like Valmorel.

May I suggest getting a second hand copy of Where to Ski and SNowboard from Amazon and spending a long pleasant time doing detailed research.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mid-Jan is the perfect time for a budget friendly ski holiday and the world is your oyster from that pov.

Given you are 3 youngish mates I wouldn't take a week of lessons but maybe get do a couple of hours private 2nd or 3rd day to get errors spotted, tip techniques to get you going in the right direction.

Second the comment about not getting too hooked on slope gradings as their so many variables. You have to get to know them a bit at the start of the week and also understand how the exposure and weather conditions will affect them. Talking of weather the downside of mid-Jan is the weather can be bleak - best to find somewhere with tree skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’d echo the recommendation for Saalbach Hinterglemm. Mid-Jan should be fine for snow coverage and their snow-making is excellent should there be a slightly late start to the real stuff falling (unlikely). The Ski Circus is vast so you get a great sense of travel. Of course, as with most “mega” resorts, ski passes are on the pricey side!

The piste options are plentiful! Regarding Apres….well, that’s hard to predict in these times but, Saalbach is awesome. One of the best places I’ve been to with a good mix catering to most tastes, from wild to slightly more sedate.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
..... Wolkenstein ....

more commonly known as Selva or Val Gardena. Google Wolkenstein and Germany comes up. St Ulrich is Ortisei. These are the correct places https://www.valgardena.it/en/ https://www.val-gardena.com/en/region/ortisei-val-gardena-dolomites/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I certainly would NOT recommend St Anton for you, based our stated experience. Very few “easy” slopes and you need to be comfortable on crowded slopes. Lech offers more intermediate possibilities, but staying there is seriously expensive.

From what I have heard, Saalbach or perhaps Hopfgarten might be better for you. I have not skied the former and my experience of the latter is based on a Contiki trip a lifetime ago, so take it with a grain of salt.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowy_Kenobi, one of the UCPA centres in France might suit your group.
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/winter/find-your-holiday/skiing/skiing

They are very good value, all inclusive accommodation, full board, lessons, equipment hire (except travel but they offer good value transfers from nearest airports).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, Yes, the Italianisation of the German speaking Dolomites continues, but my maps (on View Ranger) still say Wolkenstein and St. Ulrich.

Selva is the name for other places in the Dolomites so I prefer to stick to the original names to avoid confusion. If I go to Selva I end up in a beautiful little town linked to the Civetta ski area. Also worth considering BTW.
snow conditions
Big thanks for all the help! Never expected this helpfull lot, really appreciate it!

Saalbach seems to be it, although we’ll be taking a second look at places you mentioned before doing anything too stupid. Only thing that it seems to be missing is some of the scenery of other resorts, but we’re not there to only fill our Instagrams. I’m sure its a great place live too.
ski holidays
Snowy_Kenobi wrote:

Good point with the apres, its easy to get a little carried away with all the apres praise out there! I do feel kinda optimistic about the restrictions going away since things changed quickly in the US too after vaxinations and we’re something like 4-5 months behind, but obviously idk.

Yeah, we got all excited about being vaccinated, shed our masks, started going to restaurants, basically going nuts.

And what did that get us:
Bloomberg: Covid Hospital Deaths at Highest Level Since February in US.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-19/u-s-covid-hospital-deaths-hit-february-levels-as-icus-overflow

It turns out that all us vaccinated folks were catching the thing, not knowing it, having larger viral loads, and then doing all these Old Days things, spreading it far and wide. And all the unvaccinated folks were the same ones who never had worn masks anyway. And based on what I saw at the store today, no one is seeing the light. Locally, all the ICU beds are full.
snow conditions
@Snowy_Kenobi, Cervinia in Italy fits the bill, I’ve skied for 50 years and am going there for my middle daughters boyfriend who is a first time skier. For as many thrills as you want just opt over the border to Zermatt. Highest lift served skiing in Europe, great restaurants, and overall its high so good snow record. Only downside is you might get too much snow, and potentially high wind. Obvious really given the height.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
In your shoes I'd go somewhere in Austria but not St Anton/ Arlberg.

Ski Welt, Ski Circus or Mayrhofen/Zillertal may all fit the bill and have decent apres ( if it is allowed).

Yep, Saalbach would be perfect
snow report
Snowy_Kenobi wrote:

Thanks for any help in advance!

Students who have crossed off Switzerland still have St Anton on there?

Seems like if you want Austria (most is cheaper than St Anton), then somewhere like Saalbach, Kitzbuhel or Mayrhofen, the classic British favourites (though if you are from Sweden maybe that'd put you off), should suit you just fine for all the aspects you are looking for. SkiWelt also, though it's a bit lower and Soll is a little less convenient for slope access
latest report
@buchanan101 Isn’t Swizerland overall more expensive though? We found airbnb’s from Pettneu for a decent pricing and from what I read beers are around 5e and the food is the same as in any city in Scandinavia.

We did book Saalbach however, got some cheap flights and the area seemed great. Can’t wait for the trip!
snow report
@Snowy_Kenobi, enjoy your trip to Saalbach, I'm sure you'll have a great time! snowHead
ski holidays
Snowy_Kenobi wrote:
@buchanan101 Isn’t Swizerland overall more expensive though? We found airbnb’s from Pettneu for a decent pricing and from what I read beers are around 5e and the food is the same as in any city in Scandinavia.

We did book Saalbach however, got some cheap flights and the area seemed great. Can’t wait for the trip!

Yes but St Anton area is possibly the most expensive Austrian resort, that and Ischgl and Obergurgl. They are probably more snow sure than lower resorts, but Austrian snow making is very good and extensive. Saalbach is an excellent choice.
ski holidays
@Snowy_Kenobi, if you would like me to email you my comprehensive guide to Saalbach, send me a personal message with your email address.
I’m always happy to answer any questions about the resort, as I live there all year round and know the area pretty well (and am also in regular contact with several British families who own apartments that are available to rent at any time of the year).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy