Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yorkshire visit - any advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@bambionskiis, Holmfirth - also give the winery a visit.

Just don't expect any locally produced wine!

Why not???

From experience I know it can be marginal to get outdoor grown tomatoes to ripen here, never mind grapes.

See their website.

Even better - visit and drink their wine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambionskiis, …and every place you visit, say ‘Eh up’ as a greeting and ‘See thee’ as a farewell.

Also mention casually that in the 2012 London Olympic medals table, Yorkshire on its own would have finished 12th, above Australia.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PeakyB, When I was 12 we moved from Durham to Doncaster in Yorkshire. In those days regional accents and dialects were much more varied and stonger. They even varied quite a lot over tiny areas. My dad could tell which village you came from depending on your accent. I was told the accent in Doncaster, which is the border between the Midlands: Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire and the North had a very different accent than North Yorkshire. Some of the other immigrants with us were from the Fife coalfields, a distinct and different Scottish accent. I never understood a word anyone said.

I still don't know when you are meant to say "thee" and when you are meant to say "thou".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's easy...

Thee means you. Si'thee - I'll see you.
Thou means you. Thou are - You are.

Obvious, innit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We never say thou in Yorkshire.

Check Yorkshire Prose on twitter and YouTube.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We never say thou in Yorkshire.

They did in Doncaster in the 1960s
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickYoung, hmm? I'm sure I remember my Grandad quoting 'if tho' does ought for nought tho' must do it for the sen'. He was born and bred in Dewsbury. I' fairly sure remember the ow sound rather than the ee sound. But maybe it was because it was a quote? My grandparents accents were so strong my Dad sometimes had to translate Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bambionskiis
Thou’d better Google…
‘audio yorkshire accent’
…and get thee sen speaking proper afore Holmfirth. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We could argue all day about accents! As ever it is shades of grey as you move about the county, however, we are becoming more homogenized as we move about. For me you can tell a South Yorkie from a north on with us and our as the plural possessive.

I've read quite a lot of the old East Riding dialect, it often is a mystery if I read it, if I read it out loud then it is much clearer! Strange but true.

Another lingual oddity is Hull, there are hints of Liverpudlian to it, I can only assume it was influenced by visiting seafarers like Liverpool. Describing this point in words with examples is beyond me though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier wrote:
@NickYoung, hmm? I'm sure I remember my Grandad quoting 'if tho' does ought for nought tho' must do it for the sen'. He was born and bred in Dewsbury. I' fairly sure remember the ow sound rather than the ee sound. But maybe it was because it was a quote? My grandparents accents were so strong my Dad sometimes had to translate Laughing

It would be "tha". Weres tha bin? (Where have you been?).

Do it for thi'sen. (Do it for yourself). Si'thi (see you later).

If tha's gunna do owt for nowt, do it for thi'sen. "Owt" is not like "out" - it's an "ow" sound.

All very "On Ilkla Moor Bah't At" (though there are some old recordings where it's sung in a slightly different dialect).

Dialects are dying out (unfortunately), or certainly becoming homogenised.

The difference of a few miles makes is huge - Leeds, Wakefield, Pontefract, Barnsley - all discernibly different (proper Barnsley is a majestic tongue).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickYoung, .... 'Ear all, see all, say nowt. Eat all, drink all, pay nowt."

".. And if ya evar does owt for nowt, allus does it fo thissen.."
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimastaaah wrote:
@NickYoung, .... 'Ear all, see all, say nowt. Eat all, drink all, pay nowt."

".. And if ya evar does owt for nowt, allus does it fo thissen.."

That's the Law!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m Bristolian originally so I’m concerned about a possible language barrier then. Ooh ‘eck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bambionskiis, As Google translate seems not to recognise Yorkshire as a language you'll just have to rely on snowHead translate.

Oh and don't be offended if someone calls you love, it's just a local gender neutral tradition that has made one or two folk jump onto the offence bus.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bambionskiis, Don't worry about it - imagine you are going skiing in say Serbia, Iran or the USA you wouldn't expect to know the language there either. Well I don't, yet I manage. Turning up at a new school aged 12 and not understanding a word anyone said to me has stood me in good stead for my whole life Smile
snow report
@bambionskiis, I think I speak for everyone on here, when I say we expect a detailed review of your visit, on this thread.
snow report
@bambionskiis, and Bristol folk haven’t got a strong accent?
ski holidays
@bambionskiis,
Quote:

I’m Bristolian originally so I’m concerned about a possible language barrier then. Ooh ‘eck.

Unless they look a right meeder, ask for a cheeky glider and let us know how it goes snowHead
latest report
Looking forward to learning a new language then Very Happy . I’m of the age where it’s said to help ward off dementia so I’ll look on it as a therapeutic experience. Can’t wait.
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:

Then you'd best know the real ale comes with a head on it - don't look like a tourist and ask for a pint to be 'topped up'. wink
snow report
Not a problem for me as I’m a cider drinker but I’ll pass that on to hubby thank you Toofy Grin
snow report
@bambionskiis, Best Yorkshire beers ............ Timothy Taylors, based in Keighley, "Landlords" bitter. Mashams best "Old Peculier".

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/beer-cider-perry/best-yorkshire-beer-a7836101.html

snowHead
latest report
skimastaaah, Some good beers there, also a fan of Black Sheeps Riggwelter Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:

Then you'd best know the real ale comes with a head on it - don't look like a tourist and ask for a pint to be 'topped up'. wink
and you'll get pint glasses with the pint level marked on it, leaving room for a head and it also allows you to carry it without spilling a fair bit on the floor.

Those southern rim glasses are beyond dumb.
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:
Not a problem for me as I’m a cider drinker but I’ll pass that on to hubby thank you Toofy Grin

Then you'll be looking for Pure North and 'Udders Orchard, the local cider makers. For local real ale brewers check Huddersfield CAMRA website - be warned, there are quite a few of them, including Nook, brewed in Holmfirth. Very Happy
ski holidays
Is The Nook pub still going strong? I was a regular visitor at one time. A university mate lived in Honley and a fair proportion of my grant cheque (remember those?) went over the bar at The Nook.
latest report
Cheers for that @Kenzie,

They’re doing rooms @DJL, which look really nice so I’d say they’re doing ok. Unfortunately id already booked accommodation or otherwise I’d have seriously considered it.
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
Is The Nook pub still going strong? I was a regular visitor at one time. A university mate lived in Honley and a fair proportion of my grant cheque (remember those?) went over the bar at The Nook.

The Nook beers were in fine form first Saturday of this month.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy