Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can ski boots be made narrower

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently went to get my boots widened a bit but didn’t specify how much wider to make them, worried they are a bit too wide now cause the guy stretched them by 10mm. Is it possible to make them narrower? For reference they are Salomon s/max 110.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quick answer, no, not easily ...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends. If the stretch is a "pop out" punch in a particular area somethimes that can be reversed by application of the same heat and a punch back in. If you've been ground out (seems unlikely for 10mm) then that's obviously not possible. Depends on plastic type and skill of the fitter of course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was a pop out
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SaltyRooster, I mean … you can always pack stuff in …

Why do you think so much too big?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It happens - I once went to a shop in resort to get some mods done on some specific niggles which involved a couple of punches. The bootfitter seemed a bit like he wasn't really listening to my feedback and was working to his predetermined ideas. Went and skied the boots and it felt like I'd gone from something snug to where I was slopping around and had reduced control particularly in moguls. Went back to the boss man at the shop and he part reversed the relevant punches and apologised for the staff attitude. No particular ill feeling on my part - it's an art not a science and is only as good as the feedback loop working between fitter and victim.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SaltyRooster, S Max is a custom shell boot so almost all of the lower shell is heat mouldable. Did you not have them custom heat fitted in the first place to get to the right width? It's not ideal to punch out one side by 10mm as it puts your foot off centre in the boot. It should really be 5mm each side to keep you centred unless you're dealing with a very specific issue like a bunion.

If they've never been custom fitted, then just make an appointment with a suitable boot fitter and follow the due process - it'll reset the shape/width of the boot automatically to your foot.

If you don't want to refit the whole boot, then assuming that the area of the pop out is in a mouldable area (it most likely is) you can just heat it up and it'll shrink back to its original shape. If it's only one area you'll need a paint stripper type heatgun to get it hot enough. If the rest of the boot has never been custom fitted and is the original last shape you could just immerse the lower shell in boiling water for 10 minutes and the stretched area should go back to its original width as it cools down. The rest of the boot will stay as it is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy