Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Epic video of snow removal Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/A1zzLW0-P5U

I just came across this video with beautiful shots of the snow removal on the Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße in Austria
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wonder how many small animals get sucked up by one of those machines ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@eblunt, how many small animals live in the snow?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dunno about small animals, but a human got taken out by one of those at Mt Bachelor in 2006. Guy was camping in the parking lot and for some reason decided to sleep outside his car. It was his last Bad Idea.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scooter in Seattle,
I heard a story many years ago about (I think it was) Glenshee. The mayor's dog took exception to a snowblower working in the street and challenged it. Unsurprisingly, the snowblower won!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Nemisis, Glenshee has a mayor?

None of the Scottish uplifts are very near anywhere big enough for a town hall! I sniff urban myth.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was a Scottish BASI instructor who told me, so believe it or not. . . . . . . . . . .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@eblunt, how many small animals live in the snow?

Voles, shrews, hares, black grouse and marmot for a start.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eblunt wrote:

Easy to spot though, when it happens wink

Ski content too Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/AiQK8dLXy5E
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@eblunt, don’t marmots hibernate? Pretty sure any small animals would hear those coming …

@Nemisis, and you believe anything a Scottish instructor tells you? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apologies for asking a relevant question Toofy Grin Laughing What are they clearing too, a tunnel linking 2 parts of an area?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thefatcontroller, it's a mountain pass toll road that is open in summer only. Every year in May there is the job of clearing the road, this year was a bit more work than usual, but not especially out of the ordinary.

There is a tunnel at the border of Salzburgerland and Kärnten.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eblunt I do hope that any potential animals hear the machines coming or even feel their vibrations and can escape on time!

As for humans involved in snow removal accidents, according to google there seem to be quite a few fatalities. Even if people just use a simple shovel they might die of a heart attack. It seems to be more dangerous than skiing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thefatcontroller, they are clearing this road https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index
snow report
@Mankei, @Simony, Thanks
ski holidays
@Nemisis, looks like the dog caught the car on that one, never ends well.

@thefatcontroller,shame! Very Happy

Here in Washington we have our own snow removal/pass reopening video on youtube "Clearing SR410 Chinook Pass for the 2021 season". Compared to the video above, which is of such high quality it is silly, ours (made by WSDOT, not Sidney Pollack) is grimy and simple, though you learn a couple things. Such as: the concept of snow storage. Moving the problem to a new location requires....a location! I managed office buildings back in the day, including some in Anchorage. Had to rent land to store snow removed from our parking lots. Such land becomes polluted, too, as you concentrate the vehicle detritus in these areas as the snow melts.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, Yep, different gravy the WSDOT one but not without its charm wink
snow report
FWIW is there something primal about snow clearing? Man's desire to control the elements? Just blogged on this last month:

"Why do we love photos of ‘déneigement’?"
https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2021/06/why-do-we-love-photos-of-deneigement/
latest report
@iainm, maybe. Even non-snow people marvel at those machines. Maybe it is because we shovel snow in such a feeble way in comparison!
snow report
iainm wrote:
FWIW is there something primal about snow clearing? Man's desire to control the elements? Just blogged on this last month:

"Why do we love photos of ‘déneigement’?"
https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2021/06/why-do-we-love-photos-of-deneigement/

I live somewhere where we get a few cm of snow every year so to see how the seasons change in snowy areas is facinating to watch. Maybe I'm just sad geek. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Great video that made me:
- Nostalgic for snow-covered mountains.
- Wonder when (if?) we'll ever be able to travel to such amazing places, without so much as a care in the world, ever again... rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Wonder when (if?) we'll ever be able to travel to such amazing places, without so much as a care in the world, ever again...

I wondered that, too. Also wondered how those guys know where the road goes, when it's all covered in so many metres of snow. Lovely video to watch during a rare UK heatwave. snowHead
ski holidays
Bones wrote:
eblunt wrote:

Easy to spot though, when it happens wink

Ski content too Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/AiQK8dLXy5E

That is gold! Love it
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy