Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Garmont Ski Touring Boots to....What?

Poster: A snowHead
I love my current (9 or 10 year-old) Garmont ski touring boots as they ski like my previous and current alpine boots (currently Head). Although they don't have the holes at the front for use with pin bindings, that hasn't been an issue to date as I have Fritschi frame bindings on my touring skis.

However, after having the skis serviced (for recent touring in Scotland), I have just been advised that the skis are about done - virtually no edges or bases left... So thoughts are turning to new skis and the possibility of pin-compatible boots.

However, apart from the odd pair on eBay, I can't find anywhere online that sells Garmont touring boots. And the Garmont website shows only hiking and mountaineering boots.

Prior to purchasing the Garmont boots, I had tried Scarpa hire boots. I found those to be very soft, with a tendency to flop backwards(!) - which was quite disconcerting.

Two questions as a result:

1. What happened to Garmont touring boots?
2. Any recommendations on touring boots that ski like alpine boots? (And don't flop backwards...!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Garmont got bought by Scott. I used to love my old megarides .... For the era they were groundbreaking

2. Touring boots have evolved lots in last 10 years. Most brands have something in line up that will weigh 1.5kg and ski almost like an alpine boot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just swapped Garmonts for Scarpa Maestrale RS ... had a shortlist including Scotts but stock limited and got a good deal on the Scarpas. Yet to try them or have the moulded and fitted - will see how things go next season for that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, I still miss my Garmonts, they were a great boot. Switched to Dynafit with my Fritschi bindings and occassional use of pins but never found them as good. Looking at a new set this season and definately tempted by the Scotts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

Looks like it's Garmont RIP Confused - but that I may have a few options. ..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
get thee to a bootfitter Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
get thee to a bootfitter Twisted Evil

I don't think it's as much about bootfitting, as trying them on snow - not that that will be possible before purchase. My Scarpa boots are very comfortable but, as MA says above, they are very soft and unsupportive if I inadvertently allow my weight to go back. Any hint of becoming off balance to the rear and I'm on my back rolling eyes . The plus point is that they are the perfect excuse for decent balance ! wink And I've had them for years so I'm more than used to them now.

However, I had no idea they performed like that until I skied in them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@mountainaddict, I still miss my Garmonts, they were a great boot. Switched to Dynafit with my Fritschi bindings and occassional use of pins but never found them as good. Looking at a new set this season and definately tempted by the Scotts.

Switched from Garmont Adrenalins (the orange ones) to Dynafit Titans (white and heavy) and am now on Dynafit TLT6 Carbons which will probably get replaced next season. Don't miss the adrenalins at all as my current boots fit far better, are easier to use, lighter, stiffer and have a better range of motion so are an improvement during the ascent and the descent.

The most important thing is what fits your foot best because a bad fitting touring boot will affect performance on the way up and down. (blisters and 'fluffy/soft' control).
e.g. I wanted the Scarpa Maestrale RS's but they were just too wide/large for my skinny feet.

Not sure which model of Garmonts you have (Adrenalin, Endorphin, G-Ride, Shogun etc) and what width / volume they were but if they fit well I'd aim to look at models with similar widths/volume. A good boot fitter should be able to tell you what might suit (after looking at your feet). Typical range of touring boots widths is 97mm to 104mm although boots outside of this range are avaiable. Volume is generally described as low, medium and high, (for skinny, normal and fat feet)
Certain boots suit certain types of feet better (e.g. duck feet = width forefoot, skinny heel)
In general the better a boot descends the heavier it is so finding the right compromise in weight and range of motion is important.
There are many other things to consider e.g. angle of the boot shaft, quality of the boot liner (some are super cheap / thin and deserve to be replaced when buying the boot), binding compatibilty, boot stiffness, no or buckles (e.g. 2, 3 or 4).

Different models from the same manufacturer can suit different foot shapes although just because a particular model of boot was a great fit in the past doesn't mean their latest models will be. Sometimes the width / shape is modified. e.g. My current boots were 99mm width but the lastest version is much wider.

These are highly rated boots that should work a lot better than any Garmont boot (if they fit your feet)

Technica Zero G tour Pro
Scarpa Maestrale RS or XT

Some more here
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-ski-boots

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 6-06-21 8:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:

Switched from Garmont Adrenalins (the orange ones) to Dynafit Titans (white and heavy) and am now on Dynafit TLT6 Carbons which will probably get replaced next season. Don't miss the adrenalins at all as my current boots fit far better are easier to use, lighter, stiffer and have a better range of motion so are an improvement during the ascent and descent.

The most important thing is what fits your foot best because a bad fitting touring boot will affect performance on the way up and down. (blisters and 'fluffy/soft' control).
e.g. I wanted the Scarpa Maestrale RS's but they were just too wide/large for my skinny feet.

Not sure which model of Garmonts you have (Adrenalin, Endorphin, G-Ride, Shogun etc) and what width / volume they were but if they fit well I'd aim to look at models with similar widths/volume. A good boot fitter should be able to tell you what might suit (after looking at your feet). Typical range of touring boots widths is 97mm to 104mm although boots outside of this range are avaiable. Volume is generally described as low, medium and high, (for skinny, normal and fat feet)
Certain boots suit certain types of feet better e.g. duck feet = width forefoot, skinny heel)
In general the better a boot descends the heavier it is so finding the right compromise in weight and range of motion is important.
There are many other things to consider e.g. angle of the boot shaft, quality of the boot liner (some are super cheap / thin and deserve to be replaced when buying the boot), binding compatibilty, boot stiffness, no or buckles (e.g. 2, 3 or 4).

Different models from the same manufacturer can suit different foot shapes although just because a particular model of boot was a great fit in the past doesn't mean their latest models will be. Sometimes the width / shape is modified. e.g. My current boots were 99mm width but the lastest version is much wider.

These are highly rated boots that should work a lot better than any Garmont boot (if they fit your feet)

Technica Zero G tour Pro
Scarpa Maestrale RS or XT

Some more here

Similar path from Garmin Endorphins (loved them but no tech toe) to Dynafit Titans (too narrow so lots of stretching required and never really comfortable) to K2 Pinnacle 130’s (great to ski but heeeaaavy) and now on Technica Zero-G Tour Pros (perfect).

Can highly recommend them. I have quite a wide forefoot and was surprised I was able to get them into the 99mm last. Did some long tours at the end of the season so had the right boot stretched a bit at the widest point for extra comfort (apparently very easy with the material it’s made of).

Whatever you get suspect
you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the advance in touring boot performance!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, I think it is very much about a bootfitter!

Although, I have "difficult" feet.

My chums in Concept Pro reckon that they only realy needed to stock two models of boot, and in the low volume version, as with a bit of work they'd cover any feet. But that doesn't lend itself to a nice colourfull window display.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's another link with info (weights, widths, range of motion etc) on many ski touring boots. You can even specify search criteria.

https://skitourguru.com/en/equipment/category/4-skiboots
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:

Some more here

What a great article! Thanks for posting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again to everyone for the responses and helpful info. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Endorphin to Tecnica Cochise. Both needed stretching for my flipper feet. Spend more time on piste so was a better option of what was available.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Garmonts ski boots were bought by Scott and afaik some of their ranges are continuations of at least some of Garmonts ski boot models. (iirc the first Cosmos model WAS a rebranded garmont ski boot...)

However that doesn't mean they are now the correct choice for you (even if they are what I use (n.b. the unaltered cosmos 3 I have for touring are the most comfortable boots I have ever used and could have been custom built for my feet, but that is just my feet and they were bought from a reasonably well regarded fitter after renting a set for some day touring...))

As pointed out it has changed drastically in the last 10 years (mainly I suspect because of how much bindings have improved - some pin based boots can be used in some alpine bindings and pin bindings are far better so a lot of users now want hybrid setups that perform close to an alpine binding/boot combo off piste but can be used for short tours (1hr) to access interesting terrain, resulting in money in improving touring boots).

TLDR : go talk to CEM/Solutions4feet (alternative good bootfitters accepted) about current boot choices for your intended use (and be truthful - what you want for day tours to find fresh powder isn't necessarily the same as what you want for skimo racing even if both use pin bindings and touring boots).
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:

I don't think it's as much about bootfitting, as trying them on snow - not that that will be possible before purchase.

Hence why a boot fitter is very much worth it! both from getting a boot that matches your foot volume, flex pattern, size etc, down to knowing how to heat the liner (and shell in some modern boots) as well as cooling it before you move and then machining out areas for bone spurs, bunions, or other weird things on peoples feet!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy